Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

going back to spinning platters after an ssd is like going back to condoms

so accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

theflyingexecutive posted:

going back to spinning platters after an ssd is like going back to condoms

idgi

mishaq posted:

made this more yospos appropriate

oooooh

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
-2/10, super low effort stymie

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

safer, less expensive and not noticeably different unless you're an rear end in a top hat?

sounds about right

VVV viz. VVV

youre full of poo poo most of the time stymie but this is the worst attempt yet

switching to ssd was the single most performance enhancing upgrade I've ever made in my entire computing history

get banned you mother fuckin' piece of poo poo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
stymie only likes spinning platter drives because they're Doing Labour

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
the ethernet getting toasted on my lab mac at work landed me a replacement with a fusion drive but otherwise identical specs, boots in 1/4th the time. best cascading electrical fault 2015, would deal with again.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i was looking at new macs the other day and was surprised many still come with HDDs.

also im pretty sure users can't replace hard drives on any of them without voiding your warranty and the only mac left where you can upgrade ram yourself is 27 inch retna imac, and thats just because it hasn't been refreshed as recently as the 21.5 inch

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Puppy Galaxy posted:

i was looking at new macs the other day and was surprised many still come with HDDs.

also im pretty sure users can't replace hard drives on any of them without voiding your warranty and the only mac left where you can upgrade ram yourself is 27 inch retna imac, and thats just because it hasn't been refreshed as recently as the 21.5 inch

With M.2 sockets becoming standard and small SSDs dirt cheap I'm hoping that hybrid setups become baseline but manufacturers always want to shave $20 of their bottom line so that will probably never happen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Puppy Galaxy posted:

none of the laptops come with spinning hard drives now. no Apple computers come with optical drives.

you can update the ram on the Mac mini, 27" iMac, and Mac Pro. so every desktop they make besides the 21" iMac has upgradable ram. laptops have no user-serviceable parts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Management posted:

none of the laptops come with spinning hard drives now. no Apple computers come with optical drives.

you can update the ram on the Mac mini, 27" iMac, and Mac Pro. so every desktop they make besides the 21" iMac has upgradable ram. laptops have no user-serviceable parts

mac mini went to LPDDR to shave off watts (same stuff that's in phones) a few years ago and its not socketed so upgrading is out there now.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

The Management posted:

you can update the ram on the Mac mini

pretty sure it's soldered down on the 2014 model mini.

kinda surprised Apple hasn't tried using firmware locks to do their configure to order Macs given they've killed almost all user serviceability.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

mac mini went to LPDDR to shave off watts (same stuff that's in phones) a few years ago and its not socketed so upgrading is out there now.

aw, that sucks.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

youre full of poo poo most of the time stymie but this is the worst attempt yet

switching to ssd was the single most performance enhancing upgrade I've ever made in my entire computing history

get banned you mother fuckin' piece of poo poo

you, of all people, should know the value of using condoms

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Stymie posted:

you, of all people, should know the value of using condoms

quoting stymie because lmao

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

fav apple map goof: "drive over this concrete barrier, down a horse trail, and 3km along this river"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

sorry i dont have a lifted snorkel hilux, try an actual road.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

none of the laptops come with spinning hard drives now

actually,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a 5400 rpm hard drive in tyool 2016? wtf is this acer tier bullshit?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lol at that poverty tier "MBP" when for $200 more you can actually join the dance

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
tbf it was pretty shameful of Apple to knock the ssd portion of the 1tb fusion drive to 24gb.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
that mac is the 4 cylinder Jaguar of macs

you buy it because you want to be seen riding a jag. have no idea what a jag is. or why. just wanna have one. also, is there a 'Rollex' jag from china? no? ok ill get that MBP then you did say it was a macbook PRO yes? ok sold

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

you can put an ssd in that mac if you want, the hard drive is easily serviceable

i have a 2011 macbook pro with an ssd in it, very needs suiting

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I tried using Preview today to mark up an image with text / arrows. It was a miserable experience and that app is a total piece of poo poo.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

On an OS that specifically refuses to add touchscreen capability, the "default" way to add an arrow is to select the draw tool and then attempt to physically draw a representation of an arrow with your mouse / touchpad and hope it gets noticed and auto-changed to a "real" arrow. Tim please fire whoever is responsible for this abortion

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Also if you add multiple text boxes by clicking on the text icon, the first is centered and then each successive one is lower down the image until it literally scrolls off the canvas and you can no longer see or move or edit it. This is sub Microsoft shameful poo poo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ahmeni posted:

actually,

this is the joke Mac for education, how were you even able to find it in their site? it's literally 5 years old and has a hard drive and optical drive.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
how do I block all ios updates on my new iphone

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

replace it with a trash android phone for idiots

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Amethyst posted:

log out of your account.

do this on your phone too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Amethyst posted:

using your incredible powers of deception, tap install later when prompted, then don't install them

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

using your incredible powers of deception, tap install later when prompted, then don't install them

the nag screen pops up daily. i'd rather not deal with this

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

throw it in the trash and buy a android, they never get updates

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

this is the joke Mac for education, how were you even able to find it in their site? it's literally 5 years old and has a hard drive and optical drive.

its just at the bottom of the entries for the macbooks pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well it's too late for you now, but if you return it and get a new one, just turn off cellular data and wifi, it will never retrieve an update

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
my assumption is that they're there entirely as a PR option to satisfy the people rattling the chains of apple tax when it turns out good hardware just costs money

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ahmeni posted:

my assumption is that they're there entirely as a PR option to satisfy the people rattling the chains of apple tax when it turns out good hardware just costs money

apple doesn't care about those idiots. someone must be buying these things. I'm guessing it's stupid bureaucratic institutions that standardized on some spec and won't be able to wrap their minds around SSDs for another decade. hence education.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Management posted:

apple doesn't care about those idiots. someone must be buying these things. I'm guessing it's stupid bureaucratic institutions that standardized on some spec and won't be able to wrap their minds around SSDs for another decade. hence education.

a few years ago they were ok if you needed more than 128GB of storage space

these days it's probably just higher margins

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

please don't lie to your phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it's incredibly fail you can't disable the nag screen. oh well I guess windows 10 style nag screens are the future

• Locked thread