Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm an anime person. JoJo replaced watching Breaking Bad with my old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
My Little JoJo: Friendship is Violent

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

guts and bolts posted:

here's hoping he does something like use the Joestar family's secret technique, or get to act like a geek/idiot/whatever outside of his weird idiosyncrasy about being afraid of turtles.
Part 4 starts out pretty dire so I can totally see Josuke coming off as serious or bored as Jotaro in these serious situations as little bit of a letdown, and while things are never completely not serious in Part 4, once things mellow out a bit and the flow of it gets going, there will be a good amount of Josuke being a goofy teen with his goofy teen friends. Josuke literally and figuratively wears his heart on his sleeve and I'm excited for people to see him.

As for the bad fandom thing, I'm not surprised by it, but I've personally never experienced it. My only communication with JoJo fans has been these threads and personal friends who keep up with the series and that's always been Good Times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Part 4 starts out pretty dire

http://i.imgur.com/3zgmGgS.webm

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's me reading Clamp in Wonderland

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

These are cool and thoughtful posts.

Josuke is an imminently more likable protagonist than Jotaro was, though I still enjoy Joseph more overall. Whoever described Josuke as a combo of Jotaro and Joseph is pretty correct, though the fact that that description never occurred to me until you mentioned it now probably is a testament to Josuke being more that just a "x meets x" character.

You're right about Jotaro fitting in more as a "wise teacher" than he ever did as a protagonist. Honestly, it wasn't until Egypt and we actually saw Jotaro flinch once or twice that I actually started to like him. Before then, he seemed stone-faced to the point of self-parody. I'm not to sure to what extent his extreme outward stoicism enhanced my enjoyment of his later more relatable self, and I'm not sure if his tenure as protagonist in part 3 is what makes me enjoy him as an "Obi-Wan" figure in part 4 so much. I just know Part 3 was a hard sell for me at first, and it wasn't until the second half that I really enjoyed it and, as a result, was able to rewatch the first half with renewed appreciation.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yo, Angelo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Part 4 starts out pretty dire

Nah, pretty Dire got ended in Part 1.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Well yeah, and Part 2 started pretty Straits

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He has all three of the prior JoJos in him, not just Joseph and Jotaro. His steel will to defend Morioh is something he inherited from his grandfather but is a total Jonathan trait, as is his sheer kindness. The quick temper and toughness is Jotaro but the Joseph comes a bit later on and his characteristics are probably the most prevalent of the three prior. He's still his own man besides all of that though.

Ultimately though, his crowning moments are kind of like Joseph part 2 done much better.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

that shirt

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jojo's is so sincere

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What actually is that clip. I have never seen Araki not smile

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No idea, but the contents of the folder is probably photos of dead dogs followed by a note saying no dogs were harmed in the making of that folder.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Was there an announcement on how many episodes Part 4 is going to be? I never want my JoJos to stop.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Housh posted:

Was there an announcement on how many episodes Part 4 is going to be? I never want my JoJos to stop.

Strongly hinted to be 39.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's all but confirmed to be 39 now barring David keeping a shorter (in this case) second season under wraps like they did with Stardust Crusaders.

It doesn't seem like that will be how it goes and the bluray listings list all the way up to Episode 39.

e:

also there's next to no room in the blu-ray release schedule for a cour's hiatus so we're probably going through the entirety with no breaks as is.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 18, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh man, hearing that Part 4's probably going non-stop to the end is the best rumor. :allears:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Moltrey posted:

Part 4 starts out pretty dire so I can totally see Josuke coming off as serious or bored as Jotaro in these serious situations as little bit of a letdown, and while things are never completely not serious in Part 4, once things mellow out a bit and the flow of it gets going, there will be a good amount of Josuke being a goofy teen with his goofy teen friends. Josuke literally and figuratively wears his heart on his sleeve and I'm excited for people to see him.

As for the bad fandom thing, I'm not surprised by it, but I've personally never experienced it. My only communication with JoJo fans has been these threads and personal friends who keep up with the series and that's always been Good Times.

I should be clear that I'm not writing off Josuke yet, and I feel like it would be unfair to give the protagonist two episodes to be everything I want or consider him a failure; it just contrasted really hard with the transition from part one to part two, or even part two to part three, where the establishing moments of the introductory periods of those arcs were "This ain't your last-generation JoJo!!!" Especially going from one to two, where the narrative almost bends completely over itself to illustrate the point that Joseph != Jonathan.

As for the fandom thing, it's just been a ubiquitous element of trying to talk about JoJo either online or in person, even with people I'm otherwise friendly with. Like, I'm of the opinion that there are absolutely sections of Stardust Crusaders that feel like padding for length; they add some cute character beats, but there are more elegant ways to get those into your narrative while still tightening it up in my mind. If you so much as breathe a bad word about the most memetic part of JoJo or its most memetic villain (I like Dio but don't find him to be inordinately compelling, just a decently executed bad guy) you get dogpiled pretty quickly. It's weird that, reading the thread, so many people have experienced Joseph being the most popular Joestar; I think some of that is that Part 2 is short, digestible, funny, and that Joseph dominates it completely, whereas in Part 1 Jonathan is sorta your run-of-the-mill hero and in Part 3 Jotaro has more of an ensemble to draw the eye while also being in a much longer series. Everything after Stardust Crusaders also takes place post-art shift, from what I understand, so most of your "average" JoJo knowledge (averaging among people into this sort of media) is probably about 1-3.

TooManyUzukis posted:

These are cool and thoughtful posts.

Josuke is an imminently more likable protagonist than Jotaro was, though I still enjoy Joseph more overall. Whoever described Josuke as a combo of Jotaro and Joseph is pretty correct, though the fact that that description never occurred to me until you mentioned it now probably is a testament to Josuke being more that just a "x meets x" character.

You're right about Jotaro fitting in more as a "wise teacher" than he ever did as a protagonist. Honestly, it wasn't until Egypt and we actually saw Jotaro flinch once or twice that I actually started to like him. Before then, he seemed stone-faced to the point of self-parody. I'm not to sure to what extent his extreme outward stoicism enhanced my enjoyment of his later more relatable self, and I'm not sure if his tenure as protagonist in part 3 is what makes me enjoy him as an "Obi-Wan" figure in part 4 so much. I just know Part 3 was a hard sell for me at first, and it wasn't until the second half that I really enjoyed it and, as a result, was able to rewatch the first half with renewed appreciation.

Thanks.

I do actually really like Jotaro as the mentor figure here, because it allows his potential for comedy to really breathe, and no matter how hosed up JoJo tends to get, humor is a core part of the series, and Araki's ability to implement it is brilliant. Because Jotaro can now be allowed to be genuinely funny with his straight-man routine, and then also allowed to exit stage left before his gruff ~yare yare daze~ shtick gets old, he's improved immensely in my mind. I've already seen comparisons to Western media elsewhere so I'll do one, too - it's like the difference between Ari from Entourage and Jack Donaghy from 30 Rock. They're both sort of breakout characters, but the difference is that 30 Rock graciously cuts away from Jack's shenanigans/B-plot/whatever before he can really start to grate, whereas Ari starts off as shocking and irreverent and funny and cool and then quickly becomes tiresome as the showrunners just don't seem to know when to give us a break from him. It also has the neat side-effect of magnifying his presence by giving us fewer moments of it; Jotaro feels like he has a lot of weight and gravity, even if the art shift makes him look... gentler? -- and I actually find myself looking forward to seeing him show up again whenever he leaves the plot for a minute. I get the impression from the introductory episodes that Jotaro will either get incapacitated or just straight up be doing other things during large sections of the narrative, which is pretty merciful, although I can imagine there will be some friction with die-hards who jumped on the JoJo train with Part 3. "Why doesn't Jotaro just show up and time stop and insta-win against <villain>" is a question that I'm pretty sure Araki answers by either having him not present or giving us enemies that you can't just punch to death - Aqua Necklace being the first of these - but I have the sinking feeling you'll probably see a lot more commentary like the one that said "This part isn't JoJo."

I like that Josuke to this point has this sort of mercurial attitude - his personality turns on a dime, which fits with him both being a teenager and being Joseph's son - I'm just also hoping we get a wider breadth of reactions beyond the normal Joestar repertoire of angry/righteously indignant/indifferent. It worked for Joseph to run this roulette because he's in a preceding part, so he got dibs, and also because his indifference is a sort of whimsy; at the point that I read part two, when I was younger, I had never really seen a protagonist in fiction who was depicted as being so unapologetically driven by self-interest and then also you're supposed to sympathize with him, and even like him. Joseph is not really in any way heroic for most of Battle Tendency, and that's even putting aside his whole win-via-cunning element. Watching part one later enriched part two quite considerably, because at the time you have to figure it was a total mindfuck that Araki both killed his likable hero in Jonathan and then also immediately replaced him with a goddamn jerk

My familiarity with anime as a medium is not deep enough to make this kind of hyperbolic statement straight-faced, but I wonder to what degree modern anime protagonists owe their attitude to JoJo as a franchise. Joseph is sort of the prototype for loudmouths with quick wits and an innate selfishness/laziness that is only shunted aside when he goes all Darkwing Duck and decides to get dangerous. Jotaro may or may not be the first "stoic to the point of absurdity/comedy/boredom" character in anime, who treats most/all things as an irritant, but he's the first example that jumps to my mind, and that part started literally almost thirty years ago, so it doesn't feel like a stretch to assume many authors owe their inspiration to Araki and those two characters in particular.

Josuke's aesthetic turned me off at first, but it's kinda growing on me. He also feels much more like a product of his world; I liked Caesar in part two because he's almost too flamboyant to exist, and most of the other characters either dress plainly (for an anime) like Joseph, or are loving naked like the Pillar Men, and I like Josuke for almost the opposite reason (he's really no more flamboyant than any other important character excepting Koichi, who to this point seems designed to be as unassuming as possible, meaning he is Definitely Going To Get A Stand™). This part is also so far the part that I feel like has been most shamelessly copied, because if I'm not mistaken Persona 4 pretty much just is Diamond Is Unbreakable.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Was at a festival in SF's Japantown this weekend and the first cosplayer I spotted looked like he came right out of JoJo!

Kishibe-sensei called me a cretin. :allears:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

guts and bolts posted:

As for the fandom thing, it's just been a ubiquitous element of trying to talk about JoJo either online or in person, even with people I'm otherwise friendly with. Like, I'm of the opinion that there are absolutely sections of Stardust Crusaders that feel like padding for length; they add some cute character beats, but there are more elegant ways to get those into your narrative while still tightening it up in my mind. If you so much as breathe a bad word about the most memetic part of JoJo or its most memetic villain (I like Dio but don't find him to be inordinately compelling, just a decently executed bad guy) you get dogpiled pretty quickly. It's weird that, reading the thread, so many people have experienced Joseph being the most popular Joestar; I think some of that is that Part 2 is short, digestible, funny, and that Joseph dominates it completely, whereas in Part 1 Jonathan is sorta your run-of-the-mill hero and in Part 3 Jotaro has more of an ensemble to draw the eye while also being in a much longer series. Everything after Stardust Crusaders also takes place post-art shift, from what I understand, so most of your "average" JoJo knowledge (averaging among people into this sort of media) is probably about 1-3.

I have seen polls of Jojo fans and the modal age is like 16. That somewhat helps explain why you can't have a conversation about it without people taking it as a personal insult that you can criticise something they like.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/sprsk/status/720811709288419328

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Maybe after Josuke's done fixing it, it'll stop seeing stuff as either two giraffes in a fenced in area, or someone on a surfboard in a skate park.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You're right, Persona 4 pretty much is DIU, straight up, which is great since Persona is already a spinoff of another series and they're utilizing their demons in this different "JoJo with Carl Jung" way.

Even better that Persona 5 is about criminals...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the original of this is fan art, but it's so faithful to Araki's art that I'm not sure.

(It's definitely not from the DiU serialisation so don't worry about it being a spoiler image of any sort)

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think the original of this is fan art, but it's so faithful to Araki's art that I'm not sure.

(It's definitely not from the DiU serialisation so don't worry about it being a spoiler image of any sort)

I've linked that here before

http://mayoday.tumblr.com/post/74321871625/josuke-omake-translated-credits-to

(Safe to click, no spoilers in that post)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

Joseph is not really in any way heroic for most of Battle Tendency, and that's even putting aside his whole win-via-cunning element. Watching part one later enriched part two quite considerably, because at the time you have to figure it was a total mindfuck that Araki both killed his likable hero in Jonathan and then also immediately replaced him with a goddamn jerk

That's not entirely true. Obviously he's a bit of a oaf and a brute sometimes, but they establish really early on with Straizo and that woman that behind everything he's still got that gentlemanly urge. He may talk about being unaffected about Straizo killing a woman he's never met, but when it looks like he might actually do it Joseph can't just walk away.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Al-Saqr posted:

No I mean reading an Araraki artbook and seeing them together, not to mention I accidentally saw that ITS IN THE PASTA! *PUNCH* manga panel somewhere and I have no clue what's it about but I'm super excited to find out.

That panel is in the first milisecond of the Part 1 anime opening.
That's what they chose as the "iconic image" of Josuke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Only 90s kids remember:

-Enemy Stand users
-Getting your head caught in a gate after school
-Pompadours
-Oh! That's A Baseball! '96
-Yo, Angelo

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's not entirely true. Obviously he's a bit of a oaf and a brute sometimes, but they establish really early on with Straizo and that woman that behind everything he's still got that gentlemanly urge. He may talk about being unaffected about Straizo killing a woman he's never met, but when it looks like he might actually do it Joseph can't just walk away.

Don't forget that when we first met him, Joseph had just had his wallet stolen by some kid, and after chasing him down, he finds the kid being beaten up and blackmailed by a couple of corrupt cops. Instead of just getting his wallet back and leaving the kid to his fate, he assaults the cops, helps the kid escape and becomes bros with him. Later on, when some racist mafia goon starts raising poo poo over Smokey being allowed in the same restaurant, Joseph proceeds to utterly humiliate the rear end in a top hat in defense of his bro.

He's not a conventional, heroic gentleman like his grandfather was, but Joseph is still a good person who won't tolerate injustice towards those who are unable to defend themselves.

Random aside, what's up with all the Lum avatars suddenly popping up all over the place?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Random aside, what's up with all the Lum avatars suddenly popping up all over the place?

A masked marauder prowls ADTRW, handing out avatars to the weak and the innocent

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/pen__jojo/status/722237041447084033

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I for one welcome our new darling overlords.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

W.T. Fits posted:

Proof of a kind and loving God.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This is a minor point but I really appreciate how they brought back the Stardust Crusaders theme as Jotaro's leitmotif for Diamond is Unbreakable. It does a lot to add that extra touch of familiarity to the show after coming off of Part 3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

guts and bolts posted:

Joseph is not really in any way heroic for most of Battle Tendency, and that's even putting aside his whole win-via-cunning element. Watching part one later enriched part two quite considerably, because at the time you have to figure it was a total mindfuck that Araki both killed his likable hero in Jonathan and then also immediately replaced him with a goddamn jerk

The first thing he does onscreen is cover for the guy who robbed him before beating up three people who decide to harass his new buddy anyway. :psyduck:

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This is a minor point but I really appreciate how they brought back the Stardust Crusaders theme as Jotaro's leitmotif for Diamond is Unbreakable. It does a lot to add that extra touch of familiarity to the show after coming off of Part 3.

Joseph and DIO's themes were also in Episode 3.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The first thing he does onscreen is cover for the guy who robbed him before beating up three people who decide to harass his new buddy anyway. :psyduck:

Joseph and DIO's themes were also in Episode 3.

Yeah, lots of little touches have shown up. Episode 1 had "blow, throwing, reverse play" or whatever.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He has moments of heroism and is certainly not what I'd call an anti-hero or a villain, but it's a stretch to call him strictly heroic, in my view. He is incredibly lazy and has a borderline sociopathic proclivity for extreme selfishness, and seems to get as much enjoyment from winning in smug fashion as he does from doing ~justice.~ Jonathan behaved as if fighting his enemies was a burden that he would bear for the good of the whole, and actively sought out those who would endanger innocents - it's telling as to how heroic Jonathan is that he basically doesn't want to kill Dio out of any sense of vengeance, and only because he thinks Dio will commit atrocities if left unchecked. Joseph, on the other hand, rubs his victories and psychic predictions of their next lines in the faces of his opponents, and is a hero almost in spite of himself. His default seems to be "avoid responsibility and hard work," and it's only when directly confronted with oppression, injustice, or evil that he'll sometimes do something about it. Remembering that he saves Smokey, he also allows everyone close to him to believe he is dead for an extended period, and his closest friends and foils are a homicidal Pillar Man, an Italian fascist, and a robot Nazi. He's perverse, selfish, and lazy, and wins with his head more than his amazing biceps - he is very clearly meant to be a direct contrast to the straight-up heroism that Jonathan illustrates. He's a good person underneath his exterior, rather than just a straight up good person, if that's a meaningful distinction. It arguably makes some of his battles and choices more impressive, since it would appear by all evidence that his instincts are to run away or avoid the problem entirely, and he has to actively will himself into being less of a dick. It's basically the main reason I like Joseph the best - it's probably wrong for me to say he's not really a hero, but compared to Jonathan, he's... not really a hero.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

guts and bolts posted:

Remembering that he saves Smokey, he also allows everyone close to him to believe he is dead for an extended period

Suzie Q had one job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

alcharagia posted:

Suzie Q had one job.

that's why you wind up with Josuke, friends

maybe Tomoko will remember to call Joseph's pals to remind them of him being dead or not dead as circumstances dictate

• Locked thread