Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ummmm, where is this option?

Under edit historical officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Under edit historical officers.

I knew I left this installed for a reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whelp, looks like I'm firing up another campaign.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sunset Overdrive is a Games with Gold Free Game for the last half of April. I bought the game and enjoyed it last summer, before trading it in. I've reinstalled it again and I noticed something I had not seen happen last time I played.

I was grinding on a handrail and I saw a group of birds just sitting in the street. On a murderous whim I launched a volley of rocket-fireworks and blew them to pieces. When the dust, colorful fireballs, and feathers settled I noticed three perfectly cooked chicken bodies laying on the street.

I love this game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

TGLT posted:

Unrelated to PvP, I appreciate that the game has more female or feminine monsters, and that they aren't titty spiders.

Don't you dare disparage titty spiders in this house.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Just Offscreen posted:

Don't you dare disparage titty spiders in this house.

The proper term is aracknids anyway.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Paper Tiger posted:

The proper term is aracknids anyway.

:eyepop:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition is a fairly obscure byzantine historical strategy game

Other side of the world, actually.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

maybe it's byzantine in terms of it's complexity

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i'm not sure if they did this in the other games but in dark souls 3 bonewheels are back and do the kaneda pose from akira when they stop in place and switch directions.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Action Tortoise posted:

i'm not sure if they did this in the other games but in dark souls 3 bonewheels are back and do the kaneda pose from akira when they stop in place and switch directions.

More important is that the bonewheel shield is also back allowing for the return of Twisted Metal PVP

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Bonewheel skellys tread that line between little things you like in games and little things dragging games down so well. I loving hate them but it would be weird and disturbing if they never showed up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if you hit a bonewheel kind of hard it falls out of its wheel, and if you let it, it awkwardly crawls back into it, because DS3 is the best game ever made. also a bonehwweel punched me sadly and im pretty sure it only did that for comedy value, because DS3 is the best game ever made.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if you hit a bonewheel kind of hard it falls out of its wheel, and if you let it, it awkwardly crawls back into it, because DS3 is the best game ever made. also a bonehwweel punched me sadly and im pretty sure it only did that for comedy value, because DS3 is the best game ever made.

I don't know how you get "DS3" from "Earth Defense Force 2017" but okay

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
My favorite bonewheel is the one that charges at you when you first enter the pit at the bottom of the catacombs in DS1. Without fail it rolls past you, rubs up against the rock wall for a second, clips through it and falls through the world.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

My favorite bonewheel is the one that charges at you when you first enter the pit at the bottom of the catacombs in DS1. Without fail it rolls past you, rubs up against the rock wall for a second, clips through it and falls through the world.

I had a bonewheel clip through the geometry in DS3, and now I'm not sure if that was a bug or an intentional callback to DS1.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the crestfallen knight in Dark Souls 3, it feels like he has a great reason to have given up. He's heard about the bosses and fallen into a mental trap of "How are we to compete with that?" Also the former kindler on the fifth throne is cool too. :3:. I like him. Also the travelling Sorcerer from the beginning of the Undead Settlement is great too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the crestfallen knight in Dark Souls 3, it feels like he has a great reason to have given up. He's heard about the bosses and fallen into a mental trap of "How are we to compete with that?" Also the former kindler on the fifth throne is cool too. :3:. I like him. Also the travelling Sorcerer from the beginning of the Undead Settlement is great too.

Not just that but He was a former member of the undead legion, the first cinder lord dudes you fight and he bailed on that poo poo and actually thanks you for putting them back to rest, so not only is he expected to fight things he's presumably already bailed on fighting once, but his former comrades are now brought back to life and he's expected to murder them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ArtIsResistance posted:

More important is that the bonewheel shield is also back allowing for the return of Twisted Metal PVP

The real question is whether you can powerstance them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Male Man posted:

The real question is whether you can powerstance them.

They took out power stancing. You know, the coolest thing dark souls 2 added.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth getting Dark Souls 3 if I haven't played any of the other ones? You guys talking about it makes me want to play it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nuebot posted:

They took out power stancing. You know, the coolest thing dark souls 2 added.
Everything you really wanted to powerstance in DS2 (like Caesti and curved swords and other quick-hitting stuff) now has a weapon variant that auto-powerstances you whenever you two-hand, so that takes care of that "problem" nice and easy. The payoff is that I can carousel my giant hammer three times then slam it into a fool, I know what I'm taking. 90% of the time, powerstance sounded really fun (I'LL POWERSTANCE TWINBLADES FOR QUADCOPTEEEER) but ended up being really lame (they just slash downwards like powerstanced halberds), useless (it's loving twinblades) and costing too much Stamina (pretty much all of them...except Caesti).

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is it worth getting Dark Souls 3 if I haven't played any of the other ones? You guys talking about it makes me want to play it.
It's really, really good. However, it is not an easy game to get started with. Though none of the Souls games are, really. I would say that DS1 has the most gentle start (the tutorial level is nice and simple and the beginning of the first area also eases you into things enough, once you start trying to get to the first boss over and over again and failing within seconds it starts to develop a cliff of difficulty you just have to power through and over), then becomes a steady high challenge with a few spikes and dips, DS2 is loving nasty to start with and then becomes a poor imitation game of "heh, traps amirite???" while not actually being hard with few exceptions (it is nice to play, though) and DS3 just starts pretty hard and so far hasn't let go. If you or someone else wants to get into it, keep these in mind:
- Carefully read what the game tells you. Tutorials are one thing, but also use the Select button to see what stats do. Read item descriptions to learn about special weapon features; keys often tell you where their lock is. Check out shopkeeper inventories, see if they have cool stuff to offer. Listen to NPCs.
- Every weapon is viable, test out a bunch and if you like one, upgrade it as far as it can go, having higher damage asap helps a lot.
- Explore, explore, explore. There are a ludicrous number of hidden paths and DS3 is amazing for hiding cool poo poo behind every corner.
- Don't be afraid to say "gently caress it" to one direction of exploration after a few deaths and search for alternate routes instead.
- You do not have to fight every single enemy every single time. Do to try kill everything in a zone at least once so you can safely look for secrets, but if you have done so once, keep an eye out for breakpoints like ladders, cliffs, doors, obvious zone transitions and such where you can lose pursuers. Just run past your problems, it is way better than trying to genocide every enemy every time while on your way to a difficult boss. Also, you are taking the wrong route to the boss, there is a shortcut that is more convenient. This is always true.

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Apr 19, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I grabbed RimWorld on the recommendations from like fifteen pages ago and have been really enjoying it, but after getting a small stable colony set up I had the misfortune of thinking "gosh, I wish something interesting would happen."

My colony was great - enough turrets for a pretty solid defense, low food supplies but nothing approaching starvation, some simple diversions to keep the colonists happy, that sort of thing. To shore up food supplies, I sent a hunter to the other side of the map where a herd of about 50 capybara were chilling out and eating grass and had him hunt one or two a day - no big deal, right?

Well, suddenly this herd of capybara decided it was having none of that. They revolted, and my hunter was swarmed with dozens of large angry rodents who left him bleeding to death on the ground in shock.

Another colonist went out to drag him back to a medical bed for treatment, but the capybara's rage wasn't sated yet and the second colonist had to flee back toward the colony. The rodents showed up at my base and immediately started tearing it apart, overcoming a couple of turrets through sheer numbers before moving on to my solar generators, then the very walls themselves. Eventually, my soldiers and turrets put down the threat, but when all was said and done a ton of damage was done to the base and basically every colonist was severely injured. My colonists now no longer have a food problem, and they have stacks and stacks and stacks of capybara hide, but they will never forget the day they were almost bested by small angry herbivores.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only thing "important" you're missing out by not playing the first two is being able to understand a lot of the callbacks and references going on in DS3. Mechanically they're very similar, but the bosses and fight encounters are varied enough to warrant going through the earlier games at some point even after the sequel.

Along these lines, DS3's final boss is fantastic. Not a "little" thing but gently caress it, I'm gonna rave anyway:

Basically, the boss is everything the development team wanted the final boss from DS1 to be. In his first phase he's an amalgamation of all different player types - heavy knight, sorcerer, agile pyromancer, that sort of thing - and will frequently shift between combat styles to throw you off, and force you to adapt your tactics. Not only is this obviously a mechanical thing, but it's a bit chunk of story; every single fighting style he has at his disposal is a known character archetype the playerbase has developed and played as during the entire trilogy. You're effectively fighting your own past incarnations who have been used as fuel to keep the world's "Fire" going.

However, what's amazing is that when he hits the second phase of the fight, his music gets a lot more dramatic - the orchestra loving explodes and then you hear the first three piano notes from the theme of DS1's final boss, and arguably most important lore character in the story. He inherits every single move he had in the first game and none of the weaknesses, attacking incredibly relentlessly and you're lucky to even have three seconds to yourself. Those three piano chimes are a huge nostalgia rush, they confirm the identity of this guy (which you might have already suspected) and prepare you for a fight that actually feels climactic.

It's such a brilliant encounter and brilliant note to end the series on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From likes to mess with people's expectations from previous games, so sometimes you might even be at a slight advantage starting with 3.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

poptart_fairy posted:

The only thing "important" you're missing out by not playing the first two is being able to understand a lot of the callbacks and references going on in DS3. Mechanically they're very similar, but the bosses and fight encounters are varied enough to warrant going through the earlier games at some point even after the sequel.

Along these lines, DS3's final boss is fantastic. Not a "little" thing but gently caress it, I'm gonna rave anyway:

It's such a brilliant encounter and brilliant note to end the series on.

If you can (as in, if you already own it but never finished it) I would strongly recommend beating Dark Souls 1 before getting into 3. And I 100% agree with poptart_fairy's assessment of the final boss. It owns, the song owns, the game owns, the series owns. Watching the Demon Soul's LP from the archive was one of my best gaming decisions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The worst thing about Demons Souls is you can never play it for the first time again. Honestly that one was my favorite game in the set and I wish they would do a PS4 port of it maybe with some tweaked mechanics to make it slightly less clunky.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

The worst thing about Demons Souls is you can never play it for the first time again. Honestly that one was my favorite game in the set and I wish they would do a PS4 port of it maybe with some tweaked mechanics to make it slightly less clunky.

A friend and I played the poo poo out of Demons Souls for like a month and then the Playstation Network went down and we never played it or another Dark Souls game again. That's the story.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I grabbed RimWorld on the recommendations from like fifteen pages ago and have been really enjoying it, but after getting a small stable colony set up I had the misfortune of thinking "gosh, I wish something interesting would happen."

My colony was great - enough turrets for a pretty solid defense, low food supplies but nothing approaching starvation, some simple diversions to keep the colonists happy, that sort of thing. To shore up food supplies, I sent a hunter to the other side of the map where a herd of about 50 capybara were chilling out and eating grass and had him hunt one or two a day - no big deal, right?

Well, suddenly this herd of capybara decided it was having none of that. They revolted, and my hunter was swarmed with dozens of large angry rodents who left him bleeding to death on the ground in shock.

Another colonist went out to drag him back to a medical bed for treatment, but the capybara's rage wasn't sated yet and the second colonist had to flee back toward the colony. The rodents showed up at my base and immediately started tearing it apart, overcoming a couple of turrets through sheer numbers before moving on to my solar generators, then the very walls themselves. Eventually, my soldiers and turrets put down the threat, but when all was said and done a ton of damage was done to the base and basically every colonist was severely injured. My colonists now no longer have a food problem, and they have stacks and stacks and stacks of capybara hide, but they will never forget the day they were almost bested by small angry herbivores.

Could have been worse, could have been tortoises!

One little thing I like in Rimworld is that now predator animals will hunt other animals (or colonists) for meat. However there are some genetically modified creatures that explode on death so you might be treated to the sound of explosions as one boomalope sets off the herd and in the middle a bear burns to death. If you are quick to haul the bodies you can get a lot of meat before they burn up.

In the PS4 version of Broforce when you beat a level the controller light flashes red white and blue. :911:

E;

From the Rimworld thread, a sculpture depicting something similar:

Ratzap posted:

I love the artworks the game produces. I'd forgotten there was a fire that toasted a bunch of animals but Victor didn't.

FairyNuff has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Apr 19, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DS3 is the best DS game, so playing it first will probably sour the others a little bit. DeS will feel strangely compartmentalized and easy, DS1 will be very simple, DS2 will have glaring flaws in its area planning and stats. Bloodborne will feel about the same IMO but it's worth at least fooling around with the others no matter what, they're all very fun games but you may just not finish them all.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gamers new to the Souls series are probably safe with picking any of the games as their first, possibly excepting DS2 since it is the most punishing and the most reductive in terms of how it was presented (the games are supposed to be difficult but fair, dammit!)

I find that people's preferences when it comes to the Souls games is entirely dependent on the order that they played them. For me it was DS1 -> DeS -> DS2 (-> SotFS) -> BB -> DS3. I know DS1 lore like the back of my hand, I probably have the most hours in DS2, and BB is the only PS4 game I own. But I wouldn't point to any of these games as the "best." Each of the Souls games does some aspect better than the rest, but none of them do so many things better that they could be considered superior.

DeS is probably the most innovative, being the first in the series, and all of the other games call back to DeS in some way. DS1 has the most inter-connected level design and the most complete lore. DS2 currently has the most bosses and, in my experience, the most reliable multiplayer connectivity. BB is the most unique, since the setting and lore is completely unlike any other Souls game. DS3 has the benefit of being able to incorporate a lot of the advances made by the previous games, but it doesn't quite beat the other games in any of the areas I mentioned.

Also, I would strongly disagree that DeS is easy, DS1 is simple, or DS3 is the best game in the series.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alteisen posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is how they altered PvP to make ganking impossible, basically your weapons are set to the hosts, on top of that whenever you invade it seems to prioritize people with multiple phantoms so its quite rare for an invader to fight someone solo.

To be clear, you get whatever weapons the host is using? That's great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be clear, you get whatever weapons the host is using? That's great.

The host's level/upgrade level, not their specific weapon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The host's level/upgrade level, not their specific weapon.

Oh, okay.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I find that people's preferences when it comes to the Souls games is entirely dependent on the order that they played them.

I bought Demon Souls back on release because of all the hype and I loving hated it. I think I called it quits with the game and sold it off somewhere around the boss after the armored spider. Dark Souls uses mostly the same gameplay systems but lack so much of the bullshit (ITEM BURDEN ANYONE??? WORLD TENDENCY???) and is just so much better designed and cohesive.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Xoidanor posted:

I bought Demon Souls back on release because of all the hype and I loving hated it. I think I called it quits with the game and sold it off somewhere around the boss after the armored spider. Dark Souls uses mostly the same gameplay systems but lack so much of the bullshit (ITEM BURDEN ANYONE??? WORLD TENDENCY???) and is just so much better designed and cohesive.

3-3 boss is the best thing. the souls games let you invade other people's worlds. the boss has a cutscene play out while the game searches for another player in the world and they become your boss fight.

invasions aren't a big thing nowadays, but that was the most amazing thing to me when it first happened.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Getting rid of the world tendency was the best thing dark souls did, I think. It was a really confusing system since you had world and personal tendency and they locked you out of content and invaders could gently caress it up for you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the travelling Sorcerer from the beginning of the Undead Settlement is great too.

who?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Somebody put a message in front of the fire keeper lady in dark souls 3 that said try emoting, so I did the welcome one and i'll be damned she has a bunch of reactions to your emotions/gestures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just got this awesome neon green spray paint for my weapons and it looks pretty badly done, its pretty funny.
The minor detail in it is pretty great.

Also the paint wearing off at the cheek rest is a great touch.