Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Degs posted:

Exactly what I needed to know, bless you.

Honestly I don't think the game is as slow-paced as other players say. I haven't played Ragnarok but I did play a lot of Diablo 2/3, Path of Exile, World of Warcraft and League of Legends. For what is worth I play as a Swordsman.

There's more emphasis put on your skill rotations than on casting a single skill and clearing up the screen like in PoE, so it resembles more a traditional MMO in that sense. I also don't feel like the long cooldowns matter much because there are just so many skills and you're gonna be dodging a lot of stuff in the downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

BetterQuest.

Adds a checkbox to the quest UI that will force all eligible quests to be shown. Except hidden quests, because that would be cheating.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why are people suddenly buying these?
People aren't, I just started shouting that I was buying them for huge amounts of Talt a couple times a day and now people think they are actually worth something. If anyone asks you, tell them you can turn Necroventer Cards into loot cubes.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

gibbed posted:

BetterQuest.

Adds a checkbox to the quest UI that will force all eligible quests to be shown. Except hidden quests, because that would be cheating.

Are you saying there's a way to see hidden quests?

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
I'm not 100% committed to ToS being "my game" now, but it does have everything I've been wanting in a game for a long time.

1. Possible to play with just keyboard.
2. I can finally be someone who has "played since early access".
3. A super casual MMO to just sort of hang out and chat with people.

The bots are a real problem and I don't understand how there are so many in a game that actually costs money to play at this point.

Key rebinding doesn't work outside of the XML file, but I can deal with that.

The graphics aren't optimized... at all? I get 20-50 FPS on a gaming machine that gets about 200 FPS on League of Legends with high settings.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Corby Haas posted:

I'm not 100% committed to ToS being "my game" now, but it does have everything I've been wanting in a game for a long time.

1. Possible to play with just keyboard.
2. I can finally be someone who has "played since early access".
3. A super casual MMO to just sort of hang out and chat with people.

The bots are a real problem and I don't understand how there are so many in a game that actually costs money to play at this point.

Key rebinding doesn't work outside of the XML file, but I can deal with that.

The graphics aren't optimized... at all? I get 20-50 FPS on a gaming machine that gets about 200 FPS on League of Legends with high settings.
The graphics and netcode engine is basically garbage.

Either the game isn't making proper use of GPUs, either it's constantly waiting on information from the servers and so it slows and stutters, or both of those things and countless other issues besides.

I don't know how there's so many bots either. The issue seems to be that ToS staff is grossly, grossly understaffed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drium posted:

Either the game isn't making proper use of GPUs, either it's constantly waiting on information from the servers and so it slows and stutters, or both of those things and countless other issues besides.

I bet my soul that every building and every vase in the city has a different draw call.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gibbed posted:

BetterQuest.

:five:

This owns. Cleaning up all the quests I missed or ones that just didn't trigger for some reason(I'm looking at you quest in Apsimesti crossroads hidden area).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Game is dead, RIP.

lv 220+ is like RO 80+ but worse, the game is specifically designed with intent to brickwall the players until they add more content.

I like how there are portals that randomly spawn at various intervals in the chokepoints of the truffle farm zone (only 220s grind map) that despawn all enemies and stun players for 3 seconds. That's basically a middle finger to anyone who wants to grind past the point where quests become scarce.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Elentor posted:

I bet my soul that every building and every vase in the city has a different draw call.

Fairly sure that's the case, yes. Chat bubbles and item loot notifications cause FPS spikes, too.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Game is dead, RIP.

lv 220+ is like RO 80+ but worse, the game is specifically designed with intent to brickwall the players until they add more content.

I like how there are portals that randomly spawn at various intervals in the chokepoints of the truffle farm zone (only 220s grind map) that despawn all enemies and stun players for 3 seconds. That's basically a middle finger to anyone who wants to grind past the point where quests become scarce.

For real? The gently caress is IMC doing?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rizzen posted:

Not sure if that's an ironic reply or not.

I expected grinding to be around in full force, but I didn't suspect the game would do nearly everything imaginable to actually prevent you from being able to grind, including:

1) Low spawn rates
2) Monsters leashing and moving really slow/clunky/not agroing/etc and generally being hard to hoard aside from having a Peltasta taunt
3) Traps on popular grinding maps that exist for no reason other than to completely kill the grinding

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 19, 2016

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

rizzen posted:

removing the 10 dollar access pack because that's supposed to stop bots :sax:

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Drium posted:

I don't know how there's so many bots either.

Corby Haas posted:

From what I understand there was some poo poo going on with these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boleto that allowed players to basically get a founders pack (you got the stuff immediately, even though you have 48 hours to pay at a bank) and then cancel it before paying.

Turns out its hard to do business internationally when you have no idea how anything works outside of korea.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drium posted:

Fairly sure that's the case, yes. Chat bubbles and item loot notifications cause FPS spikes, too.

I'm pretty sure at least 5 of these things are true:

1) Most background objects have separate draw calls.
2) Every weapon, shield and more importantly - head accessory - has a separate draw call.
3) Every text and chat bubble has a separate, individual draw call.
4) Everything related to text and chat occurs in the main thread.
5) Something has to be loaded from the HDD every time you open the map.
6) The code that intentionally caps the frame rate on animations is very likely super heavy since it is very easy to crush performance by messing with animation in ways that seem trivial to the programmer.
7) Every chat bubble and otherwise dynamic interface object gets created from zero instead of being taken from a poll. Possibly leaks memory.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you turn off FXAA you get good fps provided you have an okay system. I have an i7 3770k with a gtx 670 and my fps hasn't dipped below 40-50. It seems almost random what the fps is at, though. I'll get 80 in crowded towns with ridiculous chat bubbles and spam everywhere, and then standing in the middle of nowhere with nothing but my character and a tiny bit of terrain being rendered it will be a steady 50. Or there will be a ton of monsters/players/spells on screen and I'll have 100+ fps no problem. On the positive, there's no difference between 40 and 140 fps in this game due to how it controls and plays.

I'm pretty convinced it doesn't hit the hard drive because I was too lazy to clear out 16gb on my too small ssd for it and I have no stuttering running it from a 5400 rpm drive I never run games from. The load times also seem alright, I can't take a drink from a water bottle during the load time that's how short it is. Checking a few vods, once in-game the map load times seem almost identical to ssds which is kinda funny.

Does the game run fine on modern laptops with integrated gpus? I've been assuming no even though lots of modern titles do.

I don't even know why a mouse control scheme exists in this game. At least with how it's currently implemented. I'm sure most people think the keyboard scheme is kind of awkward, swap to mouse expecting ro/arpg, notice all the hotkeys change to bafflingly stupid things for no apparent reason because it's not like the keyboard hotkeys would interfere with mouse movement, then try to move and play with the mouse and go "holy poo poo this is unbelievably awful even ignoring the hotkey thing", switch back to keyboard, and then never look back.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khorne posted:

If you turn off FXAA you get good fps provided you have an okay system. I have an i7 3770k with a gtx 670 and my fps hasn't dipped below 40-50. It seems almost random what the fps is at, though. I'll get 80 in crowded towns with ridiculous chat bubbles and spam everywhere, and then standing in the middle of nowhere with nothing but my character and a tiny bit of terrain being rendered it will be a steady 50. Or there will be a ton of monsters/players/spells on screen and I'll have 100+ fps no problem. On the positive, there's no difference between 40 and 140 fps in this game due to how it controls and plays.

Your CPU vastly outperforms your GPU by a gigantic margin. I know the first Kepler-based GPUs suffered a 3-10 FPS drop with FXAA but that went mostly away afterwards, so while there's a small impact in the 670, to any Maxwell GPU FXAA shouldn't do anything to the FPS. I imagine a lot of people have FXAA disabled anyway, I sure as hell do. It's very easy to cap the GPU bottleneck, the fact you somehow have 140 fps at some places show that.

The performance problems everyone is complaining stems from how the game utilizes the memory/cpu very poorly with frequent hangs. Sometimes the game freezes for 2-5 seconds, I've seen people complaining about it freezing randomly for up to 10 seconds even when the spammers were going ham. There are severe slowdowns to 5-15 FPS at some places depending on your rig.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elentor posted:

Your CPU vastly outperforms your GPU by a gigantic margin. I know the first Kepler-based GPUs suffered a 3-10 FPS drop with FXAA but that went mostly away afterwards, so while there's a small impact in the 670, to any Maxwell GPU FXAA shouldn't do anything to the FPS. I imagine a lot of people have FXAA disabled anyway, I sure as hell do. It's very easy to cap the GPU bottleneck, the fact you somehow have 140 fps at some places show that.
My fps more than doubled by turning fxaa off in ToS. It's weird as hell because the fps gain in other titles is nowhere near that and closer to what you said.

quote:

The performance problems everyone is complaining stems from how the game utilizes the memory/cpu very poorly with frequent hangs. Sometimes the game freezes for 2-5 seconds, I've seen people complaining about it freezing randomly for up to 10 seconds even when the spammers were going ham. There are severe slowdowns to 5-15 FPS at some places depending on your rig.
I've never had this at all. Not even once. Is there anything in common with those people's systems?

The client does completely lack optimization and has to be doing some really stupid things to have such poor performance.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 19, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khorne posted:

My fps more than doubled by turning fxaa off in ToS. It's weird as hell because the fps gain in other titles is nowhere near that and closer to what you said.

Yeah it should be a 3-10 FPS drop for the 670. Something is incredibly off if you lost more than that in ToS, which means the game must be murdering your fill rate completely and I honestly don't know why.

Khorne posted:

I've never had this at all. Not even once. Is there anything in common with those people's systems?

The client does completely lack optimization and has to be doing some really stupid things to have such poor performance.

Not sure, but like I said, your CPU is way better than your GPU, performance-wise.

Problems like this were common early on:
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/game-freezes-a-lot/22748
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/screen-freeze-10-15-seconds/165854
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/game-freezes-and-long-loading-times/162772

They're mostly gone after the hardcore ban waves and limitation of using megaphones after level 40, but that's just a band-aid over the underlying issues of the game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elentor posted:

They're mostly gone after the hardcore ban waves and limitation of using megaphones after level 40, but that's just a band-aid over the underlying issues of the game.
If you can see any megaphone messages at all you're doing it wrong. The first thing I did at level 1 was ensure I never saw another one of those things again.

Step 1, turn off the ticker.
Step 2, click on any chat type that doesn't show global messages.

It had nothing to do with fps and everything to do with megaphones being a really dumb idea in any community larger than a few hundred people.

At least ToS doesn't use a naive clientside filter for spam that has somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 entries of repetitive garbage that causes the client to grind to a halt if anyone spams. Ragnarok Online did.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khorne posted:

If you can see any megaphone messages at all you're doing it wrong. The first thing I did at level 1 was ensure I never saw another one of those things again.

It had nothing to do with fps and everything to do with megaphones being a really dumb idea in any community larger than a few hundred people.

You're missing the point. Turning off the ticker does nothing. This is what happened:

Every time people spammed shout really hard, people's game froze for a few seconds. Even with the ticker turned off, the spammer in question blocked, and the chat window changed to a channel that didn't show global messages.

Hence why I said that the most likely explanation is that everything chat related is happening in the main thread and for some god-forsaken reason there is likely a bottleneck happening due to poor network implementation. This isn't novel, even games from big companies like Heroes of the Storm suffer hard from problems like this. Sometimes a huge FPS and performance issue is undetected in development because the beta testers and developers are close to the server/in the same country and thus have low ping.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Khorne posted:

At least ToS doesn't use a naive clientside filter for spam that has somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 entries of repetitive garbage that causes the client to grind to a halt if anyone spams. Ragnarok Online did.
Switching to another chat window doesn't actually stop the game from rendering the messages.

The chat bubbles get drawn anyway, they just get set transparent. Welcome to bad optimization.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Do they really still get drawn? That's pretty ridiculous.

Elentor seems to be describing a different issue entirely, especially if it still happens to some people but not most when the person is blocked. For it to happen when they are blocked, assuming bubbles are not drawn in that case, it has to do with how they are parsing incoming packets and would primarily effect people with some combination of poor bandwidth, poor latency, or packet loss to the server. And a quick survey of people complaining shows lots of broken english and lots of SEA players.

Although I had lots of trouble imagining how you'd write the netcode and rendering in such a way that the game functions fine when you disconnect and doesn't even realize you've disconnected from the server but also locks up on chat spam. I came up with a few ways, but maybe it just renders chat bubbles even for blocked people then doesn't show them. That's probably the simplest answer.

The HotS comparison is unfair because its issues come from the monumentally stupid decision to use an RTS engine/netcode for a MOBA. Which has nothing to do with how ToS works.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 19, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At this point we can only speculate which one of the 10 different poorly optimized aspects of ToS is causing which FPS drop.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Check your Market's retrieve tab. They gave out potions to the people who have completed the quests already that they added SP potions to.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
So is this game worth $30 with all the problems?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Just wait a week

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Voxx posted:

Just wait a week
To add on this, the founders packs will be discounted 30% off "soon" if you really want to get in on this before the F2P launch. Unfortunately the cheap $10 pack got removed.

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
IMC posted a blog about how they plan to handle all of the bots. Seems like they're going to do what I've thought every MMO should do for a long time: machine learning with a report function and player "truth" values.

https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=377

Need to be logged in to view for some reason.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
IMC will somehow wind up with botters getting real people banned for days

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Imagine if the bots were programmed to report any player that they encountered.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Commoners posted:

:vince:

e: oh i guess the conditions are supposed to take care of that, huh

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 20, 2016

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Corby Haas posted:

IMC posted a blog about how they plan to handle all of the bots. Seems like they're going to do what I've thought every MMO should do for a long time: machine learning with a report function and player "truth" values.

https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=377

Need to be logged in to view for some reason.

another post said they've banned 3K accounts for botting/exploits, that's a start I guess

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Commoners posted:

They specifically mention this when they mention the RII system. It wouldn't do anything.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I don't know if I'd trust IMC to do machine learning algorithms properly.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

They specifically mention this when they mention the RII system. It wouldn't do anything.

Good point, IMC really seems to be on top of their poo poo

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Just report every priest3 you see farming mobs, it's a 95% chance it's a bot

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Same but highlanders

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

i've been accused of being a bot with 2 level 3 chest locked accessories, quest reward hair color, and a questline title so this is already happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guno
Nov 27, 2007
I really regret buying the 50 dollar purchase. I still like the game but so many releases game out that have been sapping my time. If anyone is around 72 currently I'm close to Royal Mauseleum as a peltasta if anyone wants to party up. soloing as a peltasta is getting really tiring.

• Locked thread