Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I decided that I wanted to try some STR as death of a million cuts is fun but in the end I always like hitting things with giant slabs of metal.

Made the wolf greatsword from the abyss watchers soul and pumped up my strength to use it properly. Ice Knight came running up to me and I launched him like 5 feet in the air up a staircase onto his rear end killing him and now I don't want to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the biggest advantage of light roll is that it's actually faster than running and is great for closing distance on bosses

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Jade Mage posted:

Do I have to fight the Nameless King? Almost all his attacks kill me in one hit, and I may as well be flicking him when I hit him with my weapon.

You might need more vit, but I was having the same problem until I switched up my gear a bit for more elemental resist and an appropriate shield. He went from cleaving me to being able to block a hit with minimal health loss, and brought down his unblocked damage enough that I could usually estus after taking two hits.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there only the one pyromancy flame that you get from the vendor? I seem to recall at least two (regular and dark) in DS2.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Has anyone been experiencing significant performance issues since the patch? The game is almost unplayable, and I say that as someone who was happily playing in a state where I kept getting kicked into offline mode for my bad framerate.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So what rings are people preferring for Faith builds? I'm using a +1 Attunement ring, the Sage's Ring for the cast speed of course, and Morne's+Sun's First Born for Miracle boosts. Just found Princess Ring that gives +5 Faith though, does that provide more damage than Morne's Ring?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Axed/Halberded my way through the game and got the second ending, what's the current ~OP meta~ weapon to use to do npc/gestures/other completionist runs with? I'm hearing good things about the broadsword and Dark Sword, if I'm going with those, what should I infuse them with? Likewise, what are the minimum stats required to gather all the wizardry stuff because the sorcery trainer didn't want to talk to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I took away my rings to make me more agile. The ring I have don't help. I haven't found other estus shards. I have high endurance so I can't get hit. It has helped me in most boss battles, especially Yhorn.

I'll try investing more into vitality and dexterity.

The difference in rolling distance under 70% is way smaller than it was in DS2. There's honestly no reason to stress about it so long as you're under 70%. Meanwhile, armor makes a difference--you take a big defense penalty for having an empty armor slot--and you get a ton of HP per point of Vigor up to 27.

Staying under 30% can be good if you're really insistent on doing a no-hit run maybe.

You're also about at the point of the game when scaling would noticeably outdo Raw if you have decent Strength and/or Dexterity.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Sheep posted:

Is there only the one pyromancy flame that you get from the vendor? I seem to recall at least two (regular and dark) in DS2.

If dark flame exists, it has yet to be found.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So it turns out the "Get all rings" trophy requires you to get their NG+ and NG++ versions. Welp, time to get busy. :black101:

Incidentally, how long do you guys think Raw/Fire/etc weapons can be pushed before I should start focusing on stuff with some actual scaling? My faith build has turned into a fast rolling, shieldless dickhead with a glorious nippon katana, but I currently have it Raw while I boost my defensive stats. I don't want to end up hitting NG+ enemies for 50 damage or whatever.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.gamefaqs.com

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Bloodborne'y equipment set how to get, halfwayish at most down the game: Summon the base of the stairs NPC for the Old Demon King, not sure if it needs to survive the fight, then head back to Undead Settlement where you got the Pyro dude to remember he could teleport out of the cage. FEATHERS!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So it turns out the "Get all rings" trophy requires you to get their NG+ and NG++ versions. Welp, time to get busy. :black101:

Incidentally, how long do you guys think Raw/Fire/etc weapons can be pushed before I should start focusing on stuff with some actual scaling? My faith build has turned into a fast rolling, shieldless dickhead with a glorious nippon katana, but I currently have it Raw while I boost my defensive stats. I don't want to end up hitting NG+ enemies for 50 damage or whatever.

Raw probably won't work great in NG+ unless you're using a weapon buff. Otherwise, since you're a Faith build, you could use a Lightning or Chaos weapon and get some scaling going on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Raw probably won't work great in NG+ unless you're using a weapon buff. Otherwise, since you're a Faith build, you could use a Lightning or Chaos weapon and get some scaling going on.

Yeah, I was thinking of lightning in the long run, with a spare weapon enchanted as Chaos just in case I hit a certain...shall we say Nameless...boss that happens to have massive resistance to the damage type. I guess I'm just a bit too worried about getting the HP/damage ratio "right". Feel like I'm spreading myself too thin and getting hyped up about the details.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just use the shield of want because it's a free 20% extra souls on a 100% block shield. If the boss is some other element then I'll use the appropriate crest shield but so far that's just been two bosses who use fire damage a lot.

And it has great absorption and Weapon Art as its skill, so you can skip right from blocking into a shield lunge or spin2win, then back to blocking a moment later. It's hilariously powerful with something like the Twinswords, combining good defense with their vicious attack speed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
gently caress this poo poo after so many tries and a long break I go back to Dragonslayer Armor, easily get my best try yet, and then he bumps me off the bridge with his shield slam attack at 10% :qq:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

poptart_fairy posted:

If you're that far in you could definitely be doing more with a non-raw weapon of some kind. Just depends on which one and your stat investments

emdash fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 19, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Posting my barbie because painting guardian legs, dancer gloves, firewitch chest and whatever the hood is fit together real well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of lightning in the long run, with a spare weapon enchanted as Chaos just in case I hit a certain...shall we say Nameless...boss that happens to have massive resistance to the damage type. I guess I'm just a bit too worried about getting the HP/damage ratio "right". Feel like I'm spreading myself too thin and getting hyped up about the details.

If all else fails, you can respec, so it's worth experimenting.

If you have 27-30 Vigor and a comfortable amount of Endurance, you're probably good to pump Faith and infuse your weapon with Lightning.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sheep posted:

I'm pretty sure bosses get buffed relative to the number of people you summon. Crazy sword-drawing skeleton king guy is a good example, with multiple summons out he starts spewing out wheely-skeletons as well as the regular ones.

That's just based on time, like each time he summons he adds more types of skeletons and with more summons he has more health so he gets to summon more if the dps isn't keeping up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

That's just based on time, like each time he summons he adds more types of skeletons and with more summons he has more health so he gets to summon more if the dps isn't keeping up.

Wait, Wolnir summons skeletons?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh that reminds me I just saw this last night: apparently Wolnir only summons skeletons if you don't break the bridge in front of his room. I broke it every time without fail so I was really confused as to why when I was getting summoned for that fight he was bringing in skeletons constantly and I'd never seen it before.

Not totally sure it's true since I haven't actually tested it, but it at least seems to fit with my experience. Always break the bridge.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My reaction to every boss I've encountered so far:

IG - I'm not used to boss fights this early, game owns. 2 Tries.
V - Meh. 1 Try.
RG - Meh. 1 Try.
CS - Meh. 1 Try.
DooD - Whoa. Cool. Not completely obvious mechanics. Fight can get away from you if you're not careful. 3 tries.
AW - SoY from Bloodborne combined with some Lady Maria. Cool fight. Easy though. 1 Try.
HLW - This guy doesn't seem so ba-WHY AM I DYING SO FAST WHAT IS HAPPENING. 3 Tries.
ODK - For the LOVE OF GOD stop using AOE attacks guy. 3 Tries.
PS - CHRIST GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME. 4 Tries.

Some of the bosses are really really cool, but ultimately I think I'm generally good enough at the game that most bosses are tending to be pushovers. The PS fight in particular was perfect I think. Cool boss design, the arena was fantastic and the music was amazing. However some random enemies that you fight throughout the game have killed me more than any boss.

Game is great though. I'm loving every minute of it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spanish Manlove posted:

59:35 spoopy scary and I'm fighting him by myself

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yep. Fortunately, a lot of his attacks will also kill them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And you did indeed not break the bridge. I bet it's true, that's pretty cool

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

And man, I never get tired of killing Wolnir. His death animation is so satisfying. Get eaten by the abyss, you vile oval office.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

And man, I never get tired of killing Wolnir. His death animation is so satisfying. Get eaten by the abyss, you vile oval office.

I'm only partway through but it occurs to me that two out of five lords failed to show up because they were taken by the Abyss. The watchers are getting turned by it and busy fighting their own ranks to the last man and Wolnir is consumed by it. Also it's funny how with AW some darkwraiths take that opportunity to try to make a run for it. :haw:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm only partway through but it occurs to me that two out of five lords failed to show up because they were taken by the Abyss. The watchers are getting turned by it and busy fighting their own ranks to the last man and Wolnir is consumed by it. Also it's funny how with AW some darkwraiths take that opportunity to try to make a run for it. :haw:

Wolnir's not a Lord of Cinder, just some rear end in a top hat king who got in way, way over his head.

The Abyss Watchers got gobbled by the Dark, Aldrich was hustled away by his deranged followers, and Yhorne just straight-up don't give a gently caress.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I still don't get how the 'watchers' plural are a 'lord of cinder' singular

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also why are all the bosses 'heirs of fire'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Wolnir's not a Lord of Cinder, just some rear end in a top hat king who got in way, way over his head.

The Abyss Watchers got gobbled by the Dark, Aldrich was hustled away by his deranged followers, and Yhorne just straight-up don't give a gently caress.

Whoops, I made that mistake last night trying to put the cinder in too and kept thinking "gently caress where does it go".

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wolnir is cool, I never noticed he summons skeletons. Imagine my surprise when those dudes suddenly popped up when I was sunbro'ing. They weren't really much of a danger, though, since Wolnir killed most of them instantly...
Also just discovered you don't have to hit the bracelets, hitting the hands is enough :woah:

As an aside: I'm gonna start over! And this dude, I'm planning on taking all the way to NG++ (hellooooo platinum trophy). I want to try out Pyromancy. What's a good weapon for that? I figure I'll infuse something with Chaos or Dark, and use some weapon for it that moderately scales off of Dexterity for casting speed. I don't want to go with katana again, though, I used that extensively on my last Dex/Int dude (I wish I had beaten Nameless King earlier, the sword you get from his soul is rad...).

Any ideas? Maybe a suitable boss weapon too for mainly Int/Faith plus moderate Dex?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

Whoops, I made that mistake last night trying to put the cinder in too and kept thinking "gently caress where does it go".

That's OK, I was over halfway through the game before I noticed one of the Lords! Ludreth just chilling out on his little throne.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Walrus posted:

They share a singular essence that is slowly being gathered into one body. Winning that boss fight is effectively compressing their soul of cinder into a single body, then killing that body.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

also why are all the bosses 'heirs of fire'

I assume it's basically the bootstraps of the Souls world. Someone who amassed power enough to potentially challenge the Lord souls if they were still around.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Walrus posted:

These are the people who thought "Demon's Souls" was a good title remember.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Walrus posted:

If the four kings possess a split lord soul then the watchers can totally be a mini-set of Cinder Lords.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Walrus posted:

They linked the fire together as one, so they share one "Lord" essence apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How much further past the Crystal Sage is the option to respec? My friend said it was that direction and I want to know if I should soldier on or just remake my character because I'm unhappy with the stats I did.