Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

That's the one, but it is She not he :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

I've been playing some of Infinity Evolved: Skyblock, and have a couple of issues.

Why are hobbyist steam engines such garbage? They don't output all the RF they're making or even try to until they've been running for like five minutes, and only an external source of steam gets them up to a full 20 rf/t. The best I can get by just feeding them coal/coal coke is 16 rf/t. And I'm not setting up a Railcraft steam boiler just for these things, I'd rather throw them into the void. (Thankfully, I've finally progressed far enough that I can set up a whole mess of IE waterwheels instead for some reliable power.)

How the hell do I make the BC Lasers (for the Assembly table) WORK using an Immersive Engineering Capacitor for energy storage? If I hook them straight up to the engines, they work fine but won't draw power from the capacitor instead. From what I've seen digging into recipes I'm going to need this POS for a lot of machines and I'd rather be able to use proper energy storage.

16 rf/t is pretty drat good for something that uses so little fuel and water, and they're normally pretty cheap too (can't vouch for that modpack). They're supposed to be one of the first engines you make, and are overall the best choice for initial power generation. They're better than EIO stirling generators and TE steam dynamos, that's for sure. Their main issue is that they have to warm up before they start doing anything, but that shouldn't be a huge issue when you're first starting out. I guess if you don't care about fuel efficiency a stirling generator would be more convenient, as it doesn't use water.

I guess it's possible they were nerfed since the last time I used them?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

16 rf/t is pretty drat good for something that uses so little fuel and water, and they're normally pretty cheap too (can't vouch for that modpack). They're supposed to be one of the first engines you make, and are overall the best choice for initial power generation. They're better than EIO stirling generators and TE steam dynamos, that's for sure. Their main issue is that they have to warm up before they start doing anything, but that shouldn't be a huge issue when you're first starting out. I guess if you don't care about fuel efficiency a stirling generator would be more convenient, as it doesn't use water.

we're talking about infinity evolved skyblock, where everything is arbitrarily made harder for its own reason i guess

you need a lot of RF/tick to start automating ore generation/processing and hobbyist engines don't cut it for very long, especially since the buildcraft laser assembly table is like the second piece of tech you have to make

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Like fun they're better that TE steam dynamo. The HSE uses 11 gold, a piston and a piece of Glass to make, while a steam dynamo uses 11 copper and a transmission coil (1 silver ingot). The steam dynamo outputs 80 rf/t and has no lengthy warmup period. A piece of coal probably only lasts 1/2 to 1/3 as long in the steam dynamo but it outputs over 4 times as much RF, and doesn't hold onto power weirdly.

Edit: I should specify that's the normal steam dynamo recipe. I don't know what disaster of a recipe they have in this pack yet.

Serifina fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 16, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

Like fun they're better that TE steam dynamo. The HSE uses 11 gold, a piston and a piece of Glass to make, while a steam dynamo uses 11 copper and a transmission coil (1 silver ingot). The steam dynamo outputs 80 rf/t and has no lengthy warmup period. A piece of coal probably only lasts 1/2 to 1/3 as long in the steam dynamo but it outputs over 4 times as much RF, and doesn't hold onto power weirdly.

Edit: I should specify that's the normal steam dynamo recipe. I don't know what disaster of a recipe they have in this pack yet.

The normal recipe for the HSE uses gold nuggets. Even the gears use gold nuggets.

Also yeah the dynamo provides more RF/t but the hobbyist steam engine provides (or used to provide?) waaaaay more total RF in the long run.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

The normal recipe for the HSE uses gold nuggets. Even the gears use gold nuggets.

Also yeah the dynamo provides more RF/t but the hobbyist steam engine provides (or used to provide?) waaaaay more total RF in the long run.

Nuggets would be MUCH more swallowable. Gold is one of the rarer sieve drops.

The HSE might provide more RF but it's frustrating to get at that power, since it builds up this ridiculous buffer of thousands and thousands of RF before hitting it's peak 16 rf/t output (and maintains roughly 7k rf internally that's basically unusable - it takes like ten minutes for it to output all that when you stop feeding the engine and it starts to empty the buffer). And it takes forever to get to that peak speed, which is annoying. The steam dynamo has neither of these drawbacks, plus is easily upgradable with augments (and if you pipe in external steam, those augments are still used).

What's frustrating is I used to use HSEs back in 1.5.2 as my first power gen and they were never this frustrating. They heated up faster and didn't hang on to power like this (admittedly, they were MJ back then, since RF didn't exist yet). They were usually my primary power until I worked up to TE's magmatic engines.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

i am not there yet but i think it's part of progression to make plutonium in an IC2 reactor :smithfrog:

Yeap, thats right when i gave up. Even after cheating in all the IC2 garbage it was so many steps backwards that it was purely there to waste your time.

Serifina posted:

Nuggets would be MUCH more swallowable. Gold is one of the rarer sieve drops.

The HSE might provide more RF but it's frustrating to get at that power, since it builds up this ridiculous buffer of thousands and thousands of RF before hitting it's peak 16 rf/t output (and maintains roughly 7k rf internally that's basically unusable - it takes like ten minutes for it to output all that when you stop feeding the engine and it starts to empty the buffer). And it takes forever to get to that peak speed, which is annoying. The steam dynamo has neither of these drawbacks, plus is easily upgradable with augments (and if you pipe in external steam, those augments are still used).

What's frustrating is I used to use HSEs back in 1.5.2 as my first power gen and they were never this frustrating. They heated up faster and didn't hang on to power like this (admittedly, they were MJ back then, since RF didn't exist yet). They were usually my primary power until I worked up to TE's magmatic engines.

Im finding that the 3 different ore generators are pretty different. Gold was never a problem for me once i got dust and gravel sifting at the same time.

What i did find was that an automatic sieve with 20 speed upgrades was too fast for a basic pulverisor.

But, add to this, that a lot of my time in the early stage was breeding crops i had a lot of raw materials when i started on my machines.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the best way to feed some autonomous activator sieving set-up in a drip-drip rhythmn from an AE network so that each machine only gets as much as they use? I blocked off 8-grids with one cobblestone to block any other items from entering, and maintaining a buffer of 64 items is fine by me. The problem I encounter is that the ME Interface I have set up spits out way too many items and the item ducts end up FULL of blocks going back and forth because they don't have a destination. What I'm guessing is happening is that the ME interface is checking for a free slot, outputting an item, checking for a free slot again while the item is in transit, outputting another item, etc. Is there an elegant solution?

Edit: oh, I didn't think about using an export bus for each sieving station. I guess that works but is the best option?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

What's the best way to feed some autonomous activator sieving set-up in a drip-drip rhythmn from an AE network so that each machine only gets as much as they use? I blocked off 8-grids with one cobblestone to block any other items from entering, and maintaining a buffer of 64 items is fine by me. The problem I encounter is that the ME Interface I have set up spits out way too many items and the item ducts end up FULL of blocks going back and forth because they don't have a destination. What I'm guessing is happening is that the ME interface is checking for a free slot, outputting an item, checking for a free slot again while the item is in transit, outputting another item, etc. Is there an elegant solution?

Edit: oh, I didn't think about using an export bus for each sieving station. I guess that works but is the best option?

Put "keep this amount" in an interface, then having retrievers grab what they want?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Why would you export out to item ducts? You may as well export out to a chest and then have a servo on the chest dealing with the item ducts. You could use a mini chest that only accepts 1 stack for that.

For me, if i had the AE storage up, i would be using cable to machines not itemduct.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there any tricks for asteroid mining for ilmenite ore in Galacticraft's asteroid belt? I thought a digital miner might just zap up the stuff, but I guess that blocks doesn't have an ore dictionary value. I can't find out any other way to set it up with a digital miner without already happening to have one ilmenite ore block already.

Other than that, I think I have the Galacticraft quests all typed in.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any tricks for asteroid mining for ilmenite ore in Galacticraft's asteroid belt? I thought a digital miner might just zap up the stuff, but I guess that blocks doesn't have an ore dictionary value. I can't find out any other way to set it up with a digital miner without already happening to have one ilmenite ore block already.

Other than that, I think I have the Galacticraft quests all typed in.

Can't you tell the digital miner to look for the block by name? If not just go get an ore block, gosh.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Can't you tell the digital miner to look for the block by name? If not just go get an ore block, gosh.

I can only figure out how to get an ore I do not yet have by using the ore dictionary name. I do not think that ore has an ore dictionary name, or it is not trivial. I could not tell for certain. Say, NEI used to have a developer's tools section that let me turn on showing oredict names. Maybe I can check with WAILA after cheating in and placing one.

Just hunting for one is a problem in the asteroid belt. It was quite an adventure to travel through there!

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Could you use the black list and mine anything that's not junk rock?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Heffer posted:

Could you use the black list and mine anything that's not junk rock?

I think that would end up with him mining his own ship or something?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SugarAddict posted:

I think that would end up with him mining his own ship or something?

I guess you just mine far from the ship.

Does the digital miner accept inversion like that?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Pretty sure you can set minimum radius on the miner, so it doesn't eat your base if you set it up right there.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What level is the Ore at?

Set min and max to be that level range

Activate Silk Touch

Set the OreDict to *

Mine until you get 1 of the ore.

Stop

Turn off silk (It takes WAAAAAAAAAY too much power

put the one ore in the miner as an ItemStack, (reset the levels and remove the * oredict to get other ores in other levels and no more stone/cobble)

Off you go.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Glory of Arioch posted:

ah, skyblocks, my old friend, it's time to screenshot you again

Might as well screenshot my IE:S base so far.

Topside of base. Right now it's a 39x39x39 cyclinder - three 9-high levels below for expansion, with 3-thick levels between each to hide wiring and piping in. The elevator down to those levels is in the center. Eventually I'm planning to make raised platforms/arms off of the cylinder for each main area of magic (Botania, Blood Magic, Witchery, Thaumcraft) as I get to them, and will generally pretty things up. For now, it's just a cylinder though.

The two farms on the right are 9x9 farms growing 10/10/10 eggplant and garlic for power generation. The farm on the top left is 10/10/10 cotton and pumpkins for string/wool and dirt production respectively. The one on the bottom left is just manual tree-farming at the moment since periodic lumberjacking produces more than enough. Eventually I might use that for some of the ore/gem Agricraft crops, but my sieving setup produces enough resources to keep pace with my building right now. Experience bushes line the walkway at the bottom. In the far background is an elevated manual mob farm (needed to cleaver some endermen for heads), and my original spawn point replaced with EnderIO Quite Clear Glass. People who visit say it's a little terrifying when they spawn in. :v:

Down the elevator to level 1, which I'm still working on filling up. In the far background, you can see my wall of storage drawers. On the left you can see the ProjectRed insulated wires I'm using as color-coded floor marking/guides. We'll circle around this floor moving counter-clockwise...

Further to the left, where those floor markings lead to my culinary power gen (purple) and my assembly table (red). Might be hard to see, but the doors are carpenter's garage doors with similarly color-coded glass.

Assembly table room, with 100 lasers. It'd be overkill if not for how much loving power some things in this modpack require.

Culinary generator room. Transfer pipes bring down eggplant and garlic into the cyclic assembler (rationing pipe at the end makes sure only one stack of each at a time, so it doesn't fill up with one or the other). Those get pulled out into the 32 8x culinary generators, which will produce just shy of 10k RF/t if they're all running at once.

Basically turning 180 degrees. Off-screen to the right is an undeveloped quadrant of this floor with my smeltery and various machines like the rock crusher, carpenter, thermionic fabricator, etc. etc. etc., which I'll gradually tear down and place in their own rooms.

To the left/middle, the green lines leading to the eight planned reactor rooms. Just behind that stupid column in the middle is my mass fabricator / replicator setup, which'll be used to pump out iridium plates for AE2, and then extra plutonium and iridium for Big Reactors poo poo down the road probably.

Behind the reactor rooms in the last screen shot is the first half of my planned igneous extruder / recycler setup, to produce scrap for the mass fabricators. 64 recyclers in there right now, plan is to double that.

The fourth quadrant, where my eight IC2 reactors are currently waiting to be rehoused, and various IC2 bullshit is spewn all about. I'll be hiding the machinery to produce quad uranium cells and to process depleted cells back with the recyclers, so the reactors should automatically refill themselves as long as I keep the system topped off with uranium, copper plates, and iron plates. I use this reactor layout I saw on reddit awhile back. It produces 420 EU/t and no heat, so no worrying about bullshit explosions.

Around the corner past my Storage Drawers wall, and behind the culinary gen and assembly table rooms, my cobble gen and auto-sieve setups. Nothing special. Cobble gen is a transfer node with world transfer upgrade, which feeds into resonant pulverizers with 2 speed upgrades and 1 upgrade that voids secondary outputs. The 3 stack produces dust, the 2 stack products sand, and the 1 stack produces gravel. Each line then feeds into its own row of four auto-sieves with 12 speed upgrades and 4 fortune upgrades. The broken ores output into an auto-compressor to combine the broken ores into their respective processable gravel/sand/dusts, which then feed into resonant pulverizer/redstone furnace pairs, again with speed upgrades. The finished, smelted products, as well as the non-ore outputs from the auto-sieves, then feed into that buffer diamond chest. Underneath the floor, more transfer pipes pull the contents of that chest into the storage drawer controller so it goes into my wall.

Once I get the reactors properly moved and hooked into the recycler/mass fab/replicator system, I'll move on to lots of other projects in prep for AE2 while I wait for iridium production. There's no shortage of stuff to work on, both to make sure I can actually get into AE when the iridium's made, and other things -- haven't touched magic at all yet, for example.

Since it'd only been about a month since I'd played IE:E, I mostly knew what to expect. So the two most frustrating things so far have been getting Enderman heads (just unlucky, I guess) and managing to lose TWO jetpacks (one resonant, one flux-infused) because I'm a goddamn idiot.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Digital Miner has a maximum range of 32x32 blocks centred on it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

escalator dropdown posted:

Might as well screenshot my IE:S base so far.

Topside of base. Right now it's a 39x39x39 cyclinder - three 9-high levels below for expansion, with 3-thick levels between each to hide wiring and piping in. The elevator down to those levels is in the center. Eventually I'm planning to make raised platforms/arms off of the cylinder for each main area of magic (Botania, Blood Magic, Witchery, Thaumcraft) as I get to them, and will generally pretty things up. For now, it's just a cylinder though.

The two farms on the right are 9x9 farms growing 10/10/10 eggplant and garlic for power generation. The farm on the top left is 10/10/10 cotton and pumpkins for string/wool and dirt production respectively. The one on the bottom left is just manual tree-farming at the moment since periodic lumberjacking produces more than enough. Eventually I might use that for some of the ore/gem Agricraft crops, but my sieving setup produces enough resources to keep pace with my building right now. Experience bushes line the walkway at the bottom. In the far background is an elevated manual mob farm (needed to cleaver some endermen for heads), and my original spawn point replaced with EnderIO Quite Clear Glass. People who visit say it's a little terrifying when they spawn in. :v:

Down the elevator to level 1, which I'm still working on filling up. In the far background, you can see my wall of storage drawers. On the left you can see the ProjectRed insulated wires I'm using as color-coded floor marking/guides. We'll circle around this floor moving counter-clockwise...

Further to the left, where those floor markings lead to my culinary power gen (purple) and my assembly table (red). Might be hard to see, but the doors are carpenter's garage doors with similarly color-coded glass.

Assembly table room, with 100 lasers. It'd be overkill if not for how much loving power some things in this modpack require.

Culinary generator room. Transfer pipes bring down eggplant and garlic into the cyclic assembler (rationing pipe at the end makes sure only one stack of each at a time, so it doesn't fill up with one or the other). Those get pulled out into the 32 8x culinary generators, which will produce just shy of 10k RF/t if they're all running at once.

Basically turning 180 degrees. Off-screen to the right is an undeveloped quadrant of this floor with my smeltery and various machines like the rock crusher, carpenter, thermionic fabricator, etc. etc. etc., which I'll gradually tear down and place in their own rooms.

To the left/middle, the green lines leading to the eight planned reactor rooms. Just behind that stupid column in the middle is my mass fabricator / replicator setup, which'll be used to pump out iridium plates for AE2, and then extra plutonium and iridium for Big Reactors poo poo down the road probably.

Behind the reactor rooms in the last screen shot is the first half of my planned igneous extruder / recycler setup, to produce scrap for the mass fabricators. 64 recyclers in there right now, plan is to double that.

The fourth quadrant, where my eight IC2 reactors are currently waiting to be rehoused, and various IC2 bullshit is spewn all about. I'll be hiding the machinery to produce quad uranium cells and to process depleted cells back with the recyclers, so the reactors should automatically refill themselves as long as I keep the system topped off with uranium, copper plates, and iron plates. I use this reactor layout I saw on reddit awhile back. It produces 420 EU/t and no heat, so no worrying about bullshit explosions.

Around the corner past my Storage Drawers wall, and behind the culinary gen and assembly table rooms, my cobble gen and auto-sieve setups. Nothing special. Cobble gen is a transfer node with world transfer upgrade, which feeds into resonant pulverizers with 2 speed upgrades and 1 upgrade that voids secondary outputs. The 3 stack produces dust, the 2 stack products sand, and the 1 stack produces gravel. Each line then feeds into its own row of four auto-sieves with 12 speed upgrades and 4 fortune upgrades. The broken ores output into an auto-compressor to combine the broken ores into their respective processable gravel/sand/dusts, which then feed into resonant pulverizer/redstone furnace pairs, again with speed upgrades. The finished, smelted products, as well as the non-ore outputs from the auto-sieves, then feed into that buffer diamond chest. Underneath the floor, more transfer pipes pull the contents of that chest into the storage drawer controller so it goes into my wall.

Once I get the reactors properly moved and hooked into the recycler/mass fab/replicator system, I'll move on to lots of other projects in prep for AE2 while I wait for iridium production. There's no shortage of stuff to work on, both to make sure I can actually get into AE when the iridium's made, and other things -- haven't touched magic at all yet, for example.

Since it'd only been about a month since I'd played IE:E, I mostly knew what to expect. So the two most frustrating things so far have been getting Enderman heads (just unlucky, I guess) and managing to lose TWO jetpacks (one resonant, one flux-infused) because I'm a goddamn idiot.

Wow.

That looks so good i want to do another sky block.

My sky blocks seem to run off in 4 directions, but i rarely get past the planks stage. Though this this recent one i did take to using some decorative cobblestone bricks once i could.

I just really dont like IC2, :/

How is agriaian skies 2 or whatever it is?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
IC2 (and to an only slightly lesser extent, Forestry and Railcraft) is super terrible and it's a mistake to include it in basically any pack. People cling to these old mods because they were largely the first of their kind but they never grew and evolved while all other mods moved ahead. Now they're dated relics of an era before convenient energy management or organized wiring.

I get that a lot of these packs are designed to make the player try out other mods they normally wouldn't play, and sometimes that can help highlight lesser known gems, but a lot of those mods get left out for a good reason.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

IC2 (and to an only slightly lesser extent, Forestry and Railcraft) is super terrible and it's a mistake to include it in basically any pack. People cling to these old mods because they were largely the first of their kind but they never grew and evolved while all other mods moved ahead. Now they're dated relics of an era before convenient energy management or organized wiring.

I get that a lot of these packs are designed to make the player try out other mods they normally wouldn't play, and sometimes that can help highlight lesser known gems, but a lot of those mods get left out for a good reason.

Too true. I'd love to play a pack like IE:E or IE:S that wasn't such a kitchen sink of garbage, I like the idea of amped up difficulty and altered progression but the mods it makes you go through are simply not fun at all. IC2, bees and all their demon spawn, steves mods, etc... It's just not fun at all. I'd even like a pack like that to introduce me to new mods and mechanics, but IC2 and bees and everything else are anything but.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

What level is the Ore at?

Set min and max to be that level range

Activate Silk Touch

Set the OreDict to *

Mine until you get 1 of the ore.

Stop

Turn off silk (It takes WAAAAAAAAAY too much power

put the one ore in the miner as an ItemStack, (reset the levels and remove the * oredict to get other ores in other levels and no more stone/cobble)

Off you go.

I have to actually try it once to see, but it looks like that drat ore is *waaay* too rare. I was hammering through some asteroids and never saw a single one. I might go with my comedy option plan of turning asteroids basically into giant blobs of metal. I'd just put a disclaimer in the quest book that it's not normally this hilarious.

Speaking of all this, I just have to do the wither farm quest and the keystone quest of my "Philadelphia Experiment" chapter where they warp in a small warship and fight its crazed inhabitants. Then I release a new BFSR beta that's actually a beta.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Taffer posted:

Too true. I'd love to play a pack like IE:E or IE:S that wasn't such a kitchen sink of garbage, I like the idea of amped up difficulty and altered progression but the mods it makes you go through are simply not fun at all. IC2, bees and all their demon spawn, steves mods, etc... It's just not fun at all. I'd even like a pack like that to introduce me to new mods and mechanics, but IC2 and bees and everything else are anything but.

I agree in so far as that I wish IE:E/S pulled in some newer or lesser-known mods into the progression rather than IC2e, but IC2e is is the only old/dated mod you really have to get much into. You don't have to touch bees at all. You use the Thermionic Fabricator and Carpenter from Forestry to produce tubes and circuit boards, but you can otherwise ignore it. Buildcraft (assembly table), Railcraft (rock crusher), and Steve's mods (galgadorian) are similarly limited in how much you're required to use them. You're probably going to go much deeper into Immersive Engineering, Tinkers, Agricraft, and Extra Utilities than Forestry, Buildcraft, Railcraft, or Steve's mods, unless you choose to go into them.

Even with IC2, it's... it's bad, but not as bad as I expected going in. You can use Immersive Engineering wiring to power IC2e machines with RF, or IC2e disables the old voltage BS so you can just use whatever IC2 cable safely. The most annoying part of reactors for me is that components don't stack -- it's easy enough to find a zero-heat build to avoid explosions, but crafting and moving multiple 6-chamber reactors is a bitch when the components don't stack. Machines breaking if you don't use an electric wrench is annoying as gently caress. The turning table is a piece of poo poo that I have to wrestle with every time I put it down, but the rest of the machines seem okay?

It mostly suffers in the pack because it basically does the same things that TE and EnderIO do but worse, and nothing especially fun or unique of it's own, but you still have to use it quite a bit in the progression. But on the whole, for me at least, IC2e is less of a punch in the dick than Thaumcraft's going to be, or than I recall Galacticraft being last time I played that.

Obviously not a glowing endorsement of IC2e. Like I said, I wish they'd leaned on other mods for the progression instead, and limited IC2 requirements to a machine or two at most. I dunno. I never played pre-1.6.4, so picking this up and knowing its reputation, I just expected much worse.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hi do any of you have HTC Vives at all?

Because I just played Tekkit Legends in VR.

Then Blightfall (although there is some design issues like there is no way to input text with the Vive controllers, and some aspects of the dialog system don't quite fit right as a floating menu) but holy poo poo, Blightfall in VR. Actually being on the planet surface, actually being in the domes and actually walking around the ship.
We're still testing but it looks like any 1.7.10 Modpack can work with this Vive VR mod.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I was looking at that IC2 reactor setup then I got distracted by a picture of funny steam reviews for crusader kings 2 and a story of someone's son called "without a condom" or something.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

Put "keep this amount" in an interface, then having retrievers grab what they want?

Meskhenet posted:

Why would you export out to item ducts? You may as well export out to a chest and then have a servo on the chest dealing with the item ducts. You could use a mini chest that only accepts 1 stack for that.

For me, if i had the AE storage up, i would be using cable to machines not itemduct.

I'm going through Agrarian Skies 1 so I didn't have either retrievers or mini-chests, but both of those would've been good ideas. AE > machine seems the best bet and I don't have to worry about channels on this version.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I'm going through Agrarian Skies 1 so I didn't have either retrievers or mini-chests, but both of those would've been good ideas. AE > machine seems the best bet and I don't have to worry about channels on this version.

I seem to recall a major bug with connecting AE2 directly to pipes -- like crashing/corrupting poo poo level bug -- but I can't recall the specifics. I think it happened on the OMPi server about a year back, maybe? Anyone that remembers the details and can confirm, or that can disabuse me of an incorrect memory?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Playing agraiian skies 2 on curse (or how ever you spell it)

And here are some of the things i like.

1 Mob spawns. Having some land already set up mean mobs are there at night. They only seem to have half health but i still need to run inside like a little bitch and block up the door way.

2 Mob AI. I set up my crop sticks and put my seeds in. Then ran inside as per item 1. I sat at the window watching 2 normal zombies and an angry zombie then crowd around and stomp the poo poo out of my little farm.

I think the neighbours heard me call them 'You mother fuckers!'

So once i get 8 cobble stone i am making a furnace and putting torches everywhere. Then and only then will i try to farm.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Playing agraiian skies 2 on curse (or how ever you spell it)

And here are some of the things i like.

1 Mob spawns. Having some land already set up mean mobs are there at night. They only seem to have half health but i still need to run inside like a little bitch and block up the door way.

2 Mob AI. I set up my crop sticks and put my seeds in. Then ran inside as per item 1. I sat at the window watching 2 normal zombies and an angry zombie then crowd around and stomp the poo poo out of my little farm.

I think the neighbours heard me call them 'You mother fuckers!'

So once i get 8 cobble stone i am making a furnace and putting torches everywhere. Then and only then will i try to farm.

If you don't enjoy this, try disabling MobGriefing? Not sure if that's what did it for sure though

/gamerule mobGriefing false

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Could be worse, you could be playing Banished or some other modpack with siege AI and stuff. They mine blocks, and they will pillar up to your base, and prioritize your chests over you. Oh yea, and teleporting creepers that spill fire everywhere.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a typical culprit for slow game events updating? Examples of what I'm talking about is mining a block and the game not recognizing that the block was just mined, levers slow to respond, gui (such as ae crafting interface, trash, machines, etc) takes a while to come up. I have a relatively small base in Agrarian Skies 1 with most things built out horizontally (so no MFR machines in the same chunk stacked on top of each other) but the game already CRAWWWLS with updating game events (FPS is totally fine). My system is rather powerful and I have 64-bit java and 4gb of ram allocated to it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

If you don't enjoy this, try disabling MobGriefing? Not sure if that's what did it for sure though

/gamerule mobGriefing false

No im actually enjoying it. It adds a bit of change.

I did just stuff up though. Let water touch my lava source .................... ffffffffffffffffffff

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a typical culprit for slow game events updating? Examples of what I'm talking about is mining a block and the game not recognizing that the block was just mined, levers slow to respond, gui (such as ae crafting interface, trash, machines, etc) takes a while to come up. I have a relatively small base in Agrarian Skies 1 with most things built out horizontally (so no MFR machines in the same chunk stacked on top of each other) but the game already CRAWWWLS with updating game events (FPS is totally fine). My system is rather powerful and I have 64-bit java and 4gb of ram allocated to it.

Tickrate. Generally caused by lots of poo poo doing stuff at the same time. Will happen on single-player a lot with big bases, particularly when you're somewhat CPU-bound. Can potentially be alleviated by running server and client separately on your own machine allowing them to run on separate cores (MC is basically a 1-core game, very little threading to speak of). MC is VERY heavy on the CPU, with pretty low load on the GPU beyond VRAM (holding all those textures takes a lot of space), so client and server will crush a single core and practically leave alone the other cores and GPU that you have.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Meskhenet posted:

Wait until the first time you discover that any time you leave a potential spawn point ANYWHERE, the first enemy to appear will prioritize tearing down all your lighting so that his friends can show up.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Any ideas what I could do for an endoflame feeding tree farm setup on Blightfall? I've done one before but it was a sorta-messy system with about four different golems and a handful of automagi stuff...all because I REALLY did not want to spend any RF Power. I'm wondering if it's possible to create a positive power loop using the Mana to RF block from Botania and routing excess mana to that block.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know how Nether Portals get saved in player data? I am getting random portals all over the place from loading new saves from Lockdown. I assume it's something in the normal player data somewhere, and I can just blast them out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Krakatoah posted:

Any ideas what I could do for an endoflame feeding tree farm setup on Blightfall? I've done one before but it was a sorta-messy system with about four different golems and a handful of automagi stuff...all because I REALLY did not want to spend any RF Power. I'm wondering if it's possible to create a positive power loop using the Mana to RF block from Botania and routing excess mana to that block.

A lumberjack golem should be the only golem you need for a no-RF charcoal farm. Use a hopperhock to collect logs and saplings into two barrels, a rannuncarpus adjacent to the sapling barrel to to replant saplings, an itemduct from the log barrel going into an open crate or dropper above an infernal furnace to convert logs to charcoal, use a hungry chest or another hopperhock to collect the charcoal, and pipe it to the redstone-controlled charcoal autodropper of your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Krakatoah posted:

Tree farm > infernal furnace for free charcoal > open crate > endoflames > mana > RF

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718099&pagenumber=74&perpage=40#post449234518