Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My friend Joseph helped me with the ice knights by teaching me his secret technique of running like a coward. It's funny how the difficulty goes back to being "human" after that poo poo show.

Oh yeah, the zone is tons of fun.

Even the initial gauntlet is fun the first time or three, it just is extremely loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

strangemusic posted:

I've started farming Wolf grass for the Farron covenant sword reward... thanking my lucky stars I have Crystal Sage's Rapier, this is taking forever. I WANT THAT WOLF SWORD drat IT.

I'm still slightly confused about farming. Do you need to be wearing the covenant item for it's respective offering to drop? Do you need to be Embered?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What determines if you actually get credit for moundmaking? I thought it was for getting the killing blow but it's not; that hasn't worked three times now. All three times it said to kill one phantom or a host, and I killed the phantom each time. It's never counted a red phantom and only seems to count the sentinel half the time.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I sent the Thrall vendor "out to pillage" Like 3 days ago and he's still not back. He's not coming back is he? :( He sold good stuff.

I think you need to save Siegward dude a second time. You can recover his ashes so the handmaiden will now sell his wares but I dunno where they are.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wolnir's name is a pun. God dammit.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

RBA Starblade posted:

What determines if you actually get credit for moundmaking? I thought it was for getting the killing blow but it's not; that hasn't worked three times now. All three times it said to kill one phantom or a host, and I killed the phantom each time. It's never counted a red phantom and only seems to count the sentinel half the time.

Killing blow on the host or on as many phantoms as there are when you load into their game. Though who knows how buggy killing blows can be.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

qbert posted:

I'm still slightly confused about farming. Do you need to be wearing the covenant item for it's respective offering to drop? Do you need to be Embered?

For that covenant, you need to be wearing it to even be summoned. You do not need to be embered, however.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to use the balista in the Smouldering Lake? Or can you only turn it on and off?

Can't aim it outside of you being the target. On and off only.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Coolwhoami posted:

For that covenant, you need to be wearing it to even be summoned. You do not need to be embered, however.

No, I understand that, but I was wondering if you need to be wearing the covenant item to farm offerings from PvE enemies.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

qbert posted:

Neither of these are true, as far as I know.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to co-op on Vordt for a while now and more than half of my attempts end the same way :(

I spawn in, host is floating around in their idle animation. They walk up to the fog gate, shoot 5 meters into the air and begin fighting. I can't enter, having no prompt and no "critical battle has commenced". They die.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't get it?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it scummy to invade someone with a Red Eye Orb just so you can have a look around the area unhindered by enemies?

Because it feels really sort of necessary in the Catacombs.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
^^^^ nah, provided you don't make them sit at a fog gate waiting for you to gently caress around. Mind, if you do that you're liable to seed of the giant'd, so.

qbert posted:

No, I understand that, but I was wondering if you need to be wearing the covenant item to farm offerings from PvE enemies.

Oh, apologies. For PvE dudes, you don't need to have it on, although it probably would make sense to given that you can do both at the same time. Buy some coins from patches to help with the drop rates too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

where's the elite knight set?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Buy it from the store after finishing Anri's questline.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think if I recall, happens after the Anri quest. Once you get her sword, shrine maiden sells her armor.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's on the person who's wearing it. Either kill them or complete their quest to obtain it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm trying to figure out a Dex build with magic solely to buff my weapons, but the dual wield weapons feel pretty underwhelming compared to my old STR knight. I'm hoping they get a little more oomph with upgrades, but right now they feel like they're only doing like 75% of what my longsword was doing at +0

Steve2911 posted:

Is it scummy to invade someone with a Red Eye Orb just so you can have a look around the area unhindered by enemies?

Because it feels really sort of necessary in the Catacombs.

Be courageous when exploring! I haven't once summoned an ally for exploration, only for bosses sometimes. It's definitely pretty tense going around corners and not knowing if you'll find a bonfire, loot or a double whammy of goat monsters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Buy it from the store after finishing Anri's questline.

oh right, that makes sense. I already did that so it should be there. thanks!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've had something like 10 giant seeds used on me today. Shouldn't they be, y'know, rare?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

I'm trying to figure out a Dex build with magic solely to buff my weapons, but the dual wield weapons feel pretty underwhelming compared to my old STR knight. I'm hoping they get a little more oomph with upgrades, but right now they feel like they're only doing like 75% of what my longsword was doing at +0

If we're looking at Dark Souls 1 style buffing, dual wield weapons are probably the way to go for buffs.

So assuming that, weapon buffs would work something along the lines of adding the Spell Buff power * X, where X is the modifier of the buff in question. In Dark Souls magic adjust was much higher, so here we're probably looking at X being somewhere around 2.0, maybe more.

This is also assuming there isn't a generic % reduction per hit on the L1/L2 attacks, which would basically render dual wield weapons completely irrelevant, but you can take it for a quick test drive. Go slap something with your duel wield weapon of choice. First with an R1. Record the damage. Then with the L2. Again, record the damage (per hit).

Now slap some resin on the bastard and go hit the same target, once with an R1 (to get an approximate baseline for how much damage is being added by the resin), then with the L1. If you're looking at roughly the full power of the resin being applied to each hit on the L1, dual-wield setups are probably ideal for "buff" focused builds, where maybe you hit base requirements, infuse Raw, and get your damage scaling primarily from buffs.

On the other hand, if the apparent damage increase seems like it is being divided between the two hits, then gently caress dual wielding, because I otherwise have no idea how to make that crap good at all.

From there, just make sure you are using a catalyst that actually has a spell buff value higher than 100. Some of these things literally do not appear to scale at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is this thing in Irithyll Ddungeon and do I kill it or what?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So final boss question; This HAS to be the player character from Dark Souls 1, right?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Nanomashoes posted:

I've had something like 10 giant seeds used on me today. Shouldn't they be, y'know, rare?

Do you ever stop complaining? God drat.

Unrelated, but as a caster, what's the most important stat to look for on your chosen offhand casting implement? I tooled around as a sorcerer for some time but most of the staff items I found looked worse than a staff I found in the first 5 hours of the game. I assume I'm just terrible and have no idea what to look for.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

So final boss question; This HAS to be the player character from Dark Souls 1, right?

Yeah, thats the implication.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Internet Kraken posted:

Having never completed Dark Souls 1, I thought I read people saying he had similar attacks/moves as Gwyn

Kiggles posted:

If we're looking at Dark Souls 1 style buffing, dual wield weapons are probably the way to go for buffs.

So assuming that, weapon buffs would work something along the lines of adding the Spell Buff power * X, where X is the modifier of the buff in question. In Dark Souls magic adjust was much higher, so here we're probably looking at X being somewhere around 2.0, maybe more.

This is also assuming there isn't a generic % reduction per hit on the L1/L2 attacks, which would basically render dual wield weapons completely irrelevant, but you can take it for a quick test drive. Go slap something with your duel wield weapon of choice. First with an R1. Record the damage. Then with the L2. Again, record the damage (per hit).

Now slap some resin on the bastard and go hit the same target, once with an R1 (to get an approximate baseline for how much damage is being added by the resin), then with the L1. If you're looking at roughly the full power of the resin being applied to each hit on the L1, dual-wield setups are probably ideal for "buff" focused builds, where maybe you hit base requirements, infuse Raw, and get your damage scaling primarily from buffs.

On the other hand, if the apparent damage increase seems like it is being divided between the two hits, then gently caress dual wielding, because I otherwise have no idea how to make that crap good at all.

From there, just make sure you are using a catalyst that actually has a spell buff value higher than 100. Some of these things literally do not appear to scale at all.

Yeah, I'll have to test it a lot when I get home, but I really really hope dual wielding with magic is a thing.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

2 SPOOKY posted:

Do you ever stop complaining? God drat.

Unrelated, but as a caster, what's the most important stat to look for on your chosen offhand casting implement? I tooled around as a sorcerer for some time but most of the staff items I found looked worse than a staff I found in the first 5 hours of the game. I assume I'm just terrible and have no idea what to look for.

It's actually not a complaint. I use giant seeds to lure enemies into people and kill them. I'm just curious.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it's an amalgamation of previous people who have linked the fire, characters and Gwyn both. Which is why it keeps swapping from one fighting style to another. But once you drain the first HP bar and move to phase 2, it is so obviously Gwyn. You even hear his theme mixed in the music.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

Having never completed Dark Souls 1, I thought I read people saying he had similar attacks/moves as Gwyn

That too. His soul says:

Soul of the Lords.
Since Lord Gwyn, the first Lord of Cinder, many exalted lords have linked the First Flame, and it is their very souls that have manifested themselves as defender of the flame.

So it seems like he's every individual that's linked the flame before.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Elman posted:

That too. His soul says:

Soul of the Lords.
Since Lord Gwyn, the first Lord of Cinder, many exalted lords have linked the First Flame, and it is their very souls that have manifested themselves as defender of the flame.

That looks to be it, 100% from that soul description.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dammit! Black Knight fell in some lava. Is the loot gone for good? I tried quitting and coming back. Nothing. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had a mimic fall into a pit, and when I reloaded his loot was back where it sat originally. try checking where the knight stands before you aggro'd it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Twin Princes is a very fun fight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elman posted:

Which is the only way to make him the protagonist from Dark Souls anyway, because everybody's character had different stats and used different gear and heck some of them were girls

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Which is the only way to make him the protagonist from Dark Souls anyway, because everybody's character had different stats and used different gear and heck some of them were girls

It worked for me! The pyromancer phase is almost identical to my first Dark Souls character. All it needed was a rapier instead of a scimitar.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't get it?

I'm reading too much into it but he's a advancing wall of doom boss, don't let him get near you or you'll die. Wall Near :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zombies' Downfall posted:

what if it checked your save files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

what if it checked your save files?

That would be cool but is there a PS4 version of DS1?