Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Secret design meeting notes for Dark Souls 3:

"People are really obsessing about that elevator online. We better make elevators a key feature in the next game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
still closed...still closed...mm...

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone please tell me how to cheat out this Icey wonderland because these frost knights are some of the most infuriating things in the entire series to the point I'm actually getting upset at video games.

Use ember, revive to human, bring spirit buddies.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can lure them one or two at a time back to where you came in and clear em out pretty easily.

Yeah, I just never bother because you can get all the loot in the room without fighting them and I'm too lazy to sit back and lure them / I also keep forgetting to buy more arrows.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Cathedral of Deep onion help

I have been playing blind managed to find the Cathedral of deep and have previously helped Sir Onion, I THOUGHT we were buddys but after cheesing both the giants he tried and failed to screw me over by lowering a platform just before calling me a Greedy oval office!.

What the flying gently caress Sir Onion I thought we were bros now we are mortal enemys, have I screwed a quest line? and if I have will I have the chance to kill him at some point wouldnt mind his armor.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
Not sure if it's the new patch or my Internet being unruly today, but online latency seems really bad. Bosses are just teleporting.

Doctobear
Apr 18, 2016

Gologle posted:

Is it just me, or does Deprived actually look like the best class to start out with? They start at the lowest level out of all the starting classes, so more room to fit stats in, and their stats are all balanced. Yeah, it sucks to start out naked, but come on, fashion souls has to start somewhere, why don't you pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and make something of yourself in this new, competitive world of looking the best? Plus the club apparently kicks rear end.

As an aside, I find myself sort of hoping that one of the DLCs has us traveling to some of DS2's locations, since the base game has so much heavy DS1 stuff.

EDIT: Also that K***ht censor is beautiful, and I can't believe I didn't notice it before.

I might try that . I started out as a warrior because it seemed solid but im getting kind of tired of the old school sword and shield

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

all these hollowing rumors about how you cant co-op or can't pick up dropped souls sound like things dumb and bad players with lovely connections came up with

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

VoLaTiLe posted:

I have been playing blind managed to find the Cathedral of deep and have previously helped Sir Onion, I THOUGHT we were buddys but after cheesing both the giants he tried and failed to screw me over by lowering a platform just before calling me a Greedy oval office!.

What the flying gently caress Sir Onion I thought we were bros now we are mortal enemys, have I screwed a quest line? and if I have will I have the chance to kill him at some point wouldnt mind his armor.

He might not be who he seems

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VoLaTiLe posted:

That doesn't sound very Trustworthy of him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This is the worst "shortcut" I can think of in a Souls game, good lord.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShadowMar posted:

all these hollowing rumors about how you cant co-op or can't pick up dropped souls sound like things dumb and bad players with lovely connections came up with

I've noticed my bloodstain missing quite a few times, both before and after taking that pact, so there's some sort of bug there.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I guess the way to victory with Flynn's Ring is take off all your armor, equip a fast weapon, and R1 nonstop? Considering it only lets you equip 30 units I'm pushing with just a sword, rings, bow, and pyro flame

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RBA Starblade posted:

I've noticed my bloodstain missing quite a few times, both before and after taking that pact, so there's some sort of bug there.

i also had my bloodstain missing once but it was on my first character who never got any dark sigils

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the worst "shortcut" I can think of in a Souls game, good lord.

it's two elevator rides, boring but not the worst.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

flynns is actually not 30 units, the bonus gets smaller and smaller depending on how much you carry starting at a very low amount. also it's a % based boost I believe and doesn't add much damage to faster weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

Perhaps that is not the true onion bro, but instead someone very Trustworthy who is wearing his armor.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

e:wrong thing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Decided to call a bluecop to help me deal with an invader in irithyll dungeon because it was 3 in the morning and I wanted to go to bed. I ended up regretting it when he lead us on an hour long chase through the entire zone. I'd get him low when he would actually engage us in a fight with a few brand guys but he would always run away and flask up. Eventually he stopped fighting altogether and was always at the end of a hallway watching us clear a those brand fuckers. He didn't even get involved in the big fight with 6-7 of them at the end of the zone.

When we got to the profaned capital I was weary and annoyed and decided just to make a mad dash for whatever fog gate I could find so I could end it and I ended up getting killed by one of those big freaky easy to kill water bugs. I'm not even mad that he made me waste my time, I'm just pissed he forced me to go through a zone with co-op instead of enjoying it alone. I'm sure he was calling me a pussy on the other end the whole time :jerkbag:

Blue sentinels and Darkmoons are some of the worst players I've encountered and I'm always glad to see their invasions because it usually means free double tongue or shackle. Basically confirms my opinions of the sort of people who would join a covenant that guarantees a numbers advantage.

Warriors of sunlight are absolute pricks who will do absolutely anything for victory, including waiting with the host and staring you down for 20+ minutes (I've legitimately waited this long, gently caress those people) and who will betray you for no reason as black phantoms.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

Latest word on this is that it doesn't do that and the people who reported it might've been experiencing the weapon upgrade levels constricting their summoning ranges, or just experiencing the usual "I don't see summon signs what's wrong" issues and attributing it to hollowing.

I was playing with two friends with a password, and the summoning friend had five of the sigils. He would summon one of us and the other's sign would disappear, then he would dried finger and the other sign showed back up immediately. With or without hollowing.

edit: Also everyone should Dried Fingers in Road of Sacrifices. It is a good time for everyone involved.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 18, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TGLT posted:

I was playing with two friends with a password, and the summoning friend had five of the sigils. He would summon one of us and the other's sign would disappear, then he would dried finger and the other sign showed back up immediately. With or without hollowing.

some areas only let you summon 1 phantom (+1 with finger, as usual)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

some areas only let you summon 1 phantom (+1 with finger, as usual)

Oh poo poo, really? Guessing that's anywhere where there's an area defender covenant then.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

what the gently caress are you supposed to do against massive stamina R1 rapier spammers in pvp

Roll away from them until they try to swing at you with low stamina so you can break their defence with the one hit you get before they stun lock you, or parry them, if you're willing to risk it. It sucks either way.

TGLT posted:

It also clamps down on your ability to summon people. Get five free levels and the number of people you can summon gets reduced by one. I think that also happens at 99 hollowing maybe?

Only in that your level is higher than those who might also be in your area, which can limit who you can summon. It most certainly does not effect the max number of summons though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I need a second pyro hand. One of the left to buff my sword and one on the right to throw fire at people while I'm using a shield.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Does this game not boot invaders if you get to the boss fog? I seem to recall it worked that way in DS2, but I haven't had a reason to test it in this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does this game not boot invaders if you get to the boss fog? I seem to recall it worked that way in DS2, but I haven't had a reason to test it in this one.

Its supposed too but I've had it glitch out and keep me in the game while the host fights the boss.

Nothing you can do but spam carvings and the HEY emote to annoy them.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BobTheJanitor posted:

I think it does. I've run to the door and locked out invaders.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BobTheJanitor posted:

It does, but sometimes it bugs out and doessn't. Sometimes you can invade someone already fighting the boss too!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

It does boot them, yep.

e: there are a few bosses where the host can stand inside the boss arena and not trigger the fight, but for you there is a fog wall. After having fought off two waves of summons for one dude, he ran inside the tree boss area and spent the next 10 minutes plinking at me with arrows while I sat behind a wall because it was either gonna be him fighting the boss or me.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 18, 2016

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I had one where I wasn't kicked out when they went in so I just stood outside of the fog and when they died to the boss it gave me the win.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Have you played the other Souls games and if so, think about what you just witnessed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

Lmao this is the reaction I was hoping someone would have

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does poise actually do anything at all? I can't tell if it's effectively useless, or if there is just some really high breakpoint you need to hit before even small weapons knock you out of attacks.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Goddammit it's way too easy to screw up major plotlines in this game. I blew 4 different ones so far simply because I didn't talk to someone the first time I ran into them at a new location. Why don't they just goddamn wait until you talk to them is a mystery to me, I left them to make sure I wasn't screwing up the order on others and ended up scotching them all.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does poise actually do anything at all? I can't tell if it's effectively useless, or if there is just some really high breakpoint you need to hit before even small weapons knock you out of attacks.

it's useless for everyone except for NPCs that can randomly decide to poise through your stunlocks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Nameless King is a giant bitch. First time I've had trouble all game and first time I've raged at all. It's like DS2 all over again with the spinning around and attacks hitting you from nearly every angle.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any reason not to murder all the Hotconnection Hubworld NPC's besides Andre, Maiden, and the fire keeper? Seems like the handmaiden gets all the items the npcs sell if you kill them

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

So I guess the way to victory with Flynn's Ring is take off all your armor, equip a fast weapon, and R1 nonstop? Considering it only lets you equip 30 units I'm pushing with just a sword, rings, bow, and pyro flame

No.

Supposedly it is a % damage increase, so it won't benefit faster weapons any more. It is also less of an increase than a target with medium-ish armor is going to mitigate through absorption alone.

Meanwhile, you lose the subtractive 'def' bonus component of equipping armor, meaning the ends result is literally you giving your opponent a greater damage bonus than you give yourself.

As is, it is only useful in some sort of incredibly min/maxed one-hit wonder glass cannon build. For example, maybe using that ring that increases damage at full health, literally ALL stats invested in damage attributes, boosting whatever weapon will (after weight penalties) give you the highest potential AR including buffs, and then just play like you're reenacting the intro the Ninja Gaiden.

What weapon or stat distribution? I have no clue, but I can't see any other purpose for the ring outside of effectively forcing your PvP encounters into a 1-hit/combo victory condition. If it isn't possible to get 90% of your encounters end with you killing the opponent in 1 or 2 hits then it's probably a complete waste of a ring slot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

It's like DS2 all over again with the spinning around and attacks hitting you from nearly every angle.

dancer and pontiff both have those. strangely enough the two bosses i hated most by quite a margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What are the effects of being frostbitten? Is there some kind of bug associated with it? Got stuck upstairs where the black knight archer is at Irithyll after rolling through some vases and couldn't escape, had to teleport back to bonfire. Little later was frostbitten again in a different area, didn't get stuck but there was some magical section of a flight of stairs I couldn't walk through.