Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It turns out that O2 sensor wires are magical:

quote:

Older style oxygen sensors have a small hole in the body so air can enter the sensor, but newer style sensors breathe through their wire connectors and have no vent hole. Grease should never be applied to the wires where they enter the sensor, because it would prevent proper air circulation. So will dirt and other contaminates. Because of the difference in oxygen and temperature levels between the inside and outside of the bulb, a small voltage is created and can be measured by the PCM.
Don't solder O2 sensor wires.

quote:

Wires you can solder- the heaters.

Wires you should not solder- the main signal and the reference line. Why? As odd as it sounds, that's where the sensor gets air into the thimble so that it can act as a battery. Why not a hole near the sensor? It's not generally a great location- easy to plug up, make a mess of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does that mean *anywhere* from the sensor to the ECU, or just from the sensor to the connector? Seems like if the wiring fault is on the harness-side of the connector a lot of those fears shouldn't really apply anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does that mean *anywhere* from the sensor to the ECU, or just from the sensor to the connector? Seems like if the wiring fault is on the harness-side of the connector a lot of those fears shouldn't really apply anymore.

The latter. As long as it's in the harness it's just regular copper auto-harness grade wire. It might even be shielded wire if the OEM cares enough to bother. Most don't.

The oxygen thing and special-metal conductors only go as far as the O2 sensor plug that mates with the harness.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man that O2 sensor wire thing sounds like an complete nightmare

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

scuz posted:

I'm thinking you're right. Sent an update to the Old Man and he replied with:

Time to start digging. The O2 sensor wiring is in the same region so maybe I can feed two birds with one scone. Then it's on to troubleshooting the HVAC, which is acting up somethin' weird. Luckily (unluckily?) there are diagnostic codes that I can pull from the Climatronic system to let me know just how buggered I am :jiggled:
If you really want to torture a VW mechanic, VW had some recalls for ecus, tcus, and ccus corroding in the floors (due to leaking sunroofs, firewalls and more). Before you go too far down the rabbit hole, I might make sure you have no outsanding recalls. I can't recall what years were covered.
I'd be curious what they do for a recall when the part is NLA.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

If you really want to torture a VW mechanic, VW had some recalls for ecus, tcus, and ccus corroding in the floors (due to leaking sunroofs, firewalls and more). Before you go too far down the rabbit hole, I might make sure you have no outsanding recalls. I can't recall what years were covered.
I'd be curious what they do for a recall when the part is NLA.

you forgot "coolant level sensors that pump the wiring harness full of coolant" on that list of corrosion causes :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
UPDATE

The new job is fan-freakin'-tastic and has the side effect of being fun and rewarding, so I spend fewer hours on these here forums. Don't worry, you guys haven't missed much:
Golf:
  • Alternator on the Gofl died ever so slowly over the last week. Got that replaced and the CEL AND battery lights went away :buddy: I anticipate the CEL's return before Thursday
  • I'm biting the bullet since I got a wee bonus from leaving my last job (had a week of PTO get paid to me) so I'm buying the remaining few tools I need to rebuild the 2.0L.
  • I've been brainstorming ways to get more torque out the engine like shortening the length of the intake(edit: this is dumb and wrong), putting in a new cam, installing a not-too-big turbo. I really don't care about top speed, I just wanna accelerate quickly.
  • I've got one of these bad boys on the way so that I can finally have cruise control. Man, I miss cruise control.
W8:
  • W8 is still a nice thing to drive, but I don't think I tightened the bolts for the new axle enough cuz there are a few weird-o clunky noises
  • The ever-dreaded-by-strangers-on-the-internet LOW OIL PRESSURE warning came on the other day during a "let's see if the W8 still works" cruise. Told me to "stop motor now" and stuff, but I got it home just fine. Oil level is fine so that means either the oil pump or just a lovely wire, which is a reason to get down and dirty with inspecting as much of the wire loom as I can without major surgery/motor removal
Other:
  • I got new rolling tool box/chest!

• Hunnert bucks offa craigslist. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but it's 100% exactly what I wanted and I love it.

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it just seems like they are saying don't solder where the wires enter the sensor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

scuz posted:

[*]W8 is still a nice thing to drive, but I don't think I tightened the bolts for the new axle enough cuz there are a few weird-o clunky noises
[*]The ever-dreaded-by-strangers-on-the-internet LOW OIL PRESSURE warning came on the other day during a "let's see if the W8 still works" cruise. Told me to "stop motor now" and stuff, but I got it home just fine. Oil level is fine so that means either the oil pump or just a lovely wire, which is a reason to get down and dirty with inspecting as much of the wire loom as I can without major surgery/motor removal
[/list]

It's because you didn't tighten them evenly I'll bet. You better hope it isn't the oil pump.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am absolutely hoping that. All the junkyards that I've called around the metro aren't parting out accessories from any W8 engines. If I want an alternator or an oil pump, I gotta buy the whole engine :smith:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

scuz posted:

• The ever-dreaded-by-strangers-on-the-internet LOW OIL PRESSURE warning came on the other day during a "let's see if the W8 still works" cruise. Told me to "stop motor now" and stuff, but I got it home just fine. Oil level is fine so that means either the oil pump or just a lovely wire, which is a reason to get down and dirty with inspecting as much of the wire loom as I can without major surgery/motor removal

I'm convinced VW builds in a routine to throw that code just to scare owners into checking their oil and doing maintenance. My '11 GTI has thrown a similar warning once or twice over the past 55,000 miles or so for no apparent reason. drat sure made me check my oil though.

Granted, yours is a W8 so I wouldn't give it the benefit of the doubt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

scuz posted:

I am absolutely hoping that. All the junkyards that I've called around the metro aren't parting out accessories from any W8 engines. If I want an alternator or an oil pump, I gotta buy the whole engine :smith:

You should probably do this anyway in case you need a spare o2 sensor or something down the line :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A shop was looking for parts on an 02 passat and I thought of this thread. This lead to me checking prices on a thermostat assembly and it turns out its almost $600 from the factory. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if they actually have it in stock, because god drat thats insane. :haw:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
It finally hit 70 degrees F this week so I got to work taking the front end of the Passat apart to track down where all the wiring is. Wiring nonsense is a new thing on me, so I'm grateful for any advice, but for now, I've been dismantling as much of the car as I can to see where the wires go.

Elmnt80 posted:

A shop was looking for parts on an 02 passat and I thought of this thread. This lead to me checking prices on a thermostat assembly and it turns out its almost $600 from the factory. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if they actually have it in stock, because god drat thats insane. :haw:

It's gaht-damned bonkers. If they need one, I have an OEM bench-tested-good, sold-as-is thermostat for not even half that price! :)

In other news, I have not reported on another vehicle whose care is now my problem:

this... is EGGVAN

This is my band's van, purchased by Luke who is my good buddy and lead guitar player and who is standing on its roof. That's Lewis who's jumping in front of the camera and over the kick drum. It's called EGGVAN because its color is closer to that of an eggshell than white, and because we eat a lot of eggs while we're on tour. EGGVAN is a 1995 Ford E350 XLT ClubWagon with a 7.5L/460ci V8 engine and a few niggles. It was also $2k and has fewer than 130k miles on it. In its past life, it served as a detox van for northern Iowa.

Got it home, squeeze it into the garage (scraped the van roof on the way in), and got to it:

That bar with the foam thingy on it has been since removed. It had been there to hold a big metal cage on it, you can see the clasp in the bottom left hand corner of the photo. The carpets are matted and smelled like a basement when we got it, but we vacuumed and it's not smelly anymore.

Said clasp and lovely carpet.

Evidence of residents in the doghouse. Speaking of:

:perfect:

No, really, it is. The motor flush returned no chunks, filings, or debris, the spark plugs look great, it burns no oil. It squealed like a stuck pig when we first got it, but I replaced the belt for the alternator and picked a rock out of the power steering/AC belt and the squeal has gone for good. We're gonna jam a stereo into the thing before we leave for Green Bay in a few hours and it's gonna look like we stole it cuz at this point, we don't care. Luke has said "if it breaks down, I'm gonna sign the title, tape it to the windshield, and leave it."

edit: If anyone felt like talking someone into/out of doing a transmission rebuild on an AODE, now would be the time! :haw:

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

scuz posted:

edit: If anyone felt like talking someone into/out of doing a transmission rebuild on an AODE, now would be the time! :haw:

Buddy of mine has a '91 E350, the A4OD just went out in it so he's swapping in a 5-speed. So that's an option.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Buddy of mine has a '91 E350, the A4OD just went out in it so he's swapping in a 5-speed. So that's an option.
It WOULD be if everyone in the band could drive stick, but half of them can't. That means I'd be stuck with half of allllllll the driving duties, and since we've got some 2k+ mile trips in the works, that would not be fun. I'd also have to cut some bits out of the pedal area to fit a clutch.

Anyhoo, it's me. I'm the PO:

I didn't wanna "splurge" for the $15 wiring harness so I twisted and taped all the leads together in back. 100% functional, no darns given, even after our road trip to/from Green Bay. If any of you find yourself there, find the Gasoline Bar. Buncha car stuff in there from old tin signs to a sweet home-built bike with what looks like a small motorcycle engine mounted on it. I've been told it runs and drives.

Pictures are lovely because my camera is lovely and I'm a lovely photographer and I was lovely drunk at the time.

IN W8 NEWS:

Met with pops this weekend and he and ma got blasted by the IRS because they hadn't been leaving out as much as they had anticipated for self-employment taxes and whatnot. He's got some time off between gigs so he's gonna take the W8 back some time in May to work out the kinks and sell the thing off so that he can pay the gubmint what he owes them. Pretty much means I have a ticking clock on this thing if I ever wanna figure it out.

IN GOFL NEWS:

I found a brand-spankin-new-still-got-the-machining-oil-on-it oil pan on craigslist that comes with brake pads and rotors for $15! The plan for turboing the Gofl is to be able to convert everything back to stock if for some reason I would want to do that, so having a spare oil pan to tap the oil feed & return lines to isn't a bad idea, I don't think. Plus it's $15.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yo scuz which of the twin cities fine musical ensembles are you a part of?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am the bass player for the Right Here (fb link). We play 99% original music and rip off Merle Haggard, Roger Miller, and Ricky Nelson for the other 1%. :clint:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Saw this at Cars and Coffee Aliso Viejo last weekend:

The owner? A 16 year old with his mom. It is his first car. He'd spent 2 years researching weird, quirky, affordable cars that he could load his surfboards into. Godspeed young car weirdo!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

fyodor posted:

Saw this at Cars and Coffee Aliso Viejo last weekend:

The owner? A 16 year old with his mom. It is his first car. He'd spent 2 years researching weird, quirky, affordable cars that he could load his surfboards into. Godspeed young car weirdo!

fyodor posted:

It is his first car. He'd spent 2 years researching weird, quirky, affordable cars that he could load his surfboards into.

fyodor posted:

weird, quirky, affordable cars

fyodor posted:

affordable

I think he needed to do more research, but I've got to give him the best of luck. He's going to hate himself for loving that car

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

I think he needed to do more research, but I've got to give him the best of luck. He's going to hate himself for loving that car
"In order to run one, you need to have two." Or whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

scuz posted:

"In order to run one, you need to have two." Or whatever.

Or four :smithicide:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seriously. I wish dad had sprung for that $400 complete drive train from a few months ago, but that's obviously long gone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The best I can figure is that he managed to get a deal with his parents where "I'll pay for the purchase cost of the car, you guys pay for the maintenance costs."

In which case either his parents really love him or he really hates his parents :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My dad talked me into buying am SVX and I'm fairly certain even now if I told him I was thinking of buying a W8 Passat he'd tell me to gently caress off and its never entering his garage.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

IOwnCalculus posted:

The best I can figure is that he managed to get a deal with his parents where "I'll pay for the purchase cost of the car, you guys pay for the maintenance costs."

In which case either his parents really love him or he really hates his parents :v:

His mom seemed incredibly supportive and cool. She really loved that he they bought that quirky thing. For now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

I am the bass player for the Right Here (fb link). We play 99% original music and rip off Merle Haggard, Roger Miller, and Ricky Nelson for the other 1%. :clint:

Neato. I'm not familiar but maybe I'll check you guys out sometime!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

scuz posted:

I'm diggin this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dude sold me two rotors, two sets of brake pads, an oil pan, and a flex pipe for $20. All are brand new :parrot:

some texas redneck posted:

I'm diggin this.
Thanks, dude! If you know any bars in your area that wouldn't mind having us, shoot us a message/email/PM/whatever cuz we like to travel and play and stuff.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Neato. I'm not familiar but maybe I'll check you guys out sometime!
Come on out, I'll buy you a beer :cheers:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's my little bro's birthday today and for his birthday I've found a buyer for his 2000 1.8t B5 Passat. My roller derby pal needs a cheap whip and doesn't mind wrenching, so there's a very strong possibility that I'll get to work on not one but TWO Volkswagen Passats that 1.) do not belong to me, and 2.) belonged to my siblings. This particular one has an exhaust leak ("loud as poo poo" in my brother's words) and turbo problems, but only has 136k miles up, which really ain't bad. If I'm super lucky, I'll get to rebuild a turbo for the first time.

In other news, while researching the 1.8t in the Passat, I found out that the W8 puts out :stonk: 271hp

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

scuz posted:

In other news, while researching the 1.8t in the Passat, I found out that the W8 puts out :stonk: 271hp

So less than an equal displacement, simpler BMW engine from 1993? Sounds right.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh come now it's like a Toyota Century... smooooooooth baby.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

It's my little bro's birthday today and for his birthday I've found a buyer for his 2000 1.8t B5 Passat. My roller derby pal needs a cheap whip and doesn't mind wrenching, so there's a very strong possibility that I'll get to work on not one but TWO Volkswagen Passats that 1.) do not belong to me, and 2.) belonged to my siblings. This particular one has an exhaust leak ("loud as poo poo" in my brother's words) and turbo problems, but only has 136k miles up, which really ain't bad. If I'm super lucky, I'll get to rebuild a turbo for the first time.

The exhaust leak and turbo problems could be the same thing if its venting gas before it gets to the turbine.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The exhaust leak and turbo problems could be the same thing if its venting gas before it gets to the turbine.
We were thinking the same thing, but the brakes and clutch were squishy and made my buddy get cold feet. I dunno why he wussed out, those things probably just need to be bled. Oh well :(

In a supreme wet-fart ending, dad's taking the Passat back. :smith: He has more tools, expertise, and time on his hands and the whole thing was his to begin with. I was hoping to have more time to really show you guys more about this car, but my scheduling-fu is weak and has let you all down.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

scuz posted:

my scheduling-fu is weak and has let you all down.

Voted 3. :mad:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

More than I deserve :romo:

There exists a minute possibility that I will be able to assist him with working on the thing. Until then, it's van updates and cobbling together the components I'll need to turbo my blue turd Golf.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're not dead, bankrupt or having a mental breakdown, I'd say good outcome.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
One less VW on your plate! I missed out on a passat my buddy traded in for $800 - it was gas and only had 120k miles on it, still shifted smooth and had a shitload more power than my Jeep feels like it has.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

scuz posted:

More than I deserve :romo:

There exists a minute possibility that I will be able to assist him with working on the thing. Until then, it's van updates and cobbling together the components I'll need to turbo my blue turd Golf.

You got rid of the worst vw ever made and somehow you're....unhappy? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Slavvy posted:

You got rid of the worst vw ever made and somehow you're....unhappy? I don't get it.

Automotive insanity.

• Locked thread