Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The long arm of the law.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Random Stranger posted:

And yet I just had teacher the other day go on for about ten minutes about how accurate Freud is. He teaches an arts course, and his talk wasn't couched in "this is all bullshit but it was incredibly influential on artists". I think I got eyestrain from :rolleyes:-ing so hard.

First results when searching for "funny picture" in google and bing:

Google:

Bing:

I think from this we can conclude that internet search engines have no sense of humor.

I have a book on horror film on my shelf from a guy who's a hardcore Freud follower. It's the most batshit generalized crap I've ever read. Did you know that because Freud once treated a man who had werewolf anxieties after a childhood trauma of having a wolf outside his window that everyone who finds werewolves scary had the same trauma? Or that vampires are reverse-castration anxiety from when we're in the womb?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My issue with the Freud poo poo is taht he takes the Oedipus story, and makes it all about loving your mum.

True, Oedipus does end up loving his mum in the story, but it's not about that. It's about the inevitability of destiny, and how you can't fight your fate, in fact teh very steps you take to avoid your destiny are the ones that lead you further along it's path.

Also, the killing of his dad and the loving of his mum are portrayed as VERY VERY bad things. Things so bad that they cause a plague on the kingdom, and once Oedipus realizes what he has done, he stabs himself in the eyes.

Also I have issue with the fact that Freud thinks that baby boys think baby girls are just boys whose penises havent grown yet and adult women are men whose penises were chopped off at some point, and that baby girls think the same. Basically ignoring any sort of female thought and agency, and putting it all through the prism of the penis.

Anyway, heres a picture of Sylvester Stallone making a funny face.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

My issue with the Freud poo poo is taht he takes the Oedipus story, and makes it all about loving your mum.

True, Oedipus does end up loving his mum in the story, but it's not about that. It's about the inevitability of destiny, and how you can't fight your fate, in fact teh very steps you take to avoid your destiny are the ones that lead you further along it's path.

Also, the killing of his dad and the loving of his mum are portrayed as VERY VERY bad things. Things so bad that they cause a plague on the kingdom, and once Oedipus realizes what he has done, he stabs himself in the eyes.

Also I have issue with the fact that Freud thinks that baby boys think baby girls are just boys whose penises havent grown yet and adult women are men whose penises were chopped off at some point, and that baby girls think the same. Basically ignoring any sort of female thought and agency, and putting it all through the prism of the penis.

Anyway, heres a picture of Sylvester Stallone making a funny face.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

This isn't the meme thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some of the things Jung said about archetypes are pretty valuable in studying literature.

Hang on, do you or don't you think facts are useless?

Worst Guns'n'Roses cover ever.

picture and caption shamelessly stolen

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Rolo posted:

I had this exact same debate with someone at work last week. Every other response was just "holy poo poo you're actually serious."

Go on- how did that turn out?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Memento posted:

It was Welcome to the Jungle. 1/5.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was Welcome to the Jungle. 1/5.

Sing that sign out.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
In the garden
Welcome to the garden
Watch it bring you to your
knees, knees
I wanna watch you weed!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

Only in emergencies.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ow, Menards!

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Trastion posted:

Is the alternative any better?

"My dad did come and his name is Prince"

I'd prefer "My name is Prince and I am funky"

edit: wow forgot to refresh the app so here's a blast from like four pages ago, you're welcome

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I went to a cat show.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I went to a cat show.

*blink*

...I know I'm going to regret this, but :frogon:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I went to a cat show.

That's not how you bond with your pet!

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Choco1980 posted:

*blink*

...I know I'm going to regret this, but :frogon:

That's pretty much it. It was a normal cat show with show cats and judges and people selling cat stuff, that vendor just had an, uh, interesting sign.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

This is that kid today. Feel old yet?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Just Offscreen posted:

Go on- how did that turn out?

The usual way. "I'm only voting for trump because this political correctness has gone too far."

He also once defended child labor in third world countries because if you boycott corporations that exploit underage workers, you're just putting the kids out of a job.

Is there still a "poo poo my coworkers say" thread? I have a ton of these stories.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Apr 18, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Paladinus posted:

That's not how you bond with your pet!

But it's how you bondage with them.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rolo posted:

The usual way. "I'm only voting for trump because this political correctness has gone too far."

He also once defended child labor in third world countries because if you boycott corporations that exploit underage workers, you're just putting the kids out of a job.

Is there still a "poo poo my coworkers say" thread? I have a ton of these stories.

I'm only voting for him because he's the best candidate we've had for decades.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SubjectVerbObject posted:

In the garden
Welcome to the garden
Watch it bring you to your
knees, knees
I wanna watch you weed!

Welp. Now that's gonna be in my head any time I do yard work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm only voting for him because he's the best candidate we've had for decades.

for me to poop on

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zoux posted:

This is that kid today. Feel old yet?

The sad part of this is that he wanted to be a baseball player. If only he had been born with a giant left hand he would have been a star relief pitcher instead of playing one of the only sports in the world a gargantuan arm is useless.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IDGI

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

thatsapenis.jpg

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

:flaccid:, :dong:

E:f,b (sorta)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Memento posted:

You know you're an old metal head when you think it's this song instead of "Welcome to the Jungle."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgM2VrSjWQ

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Android Bicyclist posted:

You know you're an old metal head when you think it's this song instead of "Welcome to the Jungle."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgM2VrSjWQ

:hfive:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yo Dawg, I heard you like toilets so

More: http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Home decor these days is so bland and samey. Bring back color!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hey, I think I've finally got one of those Magic Eye pictures to work.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I, too, brand my knife set as "break-up country".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Angela Christine posted:

Yo Dawg, I heard you like toilets so

What, you've never had a quick tinkle on the ivories?

That said, I suspect this, amd maybe the one above, are Rich Person Bathrooms. When you're so rich your bathroom is bigger bigger than a poor person living room, why not put a piano in there? You can put doodads on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

• Locked thread