Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Beat the Champ first try :feelsgood:

Fat Samurai posted:

Catedral of the Deep or Farron Keep? I've been purple phantoming the last 2-3 hours in the first bonfire of the Cathedral, but I guess I should eventually play the rest of the game.

Either or. Deep is... probably harder, overall, but you need to do it eventually, and it progresses some npc questlines, and has some nice loot, so I guess do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

voltcatfish posted:

Why is there a duplicate Firelink Shrine behind the Garden? What the gently caress. It gave me the Chaos Blade though, which is cool.

I think the main Firelink Shrine you've been working out of is the duplicate. Reason: It's the only place in the game not connected to the world. You have to exit and enter it by bonfire. Everywhere else is connected. Not necessarily by a path for the player, but you can usually see the surrounding areas in the distance and the inhabitants of the world would be able to go there.

The dark Firelink Shrine is connected to the Garden, which goes to the castles etc, which means it's the real Firelink Shrine.
I don't know how this holds up to the ~~LORE~~, and I haven't finished the final boss yet, but that's the theory I'm going with.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 19, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Fat Samurai posted:

Catedral of the Deep or Farron Keep? I've been purple phantoming the last 2-3 hours in the first bonfire of the Cathedral, but I guess I should eventually play the rest of the game.

Cathedral is way better. Both are necessary for progress though.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Do the sorcery/pyro/miracle buff rings buff their respective weapon buffs? I read a wiki which says they don't affect buffs but I was assuming they just meant character buffs like the increased stamina regeneration one and the like.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I would say Farron's an easier and shorter area with one of the harder bosses and that the Cathedral is the opposite. Do both because you need every armour set to become the prettiest.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wait is Cathedral where the chained giants are? Is that harder than Farrons? Assuming Farrons is the swamp area i kept getting wrecked there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Wagrid posted:

I don't think you have. As long as you don't tell Anri where Horace is, they will move to Irithyll. If you beat the catacombs boss before you find Horace the quest line will progress. This happened to me and I also thought I'd hosed it up, so you should be fine.

I beat the catacombs boss before I found horace and didn't tell Anri where he was but Anri did not show up near that irithyll bonfire.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fat Samurai posted:

Cathedral of the Deep is a big motherfucker of a zone. Then again, Farron Keep also feels like one due to the environment. I guess both are pretty big endeavors, but progression-wise, I think they intended you to go through Cathedral first.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

This is even better than finding the workshop in Bloodborne

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

enojy posted:

Cathedral of the Deep is a big motherfucker of a zone. Then again, Farron Keep also feels like one due to the environment. I guess both are pretty big endeavors, but progression-wise, I think they intended you to go through Cathedral first.

I kind of think the opposite, maybe? Like it's possible you're supposed to go Keep -> Catacombs, then get stuck needing the key and have to turn around.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Wait is Cathedral where the chained giants are? Is that harder than Farrons? Assuming Farrons is the swamp area i kept getting wrecked there.

Yes, that's correct. Personally, I think the swamp area is a lot easier. It's inconvenient to navigate, but there's a lot of things you don't have to fight there.

I came back to do the Cathedral after the Catacombs which in turn are after the swamp, and I still had a real rough time there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Purple summoning is ridiculously fun. Personal experience, but most of the time you don't get summoned and team tagged by the host and several white phantoms, but even if you do you're sure to get some help from a red phantom fast. And if you're fighting a host and get an invasion you can attack everyone for a free for all, even changing targets in the middle of the match. I've backstabbed three different dudes in a single brawl.

Mad phantom indeed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If you do Farron before Cathedral you break a few NPC quest lines.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Mad phantom is the only way to feel alive. You turn every invasion into a Mexican stand off.

Nuebot posted:

If you do Farron before Cathedral you break a few NPC quest lines.

Yeah, it's a bummer. I didn't realize it at the time.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Donnerberg posted:

I think the main Firelink Shrine you've been working out of is the duplicate. Reason: It's the only place in the game not connected to the world. You have to exit and enter it by bonfire. Everywhere else is connected. Not necessarily by a path for the player, but you can usually see the surrounding areas in the distance and the inhabitants of the world would be able to go there.

The dark Firelink Shrine is connected to the Garden, which goes to the castles etc, which means it's the real Firelink Shrine.
I don't know how this holds up to the ~~LORE~~, and I haven't finished the final boss yet, but that's the theory I'm going with.

Messages and item drops/bloodstains persist in either version of the shrine and also the graves/cemetery of ash

it's an utter mindfuck as to what the graves, cemetery, and the shrines are and what it means and I love it

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can someone give me a hint about Siegwards quest line? I usually gently caress up quests cause i forget about them, but i like that fat dude.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Being him, eh? Well I suggest you put on your best pope-robes and get a couple of really fast weapons, then infuse them with Fire and Dark. :eng101: As for beating him, I was having a lot of trouble using a shield because I could never get a chance to counterattack. Once I ditched the shield I beat him on my first attempt.

Also I want to use this post to whine a bit because god drat are some items rare. I decided I want to use the Harpe on my new gimmick character so I started farming. It's been about 3 hours now and I still haven't gotten one :negative:

What I love about this game is how everyone has a different experience depending on their strategies. I was swearing like mad getting my arse handed to me while trying to dodge, switched to the Shield of Want (the first time in the entire game I tried blocking) and obliterated him without breaking a sweat.

Like, I can't even comprehend how anyone could beat him with a dodge build.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I was away at the weekend and wasn't able to play much but I managed to get a bit farther since Sunday. I joined the Blue Sentinels covenant and it's been tons of fun, also helping me get used to pvp since I don't play it much in these games. Last boss I beat was Crystal Sage who was an absolute pushover.

When can I expect Hexes to start showing up? I'm currently at Cathedral of the Deep and so far all the hexes i've seen are from the book I bought from Yuria and gave to the miracles lady. I'm mostly building up to my old Hex-focused build from the previous two games but I only have a couple of sorceries right now.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, Dragonslayer Armor is kicking my rear end. I don't even know why, the only other two bosses I spent a lot of time on were Abyss Watchers (group fight + fast attacks phase 2) and Pontiff (duh), but this guy is pretty slow really. It feels like every fight I'm dancing around him dodging poo poo easily while doing frankly pitiful damage with my +7 sword, until he lands a quick shield-bash and it's all over because unless he takes pity on me and does his absolutely useless lightning stake that's telegraphed about a century ahead, there seems to always be JUST not enough time to heal between his attacks. He just catches me in a loop of estus -> hit, repeat until I gently caress up and said hit is one of his mega-damage attacks that kill me instantly. That or I hold off on healing and he never gives me an opening to do so again until I gently caress up a second time a minute later and die. Then once he starts phase 2, it's just a matter of time until I gently caress up and take a hit (especially since as mentioned I feel like I'm doing no damage so the fight drags on) and the same issue comes up.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Man, Dragonslayer Armor is kicking my rear end. I don't even know why, the only other two bosses I spent a lot of time on were Abyss Watchers (group fight + fast attacks phase 2) and Pontiff (duh), but this guy is pretty slow really. It feels like every fight I'm dancing around him dodging poo poo easily while doing frankly pitiful damage with my +7 sword, until he lands a quick shield-bash and it's all over because unless he takes pity on me and does his absolutely useless lightning stake that's telegraphed about a century ahead, there seems to always be JUST not enough time to heal between his attacks. He just catches me in a loop of estus -> hit, repeat until I gently caress up and said hit is one of his mega-damage attacks that kill me instantly. That or I hold off on healing and he never gives me an opening to do so again until I gently caress up a second time a minute later and die. Then once he starts phase 2, it's just a matter of time until I gently caress up and take a hit (especially since as mentioned I feel like I'm doing no damage so the fight drags on) and the same issue comes up.

Your weapon should be around +9 by that point. Try to explore more and hunt for upgrade materials. If you have the dodge timing down and the problem is just that it's a battle of attrition and eventually there's a concentration lapse and you gently caress it up, that should solve it.

EDIT: I finished the game! Gnarly final boss, mostly because of the shitload of health, but pretty fun and well-realized. Need to still finish exploring some stuff and then I might try NG+. Man, this game's story is confusing, even by Miyazaki's standards.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's a combination of doing little damage making me impatient and overcommit during an opening, and if I last long enough without loving up, those loving fire-bomb things that gets thrown down in phase 2. Still no idea how I'm supposed to dodge those when I can't even see them.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Mound Makers are really fun when you can get the host to play ball.

Had a couple tonight at Cathedral that were pretty great.

One group must have been using dried finger, and the host had his glass cannon sunbro standing in. Had three encounters with that duo. Completely stomped the phantom first encounter - must have had like 600 HP. Rolled off the roof top like an idiot on the second. I got a third shot, which ended up pretty fair, but I came prepared with a Buckler and parried his magic weapon dual bandit knifes for the confirm. In all cases, the phantom kill got me the reward and everyone's happy! I guess.

A few others with two clearly unprepared peoples were standing just past the zombie hoard. The first hadn't kicked down the ladder - I tried to gesture him toward it, and after much resistance he eventually quit attacking me. Unfortunately he never quite caught on about the ladder. I am hoping one day he'll find it, and realize what that Mad Dark Spirit was trying to tell him, and maybe that Mad Dark Spirits aren't all that crazy. It could have all been an act, but when he started casting poison on me I just let it slowly tick down until I was dead. Enjoy the souls, little buddy. Hope you figure out that ladder thing.

The other I ran into at the same place, and she was poking the poo poo out of me with an estoc, which I still haven't figured out how to deal with, even though I had the Buckler at the ready. Thing just wouldn't parry - which is just as well, because when I backed off to see if this host had kicked the ladder I saw the phantom summoning notice. Backstabbed that poor rear end in a top hat into next Tuesday, took my shackles, and left the host none the worse for wear!

Finally, I ran into a relatively underpowered group and ambushed the phantom up on the buttresses. Either I needed 2 phantom kills, or I didn't get credit, but the host backed off, giving me the opportunity to gesture back toward the bonfire. He actually followed me all the way there, at which point he was kind enough to summon another phantom for me to eat!! And I did.

That said, invading isn't really my thing. The majority of encounters are just dog piles, and it's silly to not try and be an opportunist, but that tends to bring out the worst in groups which gets in the way of the whole, help me, and I won't eat you (host).

Still, I appreciate the mad dark spirit dynamic. Didn't really see much chaos though. Only one instance where there were two whites, a blue, and a red tearing everything up. It was pretty crazy for sure, but the invaders didn't stand a chance.... especially since I got my credit by killing the red phantom. :v:

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 19, 2016

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Does matchmaking care whether you are in NG or NG+? Can I stay in NG for weapon upgrade farming but still invade NG+ers?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: I finished the game! Gnarly final boss, mostly because of the shitload of health, but pretty fun and well-realized. Need to still finish exploring some stuff and then I might try NG+. Man, this game's story is confusing, even by Miyazaki's standards.

There was a story?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Mound Makers are really fun when you can get the host to play ball.

Yeah I think mound makers need... something, some reward for getting a host to a boss fog wall or something. Maybe like... half a vertebrae? Doesn't make sense, but...

As is- even if you want to be a peaceful mad man, the only way you get a reward is by betraying the host or their phantoms OR hoping a red invades. But the host knows that, so they aren't going to play along usually, because it probably just means them getting hosed over 90% of the time. If they summon you, it's most likely for fight club.

Alternatively, make the purple phantom summon sign look like a regular white one. You only find out once they're in! (and they can't be black crystaled)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aldrich was not as bad as everyone hyped him up to be. But then again turns out I had wicked awesome super armor on my black knight greatsword's R2 and, oddly enough, you can hit twice with it if you're in the right position so I was dealing over 1k damage per charged hit on the bastard and powering through his lovely attacks and healing fairly easily because he'd dive into the ground right after.

So I guess my takeaway is that UGS completely trivialize the hard bosses in this game so far.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah I think mound makers need... something, some reward for getting a host to a boss fog wall or something. Maybe like... half a vertebrae? Doesn't make sense, but...

As is- even if you want to be a peaceful mad man, the only way you get a reward is by betraying the host or their phantoms OR hoping a red invades. But the host knows that, so they aren't going to play along usually, because it probably just means them getting hosed over 90% of the time. If they summon you, it's most likely for fight club.

Alternatively, make the purple phantom summon sign look like a regular white one. You only find out once they're in! (and they can't be black crystaled)

The alternative suggestion plus the untrue white ring would be hilarious.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

People will just summon gold phantoms exclusively for co-op, then.

Insurrectionist posted:

It's a combination of doing little damage making me impatient and overcommit during an opening, and if I last long enough without loving up, those loving fire-bomb things that gets thrown down in phase 2. Still no idea how I'm supposed to dodge those when I can't even see them.

There's some sort of music/audio cue for those IIRC. If you just run around while they're being fired you won't be hit by very many.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 19, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had a fun fight against the flame dude in the settlement with Sieg. I think I actually got in the way of Seig fighting him so I stood back and pelted arrows at him for a good chunk of damage. We had a drink afterwards. It was good.

I created the Mirrah Greatsword from the tree and I love it. I never got around to using it in DS2 and it's got cool animations. Also made the giant frost mace which I can't use just yet.

Also the lock on has been poo poo lately. It breaks at way too short a distance and if you're fighting large enemies can easily break if you go between their legs, it sucks.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man, I screwed up the Siegward quest by accidentally going into the dungeons and turning around before finding where he was supposed to be in the kitchen.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Letting them collect vertebrae shards from monsters would work. However man shards combine into one whole with larger monsters and bosses dropping several at once.

Anyway, Aldrich. His skull on the throne is loving huge. Not at all like Gwyndolin's face. So does that kind of suggest he was just using his body as a meat puppet?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Letting them collect vertebrae shards from monsters would work. However man shards combine into one whole with larger monsters and bosses dropping several at once.

Anyway, Aldrich. His skull on the throne is loving huge. Not at all like Gwyndolin's face. So does that kind of suggest he was just using his body as a meat puppet?

I like that idea, yeah.

Aldritch- yeah his soul and the items you can make from it and some other things state that he decided to eat a god, in order to gain their power, in order to tread the path to a new age, or something. Anyway the Pontiff imprisoned Gwyndolin for Aldritch to devour, slowly.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Kiggles posted:

... That said, invading isn't really my thing. The majority of encounters are just dog piles, and it's silly to not try and be an opportunist, but that tends to bring out the worst in groups which gets in the way of the whole, help me, and I won't eat you (host).

Still, I appreciate the mad dark spirit dynamic. Didn't really see much chaos though. Only one instance where there were two whites, a blue, and a red tearing everything up. It was pretty crazy for sure, but the invaders didn't stand a chance.... especially since I got my credit by killing the red phantom. :v:

I mad spirited in Anor Londo and right after the pontiff boss. They host fight clubs, which suck since those guys are minmaxed for PvP, but you can wait them out for a free vertebrae if you don't just bail straight away to roll the dice again. The reason I invaded there was that there's a greater chance for a three-way on account of the Aldrich covenant. With an Aldrich on your side, you can even the numbers on the host, and possibly backstab the Aldrich if you're close to completing your vertebrae. :gibs:

My level and weapon is too high for the regulars passing through Londo now though. I've been invading in the smouldering lake, the prison and the garden instead. Red phantoms aren't regular there unfortunately, although Blue Defenders pop up often. Defenders seem to spawn in the same places as invaders, which means NPCs often kill them before they can link up with the host. It's hosed up, but it's a step closer to a vertebrae for us. If Dark Souls has taught me anything, it's to seize any advantage you get.

I find that you have to fight dirty as a purple phantom. Particularly because your matchmaking favours hosts that already have a phantom present. Running up to the host and his white phantom in an area they've cleared is for chumps. I wait them out and fight at the edge at places where you can make them draw NPC aggro. The hosts tend to be too defensive to attack, but the phantoms have less to lose and will engage near NPCs. It ends up being a lot like the rat covenant in Dark Souls 2.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 19, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also the Favor set is kind of disappointing. The legs don't match the body at all, the texture just looks wrong and there's an annoyingly visible seam between them. In fact no legs really fit the favor torso :( that's disappointing, I really like the armor.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does anyone know if a +3 weapon reinforced with crystal or scale titanite counts the same for matchmaking as one reinforced with regular titanite? Seems like they might be different because they only go to +5 and I don't want to bone myself out of Dogbroing by having an overleveled weapon...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'll try roleplaying as a friendly mad phantom and hope that the host gets killed. Or try to get him killed indirectly by playing horribly.

The chances are the host will just kill me but it might work occasionally.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I mad spirited in Anor Londo and right after the pontiff boss. They host fight clubs, which suck since those guys are minmaxed for PvP, but you can wait them out for a free vertebrae if you don't just bail straight away to roll the dice again. The reason I invaded there was that there's a greater chance for a three-way on account of the Aldrich covenant. With an Aldrich on your side, you can even the numbers on the host, and possibly backstab the Aldrich if you're close to completing your vertebrae. :gibs:

My level and weapon is too high for the regulars passing through Londo now though. I've been invading in the smouldering lake, the prison and the garden instead. Red phantoms aren't regular there unfortunately, although Blue Defenders pop up often. Defenders seem to spawn in the same places as invaders, which means NPCs often kill them before they can link up with the host. It's hosed up, but it's a step closer to a vertebrae for us. If Dark Souls has taught me anything, it's to seize any advantage you get.

I find that you have to fight dirty as a purple phantom. Particularly because your matchmaking favours hosts that already have a phantom present. Running up to the host and his white phantom in an area they've cleared is for chumps. I wait them out and fight at the edge at places where you can make them draw NPC aggro. The hosts tend to be too defensive to attack, but the phantoms have less to lose and will engage near NPCs. It ends up being a lot like the rat covenant in Dark Souls 2.

Yeah, I'm still low level so I need to try my luck in Farron. I don't mind it favoring hosts with phantoms, it just means you have to get a little creative, but you don't have to do anything strange to try and get a phantom for your credit. A host that knows what ups is at least vaguely likely to back off a bit if you're mostly ignoring them. It isn't that common, but a non-trivial portion of my purple invasions would have the host backing off and leaving their phantom out to dry, and I am OK with that. Wish there were more reds, though. Purples seem like they're at their best as a wild card in the midst of a bunch of different phantoms with different interests, with the host always being the trump. I only saw one red in that one invasion I mentioned.

It's good stuff. The only thing I think needs to be touched up are the purple signs. There is grieving potential, so I don't mind it, but I don't think it has much purpose beyond that.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Filthy Hans posted:

Does anyone know if a +3 weapon reinforced with crystal or scale titanite counts the same for matchmaking as one reinforced with regular titanite? Seems like they might be different because they only go to +5 and I don't want to bone myself out of Dogbroing by having an overleveled weapon...

Weapons that go to +5 count as +2 per rank instead of +1. So a +2 titanite scale weapon is equivalent to +4 of a normal titanite weapon.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Just finished my first run, ended up with a black knight's sword fully upgraded. Troubles i had with phantoms aside, this is by far the best dark souls in my eyes. Now to go around and do all the extra stuff.

Can you achieve multiple endings before hitting ng+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not sure if this happened to everybody else, but fighting the giant demon in the mimic room in the catacombs? All I had to do was goad the demon to shoot fire at me while I was at the top of the stairs.

Everytime said demon would chase after me, he'd run up the stairs, and then slowly back himself down the stairs because It was way past his "Aggro" range. It let me sneak in at least three shots to where i'd run back up and rinse and repeat. It took about maybe 4-5 turns of the same thing happening, but it was supremely easy so long as you don't get bored or cocky, and accidentally walk into the one or two skeletons that could spawn.

I don't know where the mimic came from but he ran in Stone Cold style and flawlessed the demon.