Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't seen much discussion of the new Trade Leagues for Merchant Republics. Any fun to play as someone like Lubeck now? My previous adventures with HRE minors have been very dull.

I'm not sure about playing as a Merchant Republic, but from my experience with this patch so far it seems like the new Trade Leagues allow nations like Venice and Lubeck a much stronger early game. Trade Leagues are also defensive alliances, and Lubeck or Venice allied to a handful of wealthy Northern German or Italian OPMs is nothing to sneeze at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

MrBling posted:

I think you guys are overstating the impact of corruption just a tiny bit.

I've done all this:

reformed out from tribal and westernised and never once went above 1 corruption (and I actually only went to 1 corruption due to events). All the while having to convert sunni lands.

Also, seems like you don't really run out of states.

hahaha that coat of arms owns

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I've just played a merchant Republic trade league with genoa and I never really figured out how to get a trade war going

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I feel like the AI is going a little crazy with fortresses

Fun fact: it is only paying for 5 of those.

I wonder, does the AI still get AT from the forts it doesn't pay for? Because that would be really dumb.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh, gee, thanks.

What map mod is that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. I like it, but it makes some mapmodes really hard to see.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

this sunset invasion run is a god drat nailbiter. i've been trying to figure out how to crack open the french alliance of 120k men + 200k allies for the last 150 years, and i've only got 70 left... less, counting coring time.

did some ridiculously game-y play involving declaring war on portugal & great scotland's OPM allies, annuling their treaties with france, and then declaring war on them the month the truce elapsed to grab lisboa & london... but ofc, as soon as those wars ended, they went right back into bed w/france. could try it again w/gsc, but i'm truced with portugal and don't have that much time left...

edit:

in reality, france alone had 260k men, plus 160k from allies. full defensive, offensive, and quality ideas (no quantity). how do you even deal with that

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 19, 2016

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Are there any good write-ups for (re) learning EU4 that folks would recommend? Looking for something updated with Common Sense and Art of War changes, at least.

Failing an honest-to-goodness write up, any vods or stream archives that would be educational to watch?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quill 18 just did a video tutorial series on youtube but with no dlc.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Drone posted:

AI Lübeck conquered pretty much all of northern Germany in my Ireland game.

As far as an HRE minor goes though, I got my rear end stomped several times in a few aborted attempts at making Hesse work.

I've found it's pretty easy to kick some rear end with Lubeck, until you get coalition'd :v: I've been carrying on after I lost more than half my cores and had to pay off $500 in war debt.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So apparently the AI got persuaded that at MIL4, its armies were 100 times better than someone at MIL3. And it has been ignoring the strength of subjects in it's declarations of war.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-declares-suicide-wars.920232/

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

DDRJake's got his latest stream up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-2vWcBRZc

Muscovy rolls a 7 on it's 6d and destroys everyone around them. A bug is also found where you can threaten war while you're a vassal, doing so starts a war of conquest against your overlord with no stab hits and dissolves your status as vassal whether you win or lose.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Took 3 or 4 wars, but I have acquired all of Portugal's land that they were nice enough to colonize for me in South American. Probably 60+ provinces, thanks dudes. I hope you settle some more colonies in North American, as there is a fair amount of land still available. My next target will probably be Great Britain and Holland alliance. This will give me the last 3rd party provinces is South America and the Caribbean Islands, all of Florida/Georgia and most of the Carolina area. I will leave them British Texas, and take the Great Britain isles in exchange. I hope that doesn't take more than 2 wars and/or 35 years.

If that works out, its a race against the clock for France, British Texas, and myself to finish colonizing North America. And then me taking it all from them and the land that Spain holds. Should be pretty loving close, but I think I might be able to do it. I have no idea how the guy in the stream was running 6 colonist though. I am not making nearly enough money to do that.

For ideas I am taking Merchant next, and moving my capital to the east coast of North America to eat all of that money. Other than that, not sure I will be able to grab Scandinavia too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PittTheElder posted:

So apparently the AI got persuaded that at MIL4, its armies were 100 times better than someone at MIL3. And it has been ignoring the strength of subjects in it's declarations of war.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-declares-suicide-wars.920232/

That explains so much! Unfortunately I think it means I need to wait until that's fixed to continue my game.

Also:

Colonial Air Force posted:

How do sailor numbers work? I've got Danzig and all but one province of Pomerania, so my Brandenburg now has a coast, but despite the maximum number of sailors being 678 (or so), I only have about 100, and that number is not climbing. I don't have a single ship. :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just spent several years paying off debts and preparing to conquer the last remnants of a coalition I'd beaten in the previous war (hence the debt) while I waited for the truce to expire, only for my king to die two days before the end of the truce, leaving me in a 10 year regency.

:suicide:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

One thing about this game: you can gently caress yourself over really amazingly. My Lubeck was under invasion by two sides both substantially stronger than mine, but i took out 50 or so loans and raised tons and tons of mercs who all died on Holy Roman pikes. You can't really recover from 50 years' worth of income in debt, especially when you're down to a three-province minor.

edit: you can recover from bankruptcy though. But now it's 1560 and I've got a terrible terrible king who took over my collapsed merchant republic. Estates were not worth this guy, and I don't even know what happens if he ever loving dies

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 19, 2016

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The AI bug makes my anger and rage over trying to Aztec somewhat more explainable. I was thinking "this seemed somewhat easier back in El Dorado" as I was dog piled for the 40th time.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Does this bug also affect the AI's decisions how to make war? Been running a Brandenburg game, and every time my good friend Austria has been in a tussle with France the war always peters into me burying my face in my hands when my allies decide to attack into mountains and siege in farmlands.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Redchaostry posted:

Doing a First Come, First Serve, Ideas Guy and For Odin! run currently. Borrowed a build from a youtuber by the name of TheChrisD.

Starting Province: Meta, 1/1/1 development
National Traditions: Global Settler Increase 3, Yearly Inflation Reduction 1
National Ideas: National Tax 1, Unrest Reduction 1, Discipline 1, Core-Creation Reduction 1, Missionary Strength 2, Global Trade Power 1, Trade Efficiency 1
National Ambition: Infantry Combat Ability 2 (+10%)
Culture: Portuguese or Castile
Religion: Norse
Technology: Western
Map Graphics: What ever you want
Government: Ambrosian Republic, Rank Grand Republic
Starting Ruler: 2/3/1

Only requirement from the list is Western Tech and be 200 points or less of course.

PleasingFungus posted a few pages about advice from his run, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=190796&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post454364458.

Started in Meta so that I was next to my first expansion victim, but not bordering two right at the start. I had to declare against Spain earlier than I would have liked too, as they colonized Panama and the province next to it going into Mexico. Otherwise, as per PleasingFungus' advice I have let Spain and Portugal do most of the heavy lift to colonize South America. I probably have 2 more wars with Portugal to take all their land in South America, and then 3-5 wars with Spain. North American is going to much more interesting as there are a lot less people colonizing there and still a massive amount of empty land at 1670.

I'll probably miss the achievements this game, but I will be better prepared for the next attempt. Good luck in your attempt.

This is excellent, thank you! :tipshat:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This Byzantium run is keeping me on the edge of my seat. Destroying the Ottomans left a power vacuum that Mega Mamluks have filled. Muscovy has made their way to Anatolia by annexing Trebizond. It's scary, and I am poor af. I can afford half my force limit. Ahhh.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Early byz runs are a lot of fun. You're gonna steamroll everyone once the mamluks are defeated.

Doing the custom nation achievements right now. It's really tedious, I might not finish lol

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Tsyni posted:

This Byzantium run is keeping me on the edge of my seat. Destroying the Ottomans left a power vacuum that Mega Mamluks have filled. Muscovy has made their way to Anatolia by annexing Trebizond. It's scary, and I am poor af. I can afford half my force limit. Ahhh.

What's your strategy for winning the first war with the Ottomans? No matter what I do, I get crushed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

aqu posted:

What's your strategy for winning the first war with the Ottomans? No matter what I do, I get crushed.

I restarted three times I think. A few things need to happen for my strategy, which worked out surprisingly easily. First, Ottomans can't declare war on your first, obviously. It seems like a toss-up whether they go after you or Albania first, maybe with a chance for Dulkadir. The other is that Hungary and Poland can't be rivals, so that you can ally both of them. It also helps if Poland puts Lithuania into a PU, and if Hungary and Poland both rival the Ottomans, since you're able to rival them as well right at the start. I was able to declare war in like 1447 or something by promising Poland and Hungary territory. Another thing that I found very useful was that the Ottomans will leave you alone at first when you get your big allies, but they will warn you, so I had claims fabricated in Kandar with my guys ready go to in boats and as soon as Ottoman's declare on Kandar I declared my own war on Kandar and beat them to the punch. This just wastes more of their time so they can't consolidate all their Anatolian lands. By this point some other guys like the Mamluks/QQ should have done their own consolidating and suddenly the Ottomans look very beatable.

The main issue I am running into right now is that Karaman allied the Mamluks and managed to eat a lot of eastern Anatolia, so I am kind of biding my time on that while I expand into Italy and the Balkans.

In the first war with the Ottomans you'll want to get military access from Maldovia and put your troops up there so that they aren't just wiped right away. Obviously do this before you declare war. The first war was a bit touch and go, but after that everything unravelled for the Ottomans. You don't need to cross the strait, just siege everything you can in Greece/Balkans and keep some stacks at the strait crossings so that you crush anyone trying to cross over.

As you can see at this point I've ditched Hungary and Poland (Poland no longer has a PU on Lithuania at this point). Allying France was a no brainer, and Muscovy was previously my ally but they broke the alliance when I took some stuff in Anatolia that they wanted.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Hey all, I've been out of the EUIV loop for a bit but what to get back in due to most of the historical things I've been reading lately. I have zero DLC. I started up the game recently and it looks like there have been a lot of changes patched in. Is this standard Paradox where I need all the DLC, or did they patch some of the new cool features?

Some of them are kind of expensive, but if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. The OP makes it seem like Art of War and Common Sense are definitely what I need at the very least.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Chump Farts posted:

Hey all, I've been out of the EUIV loop for a bit but what to get back in due to most of the historical things I've been reading lately. I have zero DLC. I started up the game recently and it looks like there have been a lot of changes patched in. Is this standard Paradox where I need all the DLC, or did they patch some of the new cool features?

Some of them are kind of expensive, but if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. The OP makes it seem like Art of War and Common Sense are definitely what I need at the very least.

I would probably get AoW and pick up the others selectively if any of the features look particularly cool. They will be on sale again sometime too.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What's up with France blobbing into Iberia all the time lately?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Strait of Gibraltar if I had to guess. Suddenly Morocco is a very real threat to Andalusia and beyond

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Fffuck if this was literally any other nation I would've picked this option in a heartbeat

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Cuauhtlahtoani Ji Jzio Bzojj Chsaaxcejj was elected to office in Zapotec

(wasn't a popup or I'd have screenshotted, holey moley)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Alikchi posted:

Idk but I'm don't like it. I don't mind the off France wrecks Iberia game but when Castile can't even get off the loving ground is just lame and boring.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think most of the problem comes from wars between Castille and Aragon weakening them both. They also tend to be somewhat diplomatically isolated.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I think most of the problem comes from wars between Castille and Aragon weakening them both. They also tend to be somewhat diplomatically isolated.

I think it's both. My last few games Castille and Aragon fight, and Castille goes hard into North Africa, then France efs them up. I also had a game recently where Castille rejected the Iberian wedding. Hadn't seen that one before.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alikchi posted:

France got a big development buff, Castile remains weak. If Castile allies Burgundy, odds are the two of them will destroy France. If they don't, France will eat Castile and nobody will do anything about it, because its France, and who wants to lie down in front of that bulldozer?

Wars are remain too total, and there's no coherent balance of power management in diplomacy. What little there is - a function that makes lots of minors ally against a blob - is going to get toned down in the next patch because people don't want it hard for them to be able to blob. :iiam:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
France has a mission to conquer Milan, but also loves them. They love Milan and won't help me declare war on them. They want to conquer Milan with cuddles.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

As Byz, I just got a PU over France in 1609 after the 22-year-old king died without an heir (Portugal declined the succession war). Their liberty desire was only 61%, too... I reloaded so that the rest of the campaign will still have some challenge :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Alikchi posted:

Say what now?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Say what now?

Did you managed to infiltrate my campaign? France is reduced to three Colombian provinces now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tsyni posted:

As you can see at this point I've ditched Hungary and Poland (Poland no longer has a PU on Lithuania at this point). Allying France was a no brainer, and Muscovy was previously my ally but they broke the alliance when I took some stuff in Anatolia that they wanted.

I heavily recommend keeping a RM with Hungary and Poland for the possibility of getting a Habsburg or uh whatever the Lithuanian king's line is called, since either of those will open you up to a ton of powerful PU options.

Also if you're really lucky you can get a Habsburg in like 1445 and then have Hungary drop into a PU under you by event :haw:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ragusa seems like a tough one. I tried an opening war with Albania and actually managed to take Albania, Montenegro, and a bunch of Bosnia. But i couldn't keep it, I was harsh treatment'ing again and again and eventually the Bosnian revolt was way too strong even after i went over my forcelimit. Ugh, I have to remember that provinces with 100% autonomy are 100% useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not 100%! Autonomy only cuts trade power by half, and you can always give the province to an estate to reduce the effects. I almost always give my newly acquired provinces to estates.

• Locked thread