Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ColdBlooded posted:

The good news, well as good as it can be with an incoming PC majority, is that people already hate Pallister so if the NDP get their poo poo together, they'll have a decent chance at winning the next election in 2020.

Selinger is obviously gone after tomorrow; I wouldn't be shocked if he lost his seat too, but I have no idea who would replace him as leader. Andrew Swan? Kevin Chief? Theresa Oswald would be ok, but the optics of her not running for re-election would be kind of bad if she threw her name in right away.

Steve Ashton :barf:

Oswald would be my top choice, she should have won the leadership in the challenge and she's also done a good job in whatever cabinet positon she's been thrown in.

apatheticman posted:

I have a friendly bet with a friend to see what crown corp will be sold off first.

Hydro seems to big.

MPI is my front runner.

I think he will turf Bipole III immediately, but Keeyask is too far along to cancel I think? I can't see him selling off Hydro especially after what Ontario has gone through

MPI is as good as gone

MLCC and LGA will probably survive. Pallister is the kind of guy that doesn't want people to have more access to liquor and gambling.

There's a ton of smaller Crown Corps that can be downsized and merged so you know he's going barebones there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alright you assholes made me look up this case. Seems like he got 10 years because of a guilty plea. If the justice system didn't give a good discount for guilty pleas, nobody would agree to them. If everything goes to trial, the already overburdened justice system would grind to a halt. It's the cost of doing business.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Can you motherfuckers stop acting like you are shocked and appalled everytime PT6A calls for blood? He will reply to every single post you make signalling your disgust in him.

I'm starting to think you guys get off on it and it's RUINING my crapper reading.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Alright you assholes made me look up this case. Seems like he got 10 years because of a guilty plea. If the justice system didn't give a good discount for guilty pleas, nobody would agree to them. If everything goes to trial, the already overburdened justice system would grind to a halt. It's the cost of doing business.

This may be true, but at the same time it demonstrates the problem with plea bargains and pleading to lessor charges in serious cases. In this case, in my opinion, the judge should never have accepted the agreed upon sentence recommendation. To the large majority of Canadians, a 10 year sentence for the actions of the offender is grossly inadequate, especially given how parole works.

The justice system is not just for rehabilitation, or punishment, or the protection of society; it is also there to signal societies disapproval of certain actions. The man, in a pre-meditated fashion, sexually assaulted a child, beat her, and left her for dead. By agreeing to a 10 year sentence the judge conveys a level of denouncement that is far less than what Canadian society would find acceptable. Actions like this undermine the administration of justice in the eyes of the general populace and weaken trust in the judicial system.

I'm not a tough on crime zealot. I believe strongly in rehabilitation, in alternate sentencing, and in second chances for people. I don't like minimum sentencing laws, or in any laws that remove judicial discretion. Nor do I believe in "justice for victims" or other such bullshit. Crimes are not committed against victims, crimes are committed against society. I just believe that confidence in the justice system is fundamentally the most important aspect that should guide sentencing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's easy to accept the outcome of the trial as one of the many unfortunate and necessary compromises that life inevitably produces. It's just silly when someone gets actively offended by the idea that a non-jurist could possibly express misgivings that somebody who raped a seven year old, beat them into a 5 day coma, and then left them naked in the snow was only sentenced to ten years. It's possible to accept the logic of a ruling without feeling like it really achieved a just outcome.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If there is an underlying distrust that the prosecution can adequately judge their chances of success and base a sentence recommendation to reflect this then you are handcuffing them in a lot of cases and will end up most likely letting people walk who would otherwise be in jail. The evidence that is being used to clamour for a longer sentence (his admission) was obtained by the sentence itself. Unless you suggest that offering pleas and then saying "a ha got you! " and taking the admission to trial is the direction our justice system should take?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Math You posted:

Can you motherfuckers stop acting like you are shocked and appalled everytime PT6A calls for blood? He will reply to every single post you make signalling your disgust in him.

I'm starting to think you guys get off on it and it's RUINING my crapper reading.

It seems to me that lots of uninformed people would share his concern that the sentence was wrong, so it's a good conversation to have. :shrug:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It seems to me that lots of uninformed people would share his concern that the sentence was wrong, so it's a good conversation to have. :shrug:

Except that this issue like every other one people discuss with him gets filtered through his narcissism. And the other side plays right into it because trying to reform his dumb opinions becomes a sounding board for them to show how clever they are.

CanPol is a garbage thread every time this pattern repeats and it happens all the time now.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PhilippAchtel posted:

Except that this issue like every other one people discuss with him gets filtered through his narcissism. And the other side plays right into it because trying to reform his dumb opinions becomes a sounding board for them to show how clever they are.

CanPol is a garbage thread every time this pattern repeats and it happens all the time now.

Nobody's forcing you to read it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If we didn't have stupid details on a regular basis, the thread would die because there's too little meaningful content to sustain it. Canada's just not a very interesting country.

These derails happen whether I'm around or not, you'll notice. Unless you think impotent bitching about hydro rates (as an example) is somehow more interesting or worthy of repeated and lengthy discussion.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Patrick Spens posted:

Turns out that keeping child rapists away from children is in fact helping people.
Locking someone up for < 10 years and then releasing them without rehabilitation likely has a higher recidivism rate than rehabilitation without imprisonment.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gorau posted:

This may be true, but at the same time it demonstrates the problem with plea bargains and pleading to lessor charges in serious cases.

He didn't plead to lesser charges

Gorau posted:

In this case, in my opinion, the judge should never have accepted the agreed upon sentence recommendation

Again, what is that based on? Your knowledge of the facts of the case, the relevant sentencing principles, and sentences imposed on similar offenders? Or your knee jerk reaction from reading an ugly set of facts

Gorau posted:

To the large majority of Canadians, a 10 year sentence for the actions of the offender is grossly inadequate, especially given how parole works.

To you and the comments section on cbc.ca maybe
Citation needed on the majority of Canadians

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

In other news Ric McIver leader of the PCs in Alberta throws a temper tantrum and is shocked that his actions have consequences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/dispute-over-ruling-gets-pc-leader-ric-mciver-kicked-out-of-legislature-1.3542009
McIver is the kind of guy who was only successful when he was on the side of the majority.

He seemingly does not understand optics and clearly thinks that his (effective short-term, paralyzing long-term) tactics from Calgary city council will continue to be effective as leader of a dying provincial party.

His spiritual successor on Calgary city council, Sean Chu, is having less success now that he, too, is in the minority. He has the occasional bozo eruption where he screams at city staff about bike lanes or gets censured for accusing Nenshi of forming a conspiracy to gerrymander his home riding out of his control.

I believe English has a word for people who use a position of power to get what they want.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 19, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's not okay to make fun of Sean Chu, because judging on the word salad he spews forth on a regular basis, I suspect he may actually be legitimately mentally ill. McIver is just a moron (and a Jesus nut who marched with the guy who claimed the big flood in Calgary was because of the gays).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

It's not okay to make fun of Sean Chu, because judging on the word salad he spews forth on a regular basis, I suspect he may actually be legitimately mentally ill.

You're too black, stupid kettle, says the frothing autistic pot

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

terrorist ambulance posted:

To you and the comments section on cbc.ca maybe
Citation needed on the majority of Canadians

There was a study a few years ago that 60% of Canadians would support the return of the death penalty for murder. I bet you'd find even more people to support it for crimes like this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Guy-Paul Morin may disagree. Then again so would all the people killed during their murderer's "second chance".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There are many very good reasons we shouldn't have the death penalty, but "people who are factually guilty of these heinous crimes don't actually deserve to die" isn't among those reasons.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The length of the sentence in Paul's case is probably immaterial: the most likely outcome of spending any custodial time is that he gets murdered in prison.

Either that, or he'll get released, have no supports, wind up on the street, and get killed there. Please note this isn't any revenge fantasy on my part; just an observation that people marked as 'skinners' and 'goofs' on the street in Alberta have a severely limited life expectancy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You should recognize that your desire to kill a bunch of criminals is not typical, let alone universal.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fine with the death penalty, but only for electoral / control fraud, with a guilty-until-proved-innocent kangaroo court.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

You should recognize that your desire to kill a bunch of criminals is not typical, let alone universal.

I don't have a desire to kill this rear end in a top hat or indeed any criminals, and I don't think our system should have a death penalty. That doesn't mean people can't do something so bad that they deserve to die, it just means that we should exercise mercy and not kill them even if we would be justified in doing so.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Certainly gives an insight to the thousands of other missing and murdered indigenous women. The inquiry is definitely worth the millions if they can find some kind of solution to these regular tragedies.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lets not take half measures when we talk about revenge punishment.

Just execute the people, it would be better for everyone involved.

The revenge fetishists get their jollies, the victim gets closure, society doesn't have to pay to keep the person around, the person doesn't have to live 25 years in a concrete cell. Wins all around.

Let's not hide what revenge punishment is.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Locking someone up for < 10 years and then releasing them without rehabilitation likely has a higher recidivism rate than rehabilitation without imprisonment.

I'm in favour of locking him up for more than ten years, and we do in fact have rehabilitation programs in prison that he can use there.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

apatheticman posted:

I have a friendly bet with a friend to see what crown corp will be sold off first.

I'd actually go with none of the above. All along, he's appealed to dumb shortsighted people with his tactics as opposition leader and premiership candidate, and selling off a crown corp is easy even for dummies to figure out so he'll probably steer clear. I think instead he's going to gut education and healthcare instead, mostly in ways people won't understand because they'd have to do math and poo poo to figure it out. If he gets a second mandate, then he'll start pillaging crown corps.

I'm so disappointed in Selinger that next time around, I seriously doubt if I can vote for anybody in the MB NDP unless there isn't a single motherfucker running as candidate who ever sat with him running next time around (with the exceptions of the ones who rebelled or bailed out obviously).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 19, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Lets not take half measures when we talk about revenge punishment.

Just execute the people, it would be better for everyone involved.

The revenge fetishists get their jollies, the victim gets closure, society doesn't have to pay to keep the person around, the person doesn't have to live 25 years in a concrete cell. Wins all around.

Let's not hide what revenge punishment is.

Check death row statistics in the States.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

I'd actually go with none of the above. All along, he's appealed to dumb shortsighted people with his tactics as opposition leader and premiership candidate, and selling off a crown corp is easy even for dummies to figure out so he'll probably steer clear. I think instead he's going to gut education and healthcare instead, mostly in ways people won't understand because they'd have to do math and poo poo to figure it out. If he gets a second mandate, then he'll start pillaging crown corps.

I'm so disappointed in Selinger that next time around, I seriously doubt if I can vote for anybody in the MB NDP unless there isn't a single motherfucker running as candidate who ever sat with him running next time around (with the exceptions of the ones who rebelled or bailed out obviously).

Selinger had one job this election and that was to prove he was trustworthy enough to continue running the province and he spent all his time mudslinging and trying to bring Pallister down to his level rather than bring himself up.

I agree that it's longshot to think he will sell someone. His gutting will probably come in the form of all the adminstration behind healthcare, education and emergency services which will be applauded because administration and management=beaucracy to conservatives.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

El Scotch posted:

They have issues sourcing their drugs from the compounding pharmacies and the 'ethical use only' drug makers :argh:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

I agree that it's longshot to think he will sell someone. His gutting will probably come in the form of all the adminstration behind healthcare, education and emergency services which will be applauded because administration and management=beaucracy to conservatives.

Conservative supporters I know sincerely believe that the solution to most problems is to eliminate "fat cats" in all of these areas. Therefore, it only makes sense to put a man with a six car garage home on Wellington and a second home in Costa Rica in charge. To deal with "fat cats".

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

Trudeau says he is ‘proud to be a feminist arms dealer’

OTTAWA - Earlier today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reaffirmed his support for feminism, and for making billions of dollars in the sales of military supplies to despotic regimes, in an hour-long press conference punctuated by repeated cheers and applause.

“I am going to keep saying loud and clear that I AM a feminist,” Trudeau declared. “And that I AM going to keep selling weapons to an oppressive regime that imposes travel and employment bans on women, until both statements are met with a shrug!”

Trudeau confirmed that the Liberal Party’s gender-balanced cabinet discussed the deal and are in full support of ensuring the continuation of the deal with the patriarchal House of Saud. For its part, Saudi Arabia is excited about the deal.

“Really any military equipment is just so helpful,” gushed Saudi Arabia’s defence minister Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud. “We’ll now be much more efficient in our policing of the Shi’a minority. Mass arrests and public execution of political dissidents will be a breeze with the new LAVs.”

After receiving a whispered message from one of his aides, he added, “I mean, not those things. Just ISIS. All the Canadian stuff is just for fighting ISIS.”

Trudeau continued to expound on the importance of protecting human rights: “I continue to hear politicians say they want to act on things like feminism, but that ‘it’s hard’ or ‘the timing isn’t right’. We must challenge this. It’s the same with selling weapons. It’s always ‘Oh, you’re helping sustain a government that mistreats foreign workers, and has a persistent record of seriously violating the basic rights of its own citizens.”

“You know, we have to challenge that, too. It’s a lot easier, though, right? Because we can buy so many cool things.”

Trudeau ended the press conference by aiming an LAV’s anti-tank missile gun at a large sign that read THE PATRIARCHY, and blowing the sign to smithereens.

The beav is on point today.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

apatheticman posted:

In other news Ric McIver leader of the PCs in Alberta throws a temper tantrum and is shocked that his actions have consequences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/dispute-over-ruling-gets-pc-leader-ric-mciver-kicked-out-of-legislature-1.3542009

so what was he getting mad about? that the speaker had predecided to accept a valid ammendment? did that happen? is that bad?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Before advocating the death of people you should try to learn something about the subject matter you want them dead over I think that's fair

And exactly which subject matter do you think we need to know more about - paedophilia, rape or attempted murder?

Your commitment to our legal system is touching, but you're gravely mistaken if you believe that any more than a tiny fraction of Canadians think that ten years in prison and then out is in any way a proportionate sentence for such a heinous crime. I'd stake my last dollar on that.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

El Scotch posted:

Just use a bullet in the head. The person/party who advocates for the revenge killing should be the one to pull the trigger as well so they can feel the perfect revenge feeling they've always wanted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

so what was he getting mad about? that the speaker had predecided to accept a valid ammendment? did that happen? is that bad?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ric-mciver-legislature-dispute-1.3542009

I believe you are correct. I can't figure out what he's so pissed off about, but it's an amendment to a motion about parental choice in schools, which is probably code for some useless Jesus nonsense he's trying to push.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the PCs win here in Manitoba. It's inevitable at this point.

And once everything is hosed up I can go: loving told you so.

MPI going up is gonna suck - I already pay $180 or so a month. It's not a huge deal - but goddamn it'll suck for people who make less. But I guess they can use our reliable Winnipeg Transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

David Corbett posted:

And exactly which subject matter do you think we need to know more about - paedophilia, rape or attempted murder?

Your commitment to our legal system is touching, but you're gravely mistaken if you believe that any more than a tiny fraction of Canadians think that ten years in prison and then out is in any way a proportionate sentence for such a heinous crime. I'd stake my last dollar on that.

What about the strength of the crowns case, the amount of evidence, the likelihood of conviction....