Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

quadrophrenic posted:

do you mean the Giant Rat? Because I drop-stab that motherfucker on the reg

I'm pretty sure I know which covenant I missed Mound-makers and I don't mind too much

BTW I blame getting so convoluted in that area on starting as Assassin with the Spook spell and being unable to resist a tasty mysterious drop

So you already have Dilapidated Bridge bonfire then? It is right up the ladder from the giant rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

The Dark Id posted:

So is the Master of Infusions trophy hosed on PC? Cuz I just sat here and stuffed all 12 types into weapons and nothing. The fact that it says only 0.8% have gotten it would suggest that's the case. Unless it wants you to upgrade them all to max, in which case gently caress that noise.

That one gave me hell on PS4 until I savescummed, bought 15 daggers from Greirat and did one infusion on each. That's how ordinary/common/normal they need to be.

(Also you're missing a smithing ember with just having 12, probably hiding in an area that makes one go OHHELLNO)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Thread moves fast. Has the patch hit?

Any word on what FROM's "performance adjustments" are specifically?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just invaded the biggest goddamn baby in the game, I think. He had 2 phantoms with him, killed them both while he ran back all the way to the beginning of the zone to summon 2 more, and they wouldn't leave the little bonfire room. I was out of estus so I just said gently caress it and white branched in a corner and made lunch. Every so often I'd see the full 3-man gank squad running right past me, but they never gave up. After like 20 minutes one of them found me and I ran off to hide behind some annoying enemies. All of the phantoms sat back and sniped the enemies with arrows so they didn't have to risk the horror of an actual challenge of any kind. Once they finally started to close in I just black crystaled out.

Very petty, but it felt good. I don't even really mind getting blown out by a 3v1 fight, it's gonna happen no matter what, but ffs just be aggressive and do it, don't hang back and try to lure me into a 4x4 room where your buddies are posted up on either side of the doorway.

Also what is the deal with Mound Makers sometimes wanting you to kill multiple phantoms for your vertebrae? They wanted 3 phantoms dead in that match, which is kinda ridiculous.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just invaded the biggest goddamn baby in the game, I think. He had 2 phantoms with him, killed them both while he ran back all the way to the beginning of the zone to summon 2 more, and they wouldn't leave the little bonfire room. I was out of estus so I just said gently caress it and white branched in a corner and made lunch. Every so often I'd see the full 3-man gank squad running right past me, but they never gave up. After like 20 minutes one of them found me and I ran off to hide behind some annoying enemies. All of the phantoms sat back and sniped the enemies with arrows so they didn't have to risk the horror of an actual challenge of any kind. Once they finally started to close in I just black crystaled out.

Very petty, but it felt good. I don't even really mind getting blown out by a 3v1 fight, it's gonna happen no matter what, but ffs just be aggressive and do it, don't hang back and try to lure me into a 4x4 room where your buddies are posted up on either side of the doorway.

Dudes who need phantoms to help them go through the world are the worst.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

he didn't ask to be invaded, this isn't a 1v1 honorabru duel

the only :qq: I see is you

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Uhh, anyone else have a bug where you can't enter fog doors when summoned?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

MrLonghair posted:

That one gave me hell on PS4 until I savescummed, bought 15 daggers from Greirat and did one infusion on each. That's how ordinary/common/normal they need to be.

(Also you're missing a smithing ember with just having 12, probably hiding in an area that makes one go OHHELLNO)

Wrong number. I've got all the coals. I even undid an infusion to see if that counted. Hmph. Oh well. Guess that's thrown in with the rings trophy in not gonna happen.

Edit: Nevermind. Made another few infusions of poo poo I already did and it popped. Trophies are dumb.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 18, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Host has to enter the boss first, and the boss has to actually appear / start fighting or moving if its a boss that starts not in the fight

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

OK no magicians are hot rear end in this game. I'm getting my dick turned inside out by the abyss watchers because the only respectable source of damage I have roots me to the spot for several seconds and travels in a very straight line. Did they roll, or maybe just bend over to tie their shoes? You're hosed! Sometimes if the red-eye-guy decides to attack them instead of me, I make it to the second phase. Magic shield helps me to not die from fire but because he's so aggro the only thing I can fight him with is my crystal seer rapier, and he wins that battle of attrition quite handily even if I fish for backstabs. I haven't really found a direction to roll yet that doesn't end with me in some fire, so outlasting him with paper-thin defenses and the health of an ailing palsy child is nigh-on impossible.

It's funny because they're easily one of the coolest and most memorable bosses I've fought so far, on my strength character. The fight just really doesn't make much allowance for casters.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dudes who need phantoms to help them go through the world are the worst.

I mean I get that some people just struggle more with these games and genuinely need help sometimes, but I don't understand the people that have a 3-man team for literally the entire game. How is that even fun? Nothing is even remotely challenging anymore, and you can't even really explore at your own pace or anything. To each their own I guess, but DS3 would be boring as poo poo to me if I never had to worry about dying.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone else having issues with textures not loading/performance going to poo poo after about half an hour of play? I never had this problem until like four days ago. Not sure if it's just to do with Irithyll/the subsequent areas/a post-release patch or what but it's really killing the game for me.

I've been sitting at the loading screen for like five minutes now and the game is installed on an SSD. Even moved it to a separate SSD and no change. Makes no sense.

edit: even alt-F4's the game and it's still at 22% CPU and 700MB of RAM used...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the prisoner's chain worth using or is the extra damage too much?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I summoned someone in the dungeon and they died not long before the giant and i have no idea how to get back there after dying to said giant. Am I supposed to be able to kill it without it taking all night?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

I've seen this alot. Not sure what causes it. There's definitely something finicky going on.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I summoned someone in the dungeon and they died not long before the giant and i have no idea how to get back there after dying to said giant. Am I supposed to be able to kill it without it taking all night?

Remember that one boss fight from Demon Souls?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Remember that one boss fight from Demon Souls?

I think so. time to look for some ballistas? Pity i've got the key but have no loving idea where to go after following a summon lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mortimer posted:

he didn't ask to be invaded, this isn't a 1v1 honorabru duel

the only :qq: I see is you

Nah he's right, that guy is a huge baby. They should have attacked him long ago given that they had overwhelming odds.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the prisoner's chain worth using or is the extra damage too much?

It doesn't feel like a worthwhile tradeoff to me, but some people like it a lot. Late in the game there are too many enemies that can eat 50%+ of your health bar if you get caught by a combo, so that ring seems like a good way to have a bunch of annoying, preventable deaths for not a whole lot of extra stats.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Also what is the deal with Mound Makers sometimes wanting you to kill multiple phantoms for your vertebrae? They wanted 3 phantoms dead in that match, which is kinda ridiculous.

What I never understand about these stories is why the hosts never just log out of the game if they're so worried about invasions? Wouldn't that save their progress AND disconnect you?

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Pontiff Sulyvahn is a motherfucker.

That is all.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I think so. time to look for some ballistas? Pity i've got the key but have no loving idea where to go after following a summon lol

No, the other one. There should be something you can wield against him in the boss room.

Something with a very familiar name.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Fume ultra great sword is ridiculous by the way and I highly recommend everyone try it. Once i've got enough stamina to get more than 2 swings it'll be immense. Most invaders die in 3 hits it hits so hard

Cicadas! posted:

No, the other one. There should be something you can wield against him in the boss room.

oh ok. i died trying to get past him

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Well I guess i found where the party is at

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, do you only see summon signs with the same password? So I can put in a gibberish password and only see npc signs?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also what is the deal with Mound Makers sometimes wanting you to kill multiple phantoms for your vertebrae?

I'm pretty sure it wants you to kill the number of phantoms in the session, and if there aren't any, it wants you to kill a blue sentinel or whoever might show up later.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

You know, in DS1 when they said the gods had all moved out of Anor Londo, I figured they meant the other side of the world or a distant country, and not like, the palace next door.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You are very cool my man

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Going to put this in spoilers since I don't actually know what I've done and how much of it is relevant to the story.

In Archdragon Peak, there's a giant bell towards the end of it with a bunch of messages around it essentially saying that if you ring it you lock yourself out of the dragon covenant or something similar. I cleared out everything else in the area, including killing Havel who was standing next to the corpse of a dead dragon in what looked like a dead end area. He had attacked me earlier and killed me, and after killing him I couldn't find anything else in the area or any way to join the dragon covenant. My guess is that the first time Havel attacks you here you're supposed to kill him on your first try, and if you fail he succeeds in climbing to the top of the peak to kill the dragon which would otherwise let you into the covenant. Since I couldn't find anything else to do, I went to ring the bell despite the clear warnings. I was expecting it to at least open up the gate underneath the bell which had no lever anywhere I could find, but the gate is still closed and I don't think I actually accomplished anything positive by ringing it. I completely cleared out everything else I could find in the area besides whatever is behind that gate.

So have I basically screwed myself out of dragon covenant, or is it just something which will prove to be significant later on?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Farron Greatsword breakdancing, slaughters the gently caress out of the shotelai assholes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I mean I get that some people just struggle more with these games and genuinely need help sometimes, but I don't understand the people that have a 3-man team for literally the entire game. How is that even fun? Nothing is even remotely challenging anymore, and you can't even really explore at your own pace or anything. To each their own I guess, but DS3 would be boring as poo poo to me if I never had to worry about dying.

Sounds like someone needs to get into the spirit of jolly co-operation!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bass Bottles posted:

What I never understand about these stories is why the hosts never just log out of the game if they're so worried about invasions? Wouldn't that save their progress AND disconnect you?

You can't quit out during an invasion unless you alt + f4

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, once in a while someone just pulls the plug or rolls off of a cliff on purpose or something. Disconnecting supposedly adds to some hidden counter that eventually makes it harder to find summoned help until you use the Way of the White Circlet, but in practice I don't think there's any noticeable penalty. Maybe it will be a bigger deal when there aren't a million people playing it, but eh. Usually when it becomes a 3v1 it's obvious that they want to win the fight so they can use their sweet gloat emotes, but they don't actually want any of the risk involved so mostly they sit back with their shield up and let their phantoms duke it out.

pmchem posted:

Sounds like someone needs to get into the spirit of jolly co-operation!

I help people all the time, and it's usually a lot of fun. I've had some great sunbro moments where I lead people to hidden treasure or cool stuff and they get all excited. I love that kinda stuff. I just personally wouldn't want my first time through any of the zones to be rolling with a 3 man murder machine that trivializes the entire game. There's so much tension and atmosphere and cool little details that you just totally miss out on that way. I've got nothing against people summoning when they hit a roadblock, especially since some people have a much lower tolerance for smashing their head against a wall, but it seems like a lot of people don't ever even try it solo.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 18, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FutonForensic posted:

You know, in DS1 when they said the gods had all moved out of Anor Londo, I figured they meant the other side of the world or a distant country, and not like, the palace next door.

"Lothric is where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge"

Cornyx also talks about Izalith "drifting close"

Translation: Dark Souls universe features lands literally being functionally independent realms/planes of existence that sometimes drift in and out of phase with each other.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The whole gimmick and story of the game is the relationship between the cycle of death and reincarnation. Being too afraid to die goes against it all. Besides, none of the runs back to bosses or through levels are even that long/tough. The hardest one so far was the Pontiff but even that was no where near as annoying as some of the runs have been in the past (Freja and Smelter Demon had the fuckin worst).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Is there anyone here who would actually be pissed off if they accidentally read a boss name? Like unless it was a direct reference to something in another game I don't get the spoilies..I don't want to start an argument about it I just want to know who is legitimately like "yeah if I read a boss name and then ran into that boss I would be kind of annoyed".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've seen this alot. Not sure what causes it. There's definitely something finicky going on.

Its a client-server (server being the other person's computer, not like, a FROM owned server) de-sync issue.

Its the same problem causing people to appear in T-pose permanently as they move around.

It really sucks and hopefully today's patch addressed some of it? I've had quite a few summons where we couldn't do dick (even after the host is most assuredly fighting the boss and taking hits, you just never get the "boss challenged, okay to enter boss" message so you're stuck)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fun-having Dark Souls III player: I am enjoying my experience playing the game with friendly strangers to help me. I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Grizzled Patriarch: People playing the game differently than me are loving scum. Twisted loving psychopath.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

The whole gimmick and story of the game is the relationship between the cycle of death and reincarnation. Being too afraid to die goes against it all. Besides, none of the runs back to bosses or through levels are even that long/tough. The hardest one so far was the Pontiff but even that was no where near as annoying as some of the runs have been in the past (Freja and Smelter Demon had the fuckin worst).

the pontiff has a direct run with all enemies easily avoidable. its one of the best in all dark souls games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jose posted:

the pontiff has a direct run with all enemies easily avoidable. its one of the best in all dark souls games

I was taking the elevator down and looping around to the far side of the church :downs:.