Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also what is the deal with Mound Makers sometimes wanting you to kill multiple phantoms for your vertebrae? They wanted 3 phantoms dead in that match, which is kinda ridiculous.

mad phantoms must kill everyone else in the world, or the host, you pick. if you don't want to kill 3 other phantoms, i guess you'd better kill the host.

if you're mad about the host making the odds 3v1 mad phantoms might not be for you. 90% of the time the host will do this as soon as you pop into his/her game. it's a pretty great rush when you win a 2 or 3v1 match-up, because you only have to kill the host.

fwiw if you learn the zone you're invading you can turn a 3v1 into a very manageable encounter - just lead them into a narrow hallway or stairwell or something that funnels them into more of a straight line. they can't clip thru each other, but if you use a big enough weapon, you can sometimes smack 2 or 3 of them at once! also the host is notoriously bad at protecting the phantoms, so if you go after them first you will usually kill them and get your win and the host won't do poo poo to stop you because they are expecting you to go after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I have two spoilery questions about NPC sidequests in this game that I don't want to consult a wiki for:

1. Is this like DS2 where I need to summon certain NPCs to finish sidequests? More specifically, (Cathedral of the Deep spoiler) apparently you can summon Sirris of the Sunless Realms for the Deacons of the Deep. Have I hosed up her sidequest by not summoning her?

2. This is related to Orbeck of Vinheim. Yuria of Londor says I should kill him but I'm kind of curious what happens if I don't. Is this anything like Lautrec in the first game where I'm massively screwing myself over when I leave him alive?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TGLT posted:

Actually, that one makes sense. You find Mirrah Knight armor in the area. The other weapon you get from Rotwood mentions being "one of the curses that festered" in its belly, so the weapons are coming from the curses or cursed people that the townsfolk jammed into the tree. Lucatiel was kinda super hollow, and you get her mask using the moundmaker's covenant item, so the townspeople probably jammed her into the tree with the rest of the cursed folk.

On the other hand, her mask is basically an easter egg from the crows, which is odd if the set and the HSGS are supposed to be her gear.

People tend to assume when they find a suit of armor or something that it must be the original owner's, but a lot of weapons and armor in Dark Souls aren't unique and are instead the gear favored by a particular group or order or whatever. You may be right in this case but it's a good thing to keep in mind!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I agree with the posters who say this feels like a fitting conclusion to the Dark Souls saga. I don't really know how you would escalate from here anyway, so I sort of agree that I don't need a Dark Souls 4.

If From continues to do fantasy hack-em-ups, I'd love to see them begin a new IP that starts out a little smaller in scope. I mean, I love saving the world (or not) from eternal darkness and/or lovecraftian moon demons as much as the next guy, but you can only save the universe so many times. I'd love to see From's take on something simple, like a one-kingdom battle between three siblings for the crown when their father the King dies, or a quest for the magic water of whateverthefuck to cure the pope's daughter, or hell, even just a descent into Hell to rescue a single lost soul. Maybe reports of a keep in the outskirts of the kingdom falling to vampires needs investigating, maybe there's a ghost in the lake who is loud and anti-semitic, i don't know!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What does Hollowing actually do?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

I have two spoilery questions about NPC sidequests in this game that I don't want to consult a wiki for:

1. Is this like DS2 where I need to summon certain NPCs to finish sidequests? More specifically, (Cathedral of the Deep spoiler) apparently you can summon Sirris of the Sunless Realms for the Deacons of the Deep. Have I hosed up her sidequest by not summoning her?
As far as I know, there are nothing like this. AT LEAST in the case you mention, it is not necessary to summon that NPC at all for the sake of advancing the quest line. It does require that YOU be summoned to the NPC's world (through a summon sign of the NPC), but you don't really have to worry about whether or not any bosses are alive/dead to still have the opportunity.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Here's my unkindled:

I've been using the pickaxe; I heard priests like miners.

Spoilered for boss content:

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AT THE POPEDOME: TWO POPES ENTER, ONE POPE LEAVES

For people struggling with heavy weapons like I was: play with the charge R2. The large clubs in particular lets you charge a leap attack and can win most encounters by resorting to trading blows if you have spare healing and just can't be hosed to fight them proper. (looking at you, cathedral knights) Also you can release the R2 at any point during the charge which lets you release early if they come in range sooner than you think.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It gives you a really bad skin condition

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Surgery posted:

If From continues to do fantasy hack-em-ups, I'd love to see them begin a new IP that starts out a little smaller in scope.

Bloodborne is weird because for the most part it is actually a small-scale game that takes place in a single city and is about that city's fate, history, collective sins, etc... but it's bizarre to imagine the implications and consequences of the game being localized.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I can't find Patches. I think he may be totally missing in my game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Andrast posted:

Don't get hit

kukri's do good damage i've found.

Insurrectionist posted:

How the hell do you have 61 Int at Aldrich, did you not put a single point in anything else? My highest stat was 30 when I fought him at level ~64.

I've got 50 strength and I've yet to fight the boss in irithyll dungeon. I got myself 20 vit, 15 end and then everything else has gone into strength so i can use the fume ultra great sword one handed when I need a horizontal swing and its been worth it. Its ludicrously strong and poise breaks everything

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't know, I cured it and then the dude died :negative:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Bloodborne is weird because for the most part it is actually a small-scale game that takes place in a single city and is about that city's fate, history, collective sins, etc... but it's bizarre to imagine the implications and consequences of the game being localized.

Yeah that's true... it's a real mindfuck because it's somehow cosmic and also small-town politics at the same time.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've finished all of the main / optional bosses in the game and am about to start NG+. However, I screwed up a bunch of sidequests and many of my NPCs are gone. Is there a place I can find Anri's Corpse if I didn't do his quest? I kind of wanted the straight sword before I flip over to the next game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pyromancy owns, Vordt loving melts to fireballs and the initial stats mean you can swing around that Deep Battle Axe no problem.

Of course...you do still have to dodge or else you'll get shoulder checked to death.. :darksouls:

I think Bloodborne is the exact perfect setting for Miyazaki's style of storytelling and game design. It's the closest he's come to making a Castlevania game, with one large ubiquitous setting that all of the action takes place in. Yharnam is an outstanding setting and it's kind of amazing that he manages to make its culture and history so vibrant while never actually telling you much concrete information about it. Bloodborne is basically questions upon more questions, yet through its environment and design it tells you an emotional story, like a subliminal tug at your heartstrings.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
The thing about being a Wizard is that most bosses and a lot of enemies have such strong, persistent gap-closing moves that you can't keep your distance anymore. You have to dodge their poo poo and then take a shot while you have an opening, except instead of 'step forward, swing sword' you can 'stand still, launch fireball.' Treat your heavy soul arrow like a greatsword with longer reach.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

God drat it I had Aldrich down to 1 hit left and died like a bitch in his (her?) rear end fire. Also every summon I've tried for this fight has been worse than useless. I'm Bad At Dark Souls.

Regarding that boss's gender, reading between the lines, I'm pretty sure Aldrich, Saint of the Deep and Eater of Gods, was originally a man before he leveled up too much and mutated into a big fuckin amoeba thing, and the feminine figure launching spells at you is the hollowed-out corpse of Gwyndolin, Darkmoon Tranny Demigod, who he has mostly eaten alive, and is now waving around like a puppet with his amoeba prong.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay, dancer is down. I really really love that fight, I think it might be my favourite so far. All the pews and poo poo lying around are a bit annoying, but the animations are good, the style is really nice and a break from everything so far, the music is really good and also really fitting. It's thematically consistent, and it looks really good, and to top it all off, none of it felt at all bullshit. No attacks like that aldrich arrow thing, no sudden second healthbar, no annoying secondary summons to deal with, escalation that's not overtuned. A really good boss, A+ From.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Also, I have a friend who says that he found Chameleon on a corpse, even though he didn't level up with the pilgrim 5 times and so that other NPC didn't show up after the pilgrim died. Everything I'm reading online says that finding Chameleon is predicated upon that NPC showing up (so, you had to have levelled up with the pilgrim 5 times before entering the catacombs)

If there's anyone else who finds Chameleon WITHOUT that other npc showing up please let me know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

2. This is related to Orbeck of Vinheim. Yuria of Londor says I should kill him but I'm kind of curious what happens if I don't. Is this anything like Lautrec in the first game where I'm massively screwing myself over when I leave him alive?

Orbec's a nice dude, Yuria wants him dead because she's not a very nice lady. She'll give you a prize if you bring her his remains, but you won't be locking yourself out of anything by keeping him alive.

If you want to know, this game's version of Yurt/Lautrec is Leonhard, the completely trustworthy gentleman who initially gives you Cracked Red Eye Orbs, and even then he's not much of a nuisance.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

On the other hand, her mask is basically an easter egg from the crows, which is odd if the set and the HSGS are supposed to be her gear.

People tend to assume when they find a suit of armor or something that it must be the original owner's, but a lot of weapons and armor in Dark Souls aren't unique and are instead the gear favored by a particular group or order or whatever. You may be right in this case but it's a good thing to keep in mind!

Sure, but the sword's description pretty explicitly matches up with her motivations in DaS2. Well that and it specifically says it was used by a "masked knight" and I don't remember her brother having a mask, so I don't think it's standard Mirrah Knight equipment.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

a cop posted:

I don't know, I cured it and then the dude died :negative:

If it's any consolation, he dies anyway after you use up all his free levels. Spending souls to cure the hollowing doesn't seem to do anything outside of the visual effect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think Bloodborne is the exact perfect setting for Miyazaki's style of storytelling and game design. It's the closest he's come to making a Castlevania game, with one large ubiquitous setting that all of the action takes place in. Yharnam is an outstanding setting and it's kind of amazing that he manages to make its culture and history so vibrant while never actually telling you much concrete information about it. Bloodborne is basically questions upon more questions, yet through its environment and design it tells you an emotional story, like a subliminal tug at your heartstrings.

I really liked that (if you get the DLC) the most relentlessly grim, hateful, and apocalyptic game in FROM's repertoire ends on its most bittersweet note.

A bottomless curse. A bottomless sea.
Accepting of all that there is, and can be.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
By the way, people had been reporting problems as caster vs. the abyss watchers and while I'm the ultimate quality build, I actually killed them using entirely pyro (other than backstabbing guy #1 at the start, make sure you do that... back stab into fully charged R2).

There's always gaps to throw a fire orb. Once the 2nd guy spawns, you have to kind of dodge both of them at the same time (hardest part of the fight), until the red eye guy distracts them. In that case, kill the one that's not distracted (or pound the boss if they both are).

Then in phase 2, backpedal around in a big circle. He has three different dash / distance closing moves. 1) fiery swirl 2)fire thrust 3)fire behind him but otherwise harmless. Every time he does 1, you can chuck a fireorb. Sometimes he dodges it but usually he does a second attack that can't hit you. You can usually do it for #3 too, but it's slightly trickier timing so I don't advise it unless you're running out of mana. Whatever you do, don't gently caress around with #2... it does a lot of damage and has very little recovery after.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

a cop posted:

Also, I have a friend who says that he found Chameleon on a corpse, even though he didn't level up with the pilgrim 5 times and so that other NPC didn't show up after the pilgrim died. Everything I'm reading online says that finding Chameleon is predicated upon that NPC showing up (so, you had to have levelled up with the pilgrim 5 times before entering the catacombs)

If there's anyone else who finds Chameleon WITHOUT that other npc showing up please let me know.

i found it on a corpse and have no knowledge of what you mean by pilgrim. I did speak to the NPC's in the halfway fortress, catacombs and then kill horace in the smouldering lake

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ Thanks. I'll give some of that a try on a low INT build and see how it goes.

a cop posted:

Please someone answer this. I was JUST toying with the idea of carebearing my way through Mound-Makers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anal Surgery posted:

I agree with the posters who say this feels like a fitting conclusion to the Dark Souls saga. I don't really know how you would escalate from here anyway, so I sort of agree that I don't need a Dark Souls 4.

If From continues to do fantasy hack-em-ups, I'd love to see them begin a new IP that starts out a little smaller in scope. I mean, I love saving the world (or not) from eternal darkness and/or lovecraftian moon demons as much as the next guy, but you can only save the universe so many times. I'd love to see From's take on something simple, like a one-kingdom battle between three siblings for the crown when their father the King dies, or a quest for the magic water of whateverthefuck to cure the pope's daughter, or hell, even just a descent into Hell to rescue a single lost soul. Maybe reports of a keep in the outskirts of the kingdom falling to vampires needs investigating, maybe there's a ghost in the lake who is loud and anti-semitic, i don't know!

If they do more action RPGs with Souls DNA, I want more things in the Bloodborne vein. Not specifically its mix of gothic and cosmic horror, just games in wildly different settings from the Souls games with mechanics changes to match. Bloodborne was really refreshing and I love it a whole lot.

Oxxidation posted:

I really liked that (if you get the DLC) the most relentlessly grim, hateful, and apocalyptic game in FROM's repertoire ends on its most bittersweet note.

A bottomless curse. A bottomless sea.
Accepting of all that there is, and can be.

For as grim as Bloodborne is, it's the only one in which a couple of the endings are vaguely hopeful--one for the player character (you escaped!) and one for the rest of the world (you may have sacrificed your humanity but you probably ended the cycle of the Hunt!). You also get to do some good things, albeit things more in the "mercy kill" side of "good." The moment you're quoting is one of them.

Bloodborne goes from horror to tragedy pretty quickly towards the end, if you're paying attention to the lore. So much pain and suffering for two species caused by one species' greed and then a continuing lack of ability to understand each other.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you attack me while I emote I will visit upon you an unholy vengeance and then crystal out. :shakefist:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, screw staying under 30% equip load. I started an Assassin and just pumped Vitality, and even at 20 VIT I can't wear the (light) starting armor + Estoc while staying under 30. And that's not consdering a shield or a bow. I'm just gonna start this character over from scratch :downs:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

On this topic, can we agree that the chain-axe enemies there are the most BS enemies in the game? The whole game has some issues with enemies attacking through stuff while your attacks bounce off of everything, but those guys were the worst. I had one axe-snipe me straight through a wall while I was going for a sip. Also in general I hate the way that the game will drop your lock on if a monster so much as dips behind a corner, but they keep right on attacking you through geometry. :argh:

they're easier than the little ones with daggers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wow, screw staying under 30% equip load. I started an Assassin and just pumped Vitality, and even at 20 VIT I can't wear the (light) starting armor + Estoc while staying under 30. And that's not consdering a shield or a bow. I'm just gonna start this character over from scratch :downs:

I might not be paying enough attention but I just don't see enough of a difference in the roll to warrant staying under 30%. There is a difference but I've never felt handicapped by my somewhat shorter roll distance staying between 50-65% the whole playthrough. The difference is there, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me when there's so much utility to be had in alternate weapons and so much fashion to be had in mid-weight armors. Maybe if I was speedrunning or trying to do a no-hit run?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I have 10 from being deprived and pumped HP and wear workers/masters and for some reason it seems to work ok.

e: I am level 20 :downs:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a cop posted:

yes, i looted one late in the game (from an optional area if i remember right) and i didn't do poo poo with him (and you loot it off a dead pilgrim).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Invading in this game is so loving terrible if the host decides to do any of the 30 things he can do to make it no fun

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Invading in this game is so loving terrible if the host decides to do any of the 30 things he can do to make it no fun

Agreed. The only worthwhile invasions are SOME purple invasions.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

PSA: the easiest way to level up sunbros, mound makers or even regular invaders, just invade in the Aldrich area. People get nonstop invaded by Aldrich and you have a fair chance of winning. You can even be a baby and wait for 1 or 2 Aldrich faithful to show up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a closer bonfire to Two Pricks or is the "shortcut" really either a minute jog through enemies or a minute elevator ride?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I might not be paying enough attention but I just don't see enough of a difference in the roll to warrant staying under 30%. There is a difference but I've never felt handicapped by my somewhat shorter roll distance staying between 50-65% the whole playthrough. The difference is there, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me when there's so much utility to be had in alternate weapons and so much fashion to be had in mid-weight armors. Maybe if I was speedrunning or trying to do a no-hit run?

You basically just roll a bit farther, it's completely useless and my first character stayed at around 69% and did just fine :negative: I don't understand why people keep advocating that you really should try for sub-30.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a closer bonfire to Two Pricks or is the "shortcut" really either a minute jog through enemies or a minute elevator ride?

Nope, you might as well put on some elevator music because you'll be spending a lot of time in that dumb elevator.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Nanomashoes posted:

Or the invader can do one of 30 things and make it 'no fun' as well. :downs:

I'm by myself you lovely phantom, just come fight me, seriously. Stop running into the mobs just because you're losing and fight me like the honorobru washing pole shithead you are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

The way I've been playing it, invading exists just to let you be an amusing dick. The best actual invasions are gimmicky ones that just gently caress with the host and their phantoms as much as possible. Fling poison at 'em, run behind enemies, try to lure them into traps, etc. It's rare for an actual invasion to lead to a good one-on-one fight (though I've been the host for a couple and I enjoy them a lot).

Your Computer posted:

You basically just roll a bit farther, it's completely useless and my first character stayed at around 69% and did just fine :negative: I don't understand why people keep advocating that you really should try for sub-30.

DS1 experience, probably. They hear that there's a low and high breakpoint and assume that being under the low breakpoint is much better, like DS1's fast vs. midrolls. But it isn't. It's better, but not nearly enough to make it worth pumping Vit or sacrificing armor slots for, especially given the huge defense penalty you take for having any armor slot empty.

Even DS2's equip load was more noticeable. I actually find the short roll distance at 60%+ in DS2 to be intolerable, but in DS3 it's totally comfortable.

That said, DS3 does make it harder to wear heavy weapons and armor and stay under 70% than DS2 did. The effects of equip load under 70% in DS2 were more noticeable, but it was also easier to just ignore Vitality and stay under 70% anyway. In DS3, if you want to wield a weapon heavier than a Longsword and wear mid-weight armor, you're probably leveling Vitality at least a little.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The thing that makes no sense to me is that these people aren't getting anything by setting up 3 man gank squads and demanding honorabu 2v1 duels. It's just dickwaving, but the dickwaving makes no sense because it takes no skill to win at a numbers and hp advantage.