Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i hope everybody is having a nice night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Every time I see there are new posts in a thread i treat it like I am opening a box for my new video game and get real excited

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Kid's also like making things in games.

They also like Undertale so I guess this was inevitable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WHOA what game is that

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nasgate posted:

bees lose their stingers and die.

True only of honey bee workers. Other species of bees and honey bee queens do not lose their stings.

Nasgate posted:

Also hornets are cooler because they're the closest of all hymenoptera to their rad ancestors.

Incorrect. There are many more basal groups. In fact hornets are among the most derived of the hymenoptera.

It's me. I'm the biologist posting in the video games thread.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 19, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

WHOA what game is that

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25900/

King's Bounty: The Legend

It's pretty fun, tho I've never beaten it. Kinda janky, but charming enough. I am glad that easter egg exists.

I wish Dark Side was cheaper tho. I know they've been making the same game just with different plots and poo poo for a while now and the latter games haven't been received as well as the earlier ones like Armored Princess and The Legend but I still would like to try Dark Side some day.

fake edit: oh I thought dark side was 10 bucks, turns out it is just 4 bucks. oh well, still too rich for me but that's a lot more reasonable

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

I could've sworn a codec or the pain referred to them as hornets. If they are bees that's hosed up because bees lose their stingers and die.

Also hornets are cooler because they're the closest of all hymenoptera formicidae to their rad ancestors.

Bees are objectively better than hornets because they're less agressive, kinda cute, they dance, and their hive social behaviors are more interesting than the "bro out" that is hornet and wasp behavior.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

True only of honey bee workers. Other species of bees and honey bee queens do not lose their stings.

Incorrect. There are many more basal groups. In fact hornets are among the most derived of the hymenoptera.

Those bees that fight giant hornets by surrounding it and vibrating until the hornet overheats and dies are awesome. Can you pass that along for me?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just once I'd like to start a game of Civ 5 where I'm not immediately surrounded by forests and jungles.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just once I'd like to start a game of Civ 5 where I'm not immediately surrounded by forests and jungles.

Restart, change planet settings.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Restart, change planet settings.

I kinda figured, but can you recommend any specific settings? I've never touched them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bloodychill posted:

Bees are objectively better than hornets because they're less agressive, kinda cute, they dance, and their hive social behaviors are more interesting than the "bro out" that is hornet and wasp behavior.

Can confirm.

Lurdiak posted:

Those bees that fight giant hornets by surrounding it and vibrating until the hornet overheats and dies are awesome. Can you pass that along for me?

Fun fact: only Japanese honey bees can kill their several-times-bigger-than-them predators by slow roasting them to death. Pleb-tier European honey bees are defenseless against giant hornets and Japanese honey farmers that use them have to Fort Knox the poo poo out of their hives because any accessible to giant hornets get ruined in literal hours.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lizard Wizard posted:

I kinda figured, but can you recommend any specific settings? I've never touched them.

It's been a long time since I played Civ5 but iirc you can customize how "wet" the planet is and how old it is. Make it more arid and you'll get fewer forests. Make it older and you'll get fewer mountains. Land mass type has no bearing on it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm gonna see if "disable start bias" fixes it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hi chat.

I enjoyed the anime at the end of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qNqBloKU4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm being sorely tempted by the Bone Quantum Break bundle that comes with the new Tomb Raider as well for £250....
And Forza 6 but eh.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm gonna see if "disable start bias" fixes it.

"Disable start bias" is more for certain civilizations to not get a region fitting their abilities, like Polynesia not being in the middle of Pangaea. Some Civs are more inclined to have jungle and forest tile nearby, and if you're playing as one without turning off start bias, it's going to happen. Which Civ are you playing as to land all these jungles and forests?

Also I have yet to play a game where Alexander of Greece wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat, "random personality" or not.

Mistle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 19, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mistle posted:

"Disable start bias" is more for certain civilizations to not get a region fitting their abilities, like Polynesia not being in the middle of Pangaea. Some Civs are more inclined to have jungle and forest tile nearby, and if you're playing as one without turning off start bias, it's going to happen. Which Civ are you playing as to land all these jungles and forests?

Also I have yet to play a game where Alexander of Greece wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat, "random personality" or not.

Mayans.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are definitely games on my Steam list where I was more entertained by watching the download bar fill up to 100% than everything that came after.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Fuuuuck i am undone.

Most of my knowledge of the wasps and bees and sawflies comes from casually studying the best hymenoptera of all, Ants.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm being sorely tempted by the Bone Quantum Break bundle
I don't know why devs in this year and age still do poo poo like Microsoft exclusives. I know it's a load of cash upfront as well as development support but this bites every studio that attempts it in the rear end in the long run with poo poo sales and a reputation of developing games that nobody played.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depending on the level of finance it can be the difference between the game getting made or not getting made at all like with Bayonetta 2

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sakurazuka posted:

Depending on the level of finance it can be the difference between the game getting made or not getting made at all like with Bayonetta 2
A fair point. Too bad it's happening to studios that theoretically shouldn't have problems with finding investors for already estabilished titles like Bayonetta or freaking Tomb Raider which sold so poorly despite being pretty good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Platinum are in a weirdly unique position where their games don't sell gangbusters but they almost always release a quality product that sells to the hardcore fanbase and often ends up in best of year lists so publishers are eager to work with them for the kudos.
Tomb Raider was basically SE laughing all the way to the bank because they got MS to pay for a years exclusively at a time when their finances weren't great and could probably use the upfront cash.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Palpek posted:

A fair point. Too bad it's happening to studios that theoretically shouldn't have problems with finding investors for already estabilished titles like Bayonetta or freaking Tomb Raider which sold so poorly despite being pretty good.

Tomb Raider didn't sell poorly. It sold pretty drat well, but SE won't accept any game that doesn't make them literal billions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, that was more the Japanese arm saving face for the gaping money pit that was FF XIV 1.0 rather than a 3 million selling game underperforming.
Unless you mean the new one, I haven't seen any numbers good or bad for that yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Steve2911 posted:

Tomb Raider didn't sell poorly. It sold pretty drat well, but SE won't accept any game that doesn't make them literal billions.
Nah, you're thinking of Tomb Raider 2013. Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity period didn't do it any favors and it sold like 4 times fewer copies than TR in the same period because nobody owns Xbox One.

I hope it makes up for it on PC and PS4.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, that was more the Japanese arm saving face for the gaping money pit that was FF XIV 1.0 rather than a 3 million selling game underperforming.
Unless you mean the new one, I haven't seen any numbers good or bad for that yet.

It did extremely poorly on console, I heard the Steam version outsold it at a 3 to 1 ratio.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope it does better on PS4 but releasing after Uncharted 4 probably isn't doing them any favours, even though I prefer Tomb Raider.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, as I said the exclusivity deal hosed them and now they're stuck with bad release schedule. People would play the hell out of TR on PS4 while waiting for Uncharted 4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Platinum are in a weirdly unique position where their games don't sell gangbusters but they almost always release a quality product that sells to the hardcore fanbase and often ends up in best of year lists so publishers are eager to work with them for the kudos.
They're critically acclaimed, have a die-hard audience that follows them everywhere they go, don't seem too emotionally invested in keeping their own IP and have a history of successful collaborations with massive publishers in both the east and west. It's both a surprise and not a surprise that they can basically pick and choose projects.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

As much as I like Platinum doing their own twists on existing stuff I want a new IP from them.

Something that isn't Scalebound though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Scalebound looks like butt

I would like to see an actual new IP as well, but if they commissioned by Nintendo again they need to make a new Vanquish, but disguise it as a new Metroid game instead

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Baal posted:

I would like to see an actual new IP as well, but if they commissioned by Nintendo again they need to make a new Vanquish, but disguise it as a new Metroid game instead

I never knew I wanted a Metroid Vanquish so bad until this post.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

Fffuuuccccckkkkkkk

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

As cool as a Platinum Metroid or another Vanquish would be I want something new, like their own take on a theme. I really loved W101's Power Ranger theme.

Something like them doing a giant mech game or like a grindhouse kung fu game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I absolutely agree.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think I've ever played a Platinum game before, what's a good one that's also on PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It must be a nightmare for them though trying to push a new IP when publishers are looking at them to "revive" existing franchises.
I don't know the whole process for them and how much it would cost though.

But i'm totally not saying I don't like what they're currently doing! Everything they've put out lately has been fantastic. I even thought Korra was pretty decent despite being their worst work so far.

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think I've ever played a Platinum game before, what's a good one that's also on PC?
Metal Gear Rising. Cheap, comes with all the DLC & runs smooth.

• Locked thread