Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Grand Archives in Style: Ember yourself, use a seed of the giant tree, laugh your loving rear end off.

You can have epic 3 on 3 battles or just transform into a piece of furniture and watch as players try to run through mobs rather than kill them while hunting you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I'm not going to trawl through the 9K posts I've missed, but have people noted the fact DS1 PC multiplayer has stopped working this last week?

Hoping it is fixed not fair for PC people to be turned off for DS1.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Mad phantom is the most fun pvp thing I ever had in a souls series.
I usually drop my summon sign near some hard enemy, like that knight slayer npc invasion in the catacombs and just help the host kill it then co op with him until a shortcut opens or we find a bonfire, then it's pvp time.

Edit: How many ranks are there in a covenant? I already have 2 from mound makers and the prizes aren't amazing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

porkinson posted:

Mad phantom is the most fun pvp thing I ever had in a souls series.
I usually drop my summon sign near some hard enemy, like that knight slayer npc invasion in the catacombs and just help the host kill it then co op with him until a shortcut opens or we find a bonfire, then it's pvp time.

Edit: How many ranks are there in a covenant? I already have 2 from mound makers and the prizes aren't amazing.

Apparently every covenant maxes out at 30 offerings. Technically it seems like they max out at 99 (as in there is a special message that you cannot offer any more) but the last reward is at 30.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is it correct that the place you turn in Sunbro medals is the Castle of Lothric? I peeked at the locations page on the wiki, and that's rather far away. I'm only just in Farron's Keep, so it would be several zones before I get there and I already have close to 15.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Is there a way to see what level your covenants are? I mean, I know mine are all zero except for Sunbros, but I haven't seen a list like the cat offered in DS2.

Spent the evening getting trashed by KotS/NK. I'm not sure which part I hated more from a video game design perspective: the camera going apeshit if I got close to KotS, or that the ground was animated and had no shadows to distort any depth perception.

Not saying the fight itself was bad, it's fairly epic otherwise.

E:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is it correct that the place you turn in Sunbro medals is the Castle of Lothric? I peeked at the locations page on the wiki, and that's rather far away. I'm only just in Farron's Keep, so it would be several zones before I get there and I already have close to 15.

Yup. The room also requires exploration to get to. The beaten path door opens from the other side.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Yeah.

Andrigaar posted:

Is there a way to see what level your covenants are? I mean, I know mine are all zero except for Sunbros, but I haven't seen a list like the cat offered in DS2.

No.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I had an awesome mad spirit invasion last night, I dropped in on two people coslaying Ornstein and Smough, complete with appropriate armor and weapons. I stalked them through the Profaned Capital (which I wasn't familiar with yet), and they manage to double back and catch me by surprise. Fortunately, I managed to stunlock Ornstein down and got my vertebrae right as Smough flattened me. I'm a little surprised I got one, as I was by myself and they were clearly using voice comms.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Einwand posted:

Weapons that go to +5 count as +2 per rank instead of +1. So a +2 titanite scale weapon is equivalent to +4 of a normal titanite weapon.

Thanks, this is what I needed to know

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if I'd miss anything if I just looked up a speedrun and skipped the dungeon.

I'm a huge sissy and scare super easily and this place is doing it's best to give me a heart attack while frustrate me at the same time with these loving jail dudes.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just finished the game and that final boss fight, holy poo poo. :stare:

I'm actually a little nervous about starting new game plus now. In the last two games, I dove right in, but I beat so many bosses by the skin of my teeth that I'm worried what the difficulty spike will mean, especially since bosses were typically dealing more than half of my health in unblocked hits already.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, Armor and Gundyr both are just demolishing me. I'm so demoralized because they don't even feel like tough fights like, say, Pontiff. But my brain is absolutely unable to execute my dodges properly, for some reason. It's the first time in any DS game I've ever had this problem.

Guess I gotta take a break, but I loving love watching DS speedruns and I'm already a week behind on streams to avoid getting spoiled...at this rate I'm never gonna catch up on them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just finished. I am the Lord of Hollows and have usurped the Fire.

Also, gently caress yo slabssssssss:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I need help with Pintiff Sulyvhan's second form. His first form is hilariously easy as all I have to do is play ring-a-round the rosey with him and attack his back. But his second form is a bitch as it seems that there is rarely an opening.

Here are my stats for the hell of it:

Hope everything seems up to standards. Already defeated Yhorm the Giant FYI.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 19, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Am I missing something, or is Archdragon's Peak just that hard? Everything has infinite range and does like half my health in damage, and nothing can be Rapport'd (because having those on your side would be too OP)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Would DS3 be at all playable with a GTX 560 Ti? My PC meets all the other specs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Toebone posted:

Would DS3 be at all playable with a GTX 560 Ti? My PC meets all the other specs.

You're going to most likely have a bad time and may not be able to maintain a good enough framerate to coop/invade.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jade Mage posted:

Am I missing something, or is Archdragon's Peak just that hard? Everything has infinite range and does like half my health in damage, and nothing can be Rapport'd (because having those on your side would be too OP)

Yes, and wait until you see the Boss.

Toebone posted:

Since you're not on modern hardware it's not a diceroll to say if you will be able to play at all, but someone here on old weak gear got good results cutting everything to lowest and playing in a window.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
found a sign in the farron woods that pointed to a illusionary wall. i was quite shocked to discover it was a "real" illusionary wall.

you can walk straight through the wall into madness.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Gotta say people really overdo co-op in this game. Princes, Dragonslayer, Devourer of Gods are all MUCH harder with three people than with two.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beat Aldrich, felt like quite the tough guy :smug:

Not very long afterwards

v:shobon:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

Who would think to do that though unless they read about it in advance? it's ripe bullshit.

The ensuing boss moves very slowly in its first phase so it's not like you don't have more than enough time to bone out.

edit: Well this is what I get for not refreshing for like several hours

NESguerilla posted:

Oh give me a break. It shoots you right from one cutscene to the next and then to a boss. Something that has never happened in the series ever. There is no reason whatsoever to assume you have to homeward bone out of there within seconds. Don't act like a snob because you read about it before it happened.

After reading your responses though I will say this: The game does not teleport you directly from one cutscene to the next, there is a short period of gameplay and then you have to manually go to do what the key item says in order to activate the boss. You very well could have left in that time and come back later.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 19, 2016

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is there any consensus on a pvp meta yet since matchmaking is back to being based on level rather than soul memory or is it still too early to say?

also, what do people think is the best greatsword/ultra greatsword for a 40/40 melee build? i've just been mostly using the old standby black knight ultra greatsword and it's been fine but i'd be willing to switch it up to something that's more effective/more fun.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 19, 2016

Rhaxis
May 26, 2011
Cool game! 30 hours in and I've just killed dancer of boring valley.

I have to say that I expected the game to be a lot harder than what it has been thus far. I'm playing with 1 hander + shield and basicly 99% of attacks and spells are blockable so as long as you have enough stamina to keep the blocking up during enemy combo you're pretty much immortal.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

BrainD34d posted:

I have to say that I expected the game to be a lot harder than what it has been thus far. I'm playing with 1 hander + shield and basicly 99% of attacks and spells are blockable so as long as you have enough stamina to keep the blocking up during enemy combo you're pretty much immortal.

shields definitely seem like they're more useful in this game than they were in dark souls 2. i didn't use shields at all in that game and found it relatively painless but enemies can attack so fast in this one that sometimes i've found myself using a shield just to not deal with it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fashion souls talk: anyone have any opinions on which armor set has the best/biggest rear end? As cool as the Fallen Knight set is, is a bit overplayed and I'd like something nice to wear when I visit other worlds.

The more I look like I'm twerking when rapidly tapping the block button while 2 handing a straight sword the better.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
Quick question, if I infuse my Uchi with poison, does it cause bleeding and poison buildup? I noticed while checking out possible infusions that the bleed value was not reduced when hovering over the poison stone, and I thought it worked differently. Maybe it's because the bleed damage is inherent on the sword and not an infusion bonus?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Shields are about the same in this as they were in DSII.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Is the heal aid spell pretty worth it as a knight? I can use it without having to spend any points into attributes. How much does it heal?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CyberLord XP posted:

Gotta say people really overdo co-op in this game. Princes, Dragonslayer, Devourer of Gods are all MUCH harder with three people than with two.

I'm pretty sure bosses get buffed relative to the number of people you summon. Crazy sword-drawing skeleton king guy is a good example, with multiple summons out he starts spewing out wheely-skeletons as well as the regular ones.

Rhaxis
May 26, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

shields definitely seem like they're more useful in this game than they were in dark souls 2. i didn't use shields at all in that game and found it relatively painless but enemies can attack so fast in this one that sometimes i've found myself using a shield just to not deal with it.

Yeah in my opinion they're pretty overpowered and tend to make the game way too easy in most situations.

Also 1 hand weapons like dark sword and irithyll straight sword attack is so drat fast that you can outspeed every opponent.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Do Refined Gems drop from anything at all? All I got was the one from the Red Eye K***ht dude.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

what's really fun is when you summon someone to help with a boss, they follow you into the fog, and then immediately bail leaving you to fight a buffed boss by yourself

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My first PvP experience was pretty great.

I Embered to beat Deacons of the Deep, then headed through the swamp to Farron's. As I'm fighting the pair of Knights that guard the little temple entrance A dude named Guts invades. I spend about two minutes dodging three attackers, taking pot shots at the NPCs in hopes of getting them before I die. I say gently caress it, run for the ladder hoping to get the bonfire at least. As I jump on the ladder, Guts runs right behind me and tries to charged swing his greatsword, oversteps, and falls off the ladder and dies.

Anyone who hates PvP is a fool.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vikar Jerome posted:

found a sign in the farron woods that pointed to a illusionary wall. i was quite shocked to discover it was a "real" illusionary wall.

you can walk straight through the wall into madness.

Whereabouts was that sign and wall?

Cultisto posted:

Quick question, if I infuse my Uchi with poison, does it cause bleeding and poison buildup? I noticed while checking out possible infusions that the bleed value was not reduced when hovering over the poison stone, and I thought it worked differently. Maybe it's because the bleed damage is inherent on the sword and not an infusion bonus?

Yes, but poison is garbage in PvE unless you have no choice but to poison and run bosses in circles for ten minutes. Poison is an alright form of PvP utility though, it helps keep track of poisoned enemy players, and if they run out of heals it'll eventually get them killed.

Rhaxis
May 26, 2011

Toiwat posted:

Do Refined Gems drop from anything at all? All I got was the one from the Red Eye K***ht dude.

There's one in Dragon Barracks, path between the two dragons.
Also dropped by a crystal lizard on the room in Grand Archives.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
trip report: having the necessary faith to make sunlight spear worth it (>1000 damage) is boring and lovely and not even very good against that many bosses compared to fire, i'm gonna respec on this character and just become a hulking retard capable of self-buffs for pvp i guess!!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Whereabouts was that sign and wall?

Yes, but poison is garbage in PvE unless you have no choice but to poison and run bosses in circles for ten minutes. Poison is an alright form of PvP utility though, it helps keep track of poisoned enemy players, and if they run out of heals it'll eventually get them killed.

I saw that too, made me laugh. First illusory wall note that has been good.

Okay, I'm at Farron's Keep, or the swamp around it. I've been using a Raw Astora's Sword for a long time but I don't want to upgrade it past +2. I has a bunch of titanite shards/twinkling, when can I find another good 1hander? I like using a shield, and I'm current 29 dex/16 str, but I'm going for a 40/40 build eventually.

I also got the Astar's Spear from transposition, but I feel like it sucks compared to my sword. Should I upgrade it, or can I get another good Soul Transposition 1hander soon?

Sorry for these easy questions that could be looked up, but I literally looked up one thing, and the very first line is text I saw completely, totally spoiled the entire Yuria/Yoel questline :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BrainD34d posted:

Cool game! 30 hours in and I've just killed dancer of boring valley.

shields are easy mode duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I have so many different shields, is there any reason to use the shields that give don't give 100% physical protection? I mean I have a greatshield that actually provides less physical protection than the smaller crest one. Does blocking with the bigger shields reduce the stamina hit maybe? Is that how that stability stat works?