Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, here are the two screenshots I have; the wierdest thing is that the video where Anri is there, did everything exactly the same as me, yet my ending didn't show her there.

ENDING SPOILERS: http://imgur.com/a/6M3Y2

There is a possible explanation, but it's also probably a glitch and has nothing to do with lore. The Sable Church of Londor, of which Yuria and Yoel are part of, has three founders and teachers, of which Yuria is one, they all serve Kaathe. There are three figures in those screenshots different from the rest. It could be that those are all three mentors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

TheTrend posted:

Yeah, I realize none of the variations on the lightning attacks seem very good, but they look cool as gently caress and aesthetics combined with trolling my friends in co-op by hucking cool as gently caress no damage lightning attacks really appeals to me.

before i picked this title up, i decided all i wanted to do in the mid-endgame was my usual shtick of dressing in pope clothes/mitre and throwing miracles so i am keenly aware how much it sucks not being able to really do it like in DS1/2. lightning stake does a fuuuuucking shitload of damage though so if you stacked faith to like 60 and wore the two miracle rings + lightning clutch ring you could probably do 900+ damage blasts below SL80 if you are really careful about your points and maybe respec for maximum efficiency.

lightning blade is really goddamn good though, so even on a pure pope build you could wield a +10 raw broadsword and put lightning blade on it to melee for a really stupid amount of damage. it just sucks at the game's outset

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, I never really got the impression sorcery was ever really any good in Dark Souls. Every time I tried it, even with high INT, the damage was never really as good as it seemed it should have been because of the high cast times and limited casts compared to miracles or especially pyromancy. Or even just compared to smacking something with a sword.

sorcery was absolutely bonkers in DS1. throw everything into int and cast power within, blow up everything in like 2-3 hits. it was a one-trick pony, and that trick was erasing the bosses and ignoring everything interesting about them or making people's eyes bug out when you got summoned for co-op

Luceid fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 19, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

:stare:

oh my god, it's glorious

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pontiff took me four tries. What a boss, holy poo poo.

Also, thank you, Astora Greatsword buffs. I'm pretty sure I saw like a 600-damage counter-hit in there for the final hit, so that felt pretty nice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gologle posted:

There is a possible explanation, but it's also probably a glitch and has nothing to do with lore. The Sable Church of Londor, of which Yuria and Yoel are part of, has three founders and teachers, of which Yuria is one, they all serve Kaathe. There are three figures in those screenshots different from the rest. It could be that those are all three mentors.

That doesn't really answer anything though. If it were a glitch pertaining to what you describe you would expect the alternative figure to be a third woman dressed like Yuria. But no, it's either a random Hollow or Anri. Neither variation is even close to that.

One possible interpretation is that as Lord of Hollows by absorbing Anri's Dark Sigils you made her just a "normal" Undead. The Sable Church of Londor promises salvation to Hollows in particular, is that what they mean when they ask you to make Londor whole? They want you to use the stolen First Flame to bear the weight of all Hollows' sigils? Like some kind of hosed up zombie Jesus? I dunno, Anri being alive makes the whole thing beg a lot more questions.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 19, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Mound Makers is super fun. Get a red phantom's trust as you work together to defeat the host, until you see an opportunity to stab 'em in the back and get what you need (assuming you only have one phantom left to kill)

It makes me feel like an even bigger rear end in a top hat than regular invading and killing some dude trying to PvE does though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So, Demon's Greataxe or the Demon's Fist? I got the stats to use the latter right now, but I have a fondness for axes.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

SL20-30 is bonkers for Blue Sentiels and Farron Watchdogs, instant summons.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lotish posted:

So, Demon's Greataxe or the Demon's Fist? I got the stats to use the latter right now, but I have a fondness for axes.

Demon's Fist is super fun. It's basically this game's dual cestus, it becomes two fists when you double hand it it has the spin attack for it's weapon arts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ah. I see.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Oblivious posted:

That doesn't really answer anything though. If it were a glitch pertaining to what you describe you would expect the alternative figure to be a third woman dressed like Yuria. But no, it's either a random Hollow or Anri. Neither variation is even close to that.

One possible interpretation is that as Lord of Hollows by absorbing Anri's Dark Sigils you made her just a "normal" Undead. The Sable Church of Londor promises salvation to Hollows in particular, is that what they mean when they ask you to make Londor whole? They want you to use the stolen First Flame to bear the weight of all Hollows' sigils? Like some kind of hosed up zombie Jesus? I dunno, Anri being alive makes the whole thing beg a lot more questions.

I really don't think it's Anri. You kind of stab a sword into her skull.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's the Profaned Greatsword?

I'm already absolutely loving the Astora Greatsword so I'm not necessarily in the market for a new weapon. That said, it looks really cool, I love the charged fire R2s and the ability to temporarily self-buff, and I haven't spent any Titanite Scales on anything yet. Pretty sure the only other weapon I'm saving scales for on this character is the Dragonslayer Swordspear and that's still a ways away.

Also! I got summoned as a Blue Sentinel in Irithyll! It was a Soulsmas miracle.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Its how they say "I love you" in Astoia.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
God this game is pretty

So i've rescued onionman from the well, and patches is in my firelink after he trapped me. Am I safe to send greirat off to iceland?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can I just murder Anri and Horace when I first see them to get access to their armour?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So now that I beat the game I have some lore questions;

-The Deep; was this in either of the previous games? It seems different from the abyss at least. I don't remember anything like it before.
-When you go through Lothric castle, there are huge emaciated monsters descending upon the castle from above. When you fight Dragonslayer Armour, they bombard you with attacks during phase 2. Yet I never found out what the hell they are or why they were there. What's the deal with them?
-For that matter, what is the deal with Dragonslayer Armour? I have no idea why its there or how, and what it has to do with the aforementioned monsters that seem to empower it.
-Everything about the Consumed King. He seems completely random, as I must have missed his lore.

This reddit post will come in handy for you. https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4e9j66/lets_talk_lore_compendium/

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So how does upgrading the shrine handmaiden's store work? Where do I find the ashes I need to get her to sell me better stuff?

Edit: And since you brought up lore, where can I go to learn the Souls world's backstory. I've played the past few games but never REALLY dug into them. So the story is bit lost on me

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nuebot posted:

The figure is wearing Elite Knight Armor. Only one person wears that in the narrative. Furthermore, she/he is undead. They are known to get over trivialities like that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So many dead ends in this game.

Where to go after the Twin Princes?

Wonderful though DS3 is I do kinda want to get it knocked out tonight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

So many dead ends in this game.

Where to go after the Twin Princes?

Wonderful though DS3 is I do kinda want to get it knocked out tonight.

You have all the Lords, now fulfill your duty.

Put them on the chairs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BigRed0427 posted:

So how does upgrading the shrine handmaiden's store work? Where do I find the ashes I need to get her to sell me better stuff?

Edit: And since you brought up lore, where can I go to learn the Souls world's backstory. I've played the past few games but never REALLY dug into them. So the story is bit lost on me

You get a menu option when you talk to her to give her "umbral ash" and select the ash to give her and whatever that ash unlocks, it will be in her inventory from then on in. They're found in the world or from killing other vendor NPCs so you're not completely locked out from buying stuff.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

You have all the Lords, now fulfill your duty.

Put them on the chairs.

:confused:

I killed the princes, I have no idea where the king is at

Do I have to kill Ludleth next? Kinda seems to be the implication...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do backstabs work?

Do I just need to be in a certain position behind someone an R1, or do I have to stagger/stun them like in BB?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

The king is an optional boss that you can find if you go up the ladder after the Dancer and then head left.

But Lothric was the final Lord of Cinder and if you just want to beat the game, you have everything you need already.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr Dog posted:

Go back to fire link shrine is what they meant.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How do backstabs work?

Do I just need to be in a certain position behind someone an R1, or do I have to stagger/stun them like in BB?

Come at their backs from about 20-30 degrees off of the center. Once you do it a few times, you'll just get a feel for it. No need to stagger or stun (though you can, for free ripostes).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still don't understand, is my game bugged? I caved and co-opped that boss fight and I only got a regular Heir of Fire soul for my trouble. Maybe one other thing but I don't remember what it was. I have no option to place anything on the topmost throne.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

This is neat, and all the talk of the deep is really making me hope they're setting up another spiritual sequel or something that takes place in a more aquatic setting full of horrible deep sea monsters

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game sure likes it's two-part bosses. I feel like it's a little cheap. "Hey, deplete TWO health bars instead of just one!" but...oh well.

The summoning in the optional area is broken as poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

I still don't understand, is my game bugged? I caved and co-opped that boss fight and I only got a regular Heir of Fire soul for my trouble. Maybe one other thing but I don't remember what it was. I have no option to place anything on the topmost throne.

Check your key items.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Advice needed: I'm worried my Fire Estoc may be overstaying its usefulness at this point based on my stats, and the toughness of enemies (I'm up against Aldrich right now and feel like I just can't keep pace with the fight). My intent was to use early fire advantage and eventually switch it to Sharp or Refined. In the interest of trying some other weapons along the way I've got 20 STR and 20 DEX, so I'm pretty much settled that Refined is the way to go. I've already put all my Chunks into the Estoc, it's at +7 giving me 142 Phys & Fire damage ratings. If I go Refined now (with my only Ref gem) I switch to 160+79 with the double C scaling added. I know the reality of the larger damage ratings on elemental weapons is generally less indicative of the actual output due to double resisting and all that. With my 20/20 stats, would I expect to see much swing in my output should I make the change? Or will it be likely comparable until I get my stats up higher?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smouldering Lake isn't Ash Lake is it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game sure likes it's two-part bosses. I feel like it's a little cheap. "Hey, deplete TWO health bars instead of just one!" but...oh well.

The summoning in the optional area is broken as poo poo.

I think all these two phase bosses are fine when the second phase builds off the first rather than being something entirely new. Most of them are like that, but Nameless King is not. His first phase is completely different from the second one so you have to learn two different fights, and any time you gently caress up the second you have to slog through the first one. And the first one is REALLY loving BAD :regd09:

RBA Starblade posted:

Smouldering Lake isn't Ash Lake is it?

Like many zones, its an amalgamation of areas from the past two games. Smouldering Lake appears to incorporate elements of Ash Lake, Tomb of Giants, Undead Crypt, and Lost Izalith.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Internet Kraken posted:

So now that I beat the game I have some lore questions;

-The Deep; was this in either of the previous games? It seems different from the abyss at least. I don't remember anything like it before.

One explanation is that it's a mistranslation of Abyss, but aldritch's boss soul makes reference to the deep Sea, so that's probably going to matter at some point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chaos rhames posted:

One explanation is that it's a mistranslation of Abyss, but aldritch's boss soul makes reference to the deep Sea, so that's probably going to matter at some point.

No way is it a mistranslation. The thing that makes it stand out as different from the Abyss is that Aldrich and the Deacons have souls that are tinged dark blue. Abyssal souls are black and purple.

The Deep seems to have similar properties as the Abyss, but the main thing worth noting is that unlike the Abyss the Deep wasn't inherently harmful. It was twisted by being the dumping ground for countless horrors that festered inside of it. The Abyss was bad news from the start.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 19, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a DLC thing then? I just thought the Deep was another term for the Dark, as we've gotten to the point where it is quite freely harnassed, as opposed to being oppressed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Check your key items.

Oh. I was standing in the wrong place for the prompt to come up. Alright let's check this out

:popcorn:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The first part of the N.K. fight was giving me serious motion sickness until I leveled up a bow and shot at him from far away. That phase has so little health and staggers so easily it works fine.

Fighting in the Abyss in DS1 was confusing but the N.K.'s arena is a nightmare.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Like many zones, its an amalgamation of areas from the past two games. Smouldering Lake appears to incorporate elements of Ash Lake, Tomb of Giants, Undead Crypt, and Lost Izalith.

That's pretty cool! In fact it's as cool as Wolnir is lovely. What kind of boss fight was that? The first time I get him to a third health then he instant kills me, the second time he attacks twice then falls over dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yhorm is the worst bossfight in the game because it's a such a loving waste

no i don't care about the callback