Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

Yes I have played Theme Aquarium. I was about 12 years old and saved up about £20 of paper round money to buy it from Electronic Boutique in Blackpool town center. I loved Theme Hospital and I really wanted to be a marine biologist when I grew up so it must have been the perfect game right? It was loving rubbish, knowing that it was a PS1 port explains so much about how godwful the control and menu system was. If I remember correctly you could place down a bunch of tanks, then stock them with various fish. The deathknell for the whole thing was that you couldn't see the fish swimming in the tank, it was always the same crappy tank sprite. It was so terrible I played it like twice and traded it in for about 20p. Avoid at all costs.

That's a real fuckin shame. Maybe the original PSX version is better? I wonder if there's a fan translation.

Gonna try OpenRCT2 on my Surface. I'm hoping it has a scaling feature for HiDPI devices, since it's difficult enough to read small text on this at 150% normal size, I imagine text designed for 640x480 on a 15" monitor is going to be microscopic on a 10" screen at 1920x1280.

EDIT: loving awesome! The game has a scale setting that operates independently of Windows' scaling (at least in borderless fullscreen). Game looks great.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone familiar enough with OpenRCT2 know why when I open a save in the scenario editor or load a landscape it goes straight to the Objective Selection without letting me go back and edit the terrain and stuff? I want to tweak the map a bit and this isn't helping at all!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I won a copy of Theme Hospital at my girlfriends dry-grad. EA had set up a booth with various games and such for the dorks that wanted to go to a dry-grad (seriously there were about eight people there, it was the worst). We ended up playing whatever was the latest version of their baseball game in 1995, and I won the home-run competition and got a copy of Theme Hospital.

Welp, that's my story.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So; should this thread become an all-encompassing Theme Park Video Game thread? I can't imagine having another thread just for Planet Coaster or Parkitect would get many hits considering the relatively slow pace of this one. In that case, thread title suggestions? Once I get rid of this headache I will look into expanding the second post to give information about PC/Parkitect (or even shove them in the OP somehow). If anyone knows about other games from the past (Thrillville?) that they want to do a write up about, I can put those in as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like Planet Coaster Alpha 2 may be at the end of the month.

https://twitter.com/EGX/status/718467826718220288?s=09

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

There's an OpenRCT2? :aaaaa:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Daztek posted:

There's an OpenRCT2? :aaaaa:

Yes, and it has many wonderful features! Including Multiplayer (most servers are passlocked).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks like Planet Coaster Alpha 2 may be at the end of the month.

https://twitter.com/EGX/status/718467826718220288?s=09

of the next month.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:doh: Wow. How the hell did I...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So; should this thread become an all-encompassing Theme Park Video Game thread? I can't imagine having another thread just for Planet Coaster or Parkitect would get many hits considering the relatively slow pace of this one. In that case, thread title suggestions? Once I get rid of this headache I will look into expanding the second post to give information about PC/Parkitect (or even shove them in the OP somehow). If anyone knows about other games from the past (Thrillville?) that they want to do a write up about, I can put those in as well.

You should talk about Sim Theme Park/Theme Park World and SimCoaster/Theme Park Inc (and Theme Park of course).

Actually if you want you could just make this about management sim "tycoon" games in general.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think we hit the sweet spot in just making this the RCT and Successors Megathread. You can add a blurb about Theme Park and other old stuff in the OP but I doubt there'd be much chat about it. Most the chat seems to be about OpenRCT2, Planet Coaster, and Parkitect.

Basically I think we're fine where we are now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, and it has many wonderful features! Including Multiplayer (most servers are passlocked).

... Multiplayer? How does that even work? I think I know what I will be doing this weekend

Orv
May 4, 2011
This Theme Park Sim Thread Is Really Good Value

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Orv posted:

Thread title immediately.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Planet coaster is looking promising from the sandbox decorative end, so my only worries are what the campaign stuff will be like and how I am complete garbage at creativity/decorating so my parks will just be the saddest things.

Orv posted:

Also this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How do I go about changing the thread title?

:ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How do I go about changing the thread title?

:ohdear:

Ask a mod

Orv
May 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

Planet coaster is looking promising from the sandbox decorative end, so my only worries are what the campaign stuff will be like and how I am complete garbage at creativity/decorating so my parks will just be the saddest things.

When I did those two tiny, lazy-rear end parks I worried I had dug too greedily, and too deep. I worried that I was the austisms. I've been rather happily proven wrong by this point, but I also worry that there'll be some decorative component to the campaign goals and that I'll be miserable at them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

When I did those two tiny, lazy-rear end parks I worried I had dug too greedily, and too deep. I worried that I was the austisms. I've been rather happily proven wrong by this point, but I also worry that there'll be some decorative component to the campaign goals and that I'll be miserable at them.

My obsessions are more along the lines at realizing I've made something comically lopsided and trying to fix it.

I mean, I won't care if my hamburger shacks don't have matching hamburger props. But hopefully they don't dock you decorative points if the decorative support pillars you put on your featureless cube shops are not mirrored properly.

If I'm lucky they will add Sci-Fi props sooner rather than later. On top of liking the Aesthetic in general, it also gives you an excuse to build smooth featureless structures with the occasional decoration.

...poo poo, now I want transparent glass "wire frame" walkways lead customers to the Tron-Scramble 9000, or selling Bladerunner style umbrellas at the gift shop, and I'm sad modding support isn't gonna be A Thing for planet coaster (beyond "Later, maybe")

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I shamelessly stole half of Dante80's posts and updated the OP a bit. I'm sure I did something stupid that I haven't noticed yet. Second post is for shaming RCTW.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 9, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I wrote an effortpost about the Bullfrog Theme Park games that you can put in the OP if you want.

Theme Park

The Amusement Park Construction And Management Simulation Game genre started with Theme Park, originally released for DOS in 1994 by Bullfrog Productions. The original Theme Park contains some features that are still absent in most modern takes on the genre: Making wage deals with employee unions (and suffering strikes if the deals fall through), "sideshow" carnival games where guests can win prizes, managing inventory for your shops, and even selling off your park to start over in a new place with a different climate and customer base. Theme Park was a smash hit and got ported to all sorts of different consoles and operating systems. The game was re-released on the Nintendo DS in 2007 featuring a new selection of advisors instead of the one creepy guy who breaks into your house through your television and abducts your entire family. There's an iOS game of the same name but take a look at Dungeon Keeper Mobile and make one loving guess about how good the iOS remake of this is

Theme Park, just like with all of Bullfrog's games, has a very playful (though occasionally quite darkly) humorous tone, which meshes well with the setting of a theme park. If Roller Coaster Tycoon is more about realism, Theme Park is its stylized older brother, not afraid to stretch reality for a joke.

Buy Theme Park on GoG for $5.99

Theme Park World/Sim Theme Park

After Bullfrog was acquired by Electronic Arts, they released Theme Park World (called Sim Theme Park in the US to tap into EA's Maxis "Sim" brand) in 1999. Theme Park World brought the genre into the third dimension, allowing players to view the park and even ride the rides in first person, something Roller Coaster Tycoon didn't do until its third game 5 years later. Theme Park World eschewed a lot of the deeper management features the original game had, but added a "researcher" staff type that worked in research buildings and invented new rides and stalls for you to build. Theme Park World split the game up into four themes, each with its own specially-themed rides, scenery, shops, sideshows, and whatever else you could imagine. Theme Park World was successful, but didn't get nearly as many ports as its progenitor did: Theme Park World ended up seeing Playstation, Playstation 2, and Mac OS ports.

This game features a voice-acted Advisor character, played by Lewis McLeod in the UK version. Not exactly as darkly entertaining as Richard Ridings, but charming in his own right.

Theme Park World is not available on digital distribution services. You're stuck with either scouring the Internet for a used copy or :pcgaming1:. Bug GoG about it!

Theme Park Inc/SimCoaster

Theme Park Inc (SimCoaster in the US to appeal to Maxis fans) was released in 2001. This game is more RCT2 to Theme Park World's RCT1, where it runs on a similar (if improved) engine and has a very similar feel. However, this game adds a story! You are the assistant manager of a theme park company, hired by the aging President to take his place when he retires. Not only do you have to manage your parks (featuring three all-new themes similar how Theme Park World's worked), but you need to compete with the board of directors for company shares: Once someone gets 51% of the company shares, they become de facto owner, and if that person's not you, you lose the game. You earn company shares by completing challenges, like keeping nausea below a certain amount or placing enough scenery to impress a certain amount of guests. This game strikes a balance in management between the simulation-heavy Theme Park and the more creative Theme Park World, where you'll need to keep your park in top shape in order to gain the trust of the President and earn enough company shares to win the game. While it was critically well received, the game didn't do so hot in sales, and Theme Park Inc would be Bullfrog's swan song before being merged into EA to form EA UK.

Theme Park Inc is not available on digital distribution services. You're stuck with either scouring the Internet for a used copy or :pcgaming1:. Bug GoG about it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I decided "Screw it" and I'd take a crack at Parkitect anyways, if it starts getting really bad on performance as I make a park I'll just... make a smaller park?

Decided I'd make a beachside park, and after an hour of hard work I have...

An entrance. :downs: (I wish I could hide/delete the standard entrance building)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If I buy Parkitect now does my ownership transfer over to steam when it hits early access in May?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

blunt posted:

If I buy Parkitect now does my ownership transfer over to steam when it hits early access in May?

Apparently yes!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Daztek posted:

... Multiplayer? How does that even work? I think I know what I will be doing this weekend

It works but the games can get desynced pretty often and can lead to some weird situations (rides being broken for one client, fine for the other)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Built an "arcade" (its an ATM, and umbrella/souvenir shop to represent winning prizes) and put out the first rides, then I figured a small eating place with room for guests to watch the Dodgems bash eachother would be cool.

Man, if I get this indecisive and "writers block" about the options in Parkitect, Planet Coaster will ruin me.

[edit] This game is cool, but not enough decoration objects. I've got an empty husk of a Dark ride that I just can't think of how to decorate.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 10, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

After a bit of a struggle and some creative (and not entirely successful) use of bits and bobs I finished my Phantom Castle. Its no Haunted Mansion, but given what I have to work with, I think its pretty good. I originally wanted to use some colored fire generators that give off smoke particles and lighting effects, but it absolutely demolished my framerate. I really hope Planet Coaster includes these Haunted Mansion style swiveling cars. :allears:

Ride Album

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 11, 2016

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Galaga Galaxian posted:

After a bit of a struggle and some creative (and not entirely successful) use of bits and bobs I finished my Phantom Castle. Its no Haunted Mansion, but given what I have to work with, I think its pretty good. I originally wanted to use some colored fire generators that give off smoke particles and lighting effects, but it absolutely demolished my framerate. I really hope Planet Coaster includes these Haunted Mansion style swiveling cars. :allears:

Ride Album

I've decided I'm going to wait very patiently for planet coaster, but this is really making me consider parkitect. Does money matter yet in that game? I know in all videos I've seen, everyone is making like no money and thousands or millions of dollars in the red, and I've decided since I like the restriction of needing money, I'm going to wait till a game has that before getting it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm waiting on Parkitect to get scenarios and deeper management before going in.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I bought it earlier today and it seems like money doesn't matter yet which is fine. It's pretty neat so far and their weekly dev updates are actually great at giving a glimpse into how it's going.

When it hits Steam Early Access on May 5th (15th?) its price is going up A WHOLE TWO DOLLARS! As I found this intolerable I saved myself $2 by spending $15. Don't worry about the logic of that when you (I) should be worrying about the logic of not being able to afford to get your (my) car out of the shop and you're (I'm) spending money on paltry little unfinished roller coaster games. THAT'S the real quandary here.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I also picked it up yesterday. Money doesn't matter thankfully because the finances are unbalanced. You'll always be losing money and guests won't pay very much for rides.

I'm more annoyed that the coasters block systems don't seem to be working in this version.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The coaster builder is very flexible.

It is also an insane pain in the rear end currently wrt the brick wall learning curve.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

0.0.4 Stable for Open RCT2 has been released.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

I caved and bought the Planet Coaster early access pack. The architectural wizards in YouTube make theming look so easy. It's so hard to make good looking stuff though. Impressions so far - even the unfinished coaster builder is so incredible. Really like how they handle snapping and banking. It's pretty easy to build cool and mostly realistic coasters in fifteen minutes or so. The theming has some crazy depth to it. The potential is mind boggling. Just look at what people have put on you YouTube already. Definitely do not regret the purchase.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think I lost most of my reasons to run the original, now

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Fix: [#1333] Rides never become safe again after a crash.

Lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
More Parkitect trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAimjvBmZA

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I really like their trailers, styled in the form of a really sketchy local amusement park.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Okay if that's in game, the realtime twist adjustment visualization is a very nice touch.

I've already pitched my dollars at Parkitect a while back, but I've been waiting on it being closer to finished before diving in. Glad to see it coming along nicely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Guess who made "The most overengineered amusement park in the country?" Silvarret! The same guy who has several Planet Coaster videos linked in this thread. Now watch him work his magic and build it and feel inadequate, assuming you're like me anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVVqvX5F8bo