Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can we please have another star wars thread where we are only allowed to agree with each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Zeris posted:

Can we please have another star wars thread where we are only allowed to agree with each other

Wtf would be the point of that

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wtf would be the point of that

Jesus Christ nerds are dense.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

eyebeem posted:

If u think they were joking...their post history indicates otherwise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should remake the prequels... As Samurai Dramas.

The story of how a scheming courtier usurped the Throne.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

High Lord Elbow posted:

If you strip away the visuals and sound effects and just consider the plot and dialogue, the prequels sound like something you would overhear listening to a fairly creative six-year-old playing with his action figures.

Makes sense. Since TFA sounds like a thirteen year old's fan fiction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

eyebeem posted:

They have a lot going on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zeris posted:

It's called the book thread and it's pretty cool.

TFA is pretty cool too. It's like the U.S. fighting a proxy war against extremists in Syria whilst being unwilling to commit openly due to war weariness and getting shafted as the situation spirals out of control because they were unwilling to deal with the extremists when they first showed up. What's nice is how this contrasts against the ending of RotJ where Luke puts down his weapons to win a fight.

Whilst the whole film isn't in service of this one idea, it is pretty clear and I'd like to see it developed further.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Imagine that neonazis have gained power in Greece, and used the resources to build their own aircraft carrier. They use this aircraft carrier as a staging area to hunt down the leaders of some Muslim extremist group, going so far as to launch a clandestine attack on Somalia.

There is debate in the European Council as whether Greece should face sanctions or something, but nobody really gives a poo poo. Meanwhile a handful of the EU's heads of state are not-too-secretly funding the Muslim extremists. A plucky Brit, orphaned in Somalia, makes headway in tracking down the legendary Osama Bin Laden, who was thought to be dead. Afraid of Bin Laden's power, Greece nukes the entire EU, but the Muslims nuke Greece before Greece can nuke Africa.

America doesn't appear in the film. Putin is behind it all.

I like this post a lot

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The prequels are incredibly popular, and provide endless avenues for discussion.

Force Awakens, on the other hand, has already caught a bad case of Avatar Syndrome.

The Force Awakens is also incredibly popular, and people talk about it often outside of this thread (and inside this thread, but whatever).

Almost no one cares about Avatar.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Avatar was also incredibly popular.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

cargohills posted:

Avatar was also incredibly popular.

Was, now no one seems to care and it's left the public consciousness. (News that James Cameron is filming 4 sequels at the same time is mostly being met with, "...really? Do people still care about Avatar?") Which is what SMG was getting at, by comparing it to TFA.

Like, who knows, maybe TFA will be the same after 7 years passes, like what has happened for Avatar. But it's not the case yet.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What the gently caress is Avatar Syndrome? Is it like Zika virus?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

What the gently caress is Avatar Syndrome? Is it like Zika virus?

"Oh yeah, Avatar. I remember that being pretty good...anyway, what's for lunch?"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Like, who knows, maybe TFA will be the same after 7 years passes, like what has happened for Avatar. But it's not the case yet.

You can't really make an assumption that the same won't be true soon enough.

e: Although I do think that "Avatar syndrome" won't catch on quite as quickly for TFA because they're actually getting the sequels done promptly instead of sitting around doing nothing for 7 years.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

cargohills posted:

You can't really make an assumption that the same won't be true soon enough.

My post you quoted made no such claim. Just that it isn't true yet.

edit: In fact, it actually says that maybe it will be true. So I don't know what assumption you're talking about.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Pretty sure TFA will be talked about just as long as long as the prequels. It has primed a new generation of star wars fans that dont like star wars. Two more movies and everybody will be to busy not liking the sequels to bother not liking the prequels.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can definitely see TFA suffering from Avatar syndrome if either Rogue One or Ep 8 is a better film. It'll be the one that rebooted Star Wars after a decade (or three if you're a prequel denier) and paved the way for better movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

When do we get to the generation of Star Wars fans that don't like the OT? Or only like them ironically?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Serf posted:

When do we get to the generation of Star Wars fans that don't like the OT? Or only like them ironically?

After episode 10.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serf posted:

As a child, I was never really enamored with Star Wars. I enjoyed ANH the best, but all of them kind of plod along for quite a while, ESB being the worst of the bunch.

That's why I can see why kids might enjoy TFA more, even if you ignore the age difference of the various films.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Imagine that neonazis have gained power in Greece, and used the resources to build their own aircraft carrier. They use this aircraft carrier as a staging area to hunt down the leaders of some Muslim extremist group, going so far as to launch a clandestine attack on Somalia.

There is debate in the European Council as whether Greece should face sanctions or something, but nobody really gives a poo poo. Meanwhile a handful of the EU's heads of state are not-too-secretly funding the Muslim extremists. A plucky Brit, orphaned in Somalia, makes headway in tracking down the legendary Osama Bin Laden, who was thought to be dead. Afraid of Bin Laden's power, Greece nukes the entire EU, but the Muslims nuke Greece before Greece can nuke Africa.

America doesn't appear in the film. Putin is behind it all.

Well put

Spikeguy posted:

In the Force Awakens, I can pretty much figure out that The First Order are the left overs from the Empire, but who do the Resistance represent? Since the New Republic was destroyed I was having trouble figuring out who they would be fighting for going forward.

But seriously, I can't imagine the Republic is outright gone. I mean I guess it could be, but that's ridiculous if that's where they're going with it. The planets can always elect new representatives, and the entire fleet couldn't have been just chilling in that one system. It's should be more of a Pearl Harbor type thing where it takes them out of the fight for a while but then they come back and take care of business.

Really, the logical place for this to go is that the Republic itself takes a turn toward facism in response to 9/11 x 1 billion and becomes the actual big bad (again). It's probably what the old white rich dudes funding the New Order have been planning all along. There's a lot of money for those military contractors in replacing half a fleet and building 20 Death Stars for the New Republic.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 19, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

As a child, I was never really enamored with Star Wars. I enjoyed ANH the best, but all of them kind of plod along for quite a while, ESB being the worst of the bunch.

That's why I can see why kids might enjoy TFA more, even if you ignore the age difference of the various films.

Yeah I grew up loving the OT, but I was still a kid when the prequels started coming out and they were way more watchable as "fun" movies. Kids I've met these days are even more into the cartoons, and a few had never even seen the movies they are based on.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Toilet Mouth posted:

Well put

But seriously, I can't imagine the Republic is outright gone. I mean I guess it could be, but that's ridiculous if that's where they're going with it. The planets can always elect new representatives, and the entire fleet couldn't have been just chilling in that one system. It's should be more of a Pearl Harbor type thing where it takes them out of the fight for a while but then they come back and take care of business.

Really, the logical place for this to go is that the Republic itself takes a turn toward facism in response to 9/11 x 1 billion and becomes the actual big bad (again). It's probably what the old white rich dudes funding the New Order have been planning all along. There's a lot of money for those military contractors in replacing half a fleet and building 20 Death Stars for the New Republic.

One of these days I want to see other movies take place inside that Universe that aren't about fighting galactic wars. Because man it must suck to live there. They haven't had any peace for apparently 70+ years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spikeguy posted:

One of these days I want to see other movies take place inside that Universe that aren't about fighting galactic wars. Because man it must suck to live there. They haven't had any peace for apparently 70+ years.

You have to also remember the scale of the Galaxy though. Like the Alderaan Space 9/11 is equivalent to one of those Iraqi villages being shot up by ISIS in terms of distance and population.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know who else did prequels? William Shakespeare. (And before someone makes thar argument, no, I'm not saying Georgie Lucas is anywhere near as good as Willie Shakes, also what the gently caress is wrong with you?)

So, back in ye days, William did a series of plays on the history of the War of the Roses, Henry the VI parts 1 to 3 and Richard the Third, which were very well received and are still well-known to this day. They get quoted all the time by everyone. Five to ten years later, he went back to make a new series of plays chronicling the origins of the war: Richard II, Henry IV part 1 and 2 and Henry V. While still very well received and remembered (this is loving Shakespeare here), you don't hear Richard II quoted a soften as Richard III. Likewise, Richard II was seen as a pretty political play, with the scene of Richard giving up the crown omitted in many representations for fear of angering Queen Elizabeth, who was getting old and had no heir. It's weird parallel, with ultimately both prequels being about the usurpation of power leading to a long war and both being taken as comments on political climate of the days instead of general statements.

Where am I going with this? Well, one of the major inspirations for Star Wars was Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. And Kurosawa did some amazing movies transposing Shakespeare plays to feudal japan. Therefore I think it would be really cool to see a Shakespeare adaptation in Star Wars. How's about a Macbeth?

Furthermore, a play might make a good medium for the Star Wars prequels, with the fall of the Jedi and the Republic represented as tragedies of old. A quick google search shows someone had the same idea, but it seems to just be one of those "replace all dialogues with bad faux-shakespearian english" thing you see a lot on the internet, not a very good adaptation at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

The Force Awakens is also incredibly popular, and people talk about it often outside of this thread (and inside this thread, but whatever).

Almost no one cares about Avatar.

You're writing about Avatar right now.

Popularity has nothing to do with making a lot of money, accruing namedrops and "likes" on facebook, or whatever. Popularity is that nebulous quality of actually being liked, which is trickier to isolate. People generally have no idea what they like or dislike, and why. For example, we have the counter-intuitive fact (scientifically proven in this thread) that Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

The gulf between profitability and popularity can reach such an extreme that we have what I term Avatar Syndrome: the case of a film that makes a lot of money without being liked by anybody. And that's the situation with The Force Awakens.

People are talking about, like, "who are Rey's biological parents?", and "who are Ren's adoptive parents?". "Is Luke Rey's biological parent?" (Bonus question: "who are FN's biological parents?")

You might notice these popular questions have one thing in common: they all concern things that do not actually appear in the film "Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens."

What if I told you that we do see Rey's father in the film? It's Unkar Plutt. Unkar Pultt is Rey's adoptive father who took care of her for roughly a decade, but they had some sort of falling out and she went to go live in a junkyard by herself, etc. This is the actual content of the film, and nobody gives a poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 19, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Who are the people talking about these questions? Whenever I check the star wars tumblr feed its just people raving about Poe, Kylo, Hux, Rey, Finn, & BB-8 :confused:

Nobody seems to really give a poo poo who Reys parents are?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jerkface posted:

Whenever I check the star wars tumblr feed

Brother, I don't believe I'd have told that

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Toilet Mouth posted:

Brother, I don't believe I'd have told that

Tumblr is great, bud. Follow cool people like comic artists who post frames & covers from their upcoming work without all the speech bubbles, and weird doodlers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jerkface posted:

Who are the people talking about these questions? Whenever I check the star wars tumblr feed its just people raving about Poe, Kylo, Hux, Rey, Finn, & BB-8 :confused:

Imagine if The Something Awful Forums was the only place you read about anything.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

CNN does.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I care about Unkor Plot.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ep8 set, Rey's mom confirmed an a-wing and chewie is her dad https://twitter.com/nickthebassist / https://twitter.com/aliarikan

and clothes

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

I was going to make this point, but yea news agencies wanting click-bait & hyping up 'mysteries' are the only "people" talking about this with any regularity. Which is their job, since CNN is not going to run a monthly article on 'Wow wasnt TFA so great?'

If we go back in time all the articles about the prequels were "This poo poo sucks" so I guess all people could talk about back then was how much the prequels sucked.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
oh yeah and win trip to lucasfilm for donating to charity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4giTfo7a70

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That A Wing looks pretty much like the old ones, but the paints have been switch around.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Rogue One and Episode VIII are obviously going to be better because they're directed by actual film directors. The Force Awakens was a feature length TV pilot for Star Wars: The Next Generation. It had a definite case of pilot syndrome, with the showrunners not quite being sure what they wanted to do, and also an awkward passing of the torch from the previous series' major characters. and then of course it sets up an obvious hook for the rest of the series. And there were a bunch of characters, but only a few of them had space to breath and develop.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

You're writing about Avatar right now.

Knock this off. I wrote about it because you mentioned it.

Popularity has nothing to do with making a lot of money, accruing namedrops and "likes" on facebook, or whatever. Popularity is that nebulous quality of actually being liked, which is trickier to isolate. People generally have no idea what they like or dislike, and why. For example, we have the counter-intuitive fact (scientifically proven in this thread) that Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

The gulf between profitability and popularity can reach such an extreme that we have what I term Avatar Syndrome: the case of a film that makes a lot of money without being liked by anybody. And that's the situation with The Force Awakens.

People are talking about, like, "who are Rey's biological parents?", and "who are Ren's adoptive parents?". "Is Luke Rey's biological parent?" (Bonus question: "who are FN's biological parents?")

You might notice these popular questions have one thing in common: they all concern things that do not actually appear in the film "Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens."

What if I told you that we do see Rey's father in the film? It's Unkar Plutt. Unkar Pultt is Rey's adoptive father who took care of her for roughly a decade, but they had some sort of falling out and she went to go live in a junkyard by herself, etc. This is the actual content of the film, and nobody gives a poo poo.

Ah, right, so we're back to you saying what people like.

"popularity, noun: the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people."

People are talking about The Force Awakens. A lot. They may not be talking about it in the way you want them to. But they are talking about it.

People like it. You can make a point that they like it for the wrong reasons. That they're being bated by nostalgia, hitting repeated story beats. Or that it's because it's a safe movie. But they like the movie. They're talking about the movie.

Yes, they are also talking about things like "Who are Rey's biological parents", because it's a mystery this movie set up. Whether they should or not, people like mysteries in their movies. The Force Awakens introduces mysteries, of course people are going to talk about them.

If you're saying people aren't really discussing the themes from the movie itself, I mean, fine. If you're saying they don't understand what it is they like about the movie, fine.

Like, I'm not getting into an argument about if it's good or not, because while I love it, I know you can talk circles around people and I'm just not getting into it. But the argument that it's not popular or well liked is, overall, false. Look at box office receipts (which I seem to remember you using as evidence the prequels were popular a while back, but I'm not trolling through you post history to find it.) Toys are every where. Tons of people bought it to watch again at home. At least for the moment, people really like TFA. It's quite popular.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spatula City posted:

Rogue One and Episode VIII are obviously going to be better because they're directed by actual film directors. The Force Awakens was a feature length TV pilot for Star Wars: The Next Generation. It had a definite case of pilot syndrome, with the showrunners not quite being sure what they wanted to do, and also an awkward passing of the torch from the previous series' major characters. and then of course it sets up an obvious hook for the rest of the series. And there were a bunch of characters, but only a few of them had space to breath and develop.

It's even possible that after Rogue One, TFA will forevermore be the worst Disney Star War.

• Locked thread