Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Charles Martel posted:

I still have my 80GB Zune you used to be able to order right from Microsoft with a quote and design etched into the back of it. It's been my workout buddy for 8 years running and I would be devastated if anything happened to it. I've tried to listen to songs off of my old iPhone 4, but the sound quality in the Zune is superior.

My rents got me a 16GB Zune from the US (I'm in the UK) back in 2007. Sound quality was incredible compared to my iPod classic and nano. I'm really sorry it never took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's been several years since I used the desktop software, so I could just be wrong about it, though I definitely hated the design ethos for WP 7/8 apps in general with their stupid giant-rear end tabs and jumped on 10 as fast as I could, so I was never a big fan of using Zune on my old 610 (or Xbox Music on my 640 before the upgrade). And I've never really used a music subscription service, so hey, guess I'm not a good example of a typical user!

I've never used the Zune hardware, so in all honestly I kind of forgot they even existed.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Windows Phone - still talking about a failed mp3 player from the mid/late 2000s

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

Windows Phone - still talking about a failed mp3 player from the mid/late 2000s

Windows Phone - I would be devastated if anything happened to my failed mp3 player from the mid/late 2000s

I'm laughing a bit imagining still using a classic clicky wheel iPod

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm laughing a bit imagining still using a classic clicky wheel iPod

I still have one of those at work. It sounds like death when it wakes up but it still plays music fine some ten years after I got it. And it was a refurb.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've never used the Zune hardware, so in all honestly I kind of forgot they even existed.

It's easily the best mp3 player I've ever used and is the quintessential "awesome hardware, poo poo execution" example that Microsoft loves to keep repeating.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I bought my Lumia 650 to be a replacement for the Zune and while the service is almost identical and my storage concerns are solved it still sucks in comparison. Without buttons it's almost impossible to change songs without looking at the phone and unless I'm missing something there's no way to favorite songs.

Zune was the best :smith:.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The ZuneHD's HD Radio is kinda nice as well. You can hear when it swaps over to the HD channel and it is beautiful. That is another thing that didn't seem to catch on but luckily, still gets broadcast somewhat.

The ZHD is great for use at those Drive In Theaters with a good set of speakers to use instead of the car stereo too.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I think the Zune HD's use of Metro was probably the best iteration. It still looks pretty and futuristic.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

I think the Zune HD's use of Metro was probably the best iteration. It still looks pretty and futuristic.

It also had the 3D effect if you tilted it in your hand. It was pretty neat and way ahead of that Fire Phone amazon tried to do 3D with hah.

WP7 did have a much more cut down feel in its Zune Music player, but still worked, and well its gone farther and farther from Metro since then. :(

I freaking miss the screen saver effect that Zune played on the PC, ZuneHD, and Xbox when you were playing music. Album Art/Bio Pics, Overlay of Lyrics/Bio's and other clean animated text moving around the screen keeping it from having any sort of threat of Burn In which was fantastic (on my Plasma).

Now Xbox/Groove music just shows album art and static playtime with some transparent triangle crap. WTF why do you throw away design stuff like this for generic crap like they have now? The original Zune devs have to be crying a bit knowing the coded something so much better than what is being used now, and how it all just got what appears to be thrown away. :argh:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Shut up about the Zune already jeez.

So it looks like W10 and WP10 are getting closer to converging into overlapping interfaces - will there ever be a time when I do some kind of reverse-Continuum? I'd like to plug (or BT) my phone so that I can use the functions of my phone as a kind of app on the desktop - specifically receiving and sending txts, editing phots on the phone, control the music player, make calls through my PC mic and speakers.

I know Cortana sends txt mssgs but it's crappy and clunky, doesn't seem to do groups, mms, nor receive, and of course you can browse your phone storage when plugged in. But right now my phone is plugged into my laptop on a tiny cable and I'd like to send a txt without unplugging it to bring it closer. No I don't want a longer cable.

Or maybe I'm dumb and that's exactly what continuum does? I don't have a 950 or whatnot.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
That's not what Continuum does.

Supposedly, that's Coming Soon™ with the Anniversary Update, I think. There's already the Phone Companion app, and I believe that will be an extension of it.

Whether it will work, and work reliably :shrug:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There's already the Phone Companion app, and I believe that will be an extension of it.

Yeah I saw that in my start menu recently. I gave it permission, or whatever, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. It seems to import photos, which are already on Onedrive, tell me how much battery I have, and describe things I may want to do with my phone under a few dropdowns. "No setup needed" though!

Come on MS, what is this filler?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Does tmobile's visual voicemail work with 8.1?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

wormil posted:

Does tmobile's visual voicemail work with 8.1?

Did when I had my 925 on 8.1, yeah. I'm on the nerd plan.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This Insider update has killed my 640 - battery life is terrible with the phone running hot, it gets stuck on slow charging even with a wall charger and the Glance/brightness issue is making it really hard to use. I'm praying for another update.

On the plus side, my new cyan flip case looks pretty snazzy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My phone (Lumia 950) doesn't light up when it's charging/charged. Is that normal? Because it's weird that it doesn't.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Turns out I have mobile insurance, so I'll be getting s brand new 640 xl, a screen protector and a case for $60. And then my phone will be paid off in October and I can either wait for a surface phone or buy the HP elite.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Another new build, 14327!

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/20/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14327/

Sending texts from PC is in preview, and more languages for Cortana. Also fixed some of the annoying bugs from the last one, but Tweetium still probably won't launch correctly :mad:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tivac posted:

Did when I had my 925 on 8.1, yeah. I'm on the nerd plan.

Okay thanks, it finally started working. Just took several days.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This has fixed up my problems with Glance/brightness, real happy this got pushed out so quickly.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This has fixed up my problems with Glance/brightness, real happy this got pushed out so quickly.

Yeah, some nice fixes. Seems to have broken Waze for me though. :(

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

can anyone get messenging everywhere to work? I'm on most recent fast ring releases on my 950xl and surfacebook. On my pc, the messenging app still has a says "sync messages through" where it should apparently say "Send messages through". It also doesn't let me select anything. Everything on the phone end looks copacetic though.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/20/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14327/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So my 640 seems to be stuck on 10586, do I need to do something fancy to continue to get insider stuff?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You probably have to go back to insider and pick the fastest ring again

My 640 has the latest update. The keyboard was whacked out and putting spaces and chars on the wrong side of words, it was complaining about my SD, etc. Playing with it today to see if that's any better. Edge isn't.

maybe you want to stay on 10586.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Partycat posted:

You probably have to go back to insider and pick the fastest ring again

My 640 has the latest update. The keyboard was whacked out and putting spaces and chars on the wrong side of words, it was complaining about my SD, etc. Playing with it today to see if that's any better. Edge isn't.

maybe you want to stay on 10586.

I'd second the recommend staying on 10586 - the fast ring updates on my 640 totally hosed a couple SD cards with massive instability in camera and random crashes with no noticeable benefit in the different stream.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yesterdays update seems to have stopped the SD card problems

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's gonna be 1000 years before my 640 XL sees windows 10 at this rate.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

It's gonna be 1000 years before my 640 XL sees windows 10 at this rate.

You should feel OK about the current release stream (or whatever it's called) - 10586 is solid for my 640 Dual. Podcasts are a little quiet at max volume (anyone have thoughts on this?) but otherwise no complaints other than the obvious crappy UX tweaks and general fear of change but those last two are probably for keeps with WP10.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Build 14328 is out.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/22/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14328-for-pc-and-mobile/

Only one build newer, and nothing called out for mobile. Maybe waze/tweetium will work again? WHO KNOWS?!?

Edit: Waze working again, tweetium still broken. It's something!

Tivac fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 22, 2016

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I've been really pleased with WP10 since the upgrade, but I've found one thing that really narks me: the fact that as soon as a phone call connects, the screen immediately turns off and won't come back on for a few seconds. I'm sure it's to avoid you accidentally mashing buttons with your face, but it's a pain in the arse if you're using it for a teleconference where you need to navigate menus, enter passwords, PINs etc. in order to start your call. Is there any way to change that? I've looked everywhere in Settings that seems likely, but not found anything relevant.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The 928 doesn't get Win 10 officially but it should still be able to get it from the Insider Program, right? I restored back to 8.1 to re-install the Win 10 preview fresh, but after using the Insider app to sign up for the fast ring it installed an update to 8.1 and it said it would update to Win 10 automatically if I leave the phone plugged in or I could start right away by selecting my ring in the Insider app again. I did that, and it's been days and I'm still not getting another update.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Buy a 950 XL and get a free 950.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL--Unlocked/productID.326602300?icid=Lumia_banner_promo8144

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well hopefully that drives 950 prices down, I wouldn't mind picking one up to replace my 640 as a "screwing around with windows 10" phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Well hopefully that drives 950 prices down, I wouldn't mind picking one up to replace my 640 as a "screwing around with windows 10" phone.

Swappa will be full of 950's shortly. People will list them for like $489, then commenters will shake the seller down, accusing them of trying to make a profit.

"You got the 950 free. $150 immediate pay!!1"

So yeah, troll and find a deal. They will come.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

"You got the 950 free. $150 immediate pay!!1"

So yeah, troll and find a deal. They will come.

Actually you can just sit around and let someone else troll for you if you want. The people that claim, at X price immediate pay usually don't buy quickly. However the seller will drop the price for them and then someone else will tend to buy.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Actually you can just sit around and let someone else troll for you if you want. The people that claim, at X price immediate pay usually don't buy quickly. However the seller will drop the price for them and then someone else will tend to buy.

Yeah I guess I'm just a grizzled seller there. Broken english demands to drop the price to stupid levels and offering instant payment are so loving annoying. Um, every transaction is instant pay... that's how buying works. It's comical how keyboard warriors think negotiation works this way. Just demand a ridiculous price drop and snag a dollar store deal? Nah kid. That's not how any of this works.

Content: should we read into the free 950 deal? That seems... desperate? (although no surprise lol)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would gladly beg for someone's free 950.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

So considering taking the plunge and getting a W10 phone - what's the app situation currently like? Is Facebook and Messenger better than it was on 8? Any sign of Google apps making their way over? (at least before the European Commission has fun with its anti-trust litigation.)
Also I take it still no official SnapChat? I'm seriously considering buying an older iPhone and jumping ship till W10 gets its act together or finally dies, I really want SnapChat and phhhoto, unless I can easily port them with Islandwood or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

App situation a bit worse than it used to be unfortunately, you may want to hold off really. The OS is coming together though, and the UWP apps there are rather do illustrate that the framework has improved.