Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think ROTJ is a good movie and I love it. But it is obvious to me it is the worst movie of the 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I have more respect for CelticPredator's opinion than most in this thread, because he doesn't pretend that his is superior and makes him superior to a nebulous group of film-hating Enemies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There is nothing in the prequels that's offensive enough to hate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO Clone Wars does a way better job of visualizing the PT's themes than the actual films. Which makes sense since Lucas was heavily involved, treated it as his passion project, and was able to work off of [his own percieved] failures to connect and convey to the audience in the PT.

If we included extended materials in our silly rating lists, I'd put CW above them.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is nothing in the prequels that's offensive enough to hate.

I disagree. I would say roughly %70 is worthy of hatred. %20 is silly and %10 is good.

i think my math works out there...

Serf
May 5, 2011

The only thing in the PT I hate is the podracing scene. I dunno how you manage to make a racing scene boring, but holy poo poo they managed it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm pretty sure Cnut is just an SMG alt account that uses the same shtick to argue for something instead of SMG's usual against something.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Seriously? I still put the Blu in from time to time just to watch the podracing scene. With the sound system turned up to eleven.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Seriously? I still put the Blu in from time to time just to watch the podracing scene. With the sound system turned up to eleven.

It's great visual and sound design. I remember thinking it was really long before, but on my Blu-ray re-watch, it seemed fine. The best character in the race is Sebulba's podracer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLR6NsCL4_A

Serf
May 5, 2011

During our recent rewatch of all the movies before TFA came out I just found myself hating the whole thing. The opening bits with the wonderfully weird alien racers is cool and all, but once the race starts, nothing. Oh great another shot of Qui-Gon, Shmi and Padme watching the race. Great. Oh and something broke on Anakin's lovely pod and he has to fix it. Mercy me. The only part of it that is remotely interesting is the two-headed announcer.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Really the only thing I absolutely hated in the prequels was the romance in Attack of the Clones. I mean I get it's supposed to be awkward but it was just... ugh. The rest kinda ranged from watchable to actually pretty good.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

computer parts posted:

Which themes do you believe aren't/should be present in those two films?

Basically anything to do with the corruption inherent in the Republic. The Clone Wars conveys a society held hostage by its own merchant class. This is made worse by the fact that, despite the apparent necessity to commit to the war (something that, if I recall correctly, is actually challenged now and then), they will only do so by creating an expensive army which are effectively relegated to droid status despite their humanity.

There's probably more, I remember there was some good Jedi stuff, but I guess the nature of the war and the politics and classism surrounding it are what really stuck out to me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

homullus posted:

It's great visual and sound design. I remember thinking it was really long before, but on my Blu-ray re-watch, it seemed fine. The best character in the race is Sebulba's podracer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLR6NsCL4_A

The engine sounds in the prequels are all great. I have a particular love for the speeders that Obi-Wan and Anakin drive on Coruscant in AOTC.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The best thing in AoTC was watching Jango Fett tool a fully trained Jedi with duel blaster pistols.

The worst sequence IMHO has to be the droid factory hijinks on Genosis.

The entire detective arc involving Obi-Wan's saber dart investigation leading to Kamino is a close second and it gets salvaged by a decent face off with the Fetts.

Even the entire coliseum battle leading into the Clone Offensive leading into the Obi-Wan/Anakin vs Dooku battle doesn't save the droid factory from sucking poo poo. Mostly because that fight culminates with the awful and cringe worthy wizard battle and CGI duel between Yoda and Darth Body Double.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Yaws posted:

You're ignoring TPM. In that, he's a precocious kind kid. When AotC starts he's a short-tempered, sex starved teenager. Brainwashed by a religious cult. The problem is none of this is pulled off in a convincing way because Hayden can't act/was given poor direction, but you can see what Lucas was aiming for. Kinda.
I agree, though the problem here is that we get to observe the "before Jedi" version of Anakin and the "after Jedi" version of Anakin, but we don't actually get to see the training, the transition, the brainwashing as it happens, which by all rights should be the pivotal, interesting part. "How did the broken Jedi training turn this polite earnest child into a maladjusted teenager? Well gentle viewers, it happened during the ten year time skip that we don't get to see at all!" We're told about the character development, not shown, and the aftereffects of the character development are just never going to be as interesting as the character development itself.

Not that Anakin goes through no changes in Episode II, but they do seem more like affirmations of the dysfunctional person that he already was by the start of the film. As I've said, I think it would've been a much better idea if Anakin didn't pursue Padme so actively at first. This romance is supposed to be the core crux of the film and a major turning point for Anakin's life, something that basically upends everything he's been taught for the past decade, but it comes across more like Anakin the Jedi Padawan was dead set on having a romantic relationship in the first place, actively pursued it, and then ended up getting what he wanted.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I can't believe we're talking about the loving prequels again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

I can't believe we're talking about 3/7 of the Star Wars movies again.

I know, right? If only there were a place for those people to talk about all the Star Wars movies.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I hate Star Wars movies and Star Wars movie discussion.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's not that it's the fact that it's literally the same playground discussion every 3 months.

"The prequels suck here's why"
"Actually they rock here's why"

Debating personal preference with no exploration is trite.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
If you strip away the visuals and sound effects and just consider the plot and dialogue, the prequels sound like something you would overhear listening to a fairly creative six-year-old playing with his action figures.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

High Lord Elbow posted:

If you strip away the visuals and sound effects and just consider the plot and dialogue, the prequels sound like something you would overhear listening to a fairly creative six-year-old playing with his action figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

High Lord Elbow posted:

Six year olds have playtime involving republics, senates, civil wars, and slavery?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

High Lord Elbow posted:

Did you mean to say the OT? Because, as little as I like the prequels, I can't imagine a child coming up with that plot. The OT however? 'The space wizard with the laser sword blew up the moon that can blow up planets' is like, peak child.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What else should we talk about in the Star Wars: Millenial Trash Discussion Station thread on The Something Awful Forums if not the Star Wars septology?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 18, 2016

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

High Lord Elbow posted:

the political ramifications of the trade deal between buzz lightyear and spongebob squarepants collapsing has caused widespread concerns and destroyed the economy of the island of sodor during my kids playtime

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The prequels are incredibly popular, and provide endless avenues for discussion.

Force Awakens, on the other hand, has already caught a bad case of Avatar Syndrome.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Greg Proops was my favorite on whose line. Maybe Ryan too.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

gently caress you if you don't choose Wayne Brady every time.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

GlitchThief posted:

gently caress you if you don't choose Wayne Brady every time.

Wayne is second tier you scrub

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hhhat posted:

Wayne is second tier you scrub

Who is top tier?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I take the controverdial stance of liking all of Star Wars, including the bad parts.

Dark greetings!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who is top tier?

Colin, obviously.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I take the controverdial stance of liking all of Star Wars, including the bad parts.

Dark greetings!

I gotta say, Star Wars is pretty drat good even when it's bad.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Colin, obviously.

Actually Colin is the only one who lacks a top tier. :smug:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

It's not that it's the fact that it's literally the same playground discussion every 3 months.

"The prequels suck here's why"
"Actually they rock here's why"

Debating personal preference with no exploration is trite.

What would you like to talk about, Mr. rear end?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toilet Mouth posted:

What would you like to talk about, Mr. rear end?

Spinning: how neat is it REALLY?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who is top tier?

Obviously Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie as a package deal.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In the Force Awakens, I can pretty much figure out that The First Order are the left overs from the Empire, but who do the Resistance represent? Since the New Republic was destroyed I was having trouble figuring out who they would be fighting for going forward.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Spikeguy posted:

In the Force Awakens, I can pretty much figure out that The First Order are the left overs from the Empire, but who do the Resistance represent? Since the New Republic was destroyed I was having trouble figuring out who they would be fighting for going forward.

Peshmerga.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spikeguy posted:

Ok, so flash back to the Vietnam War. The North Vietnamese were being aided by the Soviets. They publicly fought the Americans/South Vietnamese. The Resistance is like the North Vietnamese. The Republic is like the USSR, and the First Order is like the US.

Imagine a world where the US goes and nukes Russia (with no consequences) and they're still fighting the North Vietnamese. That's basically the situation as of the end of TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

Ok, so flash back to the Vietnam War. The North Vietnamese were being aided by the Soviets. They publicly fought the Americans/South Vietnamese. The Resistance is like the North Vietnamese. The Republic is like the USSR, and the First Order is like the US.

Imagine a world where the US goes and nukes Russia (with no consequences) and they're still fighting the North Vietnamese. That's basically the situation as of the end of TFA.

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Imagine that neonazis have gained power in Greece, and used the resources to build their own aircraft carrier. They use this aircraft carrier as a staging area to hunt down the leaders of some Muslim extremist group, going so far as to launch a clandestine attack on Somalia.

There is debate in the European Council as whether Greece should face sanctions or something, but nobody really gives a poo poo. Meanwhile a handful of the EU's heads of state are not-too-secretly funding the Muslim extremists. A plucky Brit, orphaned in Somalia, makes headway in tracking down the legendary Osama Bin Laden, who was thought to be dead. Afraid of Bin Laden's power, Greece nukes the entire EU, but the Muslims nuke Greece before Greece can nuke Africa.

America doesn't appear in the film. Putin is behind it all.

• Locked thread