Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

zoux posted:

You guys need to watch the season again, Elektra is one of the Black Sky candidates, Stick captures her, so later when DD thwarts their Black Sky Plans they turn to Elektra once they realize what she is.

It's possible I missed something, but the shift from indefinite to definite articles when discussing Black Sky is jarring and noticeable, and I don't recall any acknowledgment of the kids from S1 or earlier in S2 after that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

but the shift from indefinite to definite articles when discussing Black Sky is jarring and noticeable,

Dear lord.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Dear lord.

No, it's a pretty clear case of the show contradicting its own mythology, I think. As soon as Elektra is revealed as "the" Black Sky, the show completely abandons any acknowledgment that it's possible for anyone else to be one... so who was the kid Stick killed in S1, exactly?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, it's like there are many who can be but only one who will be.

Like if people were complaining that it they thought it was a tired and done to hell subplot, this search for the evil chosen one, that would make more sense to me. It's like people are getting baffled by an evil twin plot or something "Why do they both look the same???? PLOT HOLE!!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It wasn't an evil chosen one plot before Elektra turned out to be one, though. It seemed more like a mystical WMD.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Oh I'm sure they just want a kid around, the pitter patter of little feet. What the gently caress do you think the magic ninjas want with the special there can be only one child? You need to know if they are going to be the VP or the EVP of the Ushering in the Final Days Department?

I think some of yall are being willfully obtuse so you can be mad at the show.

I agree for the most part that they don't really need to spell out the "Elektra is an evil chosen one candidate" but people aren't being willfully obtuse so they can be mad at the show. They are mad at the show for ending bad and just misattributing things in their attempt to explain why it's bad.

The Elektra stuff is kinda weird because on the one hand they blatantly show us mysticism (Nobu coming back to life and weird brainwashed zombies) but they shy away from it when it comes to a better explanation/clear stakes of the Black Sky. I did think she had a great line when Matt was expressing his skepticism of the mystical poo poo when she said "it doesn't matter if none of it's true, they will still do horrible poo poo in my name". That kind of let's them have it both ways, but still clashes with showing people rising from the dead and junk.

The real reason it was bad though is because it ended with a wet fart of a finale. The Punisher stuff resolves with him shooting two guys and sharing a metaphorical thumbs up with DD, the fight with the Hand comes down to a cliched "henchmen stand around in a circle watching the main players fight" and then there's just a rush to finish things out in the last 10 minutes. I think people are trying to work their way backwards to find the problem within the story itself, when I think the issue is that it was just sloppily executed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

S1x08, 9m30s. Nobu: "It will be difficult to locate another Black Sky. They are extremely rare."

Guy A. Person posted:

I agree for the most part that they don't really need to spell out the "Elektra is an evil chosen one candidate" but people aren't being willfully obtuse so they can be mad at the show. They are mad at the show for ending bad and just misattributing things in their attempt to explain why it's bad.

The Elektra stuff is kinda weird because on the one hand they blatantly show us mysticism (Nobu coming back to life and weird brainwashed zombies) but they shy away from it when it comes to a better explanation/clear stakes of the Black Sky. I did think she had a great line when Matt was expressing his skepticism of the mystical poo poo when she said "it doesn't matter if none of it's true, they will still do horrible poo poo in my name". That kind of let's them have it both ways, but still clashes with showing people rising from the dead and junk.

The real reason it was bad though is because it ended with a wet fart of a finale. The Punisher stuff resolves with him shooting two guys and sharing a metaphorical thumbs up with DD, the fight with the Hand comes down to a cliched "henchmen stand around in a circle watching the main players fight" and then there's just a rush to finish things out in the last 10 minutes. I think people are trying to work their way backwards to find the problem within the story itself, when I think the issue is that it was just sloppily executed.

Nah man they just aren't paying attention, as usual, and getting mad instead of assuming they missed something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Chalk me up to being thrown by the Black Sky stuff. I too thought there could only be one until the Elektra reveal, which made me ask questions about the kid from S1.

Overall the Hand stuff was just really sloppy, which is a shame because that was the finale as well. I still enjoyed it despite the sloppiness, but I hope they clean things up next go around.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

S1x08, 9m30s. Nobu: "It will be difficult to locate another Black Sky. They are extremely rare."

Nah man they just aren't paying attention, as usual, and getting mad instead of assuming they missed something.

I didn't miss that, though. That's several episodes before Elektra is revealed as "the" Black Sky, at which point it turns from poorly defined evil mystical WMD to poorly defined Evil Chosen One with no real explanation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

I didn't miss that, though. That's several episodes before Elektra is revealed as "the" Black Sky, at which point it turns from poorly defined evil mystical WMD to poorly defined Evil Chosen One with no real explanation.

Wait, so you were confused by the use of def/indef articles but you already knew that Black Skies weren't singular?

Well, I had no problem figuring out what the Black Sky was narratively and I watched the whole thing high as gently caress, I encourage you to go back and watch it again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So the black sky isn't a person or persons that is a living wmd, but a chosen one now?

I should clarify. The living wmd part is them just being an incredibly gifted killer or the potential to become a gifted killer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the Black Sky is some badass living weapon, Elektra is a terrible Black Sky.

She's not even as good as 2 blind guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean this has an exact analogue in Iron Fist and since this is the comic subforum, y'all should know better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

If the Black Sky is some badass living weapon, Elektra is a terrible Black Sky.

She's not even as good as 2 blind guys.

Literally what I was going to post. Like, as chosen ones who contain great power go, Elektra sure does get beat up/stabbed a lot.

Ultimately the Hand plot disappointed me because comics have conditioned me to think that the Hand are a loving joke and DD and Elektra should have been dropping ninjas left and right.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I mean this has an exact analogue in Iron Fist and since this is the comic subforum, y'all should know better.

Which comic series is this in so I can read it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Immortal Iron Fist.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr Hootington posted:

So the black sky isn't a person or persons that is a living wmd, but a chosen one now?

I should clarify. The living wmd part is them just being an incredibly gifted killer or the potential to become a gifted killer.

All of the above. The black sky is chosen as a leader/figurehead because a prophesy said they would be super good at murdering. There are many candidates but only Electra made it into adulthood because The Chaste are really good at murdering children.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Because my memory sucks--when did Stick learn she was the Black Sky?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Because my memory sucks--when did Stick learn she was the Black Sky?

Apparently before he began training her.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

All of the above. The black sky is chosen as a leader/figurehead because a prophesy said they would be super good at murdering. There are many candidates but only Electra made it into adulthood because The Chaste are really good at murdering children.

This is kinda what I thought it was, but am not understanding what everyone is confused about.

Stick said he was a black sky too. I figured what it meant was those who had the potential to become merciless killers and seemed to have lots of tragedy happen when they are young that breaks the child.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Supergirl finale was pretty meh. It would have been better without the stupid Superman stuff. If they can't have him on the show, I would prefer they not do stupid poo poo like what they have been doing. It's not cute, it's just really bad and dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

The Supergirl finale was pretty meh. It would have been better without the stupid Superman stuff. If they can't have him on the show, I would prefer they not do stupid poo poo like what they have been doing. It's not cute, it's just really bad and dumb.

Does she still talk to him almost exclusively through terribly worded texts?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Wait, so you were confused by the use of def/indef articles but you already knew that Black Skies weren't singular?

Well, I had no problem figuring out what the Black Sky was narratively and I watched the whole thing high as gently caress, I encourage you to go back and watch it again.

They definitely weren't written as being singular up until the episode where Elektra is revealed as one! At which point everyone starts talking about the Black Sky as an Evil Chosen One prophecy that refers to a singular individual and the show ceases to acknowledge anything Black Sky-related that transpired prior to that revelation.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Does she still talk to him almost exclusively through terribly worded texts?

Yup. And these were probably the worst of them all!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Get a first look at Danny Rand filming for Iron Fist.

http://delevingned.tumblr.com/post/143025486926/finn-jones-on-the-set-of-iron-fist-in-nyc

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is that like a first model iPod?

Looks like he's just getting back from K'un Lun. So we're probably gonna have people think he's crazy and have to prove he's Danny Rand, and then he's gonna bust out the kung-fu and the mystical poo poo will come to prove he's not crazy.

Don't see any dragon tattoo on his chest though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Danny Rand doesn't have curly hair.

This is loving bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Danny Rand doesn't have curly hair.

This is loving bullshit.

Once he gets back from the Himalayas he hooks up with Misty Knight and she introduces him to some industrial strength straighteners.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

I know this is almost certainly not the case but the second and third pictures make me think he's whimsically skipping through the streets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

Yup. And these were probably the worst of them all!

Oof. That's unfortunate.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So how did the Guardians cartoon end up being? I remember people being really positive on the first couple of episodes but then nothing. I looked it up and they had an Inhumans episode and everything, I kinda wanna check it out.

edit: sorry forgot there's an animation thread

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 19, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

- Clancy Brown's testimony, while awesome because Clancy, delivered in 3rd person because I guess he expected an actual record scratch to play when he revealed the truth at the end.

this one bugged me at first but I let it slide because I figured it was planned that way by Foggy to throw the prosecution off their game.

the "treating the witness as hostile and then not asking him anything" is mind-blowingly stupid to anyone who's even caught half an episode of Law and Order before though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this one bugged me at first but I let it slide because I figured it was planned that way by Foggy to throw the prosecution off their game.
The prosecution would have had access to the same information if Foggy knew it, though, and would have come out in their pre-trial deposition with him.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 19, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

The prosecution would have had access to the same information if Foggy knew it, though.

Shows what I know. It would be nice if a show where the three lead characters all work for a legal firm made any pretense toward caring how that stuff works. The hostile witness thing was some of the most egregious "we're banking on the audience being stupid" writing I've seen on TV or film in a long minute.

The dope action scenes* and generally solid acting helped paper over it for me, but a lot of the writing this season was stone cold stupid.

*except that final rooftop battle, holy poo poo

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It pains me that this thread complains about the decline of the DC shows but no one else seems to be watching the best comic book show on network television: Agents of SHIELD. outside of the recent Bobbi/Hunter sendoff episode, every episode has been good to amazing for over two seasons now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Little Mac posted:

It pains me that this thread complains about the decline of the DC shows but no one else seems to be watching the best comic book show on network television: Agents of SHIELD. outside of the recent Bobbi/Hunter sendoff episode, every episode has been good to amazing for over two seasons now.

I watch it every week, and it is mediocre at best 99% of the time. Opinions. There isn't anything to talk about because it kind of plods along doing whatever. The show would probably be better received and inherently more interesting if it weren't part of the MCU, but it is, so...

Agent Carter is a far better show, as are the Netflix shows. AOS is in dead last for Marvel TV for me (and I suspect a lot of people.) I know plenty of people who love the Netflix shows and laugh at how lovely SHIELD is in comparison. Even my dad stopped watching AoS recently, which is insane, given his tastes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

I watch it (I sometimes let it accumulate on my Tivo for a few weeks, though) and enjoy it (mostly). The loss of Bobbi and Hunter sucks, and Lincoln and Mack are still terrible, but I still enjoy Coulson/Skye/Fitz & Simmons quite a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every episode since the break but one has been pretty boring.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, opinions and all that, but I'm actually on the side of really liking AoS. I definitely look more forward to it every week then any of the DC shows currently. Which is a shame given how much I loved them previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Little Mac posted:

There is a thread in TVIV about it. It is a good show!