Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SpookyLizard posted:

The blood thing reminds me of an episode of Burn Notice where they do basically the same thing, but since the bad guys are smart and no one falls for pigs blood anymore, they drained a bunch of the guys blood to spread around the car. And I think have him a transfusion so he could properly run away and not look like he was missing a few gills of blood.

E: btw the guy narrating the stuff earlier is the Keith Szarabajka, a guy whose name I absolutely cannot pronounce, but who holds a place dear to my heart for voicing Joshua Graham in Fallout New Vegas.

Wonder if he's just the narrator or if he's a character we'll meet later. Picked the game up again myself after getting stalled out earlier when it came out. Made it to Ad Vice desk but had to take a break after experiencing a persistent game issue where my partner keeps getting parked on by the squad car, can NOT imagine why... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
Cashier: Here's your order, sir.
Phelps: Is this my order? Is this some sort of sick joke? This isn't my order. Stop screwing with me, and give me what I ordered.
Cashier: Sir, that is your order. Or do you have proof that is someone else's order?
Phelps: (checks notebook for 30 seconds) Apologies, my mistake.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

SpookyLizard posted:

E: btw the guy narrating the stuff earlier is the Keith Szarabajka, a guy whose name I absolutely cannot pronounce, but who holds a place dear to my heart for voicing Joshua Graham in Fallout New Vegas.

He's in a lot more stuff than I thought. I knew I'd heard him somewhere before but drat. Harbinger from Mass Effect 2, Trigon from the old Teen Titans series, Cornelius Slate from Bioshock Infinite (what a coincidence :v: ), and Captain Apollo Diomedes from Dawn of War II: Retribution, the hammiest space marine. He's pretty good, and has a decent range of voice, especially in his voice acting roles.

MadDogMike posted:

Wonder if he's just the narrator or if he's a character we'll meet later. Picked the game up again myself after getting stalled out earlier when it came out. Made it to Ad Vice desk but had to take a break after experiencing a persistent game issue where my partner keeps getting parked on by the squad car, can NOT imagine why... :v:

We saw him in this episode actually! He's the partner for the last desk in the game, Herschel Biggs.

Spoilered for those who don't want to be spoiled in a free spoiler thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

I believe it's pronounced like "Sarah-bike-ah."

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I believe it's pronounced like "Sarah-bike-ah."

Close. The "Sz" at the begginning is pronounced like "sh".

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's pretty fun when you recognize the actors in the game. Frank Morgan is Dead Meat from Hot Shots!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Matt Parkman will show up later.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aumanor posted:

Close. The "Sz" at the begginning is pronounced like "sh".

I looked up a video of him saying it and he doesn't use the "sh", probably because he's American and doesn't bother keeping to strict Polish pronunciation. Very first second of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqigVSTMFLc

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Gihyou posted:

Cashier: Here's your order, sir.
Phelps: Is this my order? Is this some sort of sick joke? This isn't my order. Stop screwing with me, and give me what I ordered.
Cashier: Sir, that is your order. Or do you have proof that is someone else's order?
Phelps: (checks notebook for 30 seconds) Apologies, my mistake.

Honestly, the one thing I don't like about the lies so far is how every single time someone will say either "you can't prove that" or "you better have proof". Which may not feel as bad if you accuse people of lying at the correct time, but watching Bobbin show off Cole's mood swings really makes it obvious and seems really weird to me.

I barely remember what Harbinger sounded like ME2, but I can definitely hear his voice in DOW2. But I could listen to this man read the phone book.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SpookyLizard posted:

Honestly, the one thing I don't like about the lies so far is how every single time someone will say either "you can't prove that" or "you better have proof". Which may not feel as bad if you accuse people of lying at the correct time, but watching Bobbin show off Cole's mood swings really makes it obvious and seems really weird to me.

I barely remember what Harbinger sounded like ME2, but I can definitely hear his voice in DOW2. But I could listen to this man read the phone book.

I believe in one of the future episodes I've recorded we'll meet someone who's pretty good at not being so direct about it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

SpookyLizard posted:

I think the thing that always gets me is how the people Cole accuses of lying demand he prove what he's saying in a way that sounds like they're daring him, or in a way that makes it soound like they are guilty and they know they know it even when they're not. It's just such and unnatural reaction.

Most people (if they weren't guilty) would likely try defending themselves first by denying it and offering their own corrobrrating evidence. Or at the very least berate you for making such an accusation and call you out on the absurdity. But that would likely make the right and wrong answers even more obvious during questioning.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You know what's the thing that I find most off-putting about this game? The droning sound during interrogations.

After you hit the Truth/Doubt/Lie prompt, and it plays the little piano sting, it fades into this... I don't know if it's supposed to be a very drawn out string note or what but it just drones on and on and loving on while people continue to say whatever at you and it grates and irritates and its in my head and gently caress who the hell is responsible for this atrocity-

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it also crescendos when you choose the correct option so I think the point was that you would just know which answer right away and you would get this tense build up of the drone. It doesn't really work out that way because as soon as you choose "lie" it dies away as you flip through your book.

It works because it fills in dead air while Cole and the witness are talking but there is still a looooot of dead air to fill between dialogue so it ends up not working as well as it could have. It also feels like something you'd have in these scenes in a noir movie but again that doesn't translate well because you're not in a movie, you're in a game where you have to take time figuring things out unlike in the movies where everyone read the script so they know what to say.

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think the thing that always gets me is how the people Cole accuses of lying demand he prove what he's saying in a way that sounds like they're daring him, or in a way that makes it soound like they are guilty and they know they know it even when they're not. It's just such and unnatural reaction.

Most people (if they weren't guilty) would likely try defending themselves first by denying it and offering their own corrobrrating evidence. Or at the very least berate you for making such an accusation and call you out on the absurdity. But that would likely make the right and wrong answers even more obvious during questioning.

What gets *me* about the accusations of lying is how the reaction is often times smug or angry. In my experience, if you show any form of attitude to a cop, you *will* get arrested. He'll come up with a story to justify charges later if he's in a bad mood.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just a side note: I seem to remember that at the time that the game was coming out most of the actors within it were playing parts on Mad Men.

And Adam Harrington (Roy Earle) has more recently been mocapped for Battlefield Hardline.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This game makes for a really good LP and it's one of my favorites of the last generation. It's flawed up the rear end, especially in terms of the story which devolves into some really dumb bullshit towards the end, but just in terms of detail and atmosphere it's insanely enjoyable and nails 1940's LA, or at least the way I imagine it was. I hardly ever let my partner drive because of how much I loved just cruising around the city. Too bad there's not much to do in it aside from some hollow, tacked-on collectables. Also in civilian cars the radio plays some really choice music and actual radio ads from the era and it's definitely worth listening to.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's pretty fun when you recognize the actors in the game. Frank Morgan is Dead Meat from Hot Shots!
Goddamn, I never connected that particular dot. Wendy I can flyyyyyyy!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Speaking of flying, I once watched an LP of this game where the player was listening to a conversation while driving in a car between Phelps and I think the jaded partner from the homicide desk, and in the middle of it the player drove them right off a cliff. They stopped talking in midair, but when they landed they started right back up where they left off, as if nothing had happened, still sounding so mildly annoyed with each other. It was hysterical.

Any chance of recreating such a scene?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Montegoraon posted:

Speaking of flying, I once watched an LP of this game where the player was listening to a conversation while driving in a car between Phelps and I think the jaded partner from the homicide desk, and in the middle of it the player drove them right off a cliff. They stopped talking in midair, but when they landed they started right back up where they left off, as if nothing had happened, still sounding so mildly annoyed with each other. It was hysterical.

Any chance of recreating such a scene?

This is actually more likely to happen than not, and I know exactly which cliff you're talking about. It's either Traffic or Homicide (I think it's Traffic because it's pretty early in the game), and a really common route that everyone takes unexpectedly ends in a dead end at a little lookout point. If you're driving really fast and don't notice that the road suddenly loving ends, you'll go sailing into the air off a 30 foot drop and conveniently land right back on a road.

Yes, this happened to me too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

If you guys are talking about the thing I think you're talking about, I've already missed my opportunity to sail through the sky. On the bright side, I think my gormless fumbling to try and get around is entertaining in its own way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's a mission later on where you have to use your car as a battering ram to knock down a fence gate to get to your destination. Making you take a penalty to your damage inflicted penalties.

Or you can have your partner drive and they just teleport your car into the lot with the door still locked, have fun getting out!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you guys are talking about the thing I think you're talking about, I've already missed my opportunity to sail through the sky. On the bright side, I think my gormless fumbling to try and get around is entertaining in its own way.

Having seen next week's video already, this is very true.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Oh, this game. THIS. GAME.

I have no problem with Cole being a hardass. He experienced war. He has a family. He wants prestige for a job well done, and (game mechanics aside) he does a drat good job. They painstakingly paint him as a man who keeps things on the straight and narrow even in a city that has long learned to bend the rules on a regular basis.

And then ...well...let's just say that the turns are too loving clunky. I'm watching with intense interest because Bobbin is an LP master and I want as much exposure to the films he mentions. I am very ignorant when it comes to that stuff.

I'll just say that for a smart case man, Cole ultimately comes across as ridiculously stupid and I can't unsee it :psypop:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The game is indeed clunky and the cases involve a lot of unlikely coincidences, villains with implausible abilities and shoe-horned action sequences. Still, it is very atmospheric and a good game for this type of LP.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Like GTAV, it's a really good snapshot of a place, but not a very good interaction simulator.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
William Dewey has got some impressive jowls.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

William Dewey has got some impressive jowls.

Shame about the rest of his body; the people models really fall down when the body type strays from "tall thin man/woman with short hair".

But yeah, I found this case pretty juicy; it's certainly in the wheelhouse of traffic and there are some real characters- like Valdez, with his white suit, carnation, and patent leather gloves- that are too interesting to miss. We still have the kid gloves on, though; the lying tells are still obvious (Jacobs' in particular is hilarious), as are all the clues... I'm pretty sure the only way to fail is if you somehow kill Del Gado during the chase, and the only way to do that is to shoot him before you arrest him. But that's a really good pairing of movies and case, Bobbin, well done!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Oddities in this case:
- Valdez disparages the US, yet for some reason he wrote the comments in his notebook in English.
- Phelps says "embassy" instead of "consulate general".
- Gabriel and Anna has a bible in English rather than the expected Spanish.
- Why did they park the Packard inside a residental courtyard if they wanted to strip it for parts? Surely an open lot with no witnesses would be preferable.

resurgam40 posted:

Shame about the rest of his body; the people models really fall down when the body type strays from "tall thin man/woman with short hair".

But yeah, I found this case pretty juicy; it's certainly in the wheelhouse of traffic and there are some real characters- like Valdez, with his white suit, carnation, and patent leather gloves- that are too interesting to miss. We still have the kid gloves on, though; the lying tells are still obvious (Jacobs' in particular is hilarious), as are all the clues... I'm pretty sure the only way to fail is if you somehow kill Del Gado during the chase, and the only way to do that is to shoot him before you arrest him. But that's a really good pairing of movies and case, Bobbin, well done!

Part of it is that the engine is severely limited when it comes to rendering people. All women have hairstyles that keep their hair fixed in place due to the engine being unable to render hair moving independently of the head. There is also a scene in a later case where a secretary with a low-cut blouse displays cleavage that looks like two clumps of putty mashed together.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 18, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

Part of it is that the engine is severely limited in when it comes to rendering people. All women have hairstyles that keep their hair fixed in place due to the engine being unable to render hair moving independently of the head. There is also a scene in a later case where a secretary with a low-cut blouse displays cleavage that looks like two clumps of putty mashed together.

There's also a scene where there's a really obvious and hideous neck line on a model, where it's immediately obvious the difference in quality of the head and body meshes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"You gently caress young boys, Valdez?" remains one of my favorite lines in the game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I burst out laughing the first time Phelps dropped that bomb and I did again when I just watched the video. It's almost too bad it wasn't followed up with a "if you never ask, you never know."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I don't much care for Dr Spock in general, but leaving that aside - did you seriously just go "Freud? Freud who? I'm pretty sure the notion of child psychiatry and that the behavior of the parents shapes the personality of the child got its start in the 1950's"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 6, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Speaking of homosexuality, Wikipedia has an article on "LGBT history in California":

quote:

In 1921, the penalty of sodomy was lowered to 1–10 years imprisonment. The same year, a constitutional amendment prohibiting oral sex (namely "the act of copulating the mouth of one person with the sexual organ of another") was passed, retaining the 15-year imprisonment as a penalty without regard to sexual orientation. Finally, a third act gave free rein to the government to prohibit and restrict any sexual activity, stating that "any act...which openly outrages public decency" would be punished.

As a result of these and prior laws, California became notorious for egregious invasions of privacy, with numerous cases of residential espionage by neighbors, family members, rivals or hired private investigators; the majority of these invasions (including the drilling of holes into walls) went unchallenged by defendants in court. In addition, beginning with a law in 1909 which allowed for the sterilization of convicted and imprisoned sex offenders if they showed recidivism in prison towards being a "moral or sexual pervert" (including those committed for sodomy, fellatio, or cunnilingus) the allowance for the sterilization of inmates became so extensive that by 1934, some 9,931 inmates had been sterilized.

A psychopathic offender law, the first to be enacted outside of the Midwestern United States, was passed in 1939, and would also add a further, constantly amended layer to California's laws regarding "perverts".

Apparently homosexuality was only decriminalised in the state in 1976. There are no cases in game involving pursuing "sexual perverts", which seems like a missed opportunity. It could have added an interesting dimension of moral dissonance if the player had to play through spying on consenting adults in private and locking them up for something that these days is not a crime at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kopijeger posted:

Apparently homosexuality was only decriminalised in the state in 1976. There are no cases in game involving pursuing "sexual perverts", which seems like a missed opportunity. It could have added an interesting dimension of moral dissonance if the player had to play through spying on consenting adults in private and locking them up for something that these days is not a crime at all.
Or abortions, or interracial romance, or being a communist / sympathizers (I think that will still land you on federal watch / black lists?)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Kopijeger posted:

There are no cases in game involving pursuing "sexual perverts", which seems like a missed opportunity. It could have added an interesting dimension of moral dissonance if the player had to play through spying on consenting adults in private and locking them up for something that these days is not a crime at all.

Part of the problem there is that this particular case involves a diplomat from Argentina - therefore any sort of criminal investigation into him would have to go to the Federal Level.

... Which would be under the purview of the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover. Yeah, if this became a 'sexual deviancy' case, that Consular General is FUBAR.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

(I think that will still land you on federal watch / black lists?)

Not unless you're real fukkin' nuts in public.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

...being a communist / sympathizers...

This actually crops up later in a limited fashion (as in suspects being looked down upon for sympathising with leftist views).

berryjon posted:

Part of the problem there is that this particular case involves a diplomat from Argentina - therefore any sort of criminal investigation into him would have to go to the Federal Level.

... Which would be under the purview of the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover. Yeah, if this became a 'sexual deviancy' case, that Consular General is FUBAR.

I suspect a diplomat like him would simply return to his homeland rather than have his immunity suspended in order to be prosecuted by local authorities. Come to think of it, why is he stationed in the US if he dislikes the country so much?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 18, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

"You gently caress young boys, Valdez?" remains one of my favorite lines in the game.

His delivery of it is loving perfect too. I love it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Kopijeger posted:

I suspect a diplomat like him would simply return to his homeland rather than have his immunity suspended in order to be prosecuted by local authorities. Come to think of it, why is he stationed in the US if he dislikes the country so much?

Because our boys are better? :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akul
Aug 29, 2012
That MotionScan sure is something else, I recognized Dewey's actor from late nineties FMV game where he acted a shirtless potter with an accent.

• Locked thread