Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Germans are boring, annoying and uninteresting. See: Nico Rosberg.

Edit: it says alot that they needed two Austrians to get the German team winning.

Germans usually needs a strong Austrian to inspire them to victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

JFairfax posted:

Germans usually needs a strong Austrian to inspire them to victory

I find they're particularly good at getting the Germans to find strength through joy, which is why you'll find Lauda joking around in the pit lane.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/multimedia/audio-podcasts/

Listen to the Ross Brawn & Nick Fry EP - great stuff.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Germans are boring, annoying and uninteresting. See: Nico Rosberg.

Counterpoint: Hitler.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Can any nerd identify this car, its a ralt that Johnathan Palmer drove.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think its the RH6, the works Honda F2 car. More or less a worked over RT2 unless I'm mistaken.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Kilmers Elbow posted:

poo poo just got real weird with that guy though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Austrian.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
no the real hitler

hes german

and drives for ferrari

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dubs posted:

no the real hitler

hes german

and drives for ferrari

Kimi is pretty bad, but I wouldn't say he's Hitler bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This conversion got bad and strange.

Lewis is being a cock again. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i-don-t-owe-anything-to-f1-says-hamilton-688604/

edit:
aaand he's now the most hated man in formula 1 http://www.crash.net/f1/news/229574/1/hamilton-i-promote-f1-more-than-any-driver-ever-has.html

Lewis: "I actually probably promote the sport more than any other driver ever has,”

Pissed off journalist who has a point "...claiming he does more for the sport than all the other drivers on the grid combined as well as more than icons like Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher."

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 19, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was talking about Ralts.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Lewis is being a cock again. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i-don-t-owe-anything-to-f1-says-hamilton-688604/

edit:
aaand he's now the most hated man in formula 1 http://www.crash.net/f1/news/229574/1/hamilton-i-promote-f1-more-than-any-driver-ever-has.html

Lewis: "I actually probably promote the sport more than any other driver ever has,”

Pissed off journalist who has a point "...claiming he does more for the sport than all the other drivers on the grid combined as well as more than icons like Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher."

This sport truly is good and cool

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Meh...they all look the same over there.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

learnincurve posted:

edit:

He uses Twitter more than Senna, to be fair.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Honestly Schumacher really hasn't been pulling his weight lately.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Honestly Schumacher really hasn't been pulling his weight lately.

He's really been silent on the whole F1 thing.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's lights out in the Schumacher camp.

I agree though, Lewis does a hell of a lot to reinforce that he's a gigantic prick of a baby. Petulance is rife with that fuckwad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i don't think lewis is actually wrong. he is almost certainly in the public eye more than any driver before him.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

i don't think lewis is actually wrong. he is almost certainly in the public eye more than any driver before him.

Not by a long shot even on this tiny lovely little Island. In my youth Hill and Mansell were household names and loving everywhere on mainstream TV, it's only been since the year 2000 that Satellite/Cable became a thing and for most of TV history we only had 2-4 channels and they used to be switched off for the night, and sometimes not switched on again till 12pm well into the late 90s. F1 had ludicrous viewing figures mostly because there was nothing else on TV.

Hunt, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Hill, Schumacher, Stirling moss, Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Niki Lauder, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen were all bigger stars in their day here than Lewis is now. The man couldn't even win sports personality of the year after winning the 2015 championship and got less votes than a sexist racist chav boxer, when Hill and Mansell both won it twice with ease. This is without even getting in to how much Non-English drivers did for the sport in their own countries. For example Senna, Nelson Piquet and Emerson Fittipaldi for Brazil, and when Fernando Alonso started F1 wasn't even shown on Spanish TV until he started winning stuff.

Then you get into the doing more for the sport thing, What about Bruce Mclaren? Bernie started out as a driver and I doubt Lewis has done more to promote the sport than the literal promoter.

I may have read the comments sections on those articles.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think its the RH6, the works Honda F2 car. More or less a worked over RT2 unless I'm mistaken.

Cool, after a bit more searching it appears that its a RH6/83 looking at the nose and rear wing design 😌

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

People at work still ask me about Vettle if sports chat comes up, and look confused if I tell them about InstaramHam.

People here also give no shits about motorsport.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Not by a long shot even on this tiny lovely little Island. In my youth Hill and Mansell were household names and loving everywhere on mainstream TV, it's only been since the year 2000 that Satellite/Cable became a thing and for most of TV history we only had 2-4 channels and they used to be switched off for the night, and sometimes not switched on again till 12pm well into the late 90s. F1 had ludicrous viewing figures mostly because there was nothing else on TV.

Hunt, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Hill, Schumacher, Stirling moss, Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Niki Lauder, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen were all bigger stars in their day here than Lewis is now. The man couldn't even win sports personality of the year after winning the 2015 championship and got less votes than a sexist racist chav boxer, when Hill and Mansell both won it twice with ease. This is without even getting in to how much Non-English drivers did for the sport in their own countries. For example Senna, Nelson Piquet and Emerson Fittipaldi for Brazil, and when Fernando Alonso started F1 wasn't even shown on Spanish TV until he started winning stuff.

Then you get into the doing more for the sport thing, What about Bruce Mclaren? Bernie started out as a driver and I doubt Lewis has done more to promote the sport than the literal promoter.

I may have read the comments sections on those articles.

i don't think hill being on TV a lot is at all what lewis is talking about. hamilton is a fixture in culture that has absolutely nothing to do with F1.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There's a difference between promoting a sport and promoting yourself on instagram.

A massive loving difference in fact.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Just wait until Are Lewis drops his album.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I realy just want to post who loving gives a poo poo what he does, but obviously everyone here does because?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

track day bro! posted:

I realy just want to post who loving gives a poo poo what he does, but obviously everyone here does because?

Because it's an interesting part of a sport I enjoy.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I like laughing at the silly things Lewis does

he's entertaining that's for sure

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He's entertainment value. I mean he's dumb as all hell and there's no way you'd have a drink with him in a pub but his funny watching him parade himself in front of the media like he's a real cool cat, and its quite enjoyable watching him losing to Fraudsberg because he's burnt out making some stupid album.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

be nice wicka posted:

He's certainly not wrong about the rules thing being far out of his control, that's for sure.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Lewis is fine. I just feel like minihitler Nico deserves a WDC, he's been trying so hard.

But on another topic, I've heard that Kimi is huge in China. Why the hell would this be?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He's so popular that he lost driver of the day to Grosjean x2 and Kvyat.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Lewis is fine. I just feel like minihitler Nico deserves a WDC, he's been trying so hard.

But on another topic, I've heard that Kimi is huge in China. Why the hell would this be?

Well he was having a poo poo and Chinese tourists love to deffocate in public.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

He's so popular that he lost driver of the day to Grosjean x2 and Kvyat.

lewis? he didn't say he was the most popular driver in the sport, he says he works harder than anyone else to promote it. he said "I'm in more events talking about Formula 1 more than any other driver" which is probably true considering no one stops bitching about him being at fashion shows.

i mean, it's probably not having a real effect, and he's being a bit disingenuous by describing any of this as "work," but still

Diet Crack posted:

There's a difference between promoting a sport and promoting yourself on instagram.

A massive loving difference in fact.

yeah it's very silly that he thinks just being lewis hamilton, an F1 driver, and doing a lot of things that involve him getting his picture taken = positive promotion for F1

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Hunt, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Hill, Schumacher, Stirling moss, Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Niki Lauder, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen were all bigger stars in their day

I lived in the UK when Coultard and Hakkinen were racing (and Hamiltons first WDC) and the above statement does not match my experience.
Ask most people in the UK who John Surtees is and they'l go 'John who?".

I detest Hamilton, but I also acknowledge that he has done a lot to promote F1. Having said that, he owes *everything* to F1...otherwise he'd still be sleeping on that couch in Stevenage.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

a) He's probably done loads of cigarette commercials that have yet to seep into the West.

b) They can't pronounce Lewis.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Senna was so popular that they used to have to helicopter drivers and pit crews from hotels to the track in some countries because of the sheer numbers of fans that used to gather outside hoping to get a look at him as he came in. I'm not seeing Lewis' self promotion on instagram spawn this level of support. As someone else said, 12 year old girls don't buy sky sports subscriptions or race tickets.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My general impression of seeing Lewis on British TV is people kinda like him, but are mostly indifferent. On the rare occasion Schumacher turned up people would lose their poo poo.

You also couldn't go anywhere when I was a child without seeing something about Mansell somewhere, but the sport was pretty massive in the UK at the time so it's not a truly fair comparison. I think Lewis is about 20% as famous as he thinks he is.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm seeing more and more black fans at COTA each year, and magnitudes more than at the Indy USGPs back in the day. I'm not saying they're all Lewis fans, or that all of them are there only because of Lewis, but I think Lewis is definitely having a positive effect in drawing more fans into F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Senna was so popular that they used to have to helicopter drivers and pit crews from hotels to the track in some countries because of the sheer numbers of fans that used to gather outside hoping to get a look at him as he came in. I'm not seeing Lewis' self promotion on instagram spawn this level of support. As someone else said, 12 year old girls don't buy sky sports subscriptions or race tickets.

but again, this has nothing to do with what he's saying

• Locked thread