Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have heard good things about bravely default and bravely second. but the art style kinda turns me off.

yoshida is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's chibi sprites and some decent monster designs. You're in it for the funny writing and the sweet job system. Cat wizards!

Ill have to give it a shot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ken Levine—former head of games developer Irrational Games, and best known as the writer on System Shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock Infinite, games known for their reality-twisting storytelling that subverted player expectation and perception—will be writing and directing the pilot for a new Twilight Zone

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lmao the new Twilight Zone is going the choose your own adventure route.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I want Ken Levine to make Freedom Force 3 instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ken Levine—former head of games developer Irrational Games, and best known as the writer on System Shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock Infinite, games known for their reality-twisting storytelling that subverted player expectation and perception—will be writing and directing the pilot for a new Twilight Zone

Its a side project, he is still working on the new 2k game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ken levine writing for the twilight zone is the real twilight zone. metafiction

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There basically zero chance a "new Twilight Zone" can be a better new twilight zone than Black Mirror already is.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Anything to keep him from writing more games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ken levine watches the futurama twilight zone parody

"the answer is man"

Ken: wow... really makes me think *begins to write*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Anything to keep him from writing more games.

Eh, Bioshock 1 is great, and infinite is good apart from various issues, (mostly because it feels like stichtech together more then frakenstien)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Eh, Bioshock 1 is great, and infinite is good apart from various issues, (mostly because it feels like stichtech together more then frakenstien)

Bioshock 1 is a pretty good story, but it doesn't connect into its gameplay nearly as cleverly as it thinks it does. It also sort of defeats its own purpose by doing the whole "you are a slave" thing, then never actually liberating your character in any meaningful way, just giving you another type of master. Even the "good" ending is basically you following somebody else's instructions, there's no real player agency, even after the point where there should be.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

There basically zero chance a "new Twilight Zone" can be a better new twilight zone than Black Mirror already is.
You're probably right, but Black Mirror was still loving terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've got to be the only person who thinks that BioShock's story is garbage and BioShock 2's is decent.

Edit: ^I think about 1/3 of Black Mirror is genius and the rest is... not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
none of the bioshocks were good in any way at all

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bioshock 1 is a pretty good story, but it doesn't connect into its gameplay nearly as cleverly as it thinks it does. It also sort of defeats its own purpose by doing the whole "you are a slave" thing, then never actually liberating your character in any meaningful way, just giving you another type of master. Even the "good" ending is basically you following somebody else's instructions, there's no real player agency, even after the point where there should be.

I think the only decision that is truly supposed to be your own, is whether you save the little sisters, hence the ending.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Good game actually bad game", argue goons

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

I've got to be the only person who thinks that BioShock's story is garbage and BioShock 2's is decent.

I liked the first episode a lot. It presents a weird scenario, it follows through with it, and everyone involves acts like people would actually act. It's a good examination of modern media through the lens of a weird news event.

The second episode is one of the laziest and shallowest bits of "speculative fiction" that I've ever seen in my life.

So the rest of the show might be great! Won't lie, I quit there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

probaly. I liked 2's gameplay and ideas of its story. Lamb could have done a lot more, but at the same time, I like that its a smaller story then 1 or infinite. but i liked minervas den alot more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: in response to FactsAreUseless

We are opposites. The second episode is mediocre. My two favorite episodes are probably the one where everyone records their memories, and the one where there are chatbots who imitate your dead loved ones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Edit: in response to FactsAreUseless

We are opposites. The second episode is mediocre. My two favorite episodes are probably the one where everyone records their memories, and the one where there are chatbots who imitate your dead loved ones.

isnt the second thing already real or at least in development?

Also i learned you can cite video games now with mla and apa.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I only watched a third of the second Black Mirror episode because I wasn't really feeling it at the time, but I've watched several others and they are pleasantly unsettling. One has a nice, Twilight Zone twist at the end, and the others are good about setting up a world where whatever conceit the episode is based around seems to fit.

I played a bit more of DS3 this morning and I think I'm at the last boss. It's kind of a shame because I found some twin swords that I really like and I've got a full closet of Fashion Souls armor bits to play around with, but I want to beat the game so I can see what I did wrong and roll up a different character. I've never been a huge fan of the new game+, but I wouldn't mind going through Lothric again with an arsenal from the start. Protip: Ranged attacks are godsends, and I've been using the longbow I found near the beginning of the game consistently and with great success. Wood arrows are dirt cheap and will save your life if only by letting you aggro one enemy at a time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nVPKYFE7Y&t=689s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8RCV0UWJgE

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i just tried caestus in ds2 and it's not very good, what gives?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

none of the bioshocks were good in any way at all

I liked 1 and the charm had kiiiinda worn off by 2 even though it had better gameplay but they were both a fun time for me

I want more games with Art Deco stuff all over the place

And weaponized bees

I thought Infinite was Not Good

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

bioshock infinite has the best video game writing of all time

there was an entire thread dedicated to the stupid ending and everything!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fun Gaming Fact:

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Bioshock 1 both feature the use of bees as weaponry and they are both good games

Coincidence?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

bioshock infinite has the best video game writing of all time

there was an entire thread dedicated to the stupid ending and everything!

really, i thought the ending was kinda meh, but i saw it coming and at least it was sorta thematic. it was better the mass effect 3's copout bullshit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

Fun Gaming Fact:

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Bioshock 2 both feature the use of bees as weaponry and they are both good games

Coincidence?

ftfy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone loves Rumiko Takahashi.

Ranma Fan: What would happen if Ranma got pregnant as a girl, then changed back to a boy?
Rumiko Takahashi: I don't think about that, and neither should you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked the first episode a lot. It presents a weird scenario, it follows through with it, and everyone involves acts like people would actually act. It's a good examination of modern media through the lens of a weird news event.

The second episode is one of the laziest and shallowest bits of "speculative fiction" that I've ever seen in my life.

So the rest of the show might be great! Won't lie, I quit there.

Anthology format shows are always going to have stinkers, that's part of the joy. The 90s Outer Limits is full of bad episodes but there's also some great ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

i just tried caestus in ds2 and it's not very good, what gives?

ftfy.

Just kidding, DS2 is fine. It's just not as good as 1 or 3 or Bloodborne.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Fun Gaming Fact:

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Bioshock 1 both feature the use of bees as weaponry and they are both good games

Coincidence?

So does far cry primal

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm sure jim sterling makes good poitns but i never click on his videos because of how he's dressed in the thumbnails

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

i'm sure jim sterling makes good poitns but i never click on his videos because of how he's dressed in the thumbnails

It's the glove. Why are you wearing gloves Jim. Do you have a claw under there ?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

guys

guys

BATTLEZONE 98 IS OUT ON STEAM

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I will literally never watch a Jimquisition video because he dresses like he wants to look like "Hitler, but cool"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Goering is Boring

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

setafd posted:

I will literally never watch a Jimquisition video because he dresses like he wants to look like "Hitler, but cool"

I never get why people like him, some of his reviews are good, but he is just a oval office who dresses like a fedoralord and makes clickbate poo poo.. also does anyone actually like/watch moviebob anymore. because he is tottal rear end in a top hat now too. all he does now is jerk off about nintendo and marvel movies.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 18, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

So does far cry primal

ah dammit

all my research

*sweeps scholarly Buck Bumble research papers off desk in disgust*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theultimo posted:

So does far cry primal

true and thats also a good game, sorta.

• Locked thread