Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Dropped in to my local whisky pushers for a new Glelcairn glass, after cracking my last one. He was sold out.

So I accidently ended up with a 20cl bottle of this instead;

(The Benromach, not the Appletons)

Not a bad little whisky for the price (NZ$34 for the small bottle, NZ$80 for a 70cl) Nice brown sugar/vanilla/slightly peaty nose, just a touch of smoke on the tongue. Drinking it out a small-ish brandy balloon will have to suffice until he restocks his glassware.

Ha, I've picked up one of those recently as well! Quite an easy one to drink, good for introducing people to bolder whiskies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Local sushi spot had Yamazaki 12 tonight so I grabbed a glass of it to try since it's been blowing up lately. $13 for probably a little over a shot's worth. It was definitely good, but I could never justify spending $100 on a bottle. Am I alone in thinking it's a bit overhyped?

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum
I never got the hype for the 12, it's just Scotch-Flavored Scotch to me. The 18 is a completely different story though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidsafe posted:

Did you notice the similarities between Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace? They use the same recipe/mashbill.

I did notice that, though I'm somewhat concerned that I'm fooling myself on these things since I look up the tasting notes beforehand.

Anyway, picked up the ~*whiskey of the year*~ crown royal northern harvest rye. The branding and packaging is so embarrassing--baroque plastic gold and crown motifs with a cheap corkless screw top and a satiny little sack the bottle comes in, etc etc. Like something Trump would design and market. But at $21 I felt it was worth a try. Poured myself a glass and found I enjoyed it pretty well. Good spicy, peppery flavor with very mild sweetness. Not a ton of complexity but I liked well enough it on ice. 90% rye seems to have a merit all its own.

Also picked up one of the last proper "Elijah Craig 12 Years" as it's transitioning to No Age Statement bottles. In fact, the shop had stocked both the back label small print "12 years" and the bottles without the 12 years language and intermingled them--all the 12ers were in the back. Had some fun picking one out even though I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I think this was $22.

Was tempted to buy some Aberlour 12 at $40 as well but the availability of $20 bourbon made it somewhat less appealing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

On a completely unrelated note, it seems that the folks on /r/whiskey are precisely as awful as one would expect (but also very rich):

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I wouldn't say rich based on a few bottles of whisky. Unadventurous though, yes. Also why is there a bottle of Grey Goose?

Nice touch with the Cutlery Corner $20 katana.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We may need emergency surgery in the subreddit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidsafe posted:

I wouldn't say rich based on a few bottles of whisky. Unadventurous though, yes. Also why is there a bottle of Grey Goose?

More likely insane than actually rich, I'll concede.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Vox Nihili posted:

On a completely unrelated note, it seems that the folks on /r/whiskey are precisely as awful as one would expect (but also very rich):

im the discreetly photographed katana

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyway, picked up the ~*whiskey of the year*~ crown royal northern harvest rye. The branding and packaging is so embarrassing--baroque plastic gold and crown motifs with a cheap corkless screw top and a satiny little sack the bottle comes in, etc etc. Like something Trump would design and market. But at $21 I felt it was worth a try. Poured myself a glass and found I enjoyed it pretty well. Good spicy, peppery flavor with very mild sweetness. Not a ton of complexity but I liked well enough it on ice. 90% rye seems to have a merit all its own.

That's Crown Royal's gimmick though. Mostly you just use the bag for dice and the booze for mixing. Their regular one is among the better cheap ryes, at least as far as I've seen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

That looks like a collection of "the most expensive stuff I've heard of that was at the local 'good' liquor store"

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
my wife got me a bottle of Bunnahabhain 18 for my birthday while she was traveling, which you can't really get around here (PA). very different than any other Islay malt i've tried -- very little smoke, lots of oak and seawater, and a long, rich, leathery finish. A nice change of pace from the typical Islay peat bombs that i normally go for.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Vox Nihili posted:

what, no Yamazaki 18? What a scrub.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm sure some of those are really good (the only ones I've had are Glenmorangie Lasanta and the Macallan 15) but maaan does that ever look boring.

Mahler fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 19, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Does anyone really keep the boxes/tubes that booze comes in when you buy it?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Mandingo posted:

I kept the one for my bottle of Balvenie 12 because the cashier forgot to remove the security tag.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

The Mandingo posted:

Lemme guess you don't even keep way overpriced vodka and hanzo steel in your whiskey stash either, pshh.

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
My wife insists we keep the boxes. She figures some of them we spent over $150 on so we better keep something and holding on to empty bottles look slightly more trashy. We have them on a shelf close to the ceiling.

It does help me remember things I have had before in case I want to buy something again.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

The Mandingo posted:

I keep them until the bottle is empty because it keeps the spirit out of sunlight/UV in my display cabinet.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My special order of Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel came in this week. I really wish I knew how to describe bourbon in that flowery bullshit talk because this stuff is really friggin good.

The only review I could find for it online is "Rock Hill Farms is a very good bourbon, and worth trying. If you have an extra $60, give it a shot." so I'm secure in that I haven't given it the worst good review ever.

He did go on to describe it as "Sweet caramel and honey on the tip of the tongue. Ripe pears and fruits mingle on the middle of the tasting, while the back of the tongue gets a brown sugar, maple syrup, and black pepper sensation.". I get all that but fruit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Mandingo posted:

I keep the boxes for when I travel to see friends I can pack something to bring with me for them and feel a bit better about it stashed in the luggage.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Mandingo posted:

When I started out collecting I did but now I just throw them away.

I do keep them in the box/tube until I open the bottle though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

spankmeister posted:

When I started out collecting I did but now I just throw them away.

I do keep them in the box/tube until I open the bottle though.

Yep ditto. Keep it in the box/tube until it's opened, and then bin the box.

They take up too much room in the Liquor cabinet which could otherwise be taken up by actual booze.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I only keep the box if it's made of wood and then only because I'm a woodworker and think I can make something cool with them. I do have a metric rear end-ton of corks.

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
Bought a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood for $53 on sale, not bad. The first couple sips felt harsh, but it mellowed out quite nicely. A little smoke, a little sweet is about all I can discern. Also picked up an Aberlour A'bunadh batch 50. I had the NAS version and liked it, so I thought I'd try this next.

Any interesting food/cuisine pairings with whisk(e)y? For some reason my co-workers and I end up drinking scotch while eating Indian. Weird, but somehow it works. One of our contractors got us started on this habit and we try to do it about once a month. Have not tried this with anything peaty though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I keep Glen Morraign around at all times for sentimental reasons.

Because during WWII my grandfather was stationed near the distillery (Or so he tells it) and that's how he got introduced to it (It's a great story, I'll post it sometime) and it's his favourite therefore, so when I do see him, we share a dram or two of it.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Has anyone tried Penderyn? It's the only whisky (correct spelling for Welsh whisky) distilled in Wales. The maderia finish is by far my favorite of their selections and quite possibly my favorite whiskey. I believe it's done in oak casks that previously held maderia.

Very smooth with a slight sweetness that you don't find in many traditional oak cask whiskeys. I keep at least two bottles in my house at any given time.

I've yet to try either their sherry wood or peated whiskys. I believe they've also started to produce some others done in different casks again.

Tangerines fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 25, 2016

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

If your in Arizona or California and want to try something different, give Del Bac whiskies from Hamilton Distillers a try. The unsmoked classic is makes for a great sipping whiskey and the mesquite Dorado is really unique.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm mesquite smoked malt now there's something different. Interesting.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Brown-Forman (Jack Daniels) has purchased the BenRiach Distillery Co. (Benriach, Glendronach & Glenglassaugh)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

Brown-Forman (Jack Daniels) has purchased the BenRiach Distillery Co. (Benriach, Glendronach & Glenglassaugh)

A sad day.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
But expected. Brown-Forman need Scotch in its portfolio. BenRiach needs the capital to expand / build another distillery. This will probably allow it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It seems most of these purchases have been relatively low impact in the past. Does Brown Forman have a history of meddling too much?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

wormil posted:

It seems most of these purchases have been relatively low impact in the past. Does Brown Forman have a history of meddling too much?

Quality of the old forester birthday bourbons has been going down hill, but some of their new stuff (whiskey row series) is an improvement over their standard line. The other whiskeys in their portfolio are largely garbage.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has Buffalo Trace gone up in price in the past few years? I remember it being $20-21, $18 on sale. I just went to a liquor store yesterday planning on buying it and it was up to $25. Is that just the store?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has Buffalo Trace gone up in price in the past few years? I remember it being $20-21, $18 on sale. I just went to a liquor store yesterday planning on buying it and it was up to $25. Is that just the store?

Everything has gone up in price in the past few years because global demand has skyrocketed.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I've seen the regular Buffalo Trace options on the shelf for $30-32.... not worth it at all at that price, as you can get more interesting stuff around there.

Any recommendations on sub-$40 bourbons? Haven't seen anything new and interesting for awhile when casually browsing (NJ).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jahoodie posted:

Any recommendations on sub-$40 bourbons? Haven't seen anything new and interesting for awhile when casually browsing (NJ).

New and interesting? Nah. Everything new around here has been $45+ and after a few bombs I don't bother unless I get a solid recommendation.

I'll throw this out there just in case you haven't tried it --- Fighting Cock is arguably the best value under $20. The only other contenders are EW1783, and AAA. IMO, now that OGD100 has moved beyond $20, FC is the best bourbon under $20.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jahoodie posted:

I've seen the regular Buffalo Trace options on the shelf for $30-32.... not worth it at all at that price, as you can get more interesting stuff around there.

Nothing new is terribly interesting to me.

* Four Roses Single Barrel is still my go-to and it's $40 exactly here in California.
* Basil Hayden's is still a great introductory bourbon to keep around for non-bourbon drinkers you may be hosting.
* For mixing, I pretty much stick to Bulleit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

kidsafe posted:

Everything has gone up in price in the past few years because global demand has skyrocketed.

drat. I also miss being able to get W.L. Weller for $13 on sale, although I'd guess all of that stuff has gone up since people heard one of the WL Wellers is the same mashbill as Pappy. I guess stuff is cheaper around here than it is in a lot of places. I just haven't bought much whiskey in the past few years because I had built up such a reserve that my slow-paced drinking didn't get rid of it until late last year. Are there any decent bourbons around the $20 mark anymore? If I was going to pay $25, I would probably just buy a bottle of Rittenhouse instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Jahoodie posted:

Old Grand Dad bonded is suppose to be pretty good.