Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

killstealing posted:

why did I just read melee dps jobs suck at aoe when monks exist

Because monks don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Illuen posted:

I've gotten my paladin up to Heavensward content, and I've found that using legacy movement makes it so easy to back out of AOEs, but it also makes turning a pain in the rear end. Is there a way in settings to combine the backwards running of legacy with the sideways movement of standard mode?

Technically, yes. A and D are bound to "left" and "right" by default, rebind them to "strafe left" and "strafe right". Holding both of these will also make you walk backwards.

However, there's a downside to this, which is holding reverse and left/right makes you walk, not run in that direction.

e:

Solumin posted:

What are the chances of Heavensward going on sale on Steam soon? I've hit 50 on my Warrior, and while I don't mind leveling other classes, I want to continue going full :black101:

I got ARR on steam for $10 around the time 2.4 released, so it should go on sale soon-ish. Unless they're already selling a lot of copies/have a lot of subs.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 18, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I ran as a PLD for the first time in 60DR last night since the re-balance and was actually pretty impressed with how the class felt. In shield oath, 1 flash + CoS kept all monsters appropriately aggro'd on me. For bosses, I'd hit the boss with rage of halone combos twice, and then switch to sword oath for the rest of the fight using goring blade and then 2 royal authority combos and repeating it without losing aggro.

Overall the class feels a lot better and I won't hate on it (until a further patch ruins it!). DRK is still my favorite to play, despite being nerfed in 3.2, and I don't think moving dark arts from 5 seconds to 3 seconds fixes that. WAR is still fantastic, and getting in a berserk triple crit fell cleave in is probably the thing that pumps me up the most in a fight.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I just made an alt, is there any way to copy paste my UI setup or something?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Monks do sicknasty AoE DPS, but only when Perfect Balance is up (which it is not for every pull unless you're pulling absurdly slowly), and the Rockbreaker spam will destroy their TP so they either need Paeon or a rest before the next pull. Black mages and summoners, especially summoners, do really high AoE damage without the conditional (BLMs do a lot more AoE when Convert is up for double/triple flare, but they still do plenty without) and in a sustainable rotation that doesn't run them dry.

Even without PB, using Rockbreaker every third hit is still respectable damage on 3+ targets and very sustainable. Though yeah, if you are three minutes out from the next boss just hit that PB button and go ham on the trash with Rockbreaker spam.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Captainsalami posted:

I just made an alt, is there any way to copy paste my UI setup or something?

Documents/My Games/Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn/FFXIV_CHR(numbers)

This is where all the data files are stored. Just copy whichever ones you want and paste them into the other character's folder. To figure out which character is which, I went by the windows date last modified information.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Thanks Yuki!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This weekend was a colossal waste of time.

I spent about two hours gathering to make collectibles (forgetting to turn on collectible synthesis a couple of times along the way) to get the blue scrip to buy the book to make the item for resale that as it turns out, I can't actually make because I can't do 60*** crafting.

All because I happened to see some HQ Eikon Mythrite on the AH going for a stupid undercut. Like, 5K below NQ undercut. :thatsdarksoulscrafting:

So then I went and did something even more of a waste of time and redecorated my room instead. :rolleyes:

Because I can't always be arsed to run back to Ishgard every time I need to make an astronometric measurement, or change the powder load on my guns. Anyone know of other tinkery poo poo I can stick on my workbench? Heck, does anyone know if you can stick tabletop items onto the crafting benches? I might just swap that ghetto one out for a GSM bench.

May as well lean into the Astrologian thing.

I do not have a Carbuncle problem..... yet.

The brobro, viewed directly across from the desk. =(

Edgelord? Mourning? Actually, I just got it this month and glamoured it over all my tank armor while I level DRK. PLD made for a better screenshot, though.

seiferguy posted:

I ran as a PLD for the first time in 60DR last night since the re-balance and was actually pretty impressed with how the class felt. In shield oath, 1 flash + CoS kept all monsters appropriately aggro'd on me. For bosses, I'd hit the boss with rage of halone combos twice, and then switch to sword oath for the rest of the fight using goring blade and then 2 royal authority combos and repeating it without losing aggro.

Overall the class feels a lot better and I won't hate on it (until a further patch ruins it!). DRK is still my favorite to play, despite being nerfed in 3.2, and I don't think moving dark arts from 5 seconds to 3 seconds fixes that. WAR is still fantastic, and getting in a berserk triple crit fell cleave in is probably the thing that pumps me up the most in a fight.

Well, that's good to hear. Maybe now people can stop spamming Flash for threat and start using it for the Blind. That passive always seemed pointless when you had to diminishing return it into oblivion with two or three pops just to get and hold initial aggro.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 18, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Even without PB, using Rockbreaker every third hit is still respectable damage on 3+ targets and very sustainable. Though yeah, if you are three minutes out from the next boss just hit that PB button and go ham on the trash with Rockbreaker spam.

Hell, even if you're less than three minutes out, an extra Rockbreaker spammed trash pull will probably speed up the run and pad your total dps numbers, more than getting GL3 on GCD #3 instead of GCD #7 on the next boss.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, between Invigorate and Purification if you have it, Monks have solid sustained AoE. Plus you get to toss in Elixir Field and Howling Fist if the dungeon lets you.

Melee classes don't last as long as the casters, but MNKs have very respectable AoE. As long as they stay far away from Arm of the Destroyer.

Could you extrapolate on the Arm of the Destroyer bit? I've heard this before, but I don't recall ever seeing an explanation in those instances. Is it really better to use the single target Opo skills over Arm when AOEing while PB is down? Is that a hard rule, or is there a target count when you wanna start using Arm after all?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Yeah I did the Coeurlregina fate yesterday as Paladin(I actually forgot I was on it until I got to the fate, meant to DPS,) and kept hate for an incredibly long time just in Sword Oath doing Halone, Goring, Royal Authority in rotation until some super try hard monk managed to rip it away briefly. The buffed enmity generation on Savage Blade is incredible.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

i am tim! posted:

Could you extrapolate on the Arm of the Destroyer bit? I've heard this before, but I don't recall ever seeing an explanation in those instances. Is it really better to use the single target Opo skills over Arm when AOEing while PB is down? Is that a hard rule, or is there a target count when you wanna start using Arm after all?

Yes; five. You might go down to four if you feel you crit so much that you can say your HotD will have the extra 25 potency from crits (i.e., at least one target will be crit every time you use HotD). Note that this doesn't take into account that it is a horrible TP hog and that you will very quickly be cutting into TP you could have been using to Rockbreaker.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

i am tim! posted:

Five or in certain situations you want the silence. The more you use Arm though the less TP you'll have for Rockbreakers and the faster you'll run out which nerfs your damage pretty hard. Also Rockbreaker is still blunt damage so it benefits from Dragon Kick.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Gotcha, I never really thought about it in terms of "TP that could be used for More Rockbreakers" and that makes a good bit of sense. I'm going to assume that you deffo want to spread that Dragon Kick during Opo stance, or at least that's what makes the most sense to me for that rotation.

Related question I suppose: in the odd two mob pull, am I doing it right by trying to keep my DOTs up on both targets?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You can spread Dragon Kick but I usually only do my 'this mob is going to die really soon so I'll get the most benefit by Dragon Kicking this other dude in prep for switching my focus to him.' Or in other words, my non-PB AoE rotation is the exact same as my Single Target rotation except I Rockbreaker instead of Snap Punch/Demolish.

I typically don't bother with Touch of Death on non bosses but the only thing stopping you from spreading your debuffs on two targets is your mental stamina weaving between them.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I did it. I did the thing.

edit: also this happened today

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
e. nevermind

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

My first week of the game a goon had newbies play hide and go seek and I won a fat cat :3:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Gotcha, I never really thought about it in terms of "TP that could be used for More Rockbreakers" and that makes a good bit of sense. I'm going to assume that you deffo want to spread that Dragon Kick during Opo stance, or at least that's what makes the most sense to me for that rotation.

Related question I suppose: in the odd two mob pull, am I doing it right by trying to keep my DOTs up on both targets?

Demolish absolutely yes, it's fantastic damage and you're coming out ahead so long as the mob even lasts another 3-4 GCDs (and you come out way ahead if it ticks for the full duration).

Touch of Death is mostly just for bosses: it has to tick for a lot of its duration to outdamage your regular combo moves, and trash mobs may not live that long.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Congrats on your {Fat Cat}!

I had my retainer out for ventures for weeks upon weeks and never saw one...and then proceeded to get them three days in a row, somehow

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

please never stop being you

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RIP 3.2 cash flows.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Who can I terrorize for free HQ WAR gear and food? I'm not sure who crafts what. My character name is Vallerin Robairlaint if it helps. Send a mail if you want to help kit out some idiot who can't fairly repay you for your time.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moochewmoo posted:

Who can I terrorize for free HQ WAR gear and food? I'm not sure who crafts what. My character name is Vallerin Robairlaint if it helps. Send a mail if you want to help kit out some idiot who can't fairly repay you for your time.

I'll try to catch you online, I can make anything you need up to 50+, and then the game starts making GBS threads HQ gear on you.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The "Catgirls" was a nice touch.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What's a good way to level alt classes? I generally will just do dungeons on healers and DPS, but I don't really feel like spending several hundred thousand gil to get all HQ leveling gear for my PLD sub-50, so dungeons are probably out because I'd lose aggro, but central highlands and northern thanalan fate parties only show up every so often.

Dungeons, dungeons and dungeons.

You can tank sub-50 with "less than optimal gear" just fine, just number tag the mob you're engaging - helps a lot. If you're still struggling, just spam flash like some crazed firecracker.

FATE grinding now doesn't really make sense, and is also AIDS.

PS: Don't forget to blow your battlecraft leves

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I always forget about leves so I've been at 100 allowed for weeks. Sometimes I'll do a handful of them for ventures or something, or if I feel like going for the 100 enemies challenge for my Chocobo, but I usually feel like my limited gaming time is better spent in a dungeon, just in terms of raw reward. I also can't do GC levels with my bird out, so that diminishes my desire to do them.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Leofish posted:

I always forget about leves so I've been at 100 allowed for weeks. Sometimes I'll do a handful of them for ventures or something, or if I feel like going for the 100 enemies challenge for my Chocobo, but I usually feel like my limited gaming time is better spent in a dungeon, just in terms of raw reward. I also can't do GC levels with my bird out, so that diminishes my desire to do them.

You can knock like 10 out of the park in one sitting if you wanted, though you do lose out on some XP versus if you did them all individually.

Nothing beats chain queuing for dungeons, but yeah you're mostly right about the time/xp reward - that was just in case he wanted a break from dungeons, or for some ungodly reason - feared the wrath of losing aggro to let some mobs beat dumb pubbies that don't engaged marked targets as a Sub-50 Pally in DF.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

The relevance of this is surprising, because me and a couple of FCmates had to do Turn 9 clears for other FCmates a week ago and snagged some Faded Copies of The Rise of the White Raven, which are supposed to (and still do) go for 2.1m. None of them have sold.

...Anyway, more relevance: I happen to be levelling a Monk right now and read up on the "don't use AotD ever" and "smack everything with Demolish, save ToD for bosses" tidbits. Any more pearls of wisdom I could use?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

...Anyway, more relevance: I happen to be levelling a Monk right now and read up on the "don't use AotD ever" and "smack everything with Demolish, save ToD for bosses" tidbits. Any more pearls of wisdom I could use?

If you're not already doing so, use Form Shift to coeurl stance (aka #3) before every encounter (trash or boss, including breaks during boss fights where you lose stacks) so you can go straight into a Snap Punch/Demolish/Rockbreaker and get GL1 (or sustain existing GL in the case of fast pulls or a brief break during a boss) right off the bat on your first hit.

This will occasionally get sabotaged by a dumbass tank who pulls unpredictably, e.g. waits for you to shift to coeurl stance, waits about 8 seconds more for no explicable reason, then pulls just as you're shifting back around through to get a fresh timer on coeurl stance. (Those same tanks are pretty good at wasting galvanize, especially deployment tactics critloquium.) But for the most part, it works well and gets you going faster.

This advice is applicable whether or not you're gonna be using Perfect Balance. If you do use PB in that pull, do that initial attack courtesy of Form Shift and then pop PB.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Quick question: in my big bard pre-pull buff-o-thon, should I use Raging Strikes before Hawk's Eye, or the other way around, or does it not matter?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In addition, don't be afraid to blow your oGCD abilities - they can add a lot of DPS and have a short recovery time anyway. There are some fights where you might want to save Mythril Peak for the stun or Shoulder Tackle to close the gap, but if the boss doesn't call for it, use away (taking buff timing into account though).

Cross-classing Fracture is a slight DPS increase, but it's also the least important - get your rotation and fundamentals down first before working it in.

It's probably the least important tip, but don't be afraid to shift Forms if you need to, like Fists of Earth right before a big attack, or Wind in fights like the last fight of Gubal.

Hyperactive posted:

Quick question: in my big bard pre-pull buff-o-thon, should I use Raging Strikes before Hawk's Eye, or the other way around, or does it not matter?

Probably go Hawk's Eye first to squeeze more uptime out of RS's bigger buff, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hyperactive posted:

Shouldn't matter but I'm not at home to double check.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Can I get a forums auth? The auto auth doesnt seem to be picking it up.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Drumstick posted:

Can I get a forums auth? The auto auth doesnt seem to be picking it up.
Authed.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

SL the Pyro posted:

The relevance of this is surprising, because me and a couple of FCmates had to do Turn 9 clears for other FCmates a week ago and snagged some Faded Copies of The Rise of the White Raven, which are supposed to (and still do) go for 2.1m. None of them have sold.

Orchestrion music is kind of a crappy market. Prices're mostly high because of low supply. People will throw up their music for a bit below what the existing copies (some of which have been up since shortly after 3.2) are selling for and then forget about it. You can see what people are actually willing to pay for music based on the CT stuff. When supply went up and prices crashed, the amount of people buying skyrocketed.

Basically, if you want to move music quickly, drop it to a million or so and hope you shock someone into buying. Otherwise, keep it at 2+ million and hope someone comes along eventually. My guess is you'll see a spurt of people buying again with 3.3.

We're in the mid patch doldrums right now, and will be until 3.3. Supply and demand always spike after a patch then drop until a lot of stuff is all but dead. This is going to suck for people trying to make money. What's going to make things worse is that people who want to get a house in 3.3 are going to try to make or save up money, which means more people selling and less buying.

Adventure Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 19, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you are OK with doing the Temple battlecraft leves, you can quickly start earning allowances again. Less efficient but still worth doing if you don't want to commit a ton of time.

Also the temple leve chests drop 5 Amber Vilekin when they appear, so that is potential supplemental income from the vilekin-purchased music rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also you can buy white jewelry that still sells well on the marketboard for amber vilekins. You can get them from regular leves as well, but iirc only one drops per chest.

• Locked thread