Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Now that I've beaten the game, I'm

A) eager to replay it, this time as a Dex/Pyro Ninja instead of a Strength Tank and
B) looking forward to parking 4 to 5 characters at fun boss fights to Sunbro in perpetuity.

Regarding the latter, I'm thinking Abyss Watchers, the Pontiff, the Dancer, Wolnir, Dragonslayer Armor, and the Prince will always have people needing help, not to mention Champion and the final boss, although my level 80 character can probably reliably stay summonable for the last two. I'm hoping we figure out decent soul levels and weapon upgrade ranges for the various bosses by the time I finish my second playthrough.

Farron Keep and Irithyll Dungeon seem like great levels people will need lots of help on the entire way through, too. I'm looking forward to months of being a big helper boy.

Although... maybe I want to try out Mound Makers and bluecoppin' instead... hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So boss soul weapons can't be upgraded right?

Yes they can, they just can't be infused.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress YOU TWINS YOU'RE FINALLY DEAD

Jesus I don't know why but that was like the hardest boss ever for me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Huh, I just realized I really have no idea where the hell do I turn in my sunbro medals for profit

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So some items mentioned a girl imprisoned in The Great Archives but I never found her in my playthrough. Is that a sidequest? Is it related to being able to wax my head?

There's a way in by dropping in from the roof outside to find her.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Is it just me, or is the netcode complete flaming garbage this time around? Yesterday most PvP encounters were laggy as hell, and today every single one has had at least one person stuck in the non-animating default pose with hits not registering (or registering from far away). Is there any way to make this, y'know, not happen so much? I don't have cross-region play enabled or anything.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Run around it, position yourself so it's between you and the ballista and wait for it to die. There's even a nice little foxhole there so the bolts don't hit you.

Wow, I didn't even know the shots would hit that thing. I actually ran past it, all the way through demon-town and back up to kill the ballista, and then came back down and stabbed it to bits. If you get up next to it the lightning breath won't hit you, and you can wail on it for a few hits each time it pops up. It does do damage just by moving near you, though, so you have to watch for that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah all of the bosses in this game seem like they're well placed for co-op action, so I doubt we'll have as many dead zones for the main route as you do in Dark Souls.

Of due note, is anyone else really itching to play Dark Souls 1 now?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm busy for the next two days and I'm having serious DS3 withdrawals. I'll just keep listening to the soundtrack and plodding away at work. :(

In response to the losing bloodstain post above...

I remember being terrified and irate at losing souls in DS1 because it was unlike anything I ever played before. I fought so hard for those souls and the game screwed me out of them! I miss my first few weeks with DS1 and the constant state of terror I played in. I played DS1 off and on until DS2, played that, then Demons, the SOTFS and none of them matched the fear I felt in DS1. DS3 is recapturing it somewhat. I'm not stressed about losing souls, but the enemies and environments feel punishing and huge the way they did in DS1. Estus flask is on E, but I've come this far, the next Bon fire has to be nearby, right?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Calaveron posted:

Huh, I just realized I really have no idea where the hell do I turn in my sunbro medals for profit

Late game, Lothric Castle, before the Grand Archives somewhere in the halls

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

McTimmy posted:

There's a way in by dropping in from the roof outside to find her.

Oh poo poo! You mean where those fat rear end angels are?

drat...I missed so much poo poo...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Is it just me, or is the netcode complete flaming garbage this time around? Yesterday most PvP encounters were laggy as hell, and today every single one has had at least one person stuck in the non-animating default pose with hits not registering (or registering from far away). Is there any way to make this, y'know, not happen so much? I don't have cross-region play enabled or anything.

They managed to reverse three games of progress on it, yes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Has anyone actually killed those? What do they drop? I tried to stand against them the last time I went through but was like nope

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I thought for SURE there would be a bell to ring at the top of that tower they were sitting on.

codo27 posted:

Has anyone actually killed those? What do they drop? I tried to stand against them the last time I went through but was like nope

Slab

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

codo27 posted:

Has anyone actually killed those? What do they drop?

Titanite Slab when they're all down

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
(location and NPC summon/enemy spoilers) The flow of time itself is convoluted, there's no telling how much longer my NPC phantoms will remain invincible to everything in the level, including THEMSELVES. :v:

An invader was able to hurt them. I didn't want to lose the magic though so I ran away from him. Then I let the phantoms kill the boss for me.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Operant posted:

Is the Dancer's soul description implying that the Dancer is some sort of corrupted Gwynevere?

Ithiryll is all kinds of hosed up, man

I'm not sure how that would fit. She's already long gone in the Dark Souls 1 timeframe.

I'm not sure I like the plot as much this time around. It seems like you are just wandering around a jumble of ideas instead of a more coherent place. That seems to be part of the design - everything has sort of melded together. But Dark Souls 1 especially had a much stronger sense of place and interconnectedness. This seems like it's more a string of callbacks connected by random dungeons.

Also they need to give the graveyard/tombstone aesthetic a rest at this point.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

codo27 posted:

They drop great upgrade materials and 13k souls each.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I heard about the bridge thing in the Catacombs and smacked it before crossing.

Well, that was quite the surprise behind me. :3: Managed to run away and coax them 2 or 3 at a time.

Skeletons are loving garbage in this game. Their big brothers are a pain in the rear end tho.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Fire seems mega OP, particularly against some annoying late game enemies and sections.

I got that Deep Battle Axe; is dark damage still scaled off faith and int combined?

This thread is moving too fast so unsure if it got answered.

Deep & Dark are two different infusions. Deep adds some flat Dark damage while removing all scaling and Dark adds Dark damage that scales with INT/FTH and reduces other scalings. It's the same way with Fire/Chaos.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This thread is moving too fast so unsure if it got answered.

Deep & Dark are two different infusions. Deep adds some flat Dark damage while removing all scaling and Dark adds Dark damage that scales with INT/FTH and reduces other scalings. It's the same way with Fire/Chaos.

Ahhh, so the Deep Axe is kind of just a flat upgrade early game weapon. I guess I'll have to look for a good Dark weapon once my pyro's levels get up.

Although maybe I'd do high STR, 20/20 FTH and INT, 40 STR? Greatshield and pyro flame?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Operant posted:

Is the Dancer's soul description implying that the Dancer is some sort of corrupted Gwynevere?

Ithiryll is all kinds of hosed up, man

its pretty obviously Ciaran

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God damned. I just wasted 9 cracked red eye orbs trying to invade. I suck at pvp/disconnects are annoying.

Time to go fight a fire demon and get a tongue that way I guess :(

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Of due note, is anyone else really itching to play Dark Souls 1 now?

Yup I'm going straight to Demon Souls first after this. I played a bit of it but stopped playing for some reason. Same with DS1. I beat DS2 and Bloodborne but playing DS3 is making me want to go back.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've beaten the pontiff and I'll have 7/8 twinking titanite to upgrade my weapon once i've bought what i can from the shrine maiden. Do I have far to go to get another so I have make my weapon +4? I finally have the 50 strength required to hold it and might be a bit overlevelled for where i am as a result

just got summoned from the church and managed to run someone all the way back to the bonfire and then have the pontiff bug out to beat him lol

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I could just stand around on the parapet area where the Stray Demon is all day and take in the view, I swear.

Also holy poo poo that area is loot city. :homebrew:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm a warrior who has made it up to the Halfway Fortress. Ive found some basic weapons in many categories. To date, the most unique weapon I have found is the Deep BattleAxe (my main) and the Butcher Knife (just got it)

I have lots of Titanite it feels like... and basically I haven't upgraded a goddamned thing. I have upgrade fear. I don't want to waste materials or whatever if they can be used on some RAD weapons later.

Stuff that is rad to me:

GreatSwords
Great axes
Really interesting pole arm type weapons
Anything super interesting or crazy.

I guess just looking for a little advice/guidance.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
The dancer's and rosaria's souls each give you Gwynevere-related miracles if you transpose them. Since we know the Pontiff is hostile to Gwyn's family, and that the dancer has been relegated to be an exiled outrider knight who inevitably become insane and rosaria has had her tongue removed and installed in the cathedral of the deep, we can assume they're related to Gwynevere somehow, maybe they're some more of her children

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Did dancer's swords get buffed

Feenix posted:

So I'm a warrior who has made it up to the Halfway Fortress. Ive found some basic weapons in many categories. To date, the most unique weapon I have found is the Deep BattleAxe (my main) and the Butcher Knife (just got it)

I have lots of Titanite it feels like... and basically I haven't upgraded a goddamned thing. I have upgrade fear. I don't want to waste materials or whatever if they can be used on some RAD weapons later.

upgrade whatever you want to use because
-you will find a lot of upgrade mats
-upgrades aren't make or break
-you'll be able to buy upgrade mats from the vendor

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Okay, attempt 5 and ODK is seriously pissing me off. I'm going to come back to it later after co-oping enough to heal my Sigil

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol so yeah, I at SL50 was able to summon my SL99 friend via password, and then take off my password and summon red phantoms to my delight. They did not fare well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spite posted:

I'm not sure how that would fit. She's already long gone in the Dark Souls 1 timeframe.

I'm not sure I like the plot as much this time around. It seems like you are just wandering around a jumble of ideas instead of a more coherent place. That seems to be part of the design - everything has sort of melded together. But Dark Souls 1 especially had a much stronger sense of place and interconnectedness. This seems like it's more a string of callbacks connected by random dungeons.

Also they need to give the graveyard/tombstone aesthetic a rest at this point.

It's more coherent than Dark Souls 2 but still disjointed, yeah. It doesn't help that so much time has passed that the landscape itself has made the connections between areas less obvious - Farron Keep used to be an entire grandiose castle, for one, but gradually fell into neglect, and the swamp reclaimed much of it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Feenix posted:

Stuff that is rad to me:

GreatSwords
Great axes
Really interesting pole arm type weapons
Anything super interesting or crazy.

I guess just looking for a little advice/guidance.

Stop being afraid and experiment, you should have a source of purchasable titanite by now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bonewitch posted:

its pretty obviously Ciaran

The strongest argument I've seen against that is that Ciaran was definitely dead in DS1. You find her Hornet Ring on a corpse behind Artorias's Grave. Anyone else returning was at most "optionally" dead (like Gwyndolin or Andre) or was fought in a place chock full of illusions (Ornstein apparently having survived the fight with the Chosen Undead, maybe because that wasn't really him).

The visual callback is pretty strong, though.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

I need help.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have a Twin Princes Soul they wouldn't mind giving/trading to me?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

You need a mod to give your character a Shrek voice.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

If anyone ever says they're gonna buzz off, kill them immediately so you can get their stuff because they're lying about that "We're enemies now bit", they're actually about to dodge you for the rest of the game.

That's what I did and all she drops is a charm.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

You need to dress him in the Onion Knight garb immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok thanks for the push to Reinforce. One last question. Any reason I can't infuse the Butcher Knife?