Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NESguerilla posted:

Outside of the admittedly cool initial effect I absolutely loving hate anor londo . lovely boss run. lovely boss. Can't summon because you'll just get invaded while the summons fail. This is not fun at all.

??? The boss run is a straight line, past some enemies you can easily roll by. you did open the big gate, right? And kill the spider wolf thing??

Barudak posted:

Nah That's not Ornstein. You find out what happened to him and get all of his gear if you beat the optional area

Ok I guess, but that's not as cool, to me :colbert:

Also, what are all the item discovery poo poo things, again? Symbol of Avarice, Golden Serpent... what else? I want to farm the swordgrass dudes.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Well first playthough is finished. Ended around SL90. Really kinda pissed off that after I killed the final boss I went back and cleaned out Consumed Garden and found the keepers eyes in the graves. Motherfucker. Oh well something new for NG+ I suppose.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, Leeches and enemies that reduce your max HP! What a great idea!

Also, I'm pretty sure I missed a bonfire in the Profaned Capital, so I gotta start from the beginning of Irithyll Dungeon. :shepicide:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of NG+, does it substantively change anything? I wanna try a dex/int hybrid, and I'm split between starting over with a new man, or rolling into ng+ and turning my quality build into a quality build that also has spells.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

??? The boss run is a straight line, past some enemies you can easily roll by. you did open the big gate, right? And kill the spider wolf thing??

Yeah I just think it's lame having to deal with those pyromancers right at the door.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What are the shields with the best parry frames in this game?

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of NG+, does it substantively change anything? I wanna try a dex/int hybrid, and I'm split between starting over with a new man, or rolling into ng+ and turning my quality build into a quality build that also has spells.

Nope!

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I just think it's lame having to deal with those pyromancers right at the door.

You can sprint past every enemy. Their fireballs have the laziest tracking.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NESguerilla posted:

I mean unless you're summoning or trying to be summoned you can just roll right by,

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Jia posted:

Nameless King phase one is the shittiest boss fight in the loving world, it's so awful

By awful you mean so easy it's trivial? I was doing it without getting hit towards the end of my attempts at that boss.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pontiff was kinda tricky but it was a fun battle nonetheless. I mean, moveset-wise he's basically Fume Knight with a couple extra tricks.

I need to break this crazy estus budget obsession for the final battle. "Oh the second half will be really hard so I can only take three sips for the first". That way lies sadness.

Doesn't help that I've missed a shitton of estus shards and at least one ash.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Shortest Path posted:

There were people who thought Gwyn was hard? :psyduck:

He had the most obvious telegraphed attack animation in the game for you to parry. I wiped the floor with him and I couldn't even get the Silver Knight parry timing down right.

I cannot recall a final boss in any video game being as much of a chump as Gwyn.

Parrying Gwyn wasn't common knowledge until the game had been out for at least a couple months. If you didn't know/think to try parrying him, he was suitably difficult.

Doctobear
Apr 18, 2016
Had the wierdest thing happen today . I got summoned by someone in the Halfway Fortress . I got loaded in and found two mad summons . In the end they died but there were 3 coop-summoned but no summoner, Has this happened to anyone else?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Also, what are all the item discovery poo poo things, again? Symbol of Avarice, Golden Serpent... what else? I want to farm the swordgrass dudes.

Rusted coins and offhand crystal rapier from the crystal sage transposition. I just finished farming swordgrass. Onto ears.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nanomashoes posted:

By awful you mean so easy it's trivial? I was doing it without getting hit towards the end of my attempts at that boss.

So was I. That doesn't make it good. It basically exists just to waste your time and maybe burn some resources through attrition. Its a Souls boss where the main enemy is the camera and those are always the loving worst.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

enojy posted:

Parrying Gwyn wasn't common knowledge until the game had been out for at least a couple months. If you didn't know/think to try parrying him, he was suitably difficult.

It was in the guide, but on my first run-through I was a huge baby and instead tanked him with a spear, a black-knight shield and fire-damage resisting gear. Poking god to death did not feel very dramatic.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

Outside of the admittedly cool initial effect I absolutely loving hate anor londo . lovely boss run. lovely boss. Can't summon because you'll just get invaded while the summons fail. This is not fun at all.

I never got invaded but that part is cool.

But you really need to have a fire weapon handy 'cause them slimes are a bitch

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

Pontiff was kinda tricky but it was a fun battle nonetheless. I mean, moveset-wise he's basically Fume Knight with a couple extra tricks.

I need to break this crazy estus budget obsession for the final battle. "Oh the second half will be really hard so I can only take three sips for the first". That way lies sadness.

Doesn't help that I've missed a shitton of estus shards and at least one ash.

i had so much more trouble with the fume knight than pontiff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Not sure if this happened to everybody else, but fighting the giant demon in the mimic room in the catacombs? All I had to do was goad the demon to shoot fire at me while I was at the top of the stairs.

Everytime said demon would chase after me, he'd run up the stairs, and then slowly back himself down the stairs because It was way past his "Aggro" range. It let me sneak in at least three shots to where i'd run back up and rinse and repeat. It took about maybe 4-5 turns of the same thing happening, but it was supremely easy so long as you don't get bored or cocky, and accidentally walk into the one or two skeletons that could spawn.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Icehole you and I have a reached a parity of being at the exact same place in the game.

I raised the gate (bridge?) and then got too drunk to continue. Do I need to go back up and cross over it? I'm kind of stuck.

Also, is whatever someone said about the darksign/eclipse true, or just bullshit?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I honestly had more trouble with the Smelter Demon than most of the bosses in DS3. I never did any of the crown DLC despite buying the season pass so I can't really comment on those fights.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not sure if this happened to everybody else, but fighting the giant demon in the mimic room in the catacombs? All I had to do was goad the demon to shoot fire at me while I was at the top of the stairs.

Everytime said demon would chase after me, he'd run up the stairs, and then slowly back himself down the stairs because It was way past his "Aggro" range. It let me sneak in at least three shots to where i'd run back up and rinse and repeat. It took about maybe 4-5 turns of the same thing happening, but it was supremely easy so long as you don't get bored or cocky, and accidentally walk into the one or two skeletons that could spawn.

That's what I ended up doing since my attempt at getting the mimic to fight it for me just led to it being killed in one hit, followed by me being killed in one hit.

quote:

I honestly had more trouble with the Smelter Demon than most of the bosses in DS3. I never did any of the crown DLC despite buying the season pass so I can't really comment on those fights.

DS3's bosses are really fun but really easy so far. The hardest one so far is Wolnir just because most of the arena is basically an instant death zone that's constantly shifting.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So is there any solution at all to not being able to enter fog doors when im summoned (and my summons being unable to enter my fog doors)?

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yea I did the same last night, missed the mimic entirely though, will have to go back

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow Gundyr might be my pick for the hardest fight in the game so far

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Like, zoinks, Solaire the mimic was old man gwynn all along!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

One of my favorite Scooby-Doo episodes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So NG+ is literally the same as in Bloodborne? Well that's ok I guess, since the game has more build options, respec feature and more NPC storylines. Still probably gonna start a NG after beating the game because it's harder to adjust to a new build on NG+.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That teleport is some serious troll rear end poo poo when you beat the 3 lords. Lasersnake was such a bitch and I don't even get to use the 60k souls he gave me :fuckoff:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, I've killed like 60 Silver Knights while decked out with full item find gear and still haven't had a single ear drop. I just stop by and kill a few every time I get bored so it's not just tedious hours of grinding, but good lord.

Still pretty dumb that Darkmoons / Sentinels are literally the only covenant that can't just invade with their symbol equipped and get items that way. What the hell is the justification for that when even Sunbros get to do it?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Lakbay posted:

They stack, you absolutely need a fast weapon and they activate after 3 straight sword swings. If you can combo long enough it's a 30% AR increase in both (on paper). In practice the damage boost is so minuscule that you probably won't notice and they probably suck but I made a build around it and I've been sticking to it hoping it'll get buffed (probably not). There's about a 2 second grace period before you lose the buff.

Seems like they could work well with the various faster dual weapons, like Caestus, demon fists, etc. A shame the grace period is so small though, makes it untenable for PvE and in PvP, you probably couldn't keep the combo going long enough before they got away.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Nameless King is down, I didn't break and use summons, either! Thanks to whoever suggested the bloodring and thunderplate ring, made a big difference, way more lenient dodge timing, though to be honest, I kind of felt bad since at some points I just spammed dodge rolls and it managed to work out by sheer luck and iframe length. My final thoughts are that the second phase is rough but fair. The first phase can burn in a camera fire though.

You think they'll ever make the dragon torso stone give armor so it's not straight up useless? What were they thinking?

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 19, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man, I've killed like 60 Silver Knights while decked out with full item find gear and still haven't had a single ear drop. I just stop by and kill a few every time I get bored so it's not just tedious hours of grinding, but good lord.

Still pretty dumb that Darkmoons / Sentinels are literally the only covenant that can't just invade with their symbol equipped and get items that way. What the hell is the justification for that when even Sunbros get to do it?

They just didn't really think it through/laziness :shrug:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I haven't played much Dark Souls pvp, but is there an item that can hide your health? I wailed on a guy and he just didn't seem to take in damage, (chain hits when he dropped down from a ledge) fortunately he was dumb as hell and I managed to trick him into falling to his death.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So since this seems to be a common "gotcha" for people.

After you kill your third lord of cinder and get insta-ported to the next fight, you can homeward bone out before you talk to and/or kill the NPC and start the boss.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

~Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you
We've got an Undead problem!
Scooby Dooby Do, we need you
To link the flame and stop them!

C'mon Scooby Doo, I see you
Pretending you've got some estus
But you're not fooling me, cause I can see
You sipping and running past us!~

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Deacons are my favorite boss to co-op on because they're so helpless you can try out all sorts of wacky stuff. On my sorcerer character I just wade in to the pile and go crazy with the soul greatsword, and Pestilent Mercury works well on the second form because the pope hardly moves so he just sits in the cloud taking continuous damage. It's neat to get a use out of stuff like that since most of the enemies are so mobile they just charge right through it and take minimal damage.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you want to make it even safer, jump down and then run past the demon up the stairs, the skeletons will attack the demon for pretty decent damage and you can pepper him with magic/arrows the whole time.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Deacons are my favorite boss to co-op on because they're so helpless you can try out all sorts of wacky stuff. On my sorcerer character I just wade in to the pile and go crazy with the soul greatsword, and Pestilent Mercury works well on the second form because the pope hardly moves so he just sits in the cloud taking continuous damage. It's neat to get a use out of stuff like that since most of the enemies are so mobile they just charge right through it and take minimal damage.

I tried out all my pyromancies on them, god that fight is fun, especially if you're using the executioner's sword.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

On that note I love that Sunbros get their medal for it because it's technically still jolly cooperation.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wait.. deacons have a second form? I just walked in with a sunbro and we double lightning stormed and they all just fell over. The whole fight took like 10 seconds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mazerunner posted:

Aldritch is a dude snake monster devouring another dude, who was raised as a woman and has tentacles for legs :gay: I didn't have too much trouble with the fight but I can't really offer any trick. Just sort of... get in behind, and close. The fire tracks where he moves/attacks, but if you're behind him it's ok. The one thing is he'll kind of twist around and do a big melee swing back at you, but it's not too bad to dodge. The other thing is the knife storm, which is lovely. The first phase isn't bad, just get behind, but the second phase where it tracks is a bitch. You can run/roll in perpindiculars, but it lasts so long that he'll start another move and that sucks. When he reappears, he almost always does the small homing flurry, which you can dodge while moving in, so that's good at least.

Thanks for the advice (and the horrifying reveal of the nature of what it is :gonk:) - as with most DS fights I'm picking that a few more tries and I'll get it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Another idea for how to fix Darkmoons: give you an ear any time you kill a red phantom while in the Darkmoon covenant. Even if they invade you or summon with a red sign.