Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So now that I've done the Nameless King, are there any other significant hidden areas left to find? I visited the Untended Graves already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

So what are those freaky looking skeletal dragon things floating in the air in Lothric Castle? The things that shoot at you while fighting the Dragonslayer Armor. I beat the game and haven't found any indication of what they are or what they're doing.

Also why is the sun black?

dragonslayer armor soul calls them "Pilgrim Butterflies". imo they're the end result of the ppl turning into trees (as we see giants turning trees in DS2) on the High Wall. Butterfly implies a metamorphosis and combined with the extremely metal dying sun I think it suggests that the Age of Dark will lead to all hollows assuming their true form as insanely cool tree-dragons

the sun is black because the age of fire is dying and the sun is an illusion that is succumbing to the deep sea. also it's the darksign

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So now that I've done the Nameless King, are there any other significant hidden areas left to find? I visited the Untended Graves already.

Did you do the area under the catacombs?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Shortest Path posted:

Did you do the area under the catacombs?

The lake? Yeah I discovered that back when it was relevant. Oh! But I never did deal with that ballista, couldn't find a way up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heath posted:

Here's where I'm at:

I'm a pyro ninja using Warden Twinblades. I make heavy use of Carthus Flame Arc to enchant my weapons but what I want to know is if I can infuse them with either Sharp, Raw, Crystal or Bleed and still be able to enchant them with CFA. I've also been using Carthus Rouge to great effect, but if I can boost the bleeding natively and then also enchant it with fire damage I think I can become a whirling death machine.

You can use CFA on raw weapons, not sure about the rest.

Fister Roboto posted:

Its the dark sign. You know, the cursed symbol that appears on every undead.

Its worth knowing that the dark sign is quite clearly meant to resemble a solar eclipse. Also late game lore in this reveals that the age of dark is not complete darkness, but rather has small lights flickering amidst the sea of black. During a solar eclipse, the sky will darken but the light of the sun is barely seen around it, which creates the orange glow. The dark sign resembling this is symbolic.

VVV Because the age of fire is ending while the age of dark is almost upon the world

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But why

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Man lives, man dies

Everything between is all vanity

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The lake? Yeah I discovered that back when it was relevant. Oh! But I never did deal with that ballista, couldn't find a way up.

if you beat the area boss behind the lightning worm then turning off the ballista isn't really a big deal, unless you're trying to get some of the "all pyro spells" achievement, because you have to explore the demon ruins pretty thoroughly to find the path back up to the ballista, and there's several pyro spells scattered throughout the area

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Welp. That certainly is a final boss fight.

I don't think I'm ready :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

dragonslayer armor soul calls them "Pilgrim Butterflies". imo they're the end result of the ppl turning into trees (as we see giants turning trees in DS2) on the High Wall. Butterfly implies a metamorphosis and combined with the extremely metal dying sun I think it suggests that the Age of Dark will lead to all hollows assuming their true form as insanely cool tree-dragons

the sun is black because the age of fire is dying and the sun is an illusion that is succumbing to the deep sea. also it's the darksign

Pilgrims, not hollows. AKA the things with shells on their backs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What is the deal with pilgrims, anyway? Why do they die, why do they try to go to a specific place when they are going to be dying, what the hell are they carrying, etc.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Fister Roboto posted:

So what are those freaky looking skeletal dragon things floating in the air in Lothric Castle? The things that shoot at you while fighting the Dragonslayer Armor. I beat the game and haven't found any indication of what they are or what they're doing.

Armour's soul refers to them as Pilgrim Butterfly, but other than that... I have no idea! Although I only just beat that boss myself.They're controlling Ornstein's armour, which is a great progression through the games. It starts off gold and shiny, gets all dark as he ages, then when he dies the armour continues, becoming all warped, and exhanging his spear for a big rear end greataxe and picking up a shield

Sun... I dunno

Stokes posted:

How the gently caress are these Irithyll Knights in any way shape or form fair? At one point the first one swung at me 10 times in a row. That's loving dumb. Guess I'll have to learn how to parry them w/o taking damage, because even that is hard to do against this stupid poo poo.

Git gud etc.

Yeah practice parrying them. Small shields like the buckler are best for it. I didn't have much trouble in that area at all, but maybe I'm better at parrying than I thought? Alternatively, get the first hit in with something big and stunlock them to death. Really there's quite a few enemies that parrying trivializes (especially in the next area you're coming up on!) and you should invest some time into learning it.

Jerusalem posted:

I wouldn't mind some advice either, got stuck there last night and decided to take a break rather than bashing my head against the wall.

I can handle the first phase fine, it's just a matter of staying close enough so she uses melee instead of homing/ranged attacks, and the arrow storm can be avoided by standing in front of her and then rolling behind after she's opened fire since they spread out forward in the direction you were standing when she opened fire. But in the second phase I'm really struggling because if I stay too close I get hit by her flames, but if I keep my distance she opens up with ranged attacks again that I really struggle to avoid.

Aldritch is a dude snake monster devouring another dude, who was raised as a woman and has tentacles for legs :gay: I didn't have too much trouble with the fight but I can't really offer any trick. Just sort of... get in behind, and close. The fire tracks where he moves/attacks, but if you're behind him it's ok. The one thing is he'll kind of twist around and do a big melee swing back at you, but it's not too bad to dodge. The other thing is the knife storm, which is lovely. The first phase isn't bad, just get behind, but the second phase where it tracks is a bitch. You can run/roll in perpindiculars, but it lasts so long that he'll start another move and that sucks. When he reappears, he almost always does the small homing flurry, which you can dodge while moving in, so that's good at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

the dark is forgiving and welcoming. u dont have to be a pilgrim to reap the glory of the coming age ... the pilgrims are jst extremely dedicated to making it happen, as we all should be

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wait people think the final boss is easy?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aldritch was the first boss I was able to kill on my first attempt with no help, with Dancer being the only other one. Dunno why it was so much easier for me than the rest :shrug:

The fact that he is a Slime monster infesting and animating Gwyndolin's half-decomposed corpse that you left to rot under Anor Londo in the first game is pretty loving terrifying.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jia posted:

Nameless King phase one is the shittiest boss fight in the loving world, it's so awful

Aldrich is insanely trivial; when he does the arrow rain, dodge in squares, you'll take very little damage

Yeah I didn't have much of a problem, but he's got a version of that which will track you for a very long time and very aggressively. Even if you get up next to him it'll come back and gently caress you up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I thought Gwyn was easy and later found out ppl found him hard, but the DS3 final boss beat the poo poo out of me until I slept on it and defeated him in a glorious perfect zen moment. Different builds struggle with different things I guess

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah I didn't have much of a problem, but he's got a version of that which will track you for a very long time and very aggressively. Even if you get up next to him it'll come back and gently caress you up.
if he uses that spell you die. it's the shittiest move in the game

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There were people who thought Gwyn was hard? :psyduck:

He had the most obvious telegraphed attack animation in the game for you to parry. I wiped the floor with him and I couldn't even get the Silver Knight parry timing down right.

I cannot recall a final boss in any video game being as much of a chump as Gwyn.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

Honestly, I don't think the second phase is that hard with the exception of his anime bullshit bladestorm which does ridiculous damage if you get caught in it. Outside of that, his combos are short and he has no ability to really punish ranged spam. I actually had the most trouble with the first phase of the lance.

I think calling it easy is ridiculous though. Nashandra is easy final boss territory.

VVV Almost every boss is easy when you do that

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 19, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

voltcatfish posted:

I blew him up with Black Fire Orbs.

Aldritch was the first boss I was able to kill on my first attempt with no help, with Dancer being the only other one. Dunno why it was so much easier for me than the rest :shrug:

The fact that he is a Slime monster infesting and animating Gwyndolin's half-decomposed corpse that you left to rot under Anor Londo in the first game is pretty loving terrifying.

Not quite right. Item descriptions reveal that canonically The Chosen Undead never killed Gwyndolin. Aldrich attacked him fairly recently, while he was ill and unable to defend himself, and slowly digested him alive.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is the patch out? I was playing earlier, from like 530 central to 845 central and was on 1.03 even tho server said 1.04?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still can't get sentinel or watchdog summoned. I'm guessing everything's just oversaturated for the sentinels, but the watchdogs should eventually have something happen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There were people who thought Gwyn was hard? :psyduck:

He had the most obvious telegraphed attack animation in the game for you to parry. I wiped the floor with him and I couldn't even get the Silver Knight parry timing down right.
same, I have no idea, but when I say I thought he was easy people call me a tryhard edgelord .... he took me like 20 tries this time though!! Also he parried me for an instant kill which I'm sure the demonic yellow men at FROM found very funny.

Also the Feels when Gwyn's theme kicks in are unparalleled. This is the best game ever made

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What's interesting is that there are statues of Pilgrims in places like the Cathedral of the Deep and they don't have shells on their backs but instead of some gnarly growths, so maybe that's why they wear the shells and have to chain them on.

Soral
May 30, 2009

hey is anybody having trouble with crashes specifically after today's patch? i had a bit of a rocky start as apparently most people did on pc but starting today the game became completely unplayable. roughly a crash every 10-15 minutes, along with a couple of blue screens thrown in

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I still can't get sentinel or watchdog summoned. I'm guessing everything's just oversaturated for the sentinels, but the watchdogs should eventually have something happen.

it's broken

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Aldrich sounds like the worst fucker ever. He ate so many people and was such an rear end in a top hat he turned into loving goo. That's crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What is the deal with pilgrims, anyway? Why do they die, why do they try to go to a specific place when they are going to be dying, what the hell are they carrying, etc.

They're carrying the same thing all cleric characters carry, its a solid piece of stone that prevents the seedbeds already inside their bodies from sprouting according to the description. Presumably, it prevents them from sprouting into the corpse-trees you see littered about Lothric Highwall, which may be what creates the freaky rear end wood-bone butterfly abominations flying about. Given that the pilgrims all congregated on the route to Lothric Castle and died facing that way I think its fairly easy to assume Prince Lothric was their ultimate goal.

Mazerunner posted:

Armour's soul refers to them as Pilgrim Butterfly, but other than that... I have no idea! Although I only just beat that boss myself.They're controlling Ornstein's armour, which is a great progression through the games. It starts off gold and shiny, gets all dark as he ages, then when he dies the armour continues, becoming all warped, and exhanging his spear for a big rear end greataxe and picking up a shield

Nah That's not Ornstein. You find out what happened to him and get all of his gear if you beat the optional area

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Haha what the hell, some guy just invaded me, popped around the corner and attempted a parry before I'd even started swinging, and my regular two-handed R1 with a +8 Great Machete did 936 damage to him. How is that even possible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also, snow ghost castle is the best level in the game by far.

So goddamn intense... but the ghosts go down like little babies since they get staggered so easy by the Black Knight GS. :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Aldrich sounds like the worst fucker ever. He ate so many people and was such an rear end in a top hat he turned into loving goo. That's crazy.

His story is probably my favorite part of the game. Dude's just so awful and you spend so much time hunting him down that it's really satisfying to finally see what he looks like now and then murder him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

He wanted to eat a god so the pontiff got him one. The pontiff is basically the root of all the poo poo that's wrong with everything. I still stand that based solely on the description of that doll, he'd just kick out anyone he didn't like and let them go die and never come home.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

he's your mum

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I love getting invaded by guys with 56k connections that slide around t-posing and hitting me with invisible blows

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vintersorg posted:

Also, snow ghost castle is the best level in the game by far.

So goddamn intense... but the ghosts go down like little babies since they get staggered so easy by the Black Knight GS. :getin:

They got staggered by a single hit from my thrall axe so I just combod them from full to dead every time. I'm honestly surprised people have so much trouble with them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Huh, just saw some successful PvP backstabs for the first time ever. This dude with twinblades was able to roll behind me and stand up directly into a backstab every single time. Dunno if he was just insanely good or if something wonky was going on there, because every single other backstab roll attempt someone has tried has whiffed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Outside of the admittedly cool initial effect I absolutely loving hate anor londo . lovely boss run. lovely boss. Can't summon because you'll just get invaded while the summons fail. This is not fun at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I beat the final boss by myself. Now I truly am a cowboy.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

you know after hearing everyone saying pontif whateverin was hard i was prepared for the worst. i beat him on my fourth try hollow. i dont get what the big deal was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Internet Kraken posted:

They got staggered by a single hit from my thrall axe so I just combod them from full to dead every time. I'm honestly surprised people have so much trouble with them.

I didn't find them trivial but they were so much easier than the fast DW guys in the Catacombs / Smouldering Lake that there wasn't much comparison.