Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What a wonderful kit the Zaku Cannon is. I love how many differences there are from the Zaku II, from the head sculpt to the shoulder shield to the way the cockpit hatch functions, there are so many great little touches. The "big gun" twin-linked cannons are really slick, the kit holds them with ease and they can even fold back to be stored in a natural-looking way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
That looks pretty rad.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
How much of a gimmick is the LED gimmick? I'm working on the MG Gundam The Origin and it's the first time I've had the option. Is it worth the 8 or 9 bucks to have it maybe look cool when I switch it on or should I stick to the sticker eyes?

Also, can anyone help me figure out what's going on here?

A26 is a clear piece. Are they saying that I can put the sticker on the "inside" instead of up front if I want the LED to shine through?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

zelah posted:

How much of a gimmick is the LED gimmick? I'm working on the MG Gundam The Origin and it's the first time I've had the option. Is it worth the 8 or 9 bucks to have it maybe look cool when I switch it on or should I stick to the sticker eyes?

A26 is a clear piece. Are they saying that I can put the sticker on the "inside" instead of up front if I want the LED to shine through?

Looks like that's what they're going after, yeah.

And LEDs look cool, but are 110% not worth the effort of taking it half apart to turn it on for a few minutes. Things like the PGs, where the switch is on the outside, are a lot better about it than the little discs.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, LEDs look cool but they are extremely finnicky, when you get them turned on they're still quite likely to flicker uncontrollably, and the batteries drain too fast to display them with the effect on anyhow.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
current gunpla status

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Looks like that's what they're going after, yeah.

And LEDs look cool, but are 110% not worth the effort of taking it half apart to turn it on for a few minutes. Things like the PGs, where the switch is on the outside, are a lot better about it than the little discs.

The Jesta, at least, lets you get at the switch petty easy. 30 seconds of work, give or take.

Better if the switch was outside, but not too bad.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

zelah posted:

This guy sells the little led disc for 5 bucks free shipping. It's pretty easy to put into the MG, and it looks cool.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/161845207970

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HLJ is trying to clear out their stock of G-Reco kits, so they've got huge sales on a bunch of stuff.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BlitzBlast posted:

HLJ is trying to clear out their stock of G-Reco kits, so they've got huge sales on a bunch of stuff.

Do they have that giant back pack add on for the G self? I've been thinking of getting that bit I dont feel like dropping 40 bucks for it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They have it, but it's not on the sale.

Looking at the exact list, "a bunch of stuff" is overselling it. That's the last time I take that friend at his word. :argh:

On Sale:
1. G-Self
2. G-Arcane
3. Elf Bullock
4. Montero
5. Jahannam Spaec Type (Klim's and Regular)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

They have it, but it's not on the sale.

Looking at the exact list, "a bunch of stuff" is overselling it. That's the last time I take that friend at his word. :argh:

On Sale:
1. G-Self
2. G-Arcane
3. Elf Bullock
4. Montero
5. Jahannam Spaec Type (Klim's and Regular)

I reviewed all of those a while back.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=162&perpage=40#post446665361

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=243&perpage=40#post454809397

In fact, I did the rest of the non-P-Bandai G-Reco kits as well:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=275&perpage=40#post457399169

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 18, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the best/most recent version of the Alex? Always really liked that design.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of reviews, I completed my next batch of IBO kits. Courtesy link to my reviews of the first set.

Here's the rundown:

The Graze Custom is, again, another Graze, so there's not much more to say about the design. Same number of stickers, same ease of application, same engineering. The most obvious departure is that giant bazooka cannon from MS Option Set 2. Like all MS Option Set items, it's made of monochrome plastic, but this particular bit is pretty much show-accurate in its colour scheme anyway - the only difference is that the shoulder plating (outside of the sliding track) should be dark green rather than grey. It's a simple, sturdy piece of kit that causes remarkably few balance problems for what it is, and that's pretty much it. Two small things to note. First, the bulked-up shoulder inhibits the arm's outward mobility, meaning you can't hold it as far out to the side as you could with the regular Graze shoulder armour (or the standard Graze Custom shoulder, which is a slightly different shape but cradles the arm in pretty much the same way). Second, while I didn't try it myself, the sliding peg that attaches the gun to the shoulder also advertises itself as being able to hold the Graze shield from MS Option Set 1. So that's an extra customisation option for you to try if you want.

The Hyakuren, as others have noted, forgoes the inner-frame gimmick of the Grazes and Gundams. It is, instead, a traditional modern HG, but it's a very good HG, solidly-built and poseable with a myriad of equipment options (and the way it stows them on its body is both very cool and remarkably intuitive). The stickers are alarmingly tiny, but few and easy to apply, and while its small feet do make it slightly harder to balance, it's not nearly as big a deal as one might expect. My only complaint is that it holds its knife a little loosely - a raised octagonal grip like on the Barbatos's mace might have been nice.

The Hyakuren Amida Custom is, as one would expect, a simple recolour with an extra gun in addition to the normal one. I decided to give mine the grenade launcher from MS Option Set 2, which is, thanks to the monochrome Option Sets, the wrong colour - it should be the same bluish-black as the rifle. This way means it blends into a different bit of the Hyakuren's colour scheme, though, so it's no big deal. One thing that isn't visible in this photo, but which you may be able to see in the others, is that the ammunition drum on the launcher is coloured via a sticker. I advise caution with this one - make absolutely sure that the black lines are aligned with the grooves in the model, and you'll find applying it much easier.

The Hyakuri is a more challenging build than most IBO kits. It's more sticker-heavy, and while most of the ones on the shoulders and its huge backpack aren't that bad, the ones on its sensor dish and its elbow joints are pretty nasty. Also, it's a very detailed sculpt with lots of large expanses of monochrome plastic, so welcome to panel-lining hell, population you. The transparent stand is also reassuringly solid and chunky (and yet unobtrusive at the same time), but arrives in a decidedly strange form - there's no runner, and all the pieces are attached to each other by nubs that are sometimes structurally-important, requiring some very careful cutting and filing. Another odd detail is that it actually has a partial inner frame, unlike its Hyakuren siblings, which is particularly obvious in the legs. Those tiny feet also have an unusually limited degree of articulation - they can roll, and they can pitch a little (or, to be more accurate, the front half can fold downwards), but they can't yaw - they always point in the same direction as the suit's knees. I'm a little hesitant to call this engineering laziness, though, so much as an intentional feature for this most spaceborne of suits, much like the rudimentary feet on the Elf Bullock and Mack Knife from G-Reco. They let you place the feet level on the ground, too, which is all that really needs to happen. One other fun little detail - this suit isn't a partsformer. You can drop the shields away, fold the arms up into the backpack, and fold the two rifles back on themselves before replacing the shields again, and bingo, you're done. No additional parts needed. Finally, there is one little detail you may not be familiar with, and that's the hidden hardpoints on the backpack, which can be combined with parts from MS Option Set 2 to stow weapons like the Hyakuren's (scabbarded) knife, the Amida Custom's rifle, and the Teiwaz weapons from that Option Set. I considered attaching the multiple-missile launcher to it, but I'm still holding out for the vain hope of a Rouei.

The Tekkadan Mobile Worker (Space Type) is much the same as its terrestrial brother, although the paler colour does bring out the detail a little more.

And here's a progress report on my entire collection thus far:

I'm really having to get creative with shelf space now.

Next up are the Gundam Gusion, the Man Rodi, the Barbatos and Kutan III Transport, and the MS Option Set 3.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the best/most recent version of the Alex? Always really liked that design.

I just built the HG from 2004. That might be the most recent. The MG is from 1999.

My only complaint is the shield connection is wonky.

Here it is with Bernie

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of reviews, I completed my next batch of IBO kits. Courtesy link to my reviews of the first set.

Here's the rundown:

The Graze Custom is, again, another Graze, so there's not much more to say about the design. Same number of stickers, same ease of application, same engineering. The most obvious departure is that giant bazooka cannon from MS Option Set 2. Like all MS Option Set items, it's made of monochrome plastic, but this particular bit is pretty much show-accurate in its colour scheme anyway - the only difference is that the shoulder plating (outside of the sliding track) should be dark green rather than grey. It's a simple, sturdy piece of kit that causes remarkably few balance problems for what it is, and that's pretty much it. Two small things to note. First, the bulked-up shoulder inhibits the arm's outward mobility, meaning you can't hold it as far out to the side as you could with the regular Graze shoulder armour (or the standard Graze Custom shoulder, which is a slightly different shape but cradles the arm in pretty much the same way). Second, while I didn't try it myself, the sliding peg that attaches the gun to the shoulder also advertises itself as being able to hold the Graze shield from MS Option Set 1. So that's an extra customisation option for you to try if you want.

The Hyakuren, as others have noted, forgoes the inner-frame gimmick of the Grazes and Gundams. It is, instead, a traditional modern HG, but it's a very good HG, solidly-built and poseable with a myriad of equipment options (and the way it stows them on its body is both very cool and remarkably intuitive). The stickers are alarmingly tiny, but few and easy to apply, and while its small feet do make it slightly harder to balance, it's not nearly as big a deal as one might expect. My only complaint is that it holds its knife a little loosely - a raised octagonal grip like on the Barbatos's mace might have been nice.

The Hyakuren Amida Custom is, as one would expect, a simple recolour with an extra gun in addition to the normal one. I decided to give mine the grenade launcher from MS Option Set 2, which is, thanks to the monochrome Option Sets, the wrong colour - it should be the same bluish-black as the rifle. This way means it blends into a different bit of the Hyakuren's colour scheme, though, so it's no big deal. One thing that isn't visible in this photo, but which you may be able to see in the others, is that the ammunition drum on the launcher is coloured via a sticker. I advise caution with this one - make absolutely sure that the black lines are aligned with the grooves in the model, and you'll find applying it much easier.

The Hyakuri is a more challenging build than most IBO kits. It's more sticker-heavy, and while most of the ones on the shoulders and its huge backpack aren't that bad, the ones on its sensor dish and its elbow joints are pretty nasty. Also, it's a very detailed sculpt with lots of large expanses of monochrome plastic, so welcome to panel-lining hell, population
you. The transparent stand is also reassuringly solid and chunky (and yet unobtrusive at the same time), but arrives in a decidedly strange form - there's no runner, and all the pieces are attached to each other by nubs that are sometimes structurally-important, requiring some very careful cutting and filing. Another odd detail is that it actually has a partial inner frame, unlike its Hyakuren siblings, which is particularly obvious in the legs. Those tiny feet also have an unusually limited degree of articulation - they can roll, and they can pitch a little (or, to be more accurate, the front half can fold downwards), but they can't yaw - they always point in the same direction as the suit's knees. I'm a little hesitant to call this engineering laziness, though, so much as an intentional feature for this most spaceborne of suits, much like the rudimentary feet on the Elf Bullock and Mack Knife from G-Reco. They let you place the feet level on the ground, too, which is all that really needs to happen. One other fun little detail - this suit isn't a partsformer. You can drop the shields away, fold the arms up into the backpack, and fold the two rifles back on themselves before replacing the shields again, and bingo, you're done. No additional parts needed. Finally, there is one little detail you may not be familiar with, and that's the hidden hardpoints on the backpack, which can be combined with parts from MS Option Set 2 to stow weapons like the Hyakuren's (scabbarded) knife, the Amida Custom's rifle, and the Teiwaz weapons from that Option Set. I considered attaching the multiple-missile launcher to it, but I'm still holding out for the vain hope of a Rouei.

The Tekkadan Mobile Worker (Space Type) is much the same as its terrestrial brother, although the paler colour does bring out the detail a little more.

And here's a progress report on my entire collection thus far:

Next up are the Gundam Gusion, the Man Rodi, the Barbatos and Kutan III Transport, and the MS Option Set 3.

I like your reviews, it feels like I'm at a wine tasting only not stuck up and I understand everything that's said. Keep up the good work.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

You're collection is still healthier than mine:

We moved semi-recently, and still have a lot of home improvement to do before I can add any shelves or other convenient shelving. The worst part is that it's an ikea dresser, so it's wobbly enough to make thrm fall like dominoes.

(Semi-unrelated rant: Gundam has really spoiled me in regards to stable toys. I kind of wish Hasbro would ship their toy legs on sprue kits, if only because they've had problems with warped legs on thin toys for decades at this point.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

zelah posted:

I just built the HG from 2004. That might be the most recent. The MG is from 1999.

My only complaint is the shield connection is wonky.

Here it is with Bernie

Fixed. I'm a bad person.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Which do you guys think is a better use of money: PG Zaku II or Mega Size Zaku II?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Bones posted:

That's just the way bright light works around the edges of small (relative to the size and intensity of the light source) objects.

True, but they're generally not that transparent. Anyone got any of the older sneak-peek pics they've done for other kits onhand for comparison? Couldnt find any on GundamGuy.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

mango sentinel posted:

Which do you guys think is a better use of money: PG Zaku II or Mega Size Zaku II?

Probably the PG Zaku, but it's a pretty old kit. Mega Size Zaku has less to screw up, and probably more solid surfaces if you want to paint it something interesting.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mango sentinel posted:

mega size. it's bigger and cheaper. you can use the left over money to make a diorama of the mega size zaku scene from Build Fighters

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I got spoiled by the Liger Zero Panzer, because the Gunsniper doesnt have anywhere near as many polycaps in it going by the manual. I was expecting at least some in the tail, but its just in the neck, hips, elbows and ankles.

Also as a note for anyone else building one, there is a note on the first page of the instructions about the cable pieces with a size length. It expects you to chop them down to that length.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think I got spoiled by the Liger Zero Panzer, because the Gunsniper doesnt have anywhere near as many polycaps in it going by the manual. I was expecting at least some in the tail, but its just in the neck, hips, elbows and ankles.

Also as a note for anyone else building one, there is a note on the first page of the instructions about the cable pieces with a size length. It expects you to chop them down to that length.

I'm tempted to start taking progress pics of my Gojulas showing off all the different points of articulation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

I'm tempted to start taking progress pics of my Gojulas showing off all the different points of articulation.

Please do. :allears:.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
it has occurred to me that im better at gunpla when im drunk

source is

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

mango sentinel posted:

Mega size. A zaku that can pose in scale with 1/48 jet fighters? sign me up.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

There's more non-Gundam stuff available in 1/48, so if you wanted a Zaku with a MiG-29 or something, you could make that happen.

edit: f,b

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mango sentinel posted:

I have a Mega Size Gundam and my wife has a Mega Size Zaku II. The parts separation and poseability are pretty bad, but they acknowledge how big they are and click into a pose (as in "the only pose you can put them in") very well. If you plan on painting it anyway, I'd rather have a Mega Size than an old super fiddly Perfect Grade.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've got myself a PG, and it's a really super fun build for how old it is. And I'd rather take extravagant detail in a smaller package than a gigantic hollow shell full of large empty spaces.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Cat Hatter posted:

I have a Mega Size Gundam and my wife has a Mega Size Zaku II. The parts separation and poseability are pretty bad, but they acknowledge how big they are and click into a pose (as in "the only pose you can put them in") very well. If you plan on painting it anyway, I'd rather have a Mega Size than an old super fiddly Perfect Grade.

Can confirm. Great-looking models if you squint, but they are literal statues and your average modern HG has far superior parts breakdown.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/UY8DL

I built a barbatos and a graze. It was fun.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I'm about 90% done with my HG Gouf build. This was the kit I decided I was going to try out a bunch of weathering techniques. So far I've just got it all painted up like normal and am now ready to add rust, dirt and all that sort of stuff. For being only the second kit that I have airbrushed, I am really happy with the results so far. Oh and I just noticed that I put on the shoulders backwards in my excitement from putting it all together painted but that it an obviously easy fix.

This is the album on Imgur.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've got myself a PG, and it's a really super fun build for how old it is. And I'd rather take extravagant detail in a smaller package than a gigantic hollow shell full of large empty spaces.

fill your megasize zaku with weed

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I really liked the mega size line. I wish Bandai would make more :(

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gonna hazard a guess that two expensive 1/48 AGE kits which no one asked for or wanted probably left retailers sour on the whole concept.

Shame, really. There was potential there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Shame, really. There was potential there.

AGE in a nutshell. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I choose to believe that the lyrics to RE:0096 are about someone trying to build the inevitable RG Unicorn.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

:siren: This one seller on Amazon has some ridiculously good deals! :siren:

MG GX for $23.
MG V2 for $32.
PG Unicorn for $163.

And you guys missed it, but Nu vKa was up for $42, MG Buster for $28, and RG Wing vEW for $10.

EDIT: V Looks like all of the V2s were bought up.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I would've bought the V2 but I can't find it on the page, but I got the GX for 23, not bad at all.

Of course I still have 80% of the deep striker to go but still.