Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
yeah, Hayato didn't even actually say 'my dad is a killer' or anything; Rohan basically figured it out himself iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I can't wait to see Rohan :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

There's no assumption there; after Hayato dies before Kira gets BtD, Daddy Kira flies in, freaks out and tells his son that they're finished and that Rohan's been investigating Kosaku Kawajiri so the sudden disappearance of Hayato would be an immediate tip off to Kira.

Yeah, I vaguely recalled this but didn't go back to check. Good stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Full Jojolion raws!
http://imgur.com/a/m30Ty

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Well that all looked like some cool loving poo poo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am ready for the translation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Can we get the translation fast tracked?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, something I'm curious about here.

Is Yatsu the one member of the Higashikata family who doesn't have a Stand? Because she certainly seems to be blindsided by the existence of supernatural poo poo.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 18, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Can we get the translation fast tracked?

Kewl0210, the JJL translator, has in the past used scans other than his own to translate and I tweeted this at him so it's possible? I doubt he'll use these as release though, he might want cleaner scans but he usually releases his transcript.

The Sandman posted:

So, something I'm curious about here.

Is Yatsu the one member of the Higashikata family who doesn't have a Stand? Because she certainly seems to be blindsided by the existence of supernatural poo poo.

I'm tagging this because it's only fair, I know a handful of people here have no interest in the spoilers.
If Hato has no stand, Damo is surely going to win here. Josuke is melting, everyone else is hosed. She looks more confused than bewildered to me, but the possibility isn't totally out there.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
More spoilers about the raws: Can't wait for the translation to come out so that I can know exactly how heartbreaking those final pages are. And I guess this means that the photo and most of the other stuff to do with Karera really is either going to be retconned or revealed as something that she made up? I would've been just fine with a bunch more chapters about those guys that would've made her account of the events line up with what we've seen, and I'm weirdly disappointed that the flashback looks to be finally wrapping up even though I really want to know how this Damo fight is going to be resolved. Also, there's no way that Hato won't have a stand.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Glad we finally got an answer as to why they dropped the CGI op

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Something I was thinking about in the shower this morning; Parts 1-7 were brought to France and translated professionally over there, right? With a much higher confluence of English/French bilingual speakers/readers over English/Japanese, is there some kind of logistical issue from just translating the already available French copies?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Even the best translation often involves a degree of rewriting due to local idioms and basic language structure being different. At best your translation is one step removed from the actual material. A lot of the times this is close enough, and you are both understanding the story and probably even picking up on some of the nuance the writer intended in their native language. You are also probably missing out on a bit due to the aforementioned issues. Like how they might make a pun or a reference in Japanese because someone's name is one thing written in characters that could mean something else. There's basically nothing you can really do in a lot of those situations to organically convey that short of putting an asterisk and a translation note or something. And that is at best. So there are judgement calls and rewrites in a translation. When you translate a translation, you are getting *at least* two steps removed from the source material. You are trying to convey the nuance of the original material when you effectively are hearing some guy describe to you stream of consciousness style what it was. There is no way to know how close that is to the original material. You yourself would be a translator, and you would *know* the sort of compromises you'd have to make to get something done. Best case you might convey the basic story, although you are probably shedding even more nuance. And that's assuming a real good translation. If it's some half-assed job, something workman like that just conveys the story in the driest way possible? You will probably completely lose all of the original nuance and possibly impact the ability to understand intended story points.

At the end of the day the only thing you can really look at to know if you are doing a good job is the original material.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've heard a lot of third hand talk about how the French translation of Part 5 is super good at keeping character nuance and reading descriptions of that stuff is loving wild, Passione sounds rad as gently caress, but I doubt that an English translation from that would be as good as the original or the current in progress English one because at that point it's a longer game of Telephone and you dunno what's gonna happen then, homie

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

JOHN CENA posted:

Something I was thinking about in the shower this morning; Parts 1-7 were brought to France and translated professionally over there, right? With a much higher confluence of English/French bilingual speakers/readers over English/Japanese, is there some kind of logistical issue from just translating the already available French copies?

Re-translating an existing translation is how we got Duwang and the bad Vento Aureo translation in the first place.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's also worth noting that if Kira ever found out he scored a total wipe out with Jotaro, Josuke, Koichi, Okuyasu and Rohan at any point before Josuke finds it out, he wins because Bites The Dust always kills people at the same time after the first kill, so he'd just have had to wait for them to die, withdraw Bites The Dust/KQ and then finish off the rest of the people allied to Josuke with impunity.

After killing off those five, does he even have to finish off the rest of Josuke's allies? It's been a while since I've read part 4, but like, who else is left to try and stop him?

I really don't see Yukako and Tonio being much of a threat to Kira in any sort of way, you know?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yukako would probably kill for Koichi and I doubt Tonio appreciates the murder of his best customers.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Yeah, if Kira killed Koichi he would be hosed six ways to sunday once Yukako found out. The only thing worse than being the last remaining combat-capable protagonist is being that PLUS having your love interest killed off (just look at how mad Joseph got about Caesar dying).

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jotaro when Kakyoin died also.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yukako's Stand is very strong. None of the damage her hair takes reflects on her, she can re-grow her hair back, Yukako is unstoppable.

I love that when it comes time for Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen to punch each other, Killer Queen is actually pretty frail and bad at punching

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
After watching this week's anime episode, how does Keicho get into Angelo's cell? You'd think Araki would give him a stand that lets him fit through bars or open holes in walls or something.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJ posted:

After watching this week's anime episode, how does Keicho get into Angelo's cell? You'd think Araki would give him a stand that lets him fit through bars or open holes in walls or something.

Unlocked the door and sneaked in

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Moltrey posted:

Yukako's Stand is very strong. None of the damage her hair takes reflects on her, she can re-grow her hair back, Yukako is unstoppable.

I love that when it comes time for Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen to punch each other, Killer Queen is actually pretty frail and bad at punching

I liked the part were the heavily wounded Josuke gets in range and he's like 'Hey lets have a punch fight' and the slightly but not terribly wounded Kira realizes he is super hosed.

And then yeah Killer Queen proves it is not a stand made for punching.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Moltrey posted:

I've heard a lot of third hand talk about how the French translation of Part 5 is super good at keeping character nuance and reading descriptions of that stuff is loving wild, Passione sounds rad as gently caress, but I doubt that an English translation from that would be as good as the original or the current in progress English one because at that point it's a longer game of Telephone and you dunno what's gonna happen then, homie

French is my first language but I'm not in France is there anywhere I can read part 5 online or do I have to get them physical.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

keicho's stand is a shitload of little tiny dudes and army vehicles that normal people can't see so i can imagine that espionage is pretty simple to whatever degree for him

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

CJ posted:

Maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers helped him?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaggitz posted:

French is my first language but I'm not in France is there anywhere I can read part 5 online or do I have to get them physical.
I was gonna say there has to be, but checking the source of someone discussing the French translation says there are zero scans so that's lame. But apparently they're super super cheap on Amazon UK or at least were, shipping might kill you there though. Searching for Golden Wind on Amazon is supposedly more helpful, and they're published by éditions Tonkam.

My source for this stuff is this tumblr where for a while they took questions on translation stuff. The stuff on that first page is a lotta headcanon stuff but this big write up on Mista's character that's absent in the original English translation or this one where they analyze Doppio and Diavolo's relationship is neat stuff.

e:This post looking at how the members of Passione talk with each other was most interesting to me as apparently I had totally wrong ideas about these characters. Mista goes from goofy and laid back to actually super confident and cool under pressure while Bruno goes from calm leader to a bit more panicky in tight spots, stuff like that

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone on /a/ knocked out a quick scanlation of JJL
http://m.imgur.com/a/wnMvW

Its okay but catch Hi Wa Mata Noboru's too later in the week

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

re: french translations, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but Amaryllis might know if they're around sometime soon, as I feel like they read french Vento and might have purchased a few volumes? But I don't know of any place to read a better french translation online or I'd have tried myself.

Moltrey, thank you for linking that! I came across some of that before and didn't save it. I actually like headcanon stuff too nyah

e: thanks josuke, I'm gonna hang out and wait for the other translation but it's gonna be tough to wait ahahah

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
If only Keicho had a Stand that allowed him to sneak into a prison cell and not a Stand made of tiny soldiers with guns and tanks and airplanes that would coincidentally also let him sneak into a prison cell.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I suppose the question at this juncture is which one is Josuke "More," Kira or Josefumi?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bad Seafood posted:

So I suppose the question at this juncture is which one is Josuke "More," Kira or Josefumi?

yes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Holly's a Joestar, right? So that would make cooldude!Kira also a Joestar. But Josefumi has the birthmark, and Kira doesn't...

This part is weird.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funky Valentine posted:

Holly's a Joestar, right? So that would make cooldude!Kira also a Joestar. But Josefumi has the birthmark, and Kira doesn't...

This part is weird.

there has literally been nothing to suggest that kira didn't have a birthmark. anyone whose existence is a direct result of a joestar will have the birthmark. johnny is holly's great grandfather.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

This part is weird.

Kira has the mark but it was only in one panel ever.
http://i.imgur.com/pS8GH11.png

Bad Seafood posted:

I think the implication here is that he's neither really. Josefumi does get stars on his bubbles in this chapter so it may either be an Araki oversight or he had taken some of Kira's power even while living. Like, even if his base body is more Josefumi, he's 100% not entirely Josefumi and not entirely Kira. He's Josuke now and that's probably the only real way to look at him.

Josuke however, is a loving stone cold bad motherfucker.
http://i.imgur.com/Il54fK9.png
Josefumi is also a bad motherfucker and Kira is BEST BOY

e:

Johnny Joestar posted:

there has literally been nothing to suggest that kira didn't have a birthmark. anyone whose existence is a direct result of a joestar will have the birthmark. johnny is holly's great grandfather.

This being the single panel from around 4 years ago is a pretty good reason to doubt it. Araki only draws them when they're relevant, sure, but it was easy to forget.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 19, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

This being the single panel from around 4 years ago is a pretty good reason to doubt it. Araki only draws them when they're relevant, sure, but it was easy to forget.

yeah, but i just assume it's a thing unless araki specifically draws attention to it not being a thing or hints at it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, he just got worked up and made a couple of mistakes. No big. He was shook by Koichi rumbling him.

He also blurts out FIX ME QUICKLY because he sees Jotaro and Koichi starting to stand up and panics. Star Platinum hosed him up when Jotaro was bleeding in like 30 different places and could barely stand, he does not want to get close to that loving thing again. And Koichi knows who he is and can nullify Sheer Heart Attack. He Goofed is entirely understandable, honestly. During his whole spiel he keeps nervously sneaking glances to the two of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jotaro flattening Kira is one of the best parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the series

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's not that great after he breaks it.

His face, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a shame that Magician's Red was made redundant by Jotaro's ability to spit napalm :(