Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

im gaye posted:

Do folks here actually have a favorite horror movie? And I mean the desert-island-just-pick-one variety.

For the desert island test I'd pick Tremors, because I'd need something to cheer me up.

Otherwise, I'd say Tetsuo: The Iron Man. I love it, but I'm not going to watch it more than a couple times in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

im gaye posted:

Do folks here actually have a favorite horror movie? And I mean the desert-island-just-pick-one variety.

Probably The Evil Dead(1981) but Carnival of Souls (1962) or The Haunting(1963) or Alien or Possession or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) or The Thing (1982) or Suspiria would all be contenders if I actually had to pick one.

I'm not good at picking just one thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I were really forced to only watch one horror movie for the rest of my life, it would have to be something I could watch for more than just the scares, because that goes away after so many viewings. I'd probably chose something like The Shining, because of the visuals, the performances, and the overall Kubrick style.

John Carpenter is my favorite horror director by far, but I could never choose just one of his movies as my favorite. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch The Fog, sometimes Halloween, sometimes The Thing.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I know I said Return of the Living Dead already, but The Fog has to come with me too or the captors taking me to the deserted island can just shoot me on the spot

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
The Invitation was dope as hell and I didn't find anything about the end out of place with the rest of the film. The friends joke throughout the entire film that they're in a "cult" but everyone refuses to accept the implications of this out of politeness (besides Claire). I mean, creepy bald dude who chills in the corner the whole evening reveals he murdered his wife but no one wants to make things "uncomfortable". That's the general theme I got from the movie, that these things that aren't so pleasant, that are uncomfortable, well they're a part of reality and if you ignore them you do so at your own peril. The cultists don't want to feel pain anymore so they accept this entire belief system where they get to opt out of things like grief. The bougie friends don't want to accept that their hosts are in an insane cult and everything about their evening is extremely odd and points to something sinister at foot. This movie was loving awesome.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

im gaye posted:

Kubrick's The Shining with the Dawn of the Dead remake coming in a close second.

"Wanna hear something that really sucks? You guys know that, that chick at Dairy Queen?"

"The fat one?"

"Yeah. She was coming over tonight, I woulda tapped that poo poo for sure."

"Bart, dude, everybody's dead, okay? Your mom's dead, your brother's dead, that fat chick at Dairy Queen? Dead."

"Yeah, that sucks too."

HELL IS OVERFLOWING AND SATAN IS SENDING HIS DEAD TO US

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Another vote for The Thing. Still remains super tense even after rewatching, which is impressive.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Seven's probably my #1. It's so well shot and well constructed, and has so many memorable scenes in it - and not just the deaths. The car conversation is one of my favorite scenes ever, and the dinner scene is a nice rare moment of levity. Even on a rewatch, you know what the characters don't, so it's that much more tense.

Cart posted:

Oh, and sorry - Claire's definitely dead
I figured, considering the premise. But you never know without confirmation. No scream, no car crash, no blood on Pruitt, and he came back in pretty quickly. Still, you're probably right. The film works more on implications than anything else.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

im gaye posted:

28 Days Later, no question.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hmmmm.

I'd put The Thing, The Evil Dead (original), Suspiria, The Exorcist, and Videodrome in a sack, shake it up real good, and whoever came out alive would be the victor!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've never seen Suspiria, I need to remedy that...

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

sethsez posted:

I can't take Tim Lucas.

I'm on the other side of the fence completely. For most movies he's done a commentary for, I had one level of appreciation for it before I listened to his commentary and a much higher level afterward. It is true that his encyclopedic knowledge leads to some really esoteric trivia, but he also often ties it together somehow. For example, he often recommends other films to watch with the same smaller role actors in them that he thinks are good and I've found a lot of good films this way. He also helped me recognize a lot of things in Bava films I hadn't noticed before, like some of the more subtle uses of his famous lighting techniques and how his films influenced others.

im gaye posted:

That would be Race With The Devil for me. If I'm going to be trapped on a desert island, I want Warren Oates, Peter Fonda, and Hot Lips Houlihan to be with me.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 17, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is Pieces any good?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Yaws posted:

Is Pieces any good?

It is a wonderful and terrible thing.

(It's exactly what you think it is!)

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

InfiniteZero posted:

Tim Lucas stuff

Yeah, I'm with you on Lucas and have also found alot of films because of him referencing them on his commentaries. Have you ever read his Bava book?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Decided to throw on Trick r Treat tonight since it's been close to a decade since I've seen it. I forgot how fun and indulgent it is!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

im gaye posted:

No big surprise, it's Videodrome for me.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Darthemed posted:

No big surprise, it's Videodrome for me.

Probably the one I'd go for, too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Yaws posted:

Is Pieces any good?

Pieces is one of my favourite movies. It's lurid, ridiculous, and fun as hell. It's a sloppy, gory, beautiful mess of a film.

PIECES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWA2IYrKlk

I would especially recommend watching this film with a fun group of people. I've had great success with it this way.

Also, there is almost no movie that exists that wouldn't be better if it ended like Pieces does.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Depending on my mood, the desert island test is either Ichi the Killer or Night Breed. Ironic that both are only horror by association, for different reasons.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

So I hooked up my VCR again and I'm wondering what essential vhs only (or prohibitively expensive on disc) horror I might have to track down. I also got a tape of Popcorn at the thrift store, which is cool.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I love my Texas Chainsaw Massacre in all formats, but my mental visual of it is and always will be of an incredibly grainy image of Leatherface chasing Sally under a blue moon hue. It's a wonderful vhs experience.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm on the other side of the fence completely. For most movies he's done a commentary for, I had one level of appreciation for it before I listened to his commentary and a much higher level afterward. It is true that his encyclopedic knowledge leads to some really esoteric trivia, but he also often ties it together somehow. For example, he often recommends other films to watch with the same smaller role actors in them that he thinks are good and I've found a lot of good films this way. He also helped me recognize a lot of things in Bava films I hadn't noticed before, like some of the more subtle uses of his famous lighting techniques and how his films influenced others.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, when he's on point he can be extremely interestings, but it feels like 70% of his commentaries are tangentially-related trivia. His commentaries for Blood and Black Lace and Bay of Blood are particularly bad about this, which is pretty amazing considering how incredibly groundbreaking both of those films are. It's almost as if the more moving parts a film has, the more distracted he gets from the film itself. They're always fine as general-purpose lectures about European genre fiction (learning about actor histories, getting recommendations for other films, etc), but I'm not convinced they always function as particularly great commentaries for the individual films themselves. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a commentary.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
In case anybody missed it: John Carpenter's Lost Themes II is available now and is dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLMCog_4sAI

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I really liked Hush, but because the entire thing takes place at night in a house without power, I couldn't see a loving thing in some scenes even with the TV brightness maxed out. Like, I have no idea what she wrote on the window in her blood

Definitely agree with whoever said it would make a gear double feature with You're Next.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Aggro posted:

I really liked Hush, but because the entire thing takes place at night in a house without power, I couldn't see a loving thing in some scenes even with the TV brightness maxed out. Like, I have no idea what she wrote on the window in her blood

Definitely agree with whoever said it would make a gear double feature with You're Next.

I think something may be wrong with your TV... she was literally shining a light through the blood to make it visible.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I think something may be wrong with your TV... she was literally shining a light through the blood to make it visible.

Yeah, it's very legible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some people watch televisions with hosed up brightness or contrast settings for years without every noticing anything is wrong.

Not quite on the same level as my grandfather though. He had HD service for several years and regularly talked about how great it was. But when we went over there and hung out for a while it turned out he'd been watching the non-HD channels and had never discovered the part of the dial that included the HD stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

In case anybody missed it: John Carpenter's Lost Themes II is available now and is dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLMCog_4sAI

Thank you for reminding me about this!

I also received my Bride of Re-Animator special edition. Officially a good day.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just got back from another Baskin viewing, the pillar of salt and rape gets a cup of whisky.

The giant fingers bit.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Aggro posted:

Like others said it must be a problem with your screen because it was definitely very visible. Using her lipstick she wrote something like "Please go away won't say anything didn't see your face boyfriend coming over soon" or something like that

I've definitely seen some movies that were so dark that they were a pain to watch. What was that movie that came out like a year or two ago about the little girl who was abused by her parents and then went on to murder other kids and her very nice non-abusive foster parents? It was Irish or Welsh or something. THAT was, in addition to being thematically very dark, literally very dark.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Whispering Machines posted:

Like others said it must be a problem with your screen because it was definitely very visible. Using her lipstick she wrote something like "Please go away won't say anything didn't see your face boyfriend coming over soon" or something like that

I saw all that. The scene I was thinking of was toward the end. I rewatched the scene in a darkened room and it says COWARD.

Watching The Witch now. So far the most horrifying thing is the thought of living as a Puritan in the 18th century.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Basebf555 posted:

Some people watch televisions with hosed up brightness or contrast settings for years without every noticing anything is wrong.

Not quite on the same level as my grandfather though. He had HD service for several years and regularly talked about how great it was. But when we went over there and hung out for a while it turned out he'd been watching the non-HD channels and had never discovered the part of the dial that included the HD stuff.

In a similar vein my Brother-in-law was talking up his SKY-HD service only for me to take a look at it and discover it had been connected via Scart rather than HDMI.

He had no idea...

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Aggro posted:

I saw all that. The scene I was thinking of was toward the end. I rewatched the scene in a darkened room and it says COWARD.

Watching The Witch now. So far the most horrifying thing is the thought of living as a Puritan in the 18th century.

Ahhh okay I had forgotten that part.

The VVVVitch was 1630s I think. Even shittier time period to live in. :(

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The new Texas Chainsaw 2 blu ray is amazing looking and has a bundle of cool new features plus all the old ones on top of it, including the 90 minute making of feature that was on the previous release. It's awesome and cool and worth your 20 bucks. So build ya a lil fryhouse and buy it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What are peoples' thoughts on Texas Chainsaw? I just watched a review on Youtube that touted it as being on par with TCM2, and better than any other remake that's come out.

But at the same time I don't want to waste an hour and a half.

BUT, at the same time, I love everything TCM and will probably watch it anyway.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

What are peoples' thoughts on Texas Chainsaw? I just watched a review on Youtube that touted it as being on par with TCM2, and better than any other remake that's come out.

But at the same time I don't want to waste an hour and a half.

BUT, at the same time, I love everything TCM and will probably watch it anyway.

If that's the one that was also marketed as Texas Chainsaw 3D, it's really, really bad. So bad that even Alexandra Daddario couldn't distract me from it's shittiness.

edit: Anyone got a good suggestion for a double-bill to go with Baskin?

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 22, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Quote-Unquote posted:

If that's the one that was also marketed as Texas Chainsaw 3D, it's really, really bad. So bad that even Alexandra Daddario couldn't distract me from it's shittiness.

That's the one. Shucks.

I think I'm the only person who liked the 2003 TCM remake. It didn't feel anything like the original, but it was fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

COOL CORN posted:

It's nowhere near as funny as TCM2 so I have no idea what that's referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

edit: Anyone got a good suggestion for a double-bill to go with Baskin?

Hellraiser, Event Horizon, and City of the Living Dead would all work pretty well.

Alternative suggestion: Mulholland Drive