Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Prince of Darkness for PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

The Prince of Darkness for PM.

You want him to be re-elected?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You want him to be re-elected?

He'd have to get out of the treasurer portfolio first.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'd put better money on scrooge than hockey these days

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Could you get the payout if Morrison just changed his name to Ebenezer Scrooge?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Chris Bowens beard looks truly terrible. Like the color of it draws attention to the fact he's going grey.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Could you get the payout if Morrison just changed his name to Ebenezer Scrooge?

You'd still be betting on him being able to change his name correctly

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Negligent posted:

Chris Bowens beard looks truly terrible. Like the color of it draws attention to the fact he's going grey.

If there's one thing I won't stand it's people showing a natural hair colour.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent, who do you intend to vote for

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Greybeard Bowen will use Voodoo Economics to deliver a surplus.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Negligent posted:

Dude's got a bit of a babyface so it's probably intentional to make him look more mature and experienced.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-19/payne-meets-with-entsch-over-patrol-boat-decision/7337118

quote:

Defence Minister Marise Payne is meeting with unhappy backbencher Warren Entsch after he labelled the Government's patrol boat building decision "bloody stupid".
Key points:

PM yesterday announced boats would be built in Adelaide and then Western Australia
Warren Entsch had been lobbying for boats to be built in Cairns, described Government's decision as "bloody stupid"
Ian MacDonald also questioned why the boats would be built in Perth

Queensland MP Mr Entsch and Senator Ian MacDonald are questioning the decision to award the defence shipbuilding contract to a West Australian company instead of a bidder based in north Queensland.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull yesterday made the announcement that Adelaide would be home to the early construction of 12 offshore patrol vessels in 2018 before shifting to Western Australia in 2020.

South Australian Labor Premier Jay Weatherill described the $500 million contract as a "great win" for the state, but the announcement has triggered backlash from MPs in Queensland.

"I don't support the decision — quite frankly I think it was bloody stupid," Mr Entsch said.

"I'm not going to just step down and accept it and just be a noddy in the background trying to justify what I see as a bad decision.

"The fact that I had to be told by the proponents of the unsuccessful bidders that they'd missed out before the Minister [Senator Payne] had the courtesy of getting [her] staff to come down and speak to me.

"I gave them short shrift in no uncertain terms."

Senator MacDonald also questioned why the 21 new Pacific patrol boats would be built in Perth, saying he was disappointed that northern Australia missed out on the "very attractive bid".

"There are a number of questions, I think, that need to be answered in relation to why the Cairns bid was not favourably considered," he said.

"[Including] the reasons for the awarding of the contract for the West Australian group — it seems to me that from the information that I have that north Queensland bid was competitive."
MacDonald calls for 'common courtesy'

"I thought there would have at least been the common courtesy to speak to members who have been lobbying so hard on it for so long to at least give us the courtesy of a heads up," Senator MacDonald said.

"And … in case we had any further information that we may like to contribute before they make the announcement, but that didn't occur."

While the Federal Government said it was required to choose the proposal giving the best value for money, Mr Entsch said he wanted to see the price difference for himself.

He said even if the Perth company offered a better price, the Government needed to consider other factors when it came to investing in northern Australia.

Senator MacDonald said building the ships in Cairns would have demonstrated the Government's commitment to developing the north.

"The white paper we produced on development of northern Australia, is a very positive step for the north," he said.

"It contains a real plan and real money attached, but a shipbuilding industry in the north would have been a great help to the push to develop northern Australia.

"And it would show the Government leading from the front."

The maintenance of the Pacific patrol boats will however be done in Cairns, and several hundred million dollars will have to be spent on wharf space so new offshore patrol vessels can be based there.

U mad?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WHY DIDN'T YOU PORK BARREL MY ELECTORATE??!

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Scott Morrison should change his name to Crass Populism

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/67cc82c636b6c5fff55211778ff53e5b?width=650

Do you guys watch Veep, it's like the running gag where Mike dyes his moustache to be a brighter shade of orange

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

WHY DIDN'T YOU PORK BARREL MY ELECTORATE??!

Seriously. Especially since it feels like SA doesn't get much pork barreling at times :(

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Negligent posted:

Do you guys watch Veep,

No.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Seriously. Especially since it feels like SA doesn't get much pork barreling at times :(

SA can't be trusted with barrels

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

QUACKTASTIC posted:

SA can't be trusted with barrels

Holy poo poo :wow:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Dude's got a bit of a babyface so it's probably intentional to make him look more mature and experienced.

Any stylist with functional eyes would tell him it looks terrible

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I care about politicians' beards and I vote.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

open24hours posted:

I care about politician's beards and I vote.

:same:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN4Vu6781SY&t=1317s

BEARD FEAR!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/apr/19/ricky-muir-fires-adler-shotgun-in-video-criticising-calls-to-restrict-weapon
The Motoring Enthusiast party senator Ricky Muir has appeared in a video firing a controversial lever-action shotgun and criticising calls for more restrictions to be placed on it.

Plans to import the Adler A110 shotgun, which has a magazine capacity of seven rounds, were halted in July when it was banned by the then prime minister, Tony Abbott, for six months. The ban was later extended until August this year.

In a video uploaded to his Facebook page on Monday, Muir responded to what he called “sensationalism in social and mainstream media” about the lever-action gun and its capabilities.

More than 7,400 of the shotguns have entered Australia after importer Robert Nioa modified banned weapon

“It does not have magic powers, it does not take any special cartridge and it is not manufactured any different to any other 12-gauge shotgun on the market,” the senator says, before firing the gun twice.

“This is not the type of firearm typically used in criminal activity,” the post reads.

A petition for further restrictions on the rapid-fire shotgun, created by the Port Arthur massacre survivor Carolyn Loughton last year, has attracted more than 15,000 signatures.

Loughton, who lost her 15-year-old daughter, Sarah, in the 1996 Tasmanian massacre, said the weapon had the capacity to fire seven rounds in as many seconds, similar to a pump-action shotgun.

“We, the people of Australia, remember the victims of massacres at places Hoddle St, Monash University, Port Arthur and Martin Place. Never again,” the petition reads.

The importer of the A110 sidestepped the federal government’s July decision by introducing a version of the gun with a reduced five-round magazine.

It has recently emerged gun dealers are using a legal loophole that allows them to modify the gun to accommodate a 10-shot magazine plus one additional cartridge in the chamber, meaning it can fire 11 rounds.

If people want to argue for this gun then fine, but they should really be calling for the restrictions on pump-actions to be lifted, rather than just against closing a loophole.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Snod. posted:

Scott Morrison should change his name to Crass Populism

Of all the dumb accusations in the last few days, that's the one that had me snorting. Something the electorate wants = crass populism. It's part of the dumb "we're tough" strategy that has made the LNP so popular in the last couple of years.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can an expert on taints confirm if this is true?

quote:

Coles 'stupid, culpable': Leyonhjelm

Supermarket giant Coles has been labelled "stupid and culpable" over its treatment of pig farmers.

Liberal Democrats senator David Leyonhjelm launched a scathing attack on the supermarket on Tuesday over its decision to prohibit its pork suppliers from using a vaccine on male piglets that blocks the production of hormones at puberty.

Male pigs become aggressive and begin fighting when they reach puberty, and they also develop boar taint, which creates an unpleasant taste some consumers find "utterly offensive".

The problem can be solved by castrating the pigs before they reach puberty, but that creates animal welfare issues and also has an economic impact for the farmers because it impacts on the growth of the pig.

If the pig farmers were allowed to use the vaccine, the pigs would not fight, would not develop a yucky taste and would grow to a good size - but Coles won't allow it.

"It's so they can say to consumers `we don't sell pork that contains things' - things it knows nothing about," Senator Leyonhjelm told parliament.

"It feeds on ignorance and bigotry about agriculture."

As a result, Coles suppliers are forced to castrate pigs, slaughter them too early or risk losing consumers because of the bad taste.

"Coles does not actually care about pig welfare or the pig industry or its own consumers, it just wants to be able to tell a nonsense story to gullible consumers.

"If it isn't fixed, I'll have a lot more to say about it in future."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/31386481/coles-stupid-culpable-leyonhjelm/?cmp=st

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

It wasn't even as exciting as that implies. They were accepting the recommendation of the media's own self-regulatory body, the Press Council. The government (ACMA) already regulate content to a certain extent, this was a relatively minor change to some guidelines.

The minor change was removing the exemption to the trade practices act, so they would be liable for deceptive and misleading conduct.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can an expert on taints confirm if this is true?

quote:

Leyonhjelm

Yep, that's a taint alright

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

hooman posted:

I hope Ricky Muir gets re-elected at the DD.

when i saw his face on the news last night i thought "onya, Ricky"

one of australia's least terrible politicians for sure

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Now, senator Carr, you are the one who says the science is settled.

I don’t.

I’m aware there are a number of views about the two questions – the nature and the causes of climate change.

It doesn’t seem to me that the science is settled at all. But I’m not a scientist. I’m agnostic, really, on that."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Is that vaccine available for politicians?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Hmm, I had no idea they don't castrate male pigs here in Oz, which perfectly explains why all the pork I've had here is either tiny compared to similar cuts in the US, or tastes nasty (all the good quality female pig meat is exported, since nobody wants our nasty boar meat).

I spent decades working in pork production back in the US, and had no clue there was a vaccine to pretty much temporarily castrate pigs. Virtually 100% of male pigs are castrated as piglets in the US. It's pretty cool they have a vaccine that basically prevents the testes from functioning. And reading the specs on the vaccine, it's just a protein that only works when injected, and there's absolutely no effect when ingested, so perfectly safe to eat pork where it was used. And even then, since it's only a temporary effect when injected, it's gone from the meat anyway when they slaughter a few weeks after the final injection.

But I can totally see why Coles would ban it, because people are loving stupid and vaccines are the current boogeyman, so they really have no choice if they don't want to fight a stupid misinformation campaign about how eating this pork will make your balls shrivel up and fall off.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Oh my god the logos for the parties are now registered with the AEC:

check out the motoring enthusiast party

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm the anti paedophile party

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'm the anti paedophile party

You mean the "no anti-paedophile" party.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
450km!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm a mix between the free weed party and the renewable energy party

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

open24hours posted:

I care about politicians' beards and I vote.

Are you a woman? Because there's actually research that shows men with beards are perceived more negatively by women voters

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/12/beards-why/422157/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Narrator posted:

You mean the "no anti-paedophile" party.

So pro pedophile?

• Locked thread