Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Pulitzer in an hour

come on Aquarium

gonna be Little Life though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

They're like Parthians, only swarthier.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pulitzer in an hour

come on Aquarium

gonna be Little Life though

You've talked about Vann before. My school library has Aquarium and Legend of a Suicide. Which should I read? Or both.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

You've talked about Vann before. My school library has Aquarium and Legend of a Suicide. Which should I read? Or both.

both imho

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'll start Aquarium if it wins otherwise I'll go chronologically

I don't know why I got Anthem. I like sci fi but usually just when it's short and fast paced

blue squares fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 18, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh dip

Been awhile since we got something totally out of left field like this

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Eh, on second thought, I don't think Vann is for me. At least not right now.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I'll start Aquarium if it wins otherwise I'll go chronologically

I don't know why I got Anthem. I like sci fi but usually just when it's short and fast paced

Anathem is by far the least annoying of Stephenson's books for what it's worth

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've been only reading non-fiction for the last month because every attempt to begin a fiction book has petered out. But I began Annie Proulx's The Shipping News and it grabbed me immediately. The main character is likeable and interesting and the prose style is great

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh dip

Been awhile since we got something totally out of left field like this

who

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The book was on my radar but it just didn't strike my interest.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
People gotta stop trashing Stephenson because I loving loved Cryptonomicon. I might even type some mean words if you guys keep it up

Anyway I just picked up Galopagos by Vonnegut on a real good sale. What are some opinions on it? I'm a fan having read Slaughterhouse Five, Sirens of Titan, Mother Night and Cat's Cradle but this one seems a bit more polarizing from what I've seen

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

blue squares posted:

I've been only reading non-fiction for the last month because every attempt to begin a fiction book has petered out. But I began Annie Proulx's The Shipping News and it grabbed me immediately. The main character is likeable and interesting and the prose style is great

I loved that book!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What are the best best of the year lists for fiction? What about prizes? I want to read more contemporary fiction but there's so loving much of it and 80% of it seems like women's coming-of-age stuff.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

DoctorG0nzo posted:

People gotta stop trashing Stephenson because I loving loved Cryptonomicon. I might even type some mean words if you guys keep it up

Anyway I just picked up Galopagos by Vonnegut on a real good sale. What are some opinions on it? I'm a fan having read Slaughterhouse Five, Sirens of Titan, Mother Night and Cat's Cradle but this one seems a bit more polarizing from what I've seen

Randy’s toe knuckles pop audibly. He lifts himself and Amy into the air, experiences some kind of synaesthetic hallucination very much like the famous “jump into hyperspace” scene from Star Wars. Or perhaps the air bag has accidentally detonated? Then he pumps something like an Imperial pint of semen – it’s a seemingly open ended stream of ejaculations, each coupled to the next by nothing more than a leap of faith that another one is coming – and in the end, like all schemes built on faith and hope, it lapses, and then Randy sits utterly still until his body realises it has not drawn breath in quite a while.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

beergod posted:

What are the best best of the year lists for fiction? What about prizes? I want to read more contemporary fiction but there's so loving much of it and 80% of it seems like women's coming-of-age stuff.

Forums use beergod, please tell me more about the horrors of women writers

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

beergod posted:

Actually though, New York Times best 10 books of the year is always good. The national book awards never miss either.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Thanks. For the record, I did women's coming-of-age writing, but I like other stuff, too.

Anyone else?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

I'll save you some time, here's most famous short story by Stephenson:
"Tick tock tick tock tick tick."

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I actually like his books a lot but they still aren't good

mallamp fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 19, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Real surprise would've been ifLittle Life HAD won. It felt a lot like edgy YA novel with rape and suffering dials turned to the max. to make it adult. Song of Ice and Fire isn't exactly Pulitzer contender either

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's ridiculous. Any of the four main characters from A Little Life had more depth than the entirety of the average YA novel

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

mallamp posted:

Real surprise would've been ifLittle Life HAD won. It felt a lot like edgy YA novel with rape and suffering dials turned to the max. to make it adult. Song of Ice and Fire isn't exactly Pulitzer contender either

do you have any opinions which aren't terrible

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Not really

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
all of my book opinions are good and correct. you should be more like me

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sometimes I see the light but then next day I wake up as rear end in a top hat again

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

Sometimes I see the light but then next day I wake up as rear end in a top hat again

there are a few good euphemistic jokes in this post

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

beergod posted:

I personally think the best yearly award is the National Book Award followed by the Pulitzer. The NBA seems to hit "it" a lot more than the Pulitzter.

As for year end lists, I like the New York Times Notable 100 and Publishers Weekly Best of. NPR's Reading Concierge is nice too, if not a little aimless.

Or you could just make me, Mel is your mother loving hook up.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Randy’s toe knuckles pop audibly. He lifts himself and Amy into the air, experiences some kind of synaesthetic hallucination very much like the famous “jump into hyperspace” scene from Star Wars. Or perhaps the air bag has accidentally detonated? Then he pumps something like an Imperial pint of semen – it’s a seemingly open ended stream of ejaculations, each coupled to the next by nothing more than a leap of faith that another one is coming – and in the end, like all schemes built on faith and hope, it lapses, and then Randy sits utterly still until his body realises it has not drawn breath in quite a while.

OMG this is from an actual book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's cool that the intellectually lazy stance of just assuming everything that could possibly be called sci fi is bad is actually 100% correct.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

CestMoi posted:

OMG this is from an actual book.

Oh man, a pop culture reference and sex? In a book? The horror! *tuts, turns to shelf of Victorian novels*

(I actually like Victorian novels a lot though)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

It's cool that the intellectually lazy stance of just assuming everything that could possibly be called sci fi is bad is actually 100% correct.

Its not that lazy when you remember sci-fi is a marketing concept and not a real genre.

Sci-Fi as a label basically means trough feed for the pigs

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Oh man, a pop culture reference and sex? In a book? The horror! *tuts, turns to shelf of Victorian novels*

How could you possibly at any level think that was good

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
what are real genres

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
When I read a good book, it's like: beam me up, Scotty. I'm in another universe, that of the famous Star Trek television and film series

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How could you possibly at any level think that was good

Certainly not good but not offensively bad either. People are reacting like it's at the level of some poo poo from like, Ready Player One or something. I'd say it (the passage, and the book as a whole) actually had similar weaknesses to that but was executed at least competently instead of being a dribbling mess

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Certainly not good but not offensively bad either.

"Its like that famous scene in Star Wars" - not offensively bad writing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

what are real genres

Tragedy, Comedy, History

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The idea that more cum = better than, more passionate than
is funny

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

The idea that more cum = better than, more passionate than
is funny

Peter North is the most passionate man on earth

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Its like that famous scene in Star Wars" - not offensively bad writing

I don't think pop culture references are automatically terrible. Was it a bit clunky? Yeah. But, whatever. Is that the only part of the passage you had issue with? I think that's the only part that's really toeing the line of "bad", I'd call the rest mediocre and relatively entertaining.

Please don't tell me your other reason is "eww, it's about sex!"

Also I didn't really think it was "more cum = more passion" I took it as "this weird nerd hasn't gotten laid in a while so he's cummin' buckets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

im reading Andrzej Stasiuk's travel book of all the greatest shitholes of Southeastern Europe