Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know manga stuff is happening, but wanted to chime in to say the anime is getting really great. I'm ready for this gungi stuff to be over, but the fact that the enemy's aura made knov go crazy is actually really scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

I know manga stuff is happening, but wanted to chime in to say the anime is getting really great. I'm ready for this gungi stuff to be over, but the fact that the enemy's aura made knov go crazy is actually really scary.

While I like Knov it's kind of ironic that he scolded Killua for being scared of Neferpitou's aura during his first appearance saying that Killua thought Pitou was unbeatable because Pitou was just an unknown factor, and that he panicked and overestimated Pitou because of that.

Then during his first (and not even direct) encounter with the Royal guards breaks his mind. And he is left wondering how Gon and Killua after seeing Pitou up close can even hope to go on fighting.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having watched most of the anime I am really surprised by how the Chimera Ant arc ended. For a story that was easily the darkest that HunterxHunter has been so far to actually have a relatively happy ending caught me off guard.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hunt11 posted:

Having watched most of the anime I am really surprised by how the Chimera Ant arc ended. For a story that was easily the darkest that HunterxHunter has been so far to actually have a relatively happy ending caught me off guard.

Tell that to Pokkle and Ponzu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

Uhhh How was it a happy ending. Everything turned out horribly.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Holy poo poo giant gold dragon? Holy poo poo killua's grandad and the chairman?! :vince:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uhhh How was it a happy ending. Everything turned out horribly.

I am talking about the ending with the village in the NGL and the fact that it seems as though Kite has reincarnated or something like that. Considering just how much hosed up stuff happened during said arc the fact that anything remotely happy came out it was a surprise.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hunt11 posted:

I am talking about the ending with the village in the NGL and the fact that it seems as though Kite has reincarnated or something like that. Considering just how much hosed up stuff happened during said arc the fact that anything remotely happy came out it was a surprise.

A fuckton of people died because Pufu got them sick with his radiation-tainted scales, utterly loving up one of the group's major goals - to reduce harm to the public.

Pokkle and Ponzu are food.

A ton of people were eaten. Or just straight up killed.

The mom got her daughter back but she's never getting her son back.

Chairman's dead.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Holy poo poo netero just beam spammed pitou. I can't even handle how awesome this is.

Fake edit: netero backstory

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A fuckton of people died because Pufu got them sick with his radiation-tainted scales, utterly loving up one of the group's major goals - to reduce harm to the public.

Chairman's dead.

Not entirely true; unless I'm forgetting something there's no reason Colt can't head home now that Kite's revealed to be, well, Kite and not his sister. I don't know if that's what will happen, assuming Togashi even cares to follow up on that, but there's theoretically a happy ending for him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Not entirely true; unless I'm forgetting something there's no reason Colt can't head home now that Kite's revealed to be, well, Kite and not his sister. I don't know if that's what will happen, assuming Togashi even cares to follow up on that, but there's theoretically a happy ending for him.

I don't think Colt remembers his past all too well. He just remembers his brotherly instinct, but I'm sorta unsure if he could ever return to his previous life the way Reina or Lobster Dude did.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well I picked an intense cliffhanger to leave for the night. Them coming out the exit face first with youpi is so crazy. This arc is super long but it looks like every episode from here is going to be unbelievable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gungi is great because the King is AlphaGo except without the part where it beats a human.

E: the word you're looking to describe the ending to Chimera Ants is bittersweet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Chairman's dead.

Also Gon was utterly crippled and the King and Komugi died despite how sympathetic he had become.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Gon was utterly crippled and the King and Komugi died despite how sympathetic he had become.

I call that justice for being a lovely friend.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I picked an intense cliffhanger to leave for the night. Them coming out the exit face first with youpi is so crazy. This arc is super long but it looks like every episode from here is going to be unbelievable.

you don't even know

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

you don't even know

Wasn't that basically where one of the hiatuses occurred? Imagine having to wait almost a year for that cliffhanger to be resolved.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

logger posted:

Wasn't that basically where one of the hiatuses occurred? Imagine having to wait almost a year for that cliffhanger to be resolved.

That hiatus occurred during a chapter where Netero finally comes face to face with the King thank you forreadingunspecifiedhiatusbrbxo.

It was a painful year-long wait.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Artelier posted:

That hiatus occurred during a chapter where Netero finally comes face to face with the King thank you forreadingunspecifiedhiatusbrbxo.

:stare:

I'm immeasurably goddamn glad that I finished watching the anime the very day the latest hiatus was announced to be ending.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
Oh, don't worry, you'll get your chance to wait.

We all wait down here.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

One of my favorite scenes.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Artelier posted:

I read up to the end of Yorkshin arc and stopped because reasons. Coincidentally the time I picked it back up was Right After this hiatus. I had no words for how happy I was that I missed it.

But that was then.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Man Gon can barely keep it together. I want him to punch pitou so drat hard. I feel bad though, he's like scary angry and I'm afraid he's going to end up hating killua.

Fake edit : wtf did killua ditch him?!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope you get punched instead

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kingtheninja posted:

My personal interpretation of that flashback has always been that Netero's hits were so strong, Meruem just innately understood upon impact what he must've done to obtain that level of power.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Meruem could have well had some sort of psychometry power or ability as well

it really doesn't matter exactly how it happened, especially when it was so cool

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Any excuse to show Netero's backstory would have been fine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

My personal interpretation of that flashback has always been that Netero's hits were so strong, Meruem just innately understood upon impact what he must've done to obtain that level of power.

I mean that's kind of explicitly what happens, Meruem even having thoughts and dialogue to the effect of "I have no idea what he did but it must have been some literally crazy poo poo to get this powerful." The actual flashback just being for the viewers' benefit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

NecroMonster posted:

Meruem could have well had some sort of psychometry power or ability as well

it really doesn't matter exactly how it happened, especially when it was so cool

Serious Frolicking posted:

Any excuse to show Netero's backstory would have been fine.

Genocyber posted:

I mean that's kind of explicitly what happens, Meruem even having thoughts and dialogue to the effect of "I have no idea what he did but it must have been some literally crazy poo poo to get this powerful." The actual flashback just being for the viewers' benefit.
Oh yeah, for sure. I never intended for that post to come across as an attempt at "Rationalizing" or "Justifying" what was happening on screen, just when I first saw that episode my gut reactionary thought process was "Dude punched him so hard it communicated his whole life story, this rules."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The flashback to grandpa zoldyck does establish punch-based telepathy

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Would be nice if we could get a gaiden that showed the original trio's exploration of the Dark Continent but of course that will never happen, or if it did, it would never end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Man Gon can barely keep it together. I want him to punch pitou so drat hard. I feel bad though, he's like scary angry and I'm afraid he's going to end up hating killua.

Fake edit : wtf did killua ditch him?!

Why do you want him to punch Pitou when she is the one in the right in their current situation.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Because pitou killed kite

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

because gently caress the ants

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why do you want him to punch Pitou when she is the one in the right in their current situation.

Stupid ants pretty much deserved their demise. Gon did the right thing.

Gyro and all the NGL ants deserved to survive, royal guard and meruem literally had to die for world peace

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
At best, Meruem considered that maybe not all humans should be killed and eaten. It isn't like he had a complete change of heart, and then there was Pouf who would never have agreed to equal coexistence with humans. loving Pouf, man.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The king's hubris was extraordinary. Netero indulged him in single combat, but the price for their crimes and non-humanity was always going to be death.

I love the part when meruem just goes "oh yeah your battle was not in vain... old man, you did good scratching me",
and netero just tells him to gently caress off and then blows him up

posting this page again

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am not the biggest fan of the King or the Chimera Arc as a whole, but yeah, that ending was pretty great. There are not many stories that dwell on the fundamental differences between human and animals as their climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, after so many shounen stuff where weapons prove to be utterly inefficient against the villain, having the King go out via a bomb was so novel.

Even after Meurem came back the poisoning from the bomb still did him in.

Like, the part where the narrative talks about how cheap and affordable the bomb is... that was really something. Something destructive enough to defeat the most powerful creature that we've seen up until now in the manga... and it can be mass produced by dictators.