Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Minimum in AZ is 15k I believe, it's a complete joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, American insurance coverage is insane.

Best part of thirty million dollars for most people in the UK.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, American insurance coverage is insane.

Best part of thirty million dollars for most people in the UK.

I think mine is unlimited - literally no upper limit.

Agree with you: it's bizarre there - especially given that you can get sued for $20M for damaging someone's trousers: let along piling into a busload of stockbrokers and killing them all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

I think mine is unlimited - literally no upper limit.

Agree with you: it's bizarre there - especially given that you can get sued for $20M for damaging someone's trousers: let along piling into a busload of stockbrokers and killing them all.

It is less bizarre when you realize insurance companies give huge amounts of money to campaigns.
Its also why we have obamacare instead of singlepayer.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Whenever it rains, where you folks live..
..does that make people step the gently caress on the gas like their cars were made out of a natrium-thermite compound?

People start jumping the SLOWTHEFUCKDOWNYOUCUNTS speed-bump and scrape the poo poo outta their undercarriages, fronts and rears when it rains here. I know being allergic to rain is an actual thing and these fuckers aren't. Even though a lot of them stay inside or under the roof outside the grocery store with their four bags of frozen groceries if it rains a tiny bit rather than getting slightly wet walking ten steps to the car they waited ten minutes to get the closest parking space to the entrance for and they are not in Armanis or anything, it's the increasingly cold and wet Sweden where you are born wet you live wet and then you die wet.

Part of getting a driver's license here is mastering driving in slippery wet weather and sliding around and knowing what rain does, and feels like half the country are on bought licenses whenever I head out in the rain. Not to mention what it does to visibility and how they are in blatant loving disregard for all about that, one day I'm going to open up a drivers door and help them engage the loving window washers for the first time in their fancy German car's life.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

When it rains, everyone here drives like their car can't go over 10 miles an hour and they're going to spin out if they take a turn at any speed. I usually figure on an extra 20-30 minutes being added to my 15 minute commute if it is even slightly damp outside.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Parts of Houston have gotten 12 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, I can't wait to see some of the idiocy.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

you ate my cat posted:

When it rains, everyone here drives like their car can't go over 10 miles an hour and they're going to spin out if they take a turn at any speed. I usually figure on an extra 20-30 minutes being added to my 15 minute commute if it is even slightly damp outside.

Yeah, I don't know where MrLonghair lives that anything makes the average driver go faster

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Spotted on reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/Cin6S2P.gifv

:stare:

So much happens in like 3 seconds.

these are the people cops should be executing without trials.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Arguably :nws: but only if your laughter attracts a strict prude over to your desk

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlsIwhZHLo

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I'm actually fine with that since I've seen the opposite too many times.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

GutBomb posted:

Eh, just means some displaced brodozer is going to be blocking an aisle somewhere else.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, I don't know where MrLonghair lives that anything makes the average driver go faster

An hour or two to the west of the capital of Sweden and you should see how they drive when the first snow has come.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

It is less bizarre when you realize insurance companies give huge amounts of money to campaigns.

Wouldn't the insurance industry be in favour of higher minimums, which would justify the charging of higher premiums?

I mean, with under $100k liability, why even really bother with the insurance requirement in the first place?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
The past few times I've gone to the store I've noticed something new. Cars straddling two spaces. But not they're not straddling the spaces to the left and right, instead it's front to back. They're actually parked fine between the spaces to the left and right, but the line is dead center the other way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I remember when I finally got a good insurance agent who called me up and pointed out that I was running minimum coverage when I owned a house and had a professional salary. He was like "you have the salary and assets that make you a target for lawsuits, and quadrupling your coverage is only like $12 a month".

So yeah now I run really good coverage. It doesn't cost much more than bad coverage if you have a good record.

In other weirdness, my dad just learned the hard way of a new craigslist scam. People are calling any private seller of a car, saying they want it, and asking them to get a carfax, only "their bank" requires it to be from some no-name carfax knockoff. Of course as soon as you do it you never hear from the buyer again. The "buyer" is actually the knockoff company and they just suckered you into giving them money. And your card info. poo poo, it's probably not even a real report, just one that comes back perfect on all categories. My dad fell for it twice before catching on. Ironic that he was a car dealer and did carfaxes all the time, so he didn't give it a second thought. This is his first experience selling as a private citizen in over 20 years.

I need to call my dad and have him do a chargeback on them and then cancel his card.

Edit: whoops, thought I was posting this in the chat thread.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 19, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

PT6A posted:

Wouldn't the insurance industry be in favour of higher minimums, which would justify the charging of higher premiums?

I mean, with under $100k liability, why even really bother with the insurance requirement in the first place?

Lower minimums means they dont have to pay out as much when there is an accident. Heres your 35k have a lovely month.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

No, because there is a price that people will pay for minimum insurance. If it goes above that, they'll drive uninsured.
So, if you set low minimums, you may more profit for that amount, which is maybe $50/mo or something.
If you raise limits, either the cost will go up (reducing the market) or profits will go down. Plus if they had million dollar limits, they couldn't charge me extra for under-insured coverage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

In other weirdness, my dad just learned the hard way of a new craigslist scam.

I saw that going the other way when I was looking for a house to rent. I'd see listing for nice houses a bit cheaper than expected, but with no specific address listed (just a vague neighborhood). The once or twice I inquired, I asked for an address so I could check out the place and they would respond that I had to go to a shady website and pay for a background check. After I said I need to see the place first, they'd stop responding.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have never seen so many people change their minds at stop lights before moving to the Hampton Roads area. They sit at a red for at least a minute, then switch lanes, maybe do a right on red, then go off in a completely different direction than before.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Murphys Law posted:

The past few times I've gone to the store I've noticed something new. Cars straddling two spaces. But not they're not straddling the spaces to the left and right, instead it's front to back. They're actually parked fine between the spaces to the left and right, but the line is dead center the other way.

At work, I see that, usually with giant-rear end pickups. (Not necessarily brodozers, but actual working trucks.) One day it was a 4-banger - about halfway across the fore-and-after divider line, and centered on the left-right one. :pwn:

Today's special was a beater duallie-mounted pickup, who was in a hurry to pick up meds from the pharmacy. Why not:

park opposing traffic flow
back sloppily into the space
leave about 1/3rd of the front right end hanging out into traffic
and run that left rear waaay up over the curb and halfway to the sidewalk.

Kinda makes the regular-size pickup going 15 in a 30 all the way up the through street and across the bridge seem like nothing. (15 mph actual, according to my speedo.) Or the minivan with the left signal running in the second-from-left lane, making a sudden swerve towards the right before suddenly swerving back into the left lane. Weeeee. (Didn't get anywhere near *that* one, for sure.)

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Is it just me, or is that a really small tire for a truck that size?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

TNO posted:

GM's brilliant design strategy of round tires in square wheel wells isn't really helping anything.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

TNO posted:

Nope, you're just really used to brodozers.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

TNO posted:

Just the heavy duty suspension when unloaded + normal tires + lovely wheel arch design.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Height restrictions: how do they work?

https://twitter.com/kaitlin_lee/status/722406461561655296

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrtnIImGipg

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-six-bulldozers-battle-each-other-on-the-streets-i-1771725186

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Twice in the last couple of days I had people run in front of my car to cross a 4-lane, 100km/h divided highway. Why don't they just jump off a bridge if they want to die that badly??

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrOnBicycle posted:

They should just have loving poles sticking up from the ground at red lights, like the ones they have in bus lanes. You run it? Sucks to be you.
Would take care of the idiots who can't figure out how to stop before the line and the idiots who sloooowly creep forward until they are like 20' into the intersection, too.

GutBomb posted:

HEY MAN gently caress THE FUCKIN PRIUSES N COMPACTS N poo poo THOSE FUCKIN FAG CARS
HAHA I PARK IN COMPACT CAR SPOTS ALL THE TIME IT ISNT LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE gently caress EM gently caress THAT IF THEY DONT LIKE IT ILL SMOKE EM WIT MY STACKS
:banjo:

- the obstinate pigheaded banjofuckers on most of the offroad groups I'm on

Also, I saw a beautiful thing today at Dunkin Donuts... an F550 work truck with a gigantic stakebed on it (seriously, truck had to be 24-30ft long) backed up perfectly into a regular sized space. The next person to pull in was driving a silver Honda Ridgeline minivan-wannabe-truck and bumbledicked it all over the place, then gave up, still hanging a foot over the line on the drivers side into the next space over. Right next to it. I wish I'd remembered to take a picture.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

HAHA I PARK IN COMPACT CAR SPOTS ALL THE TIME IT ISNT LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE gently caress EM gently caress THAT IF THEY DONT LIKE IT ILL SMOKE EM WIT MY STACKS

This, but in spaces for low emission and alternative fuel vehicles.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I park in Expectant Mothers parking all the time, but I generally shop at 3am when it's just me and the overnight stockers at the store anyhow

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm honestly unsure if you're trolling or just being PCOS Bill, but I'll bite. If the parking lot is so empty why the hell aren't you just parking in a regular spot and not being a dick?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's an expectant mothers spot at my local supermarket. Someone ran over the sign a while ago so it just lays there in no mans land between two spaces. It's just a regular space now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

I park in Expectant Mothers parking all the time, but I generally shop at 3am when it's just me and the overnight stockers at the store anyhow

Your beer belly doesn't count.

For a start, you are supposed to have sex within the last 9 months.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The store I shop at has three rows directly in front of the entrance that start with four handicapped spots, then four expectant mothers spots, then about 40 regular spots to the end of the lot. Who am I hurting taking 1/12 expectant mother spots at 3AM?

spog posted:

Your beer belly doesn't count.

For a start, you are supposed to have sex within the last 9 months.

It's been within the last five hours, but thanks for your concern.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

Is your rear end still sore?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

The store I shop at has three rows directly in front of the entrance that start with four handicapped spots, then four expectant mothers spots, then about 40 regular spots to the end of the lot. Who am I hurting taking 1/12 expectant mother spots at 3AM?

So... because you're lazy?

and it has hundreds of normal parking spaces for normal people like you, and you should use one of them.

Seriously, this isn't hard to figure out or hard to do and you are again showing that you are the person we share the road with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So you agree I'm not hurting anyone or in anyone's way. Got it.