Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Giant Isopod posted:

Secret design meeting notes for Dark Souls 3:

"People are really obsessing about that elevator online. We better make elevators a key feature in the next game."

I feel like Onion Knight musing at the strange elevator that goes up when it should go down was directly lampshading that elevator from DS2.

Maybe not but definitely could be.

I also feel like the item description for the rags you get along with the uchigatana was meant to make fun of weeaboo players who use katanas but are really bad, but could be wrong about that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I kept losing in PVP so I respecced to a faith build built around a lightning infused estoc and it's probably the most clearcut bullshit I've ever seen in a videogame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well Master Blaster went down on the 4th attempt. Long fight but not as bad as I thought it would be after hearing so much dread about it in the thread. Would be a lot harder if the pillars shattered instead of staying up permanently.

Now to go back to ramming my head against the Nameless King.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I finally scrounged up enough Faith to equip Lightning Stake, and though it can be tough to cast sometimes it's nice to finally have a hard-hitting spell!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does poise actually do anything at all? I can't tell if it's effectively useless, or if there is just some really high breakpoint you need to hit before even small weapons knock you out of attacks.

Use the fume ultra great sword and watch it knock people out of weapon arts

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
I want to make a crazy build. I'm thinking pumping my faith and strength and running fire fists and lightning. What are some crazy stupid builds to try out?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

this game rules :science:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I can't believe I'm still stuck on Aldrich. I keep getting so close only to be annihilated by the rain of arrows or massive three in a row soul arrow attack.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

it's useless for everyone except for NPCs that can randomly decide to poise through your stunlocks.

Not true. I don't know about the exact mechanics, but after stacking poise it seems like I can get a lot more sloppy with my claymore swings.

If I were to venture a guess I would say that ALL weapons have some sort of hyper armor, which starts somewhere around the end of a weapon's swing, and works backward. Poise being some sort of modifier that increases that hyper armor window to be wider, and closer to the start of the weapon swing.

'tested' in PvP where straight swords would loving rock my dick off in starter Knight set, but after changing some pieces out for higher poise gear I can more reliably trade the first hit, stagger the opponent, and land the follow up.

(highly speculative) This whole relationship is likely modified by the 'poise damage' of the incoming attack - so for example, with enough poise you can just swing a regular greatsword when you see the dude with a straight sword start-up. On the other hand, if you were to take a hit from an ultragreat on roughly the same exact frame it would probably stagger you out of your attack, so even if you trade, the ultragreat with more default hyperarmor frames might end up with the follow up on YOU.

Don't get me wrong. You need stupid amounts of poise to notice much of a difference, but the requirements for "good" performance seem setup on some sort of bellcurve, where the faster weapons would need completely preposterous amounts of poise, but don't really need it anyway, and the slowest weapons not needing too terribly much (many default hyper armor frames), but could stand to benefit from some more. Meanwhile, the middle of the road (regular greatswords, polearms, etc) are slow enough to need poise, but don't have enough default hyper armor frames to let you get away with just a modest bit of poise.

I could be completely wrong about a lot of this. I just know that when using the default knight set using a Claymore it was HUGELY frustrating dealing with opponents using straight swords. Once I stepped up to the Cathedral Knight set these mongs would get completely stomped because they couldn't simply stun me on the first hit, where I didn't have to be agonizingly precise with pre-empting their attacks. Instead I could comfortably just trade the first hit, tank through while the stagger, and get my follow up.

Given the general buff to general greatsword class weapons I almost expect this to become a new meta, because it is a really powerful hard counter to straight swords or lighter, and it doesn't really require any particular playstyle changes. That it will on average now be about 10% more powerful, where I was about 50/50 on invasions vs straight swords BEFORE poising up... yeah.

Poise is good. You just need a lot of it, which means you need a lot of VIT to equip the armors you need for the poise.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Toriori posted:

I can't believe I'm still stuck on Aldrich. I keep getting so close only to be annihilated by the rain of arrows or massive three in a row soul arrow attack.

Try eating some green blossom, I found that helped massively in retaining enough stamina to dodge all that crap.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

What are the effects of being frostbitten? Is there some kind of bug associated with it? Got stuck upstairs where the black knight archer is at Irithyll after rolling through some vases and couldn't escape, had to teleport back to bonfire. Little later was frostbitten again in a different area, didn't get stuck but there was some magical section of a flight of stairs I couldn't walk through.

Frostbite apparently prevents stamina regen for a short time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Toriori posted:

When he fires arrows in phase 2, don't do anything other than avoid them. They last way to long for you to be attacking. Even if you sidestep them the attack will eventually home in on you and then you'll be hosed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Had a great Dark Souls moment today. Was at the Cleansing Cathedral(?) today and got invaded. The guy was better than me. We dodged and attacked and moved in and moved out... All the while I'm summoning phantoms and its failing like 25 times. I roll over a mad phantom and say gently caress it and after us dancing around until we both have less than a millimeter of health I see MrPurple run up and gut the unsuspecting invader....

And then beeline right at me and one-shot me.

It was too #DarkSouls to even be upset...

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

This thread moves super fast, but:

Anyone know how SL1 deprived works with respec'ing in DS3? Like, can you respec a SL1 and end up with 20 STR, because you lowered your INT/FAI from starting stats?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how they made Curse more dangerous by just having the curse radius be three times larger than the cloud visibly cursing you.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nanomashoes posted:

Invading in this game is so loving terrible if the host decides to do any of the 30 things he can do to make it no fun

It's fun for the host. :smug:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

When he fires arrows in phase 2, don't do anything other than avoid them. They last way to long for you to be attacking. Even if you sidestep them the attack will eventually home in on you and then you'll be hosed.

Yeah that p2 arrow rain of death is a real killer. Even dodging around the room constantly it's hard not to get clipped by it. As far as I can tell in the first phase it just goes in a line, but in the second it's always homing in on you. That fight feels a little too RNG heavy for my liking, but I still managed to get him down after only two or three attempts. But I kind of feel like I just got lucky with his spell selection, so it wasn't a very satisfying win.

Doctobear
Apr 18, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does poise actually do anything at all? I can't tell if it's effectively useless, or if there is just some really high breakpoint you need to hit before even small weapons knock you out of attacks.

If its like the other souls games it stops your block from breaking andbstunning you . I havent had that problem though so i dont know . I just beat the second boss so im not very far in

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how they made Curse more dangerous by just having the curse radius be three times larger than the cloud visibly cursing you.

how are you enjoying playing a souls game without insane input lag?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

pmchem posted:

Anyone know how SL1 deprived works with respec'ing in DS3? Like, can you respec a SL1 and end up with 20 STR, because you lowered your INT/FAI from starting stats?

For all classes, whatever level and stats you started with are your base, you cannot go below them, only add to them when respecing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

pmchem posted:

Respeccing as deprived always resets you to the clean 10 in every stat.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can someone explain why my raw Astora sword does more damage overall in lieu of the heavy upgrade when I have 24 str? Do I need higher str to get the payoff?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toriori posted:

my successful attempt he didn't cast the third super long arrow attack.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah that p2 arrow rain of death is a real killer. Even dodging around the room constantly it's hard not to get clipped by it. As far as I can tell in the first phase it just goes in a line, but in the second it's always homing in on you. That fight feels a little too RNG heavy for my liking, but I still managed to get him down after only two or three attempts. But I kind of feel like I just got lucky with his spell selection, so it wasn't a very satisfying win.

It homes for phase one as well, it just is so short that you often don't notice. Running is a big square seems to work best for dodging the arrows, but you need enough stamina to keep running.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Okay, I can tell this should be an easy boss fight but how do I deal with Aldrich's bullshit rain of arrows thing? You can't run away because it's faster than you, you can't strafe because it tracks you so well, and it lasts so long that he's blasting you with magic the entire time and I dunno what to do.
edit: well that's a funny coincidence, I hadn't read the last page :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Heavy infusion removes all dex scaling iirc

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
Has anyone tried luck builds with anri's straight sword?

Putting a bleed resin on it, and it is way better than raw Astoras straight sword. I think speedrunners will change to anri's. No need to level anything other than vigor, endurance and luck.

I'm murdering the end game bosses on the first attempt too drat quickly, it feels overpowered as gently caress.

I have 40 luck/30 end/vigor, so far and having a blast on this second play through. Definitely not a gimmick!

Ahh Yes fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 18, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

m.hache posted:

Can someone explain why my raw Astora sword does more damage overall in lieu of the heavy upgrade when I have 24 str? Do I need higher str to get the payoff?

Because it has garbage scaling. rear end is meant for Raw or non-scaling elemental infusions. If you want a good str-scaling straight sword then farm up a Dark Sword. (broadsword is a good second if you don't want to farm)

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

Other than the reasons already stated, note that you're only getting a D scaling on it, which is pretty poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Using the Dark Sword and not a claymore in pvp has made life so, so much nicer. I still can't get enough poise to get the stomp to matter though.

Jose posted:

how are you enjoying playing a souls game without insane input lag?

Feels good man

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm gonna feel dumb for asking this, but uh.... how on earth are you supposed to deal with enemies that have shields when you're using a Curved Sword/Thrusting Sword? You can't shield break and you can't even kick. I don't get it :(

e: I know baiting and attacking is a thing but most enemies in this game bring up their shield so quickly that I can't even get a roll-stab in before their shield is up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

m.hache posted:

Astora's has high base damage, so a lot for the Raw infusion to play with, but has very poor scaling, so very little for Heavy, Sharp, or Refined to play with.

In other words, it's terrible for anything but Raw, Fire, Deep, and maybe some of the other "effect" type infusions that borrow more from base damage but don't add much scaling.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I'm gonna feel dumb for asking this, but uh.... how on earth are you supposed to deal with enemies that have shields when you're using a Curved Sword/Thrusting Sword? You can't shield break and you can't even kick. I don't get it :(

Carry a dagger. Quickstep behind them. Backstab.

Alternatively, beat the poo poo out of their shield until you burn their stamina and break their guard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Any tips for dodging the Nameless King's lighting smite? I'm getting comfortable with all his attacks except that one. I'm not sure what the audio cue to roll is, cause there sure isn't a visual one!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Zaphod42 posted:

I also feel like the item description for the rags you get along with the uchigatana was meant to make fun of weeaboo players who use katanas but are really bad, but could be wrong about that one too.

The rags say something of the effect of people who wear them making up bold stories to explain their ragged appearance, i.e. "my clothes are full of holes because I fought like 100 guys at once and their weapons shredded my clothes but I killed all of them, so whatevs"

So basically I think they are poking fun at people who act like they are badasses when they are really full of poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

Carry a dagger. Quickstep behind them. Backstab.

Alternatively, beat the poo poo out of their shield until you burn their stamina and break their guard.

B-but my gimmick build :negative:

Beating on the shield doesn't work with an Estoc since it bounces off something fierce, giving the enemy a free counter-attack.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Beating on the shield doesn't work with an Estoc since it bounces off something fierce, giving the enemy a free counter-attack.

Use your drat 2H R2 special, you mong. It pieces shields. :v:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Your Computer posted:

Doesn't the estoc literally have a skill called "shield-pierce" ??

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Not true. I don't know about the exact mechanics, but after stacking poise it seems like I can get a lot more sloppy with my claymore swings.

If I were to venture a guess I would say that ALL weapons have some sort of hyper armor, which starts somewhere around the end of a weapon's swing, and works backward. Poise being some sort of modifier that increases that hyper armor window to be wider, and closer to the start of the weapon swing.

'tested' in PvP where straight swords would loving rock my dick off in starter Knight set, but after changing some pieces out for higher poise gear I can more reliably trade the first hit, stagger the opponent, and land the follow up.

(highly speculative) This whole relationship is likely modified by the 'poise damage' of the incoming attack - so for example, with enough poise you can just swing a regular greatsword when you see the dude with a straight sword start-up. On the other hand, if you were to take a hit from an ultragreat on roughly the same exact frame it would probably stagger you out of your attack, so even if you trade, the ultragreat with more default hyperarmor frames might end up with the follow up on YOU.

Don't get me wrong. You need stupid amounts of poise to notice much of a difference, but the requirements for "good" performance seem setup on some sort of bellcurve, where the faster weapons would need completely preposterous amounts of poise, but don't really need it anyway, and the slowest weapons not needing too terribly much (many default hyper armor frames), but could stand to benefit from some more. Meanwhile, the middle of the road (regular greatswords, polearms, etc) are slow enough to need poise, but don't have enough default hyper armor frames to let you get away with just a modest bit of poise.

I could be completely wrong about a lot of this. I just know that when using the default knight set using a Claymore it was HUGELY frustrating dealing with opponents using straight swords. Once I stepped up to the Cathedral Knight set these mongs would get completely stomped because they couldn't simply stun me on the first hit, where I didn't have to be agonizingly precise with pre-empting their attacks. Instead I could comfortably just trade the first hit, tank through while the stagger, and get my follow up.

Given the general buff to general greatsword class weapons I almost expect this to become a new meta, because it is a really powerful hard counter to straight swords or lighter, and it doesn't really require any particular playstyle changes. That it will on average now be about 10% more powerful, where I was about 50/50 on invasions vs straight swords BEFORE poising up... yeah.

Poise is good. You just need a lot of it, which means you need a lot of VIT to equip the armors you need for the poise.

Just want to requote this because it's something everyone should know as armor and poise is really loving good. The wolf ring gives you +10 to poise so you can wear medium armor and still get a normal roll while having low vit and armor gives a flat % reduction to damage so something like the ring of steel protection gives you 10% damage mitigation. Those two rings and if you want to throw in a havel's can basically let you tank lots of things you couldn't before and still keep swinging and there are also faith spells to increase your damage mitigation.

Also kukri's are really good they can deal 200+ damage at 40 dex but throwing knives are the star in pvp because while the damage is low they come out much quicker and after the first throw you can start a combo where you throw the next one really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Your Computer posted:

Can you weapon switch, kick, switch back in time?