Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Harrow posted:

If they do more action RPGs with Souls DNA, I want more things in the Bloodborne vein. Not specifically its mix of gothic and cosmic horror, just games in wildly different settings from the Souls games with mechanics changes to match. Bloodborne was really refreshing and I love it a whole lot.

Ditto. The problems I had with Bloodborne related almost entirely to the design (farming for healing items? drat near every single boss has huge sweeping attacks and feels obnoxious to approach?); the atmosphere of the game was spot-on.

quote:

For as grim as Bloodborne is, it's the only one in which a couple of the endings are vaguely hopeful--one for the player character (you escaped!) and one for the rest of the world (you may have sacrificed your humanity but you probably ended the cycle of the Hunt!). You also get to do some good things, albeit things more in the "mercy kill" side of "good." The moment you're quoting is one of them.

Bloodborne goes from horror to tragedy pretty quickly towards the end, if you're paying attention to the lore. So much pain and suffering for two species caused by one species' greed and then a continuing lack of ability to understand each other.

Hell, I'd argue it's not even species-wide. It's all about the tragic decisions of one person (Laurence) and how they ended up dragging everyone, including and especially the person's closest friends, around him down with them. Everything afterward was just the wider population not understanding what was happening or why.

fake edit: man the forums were rip there for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

Use your drat shield piecing 2H R2 special, you mong. It pieces shields. :v:

flowinprose posted:

Doesn't the estoc literally have a skill called "shield-break" ??

It does, but have any of you used it? It takes ages to use, spends FP and only deals half the damage of a regular swing... and leaves you open for a counterattack. It's beyond garbage :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just used cheat engine to give myself 9 million souls.

I equipped the Branding Iron weapon, which loving sucks at stopping estus in PVP BTW! and invaded someone and made them work for the kill.

I gave them TEMPTATION!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

K so I've been critical of PvP but after just beating Sulyvahn I noticed all the markings after his area and begun queuing up 3 phantoms at a time, taking them on one by one while the others watch (sometimes sitting at the top and toasting) and its been tense and exciting. Had one guy that was laggy but the rest were all very good and never encountered much cheese out of the 7 or 8 I faced.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Internet Kraken posted:

Any tips for dodging the Nameless King's lighting smite? I'm getting comfortable with all his attacks except that one. I'm not sure what the audio cue to roll is, cause there sure isn't a visual one!

2nd Phase? I can usually dodge right when he lifts it up the spear in the air.

Also probably doesn't need to be said, but consider wearing lightning resistant gear. I got by with Undead Legion gear and a thunder resist ring.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My friend Joseph helped me with the ice knights by teaching me his secret technique of running like a coward. It's funny how the difficulty goes back to being "human" after that poo poo show.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Coolwhoami posted:

Try eating some green blossom, I found that helped massively in retaining enough stamina to dodge all that crap.

That's a good idea, thanks. I've been using charcoal pine resin as well

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Estoc special seems way too slow to be practical especially if you also have to switch hands around; any opponent who isn't also a mong will be circle-strafing or going on the offensive with a quick hit while it charges instead of standing there with a greatshield up and most enemies either move around too much or are too aggressive to stand there and let it break them

It's way better just to stop attacking and go for counter-hits with your quick, long-thrusting weapon

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The Estoc special seems way too slow to be practical especially if you also have to switch hands around; any opponent who isn't also a mong will be circle-strafing or going on the offensive with a quick hit while it charges instead of standing there with a greatshield up and most enemies either move around too much or are too aggressive to stand there and let it break them

It's way better just to stop attacking and go for counter-hits with your quick, long-thrusting weapon

I've found all weapon specials to be too cumbersome to actually use except in niche situations with players who were already on the back foot aka to show off. Maybe if one uses a skill shield it might be useful but IMO the parry shields are more useful (if highly circumstantial).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Making progress on getting it to work with my ultrawide setup!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Norns posted:

Making progress on getting it to work with my ultrawide setup!

:eyepop: would that FOV actually be useful in a practical sense? Seems to me that your eyes'd have to focus on too wide a view to be physically tolerable.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.gamefaqs.com

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My friend Joseph helped me with the ice knights by teaching me his secret technique of running like a coward. It's funny how the difficulty goes back to being "human" after that poo poo show.

The best attack is the one where they do a spinning slash over and over with no cooldown until you die. Irithyll is the only place in the game so far where I've basically given up and just sprinted past everything to get to the next bonfire instead of methodically working my way through the level legitimately. Probably not going to bother going back to explore things until I'm overleveled to the point that all the enemies are trivial.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

double nine posted:

:eyepop: would that FOV actually be useful in a practical sense? Seems to me that your eyes'd have to focus on too wide a view to be physically tolerable.

Uhh it's fine? It's spread across three montors.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Just used cheat engine to give myself 9 million souls.

Youuuuuuuuuuu! :bahgawd:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvhdRqhXSg

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

double nine posted:

Maybe it's actually a normal width screen that's just very short vertically to simulate looking through the knight helm's eye slit

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dandywalken posted:

Youuuuuuuuuuu! :bahgawd:

Yes I cheated to enter a funny invasion to make the other guy look at 9 million souls and decide what he wanted to do with them.

I take it you still get souls from the invader if you kill them right?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've been trying the dark knight sword in PvP and it seems pretty solid. The poise boost from the L2 is really good at telling straight sword users to go away.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Yes I cheated to enter a funny invasion to make the other guy look at 9 million souls and decide what he wanted to do with them.

If it is anything like other souls games, the reward is not based on how many souls you're carrying, but what your SL is. They get souls, but it will often be little more than killing some NPCs in the host's zone.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The amount of souls you gain comes from the SL of the person you kill. At least that's how it was in the previous games. A percentage of how many souls it takes them to level up, and that percentage depended on whether you were invading or being invaded and what covenants you both were in.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Kiggles posted:

If it is anything like other souls games, the reward is not based on how many souls you're carrying, but what your SL is. They get souls, but it will often be little more than killing some NPCs in the host's zone.

Yep, the reason why in DS2 you could kill a cheater and potentially end up with millions of souls or whatever is that they could up their soul level really high while still having a very low soul memory (because the souls they added didn't get added to their soul memory, so they would match with low level people even though they shouldn't have been able to).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The cathedral are awesome and not only are there bonewheels, there are bonespheres. Excellent.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need more of this in my life.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

The kicks are the best part of this. I hope he's wearing the ring that makes them stronger.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Str weapons feel like total rear end in pvp. So hard to land hits. Can only get 3 hits from a full stam bar also.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Just got past the Crystal Sage. I've been 2-handing the deep axe( +2) that you get from the first mimic up to this point in the game. I am going strength heavy though and now have the spiked mace. Is this thing worth upgrading? Anyone use this?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah that p2 arrow rain of death is a real killer. Even dodging around the room constantly it's hard not to get clipped by it. As far as I can tell in the first phase it just goes in a line, but in the second it's always homing in on you. That fight feels a little too RNG heavy for my liking, but I still managed to get him down after only two or three attempts. But I kind of feel like I just got lucky with his spell selection, so it wasn't a very satisfying win.

The arrow rain is easy to avoid. Don't roll away from it just run. I run the perimeter of the room usually. Though then you are open to getting sniped by the 2-3 and sometimes 4 in a row dark blasts.. I ended up using switching out my Grass shield for the Crest shield, when it'd rain arrows i'd bust it out and hold it up and run a big circle, trying to face the boss right around when the arrow rain finishes. The Crest Shield has very good dark resistance for those cross-room attacks. Another thing I hate about the fight is how he teleports into the corners. If you get close the camera tends to wig out out the walls and broken pillars, especially when it pans up as he rises to do attacks.

Also, man, every time I get summoned it is with people who seem to know what they're doing. Yet when I need help seems like I either get down syndrome or palsy victims

Tenzarin posted:

Str weapons feel like total rear end in pvp. So hard to land hits. Can only get 3 hits from a full stam bar also.

what weapons are you using? If you're using big fuckoff str weapons it better have wide sweeping attacks.

Also running sweeping attacks are the poo poo, great for punishing chuggers.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 18, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i love this so much, i can't wait for more gimmick pvp videos

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Willfrey posted:

Also, man, every time I get summoned it is with people who seem to know what they're doing. Yet when I need help seems like I either get down syndrome or palsy victims

Lol if you summoned me I would be as bad as possible.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

i love this so much, i can't wait for more gimmick pvp videos

oh god, that kick at 1:10 lol

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

m.hache posted:

Can someone explain why my raw Astora sword does more damage overall in lieu of the heavy upgrade when I have 24 str? Do I need higher str to get the payoff?

Raw is generally for lower level players or those who want the damage but won't use the scaling, like people who focus on casting. The soft cap for most stats is 40, so if you're focusing on a strength build you'll generally see more positive strength stats around 30 and above.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

For some loving reason phantoms dying when you bait them into enemies doesn't count when you're a mad phantom, you have to kill them yourself. This game is so loving stupid sometimes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I sent the Thrall vendor "out to pillage" Like 3 days ago and he's still not back. He's not coming back is he? :( He sold good stuff.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Thank you to whoever mentioned a Heavy Dark Sword! I upgraded from my Butcher Knife and now I am flying through Irthyll. I seriously just run up to those ghost-knight mobs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Probably the best thing about souls games is the ability to be a complete rear end in a top hat to people without resorting to cheating. If someone did that to me I'd be too busy laughing my rear end off to be mad.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I've started farming Wolf grass for the Farron covenant sword reward... thanking my lucky stars I have Crystal Sage's Rapier, this is taking forever. I WANT THAT WOLF SWORD drat IT.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is it possible to use the balista in the Smouldering Lake? Or can you only turn it on and off?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ahh Yes posted:

Has anyone tried luck builds with anri's straight sword?

Putting a bleed resin on it, and it is way better than raw Astoras straight sword. I think speedrunners will change to anri's. No need to level anything other than vigor, endurance and luck.

I'm murdering the end game bosses on the first attempt too drat quickly, it feels overpowered as gently caress.

I have 40 luck/30 end/vigor, so far and having a blast on this second play through. Definitely not a gimmick!

This is what my second character is doing for a build, with a side of pyromancy if I'm ever feeling saucy and want to fire enchant the sword. Good to hear this is a good build though, I'm a sucker for weird luck builds. See Also: Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NESguerilla posted:

I sent the Thrall vendor "out to pillage" Like 3 days ago and he's still not back. He's not coming back is he? :( He sold good stuff.

Depending where you sent him.

He can come back from Irythil if you have Patches or Sieg save him. Otherwise he dead. Anytime after that location? He's dead.