Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jetz0r posted:

Making things hot drains batteries like crazy, though. And a hub generator will use up your precious watts. So, clearly the answer is to put bars of Plutonium 238 in the handlebars, to keep them warm for decades.

A very simple solution, no moving parts, no over-engineering, don't even have to worry about recharging batteries.

two bike riders crash creating a fizzle reaction. all bystanders are dead within 10 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Real hurthling! posted:

two bike riders crash creating a fizzle reaction. all bystanders are dead within 10 days

but are there any downsides?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

duz posted:

Roads closed for an hour while they clean up

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

duz posted:

The farmer's market loses part of its clientele and a few shop owners due to the incident. So, nah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

jetz0r posted:

Making things hot drains batteries like crazy, though. And a hub generator will use up your precious watts. So, clearly the answer is to put bars of Plutonium 238 in the handlebars, to keep them warm for decades.

A very simple solution, no moving parts, no over-engineering, don't even have to worry about recharging batteries.

It's safe because a screwdriver is holding up the plutonium's cover

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Expand the hand cover to cover the entire body. Of course, with that much added weight you'll need a small engine to help propel along the....

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Expand the hand cover to cover the entire body. Of course, with that much added weight you'll need a small engine to help propel along the....

make it out of a lightweight metal, like aluminium, and add space for 4 people, and room for storage in the back.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

OddObserver posted:

"Upon further review, the ruling on the field stands because the receiver failed to demonstrate standing"?

Why do you think cases are "punted" for standing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I feel that this product would benefit from cloud integration.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ErIog posted:

Why do you think cases are "punted" for standing?

As he said the case was going to the ground. It's ridiculous how hard it is to determine what is or isn't standing in this national judiciary branch.

...what were we talking about again?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've noticed those lithium-battery powered jackets and vests are getting more and more popular with construction workers in the winter. I've wondered how these would work for normal folks, since being able to wear what looks like a light jacket during below-freezing weather and just carrying around a battery would be significantly more appealing to me than dealing with a huge winter jacket.

V-- I get the joke, but I seriously wonder about these things.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 11, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Chuu posted:

I've noticed those lithium-battery powered jackets and vests are getting more and more popular with construction workers in the winter. I've wondered how these would work for normal folks, since being able to wear what looks like a light jacket during below-freezing weather and just carrying around a battery would be significantly more appealing to me than dealing with a huge winter jacket.

My joke was that we were designing a car.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

I assume you mean that it should be able to fly. We'll work that into the design specs and budget accordingly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discendo Vox posted:

I there was ever a time for a cloud-to-butt word filter script to earn it's keep, it's right now.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012
Speaking of standing, is that generally thought to be the way the Court rules on this immigration thing, especially at 4-4? I've read a couple of things suggesting that, but don't know how likely that is or isn't.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Beforehand posted:

Speaking of standing, is that generally thought to be the way the Court rules on this immigration thing, especially at 4-4? I've read a couple of things suggesting that, but don't know how likely that is or isn't.

IANAL, but the Scalia himself at least claimed to be a fan of seperation of powers. See his opinion in Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife, which (to me, a non-lawyer) seems to invalidate a statute that tried to give a cause of action to citizens to compel the executive to act. Obviously this is a somewhat different situation, but the same separation of powers idea might be involved.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

IANAL, but the Scalia himself at least claimed to be a fan of seperation of powers. See his opinion in Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife, which (to me, a non-lawyer) seems to invalidate a statute that tried to give a cause of action to citizens to compel the executive to act. Obviously this is a somewhat different situation, but the same separation of powers idea might be involved.

Calling dibs on "Desperation of Powers" for a book title.

Goddamnit you edited too fast!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My joke was that we were designing a car.

I thought you were referencing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTygajaWaR0&t=140s

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I assume you mean that it should be able to fly. We'll work that into the design specs and budget accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEDrMriKsFM

Okay, done.

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011
I'd like to preface this post and say that a comedy forum may not be the best place to ask for help understanding a case and that my personal view of the decision is probably different than most of you. I also want to point out that if you check my posting history, you'll see very little. However I'm a daily lurker in uspol and ycs and I know that sometimes posters have keen insight.

A number of years ago a family member was murdered in Louisiana. The perpetrator was a 16 year old juvenile. He was convicted and sentenced to life without parole. A later appeal on mental state was denied. I think it was considered premeditated. I don't want to dox myself and don't have PM's.

Can anyone explain in layman's terms miller v Alabama and Montgomery v Louisiana and reconcile the differences? The rest of my family has no idea about the cases and I'd like to know about the killer's chance of resentencing or parole before I begin to burden them with that information. I've read the scotusblog stuff, but don't really understand it. It seems Miller focused on giving younger non-murderers parole, but Montgomery seems to compell resentencing for all.

Can anyone help out? I have near zero legal knowledge. I'm also a busy middle aged man who only gets online once or twice a day, so please be patient with me. I'm aware this post sounds desperate and douchey.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
You've pretty much got it. Miller barred imposition of LWOP sentences on minor, period (a prior case, Graham v. Florida, had barred them for non-murder cases). However, the question of retroactivity was left open; as of Miller, all that were barred were new LWOP sentences for minors. Montgomery v. Louisiana addressed the retroactivity question and held that Miller does apply to past minor LWOP sentences, meaning people who were sentenced as minors can now petition for re-sentencing.

This is how these things tend to go when the court finds a new right, or new interpretation of an existing right, etc. A series of questions are answered in order of increasing difficulty. These cases are contemporaries of juvenile and mentally disabled death penalty cases that found that it is unconstitutional to impose the death penalty in those groups.

It is very likely that the perpetrator in your case will be re-sentenced. Note that this does not mean he will necessarily get out. Some states (Florida, in particular) have been very aggressive in re-sentencing and gotten LWOP sentences replaced with life with parole sentences. Miller and its line do not require that juveniles *get* parole, just that the opportunity not be completely foreclosed to them. I don't know Louisiana at all, but it's in the Deep South so I assume parole is difficult there.

I would also guess that you will be contacted by prosecutors / victim advocates to inform you when these things start moving, because you may well have rights to submit new victim impact statements / oppose parole, etc.

http://www.lsp.org/assistance.html

That link may have some contact information for people who can give you more detailed information. Might also be worth contacting the DA in the county he was convicted in.

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

You've pretty much got it. Miller barred imposition of LWOP sentences on minor, period (a prior case, Graham v. Florida, had barred them for non-murder cases). However, the question of retroactivity was left open; as of Miller, all that were barred were new LWOP sentences for minors. Montgomery v. Louisiana addressed the retroactivity question and held that Miller does apply to past minor LWOP sentences, meaning people who were sentenced as minors can now petition for re-sentencing.

This is how these things tend to go when the court finds a new right, or new interpretation of an existing right, etc. A series of questions are answered in order of increasing difficulty. These cases are contemporaries of juvenile and mentally disabled death penalty cases that found that it is unconstitutional to impose the death penalty in those groups.

It is very likely that the perpetrator in your case will be re-sentenced. Note that this does not mean he will necessarily get out. Some states (Florida, in particular) have been very aggressive in re-sentencing and gotten LWOP sentences replaced with life with parole sentences. Miller and its line do not require that juveniles *get* parole, just that the opportunity not be completely foreclosed to them. I don't know Louisiana at all, but it's in the Deep South so I assume parole is difficult there.

I would also guess that you will be contacted by prosecutors / victim advocates to inform you when these things start moving, because you may well have rights to submit new victim impact statements / oppose parole, etc.

http://www.lsp.org/assistance.html

That link may have some contact information for people who can give you more detailed information. Might also be worth contacting the DA in the county he was convicted in.

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
So, there's a big immigration case coming up? The SCOTUS thread is on page 2? What's happening?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

So, there's a big immigration case coming up? The SCOTUS thread is on page 2? What's happening?

Either it's going to get 4-4ed into the expanded DREAM deferrals being barred until the administration can get a plan reviewed by a friendly court, or Roberts will join with the liberals to punt the case on standing and rule Texas has no right to challenge the deferrals (which would permit the plan to go forward).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There will be a lot of talk about what Scalia would have wanted on Republican Twitter. Clarence Thomas will ritually offer libations to appease his dark spirit.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

evilweasel posted:

Either it's going to get 4-4ed into the expanded DREAM deferrals being barred until the administration can get a plan reviewed by a friendly court, or Roberts will join with the liberals to punt the case on standing and rule Texas has no right to challenge the deferrals (which would permit the plan to go forward).
Thanks, that's actually 100x more concise than the stupid NYT article.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

For SCOTUS stuff just read SCOTUSblog. The major papers/NPR usually are quite as informative.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mors Rattus posted:

There will be a lot of talk about what Scalia would have wanted on Republican Twitter. Clarence Thomas will ritually offer libations to appease his dark spirit.

Just watch out for pubes on the edge of those libations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Kennedy was pretty silent during arguments, I gather? All the noise is about Roberts and Alito going hard against the Solicitor General. Either way, its not filling with me confidence. As someone who has volunteered with DACA kids, this is a case that I've got a lot riding on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hopefully he just punts it on standing

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Kennedy was pretty silent during arguments, I gather? All the noise is about Roberts and Alito going hard against the Solicitor General. Either way, its not filling with me confidence. As someone who has volunteered with DACA kids, this is a case that I've got a lot riding on.

Supposedly Roberts changed his tune after Kagan handed the Texas SG his head.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Supposedly Roberts changed his tune after Kagan handed the Texas SG his head.

What'd she do? Scotusblog doesn't seem to mention it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

geegee posted:

What'd she do? Scotusblog doesn't seem to mention it.

I don't have details, but ThinkProgress's court report was in the courtroom and made it sound like she just took it to his argument, and the chief's tone and questioning was different afterwards

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Thanks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mors Rattus posted:

Justice Scalia attempted to reincarnate on petitioners behalf.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know slate's reading of it is pretty downbeat: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ation_plan.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

I don't have details, but ThinkProgress's court report was in the courtroom and made it sound like she just took it to his argument, and the chief's tone and questioning was different afterwards

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/15-674_h3dj.pdf

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
After reading the arguments it seems like they'll probably be able to punt on standing since Kennedy could be convinced to join a decision based on that. I don't think he likes DACA/DAPA, but I also think he's not happy with the suit brought by Texas. It was really weird that Verilli couldn't articulate the limits of discretion by the executive branch until Sotomayor stepped in to prompt him with the answer.

This case is a mess, though, because of the way immigration has traditionally been handled and Congress generally being incompetent in how it directs the executive to handle immigration. Every argument from the anti-DACA/DAPA side goes against precedent or is just inapplicable. I still don't understand how they even have standing. Even putting aside the argument that the executive would sue if they didn't give licenses, they haven't exhausted their administrative options.

The audio isn't out yet, but I'll probably listen to it. It seems like some of the justices are a little exasperated by the mess they're being asked to clean up. There's been decades of haphazard immigration policy held together by actions made at the discretion of the executive under presidents from both sides. Now Texas wants SCOTUS to decide the case without regard for pesky things like "reality."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 19, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CannonFodder posted:

Justice Scalia attempted to reincarnate on petitioners behalf.

On a certain day, to uncertain parents, incarnate jowls and star reborn.

Neither homosexuality nor age can harm him. The Curse-of-Flesh before him flies.

In caverns dark Reagan's eye sees, and makes to shine the jowls and star.

A stranger's voice unites the States. The NRA calls him Hortator.

A stranger's hand unites the Convention. Focus on the Family calls him Nerevarine.

He honors blood of the child unborn. He imprisons the abortionists, and is reborn.

His justice punishes the cursed false gods, punishes the broken, punishes the mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ErIog posted:

The audio isn't out yet, but I'll probably listen to it. It seems like some of the justices are a little exasperated by the mess they're being asked to clean up.
I liked the (Article III??) question one of the judges (and Verelli?) anticipated, saying that ruling with Texas would open up a can of 'I don't like this poo poo' suits, given that Texas was already bitching about Syrian refugees.

Really shows how much they dislike the implications of this particular question.