Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
This manga needs to start going somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

Why?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Get a load of this rube who is tired of embarrassed Kirie.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I thought them thinking of how to deal with the MOTB without killing Negi was them moving things along.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I dunno, I kind of feel the same way. I never felt like Negima was moving too slow, but UQ Holder's constant teases annoy me. Maybe it's because we already have a defined goal with a time limit instead of a nebulous "find my father" thing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's going to Kirie land

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's going to Kirie land

Given she's easily the Superking of this venture I have no issue with this.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I don't remember Akamatsu pushing Naru this hard, and she was the winner of her respective harem. That said, I fully support more chapters with Kirie.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I don't remember Akamatsu pushing Naru this hard

You remember wrong

I still owe that man a punch in the balls for those Motoko chapters

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rodyle posted:

You remember wrong

I still owe that man a punch in the balls for those Motoko chapters

Oh god don't remind me.

The worst part is Akamatsu's expressed he'd rather have Motoko win now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Oh god don't remind me.

The worst part is Akamatsu's expressed he'd rather have Motoko win now.

I heard that he had plans along those lines, but decided against it since he felt the story would take too long to get there.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Some of those Motoko chapters were what set up Setsuna's and now Kuromaru's fighting style, right?

Shinobu was always my favorite in Love Hina though, and part of the reason I liked Nodoka so much in Negima.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ah those heady days of reading LH tanks in the library and wishing dearly that I could tear them in half

"look, I'm a lion!" :downs:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rodyle posted:

Ah those heady days of reading LH tanks in the library and wishing dearly that I could tear them in half

"look, I'm a lion!" :downs:

I don't remember being so pissed off at Love Hina, but then again, it was like 15 years ago when I first read it because it caught my eye at a now closed Barnes and Noble in Upper Manhattan when I was waiting for a cousin in high school or something like that. I think I've blocked most of the objectionable details and stuff out of my mind.

I think I still own the last couple of volumes somewhere underneath my book table in poor condition though. Think they were the first manga volumes I ever bought.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GhostStalker posted:

Some of those Motoko chapters were what set up Setsuna's and now Kuromaru's fighting style, right?

Shinobu was always my favorite in Love Hina though, and part of the reason I liked Nodoka so much in Negima.

They're all from the same sword-style school.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm shinobu and my feelings are always swirling around

I hate Shinobu

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Allarion posted:

They're all from the same sword-style school.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Shinmei-ryu.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Kirie moe fans are just as bad as people who liked early pre-Kyoto Negima; they just haven't had the pedophile veil thrown on them yet because Kirie is a meme character. UQ holder going in boring directions.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yeah I'm not a fan of how this manga is sidelining the action and plot in the name of fanservice and moe. UQ Holder started as something relatively light on moe and fanservice stuff and should stay that way imo

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Personally, I enjoy both Akamatsu's plots and his comedy. It's certainly less offensive than early Negima; there aren't naked middle schoolers in every chapter. Only some of them!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

pinegala posted:

UQ holder going in boring directions.

Ehhhh who cares about the fights, those were always the worst parts of Negima. Character arcs is where it's at and we're definitely getting those among the tomfoolery so I'm very satisfied.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Ehhhh who cares about the fights, those were always the worst parts of Negima. Character arcs is where it's at and we're definitely getting those among the tomfoolery so I'm very satisfied.

The fights in Negima we're really good, though.

I have to admit I'm also kind of not liking the direction it's been going of late.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean Negima started as a harem comedy then revealed itself to actually be an action series, it's only fitting that UQ would start as an action series then turn out to be a harem comedy.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I do hope that we get to the fights soon, but I'm also enjoying the hijinx. Glad to see Akamatsu hasn't lost his touch! :yayclod:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I read through all existing chapters recently and it definitely focused far more on the overarching plot and action up until roughly after training with the fat witch. The shift has been really jarring and almost makes me wonder if there was some sort of editorial decision to make the manga more of a comedy/harem thing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I prefer the fights, but watching flustered Kirie is adorable and hilarious so I definitely won't complain about getting more of that.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Flustered Kirie was fun for like two or three chapters. After this long it's really on the verge of becoming annoying and drawn out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fights are neat and can be visual spectacles, but, especially in comic form, they often become boring and are effectively filler. What ends up usually mattering in a fight is who wins. Non-fight stuff is more entertaining. Character development, character conflict, plot advancement, etc.

And we're developing Kirie. We developed Kuroumaru not too long ago, and we've started Karin. I'm all for it.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I don't mind either. Negima proved he can do both sides fairly well. I always loved reading the major battles, but the silly character and harem poo poo could be funny as well.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Fights are neat and can be visual spectacles, but, especially in comic form, they often become boring and are effectively filler. What ends up usually mattering in a fight is who wins. Non-fight stuff is more entertaining. Character development, character conflict, plot advancement, etc.

And we're developing Kirie. We developed Kuroumaru not too long ago, and we've started Karin. I'm all for it.

The opposite of character development is happening. A moeblob is not a character. Kuromaru's development was interesting because s/h/ze avoided it. Karin's development suffers for it. Yue suffered from it too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pinegala posted:

The opposite of character development is happening. A moeblob is not a character. Kuromaru's development was interesting because s/h/ze avoided it. Karin's development suffers for it. Yue suffered from it too.

Yue having an entire major plot arc that totally separated her from the rest of the cast was the best thing that happened to her and thankfully undid a lot of the lame parts of her character. Switching everyone to being focused on Touta definitely weakens them, because Touta is honestly a pretty poor character. I was annoyed when now suddenly Karin is in love with him for no reason.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter out.

Racing shenanigans.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

the best dumbest chapter :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh no, poor kirie. there is no escape from the ultimate gigolo bloodline.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

What flavor will the fourth Tota be? BBQ? Teriyaki?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As always, Kirie is cool and adorable.

But the best part of this chapter is Touta. Holy poo poo that brofist, and the surfing.

Official BGM for this mini arc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

What flavor will the fourth Tota be? BBQ? Teriyaki?

Kind of don't care about the rest of the chapter but the shirt thing is great

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Salty's my favorite Touta. I want a salty shirt now.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > UQ Holder: Sucks to be you, huh, Kirië?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK Akamatsu I think you need to tone down the cheesecake just a tad, now. We've practically looped back to early Negima.

Touta's fist bumping himself was pretty good tho.

• Locked thread