Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the macbook was updated to skylake and is now avaiable in rose gold

still no thunderbolt 3 or even usb 3.1 rev 2
still has a 480p camera lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Amethyst posted:

it's incredibly fail you can't disable the nag screen. oh well I guess windows 10 style nag screens are the future

mlyp

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
tim tooted a bad link

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/722417443314872320

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I want a new 15" mbp cmon son

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Perplx posted:

Why don't they just put a camera wart on the macbook? that's acceptable practice now isnt it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Amethyst posted:

the nag screen pops up daily. i'd rather not deal with this

suffer, cretin this is the price you pay for outdated software

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
outdated software that actually runs correctly on the hardware i own. unlike ios10 or whatever which will inevitably be laggy, and ios 11 which will be even laggier and render the phone unusuable.

you guys may think it's cool and win that a company with practically unlimited engineering resources refuse to push security updates to old ios versions to manufacture obsolescence but not everyone is happy to indulge in irresponsible mass consumerism when it is completely unecessary

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 19, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hopefully apple lose the class action lawsuit and are forced by a judge to disable the nag screen and push security updates to ios 9 for an extended period.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol at a 480p camera in 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"how do i make it stop updating? i hope they make it so they have to update it."

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

update: tim fixed his bad link

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Amethyst posted:

outdated software that actually runs correctly on the hardware i own. unlike ios10 or whatever which will inevitably be laggy, and ios 11 which will be even laggier and render the phone unusuable.

you guys may think it's cool and win that a company with practically unlimited engineering resources refuse to push security updates to old ios versions to manufacture obsolescence but not everyone is happy to indulge in irresponsible mass consumerism when it is completely unecessary

lmao.

why does my computer get slower every time new software comes out? it's a conspiracy!

said completely unironically. in yospos.

loving amazing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bill gates steve jobs tim cook is try to force me to buy a new computer!

that's how they get you, you know. i've never once updated this mac classic and it runs os7 like the day i bought it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

as opposed to [insert fictional company] who maintains support on their old mobile OS's

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

things change, world advances, old man yells at cloud.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

"how do i make it stop updating? i hope they make it so they have to update it."

hurrrrr

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

lmao.

why does my computer get slower every time new software comes out? it's a conspiracy!

said completely unironically. in yospos.

loving amazing.

they didn't set out to make it slower. they take the convenient path which happens to increase sales at the expense of their customers and the environment. forcing updates which impact performance is objectively worse for customers, and objectively leads to higher sales. it's precisely the kind of situation consumer law should address, because Apple would be irrational not to

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

forcing updates that fix security holes by updating frameworks and os-level code is exactly what they should be doing. they have no obligation to fix things in the very specific manner you find acceptable by spending additional resources to keep bearded grognards happy that nothing looks different

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

you can fix security holes separately from all of the features which bog down old hardware. Microsoft do it. loving canonical maintain lts distros. why not Apple? (because it's in their interest to make people update)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

and it isn't a grognard thing. tons of people complain about this poo poo. it's a well known thing amongst normies

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

also, paying 900 bucks for something should entitle you to more than a year or two of real support, not bullshit support that screws you over

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft does not do it without affecting performance.

i can 100% guarantee you that a fully "critical" patched windows 7 machine will run slower than a base build 7600 install on the same hardware. just like fully patched xp was slower than a base 2600 build on identical hardware

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

microsoft xp service packs didn't kill performance, nor do Ubuntu security updates. try again bud

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Perplx posted:

Ordered like a motherfucker! Thanks for the heads up!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

microsoft xp service packs didn't kill performance, nor do Ubuntu security updates. try again bud

go build two vms. patch one with only critical security patches. leave the other stock. race them and see who boots to a usable desktop first.

i'll wait

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Amethyst posted:

microsoft xp service packs didn't kill performance

they most certainly did. esp after all the security stuff in SP2

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

go build two vms. patch one with only critical security patches. leave the other stock. race them and see who boots to a usable desktop first.

i'll wait

here's a better test: find some news articles from major outlets on the subject of Windows updates slowing down hardware conveniently obsoleting recent computers. now Google "iOS planned obsolescence"

I'll wait.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, so you admit you have no idea what you're talking about and you just think this because of random articles written by the tech press, or lack thereof?

that's cool, but you basically said that when you started complaining about "planned obsolescence" to begin with.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it would be objectively better for consumers if Apple supported their hardware in more reasonable manner. all you fuckers are defending this from the corporate perspective. pathetic forum.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Amethyst posted:

and it isn't a grognard thing. tons of people complain about this poo poo. it's a well known thing amongst normies

hi blue stymie i don't know a single apple owner personally that has any complaints about performance.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

it would be objectively better for consumers if Apple supported their hardware in more reasonable manner. all you fuckers are defending this from the corporate perspective. pathetic forum.

/
        /

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

okay, so you admit you have no idea what you're talking about and you just think this because of random articles written by the tech press, or lack thereof?

that's cool, but you basically said that when you started complaining about "planned obsolescence" to begin with.

you're a retard dude. if something is a problem for lots and lots of people it penetrates the popular consciousness. you specifically claimed it hadn't when you said it was a grognard thing. your idiotic counterpoint about xp being just like iOS is demonstrably false.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

/
        /

Mr. Nice! posted:

hi blue stymie i don't know a single apple owner personally that has any complaints about performance.

that's nice. there are class action lawsuits about this in multiple countries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

that's nice. there are class action lawsuits about this in multiple countries.

lol. imagine the evidence they'll find.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

furthermore, Windows machines offer a downgrade path. so, even if that whole thing was true, it still isn't the same as this poo poo Apple pull with iOS

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol. imagine the evidence they'll find.

all you need to do is try typing on an iPhone 5s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ios doesn't downgrade because the radio baseband is updated too, for security. the older os doesn't have drivers for the newer baseband, so you can't downgrade past a certain point.

if you want to follow stymie's golden path of ios5 on iphone 4, you can, just never run an upgrade and disconnect your phone from the internet so your poo poo doesn't get hacked because you refuse to update.

Amethyst posted:

all you need to do is try typing on an iPhone 5s

i have one, running latest ios, what's supposed to be wrong with it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple's actually done pretty well with the last few versions of ios. ios 9 works great on both my 5c and 5s that i use for testing.

pretty impressive that the 5c still works well when its essentially a 5.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ios doesn't downgrade because the radio baseband is updated too, for security. the older os doesn't have drivers for the newer baseband, so you can't downgrade past a certain point.

if you want to follow stymie's golden path of ios5 on iphone 4, you can, just never run an upgrade and disconnect your phone from the internet so your poo poo doesn't get hacked because you refuse to update.

i have one, running latest ios, what's supposed to be wrong with it?

lol uh huh. it is literally impossible to change drivers, as part of a software package.

I'm sure your phone is fine, and suits your needs, but it's worse, and will continue to get worse, for completely avoidable reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Last Chance posted:

apple's actually done pretty well with the last few versions of ios. ios 9 works great on both my 5c and 5s that i use for testing.

pretty impressive that the 5c still works well when its essentially a 5.

5c is garbage with ios9 unless your making excuses due to brand loyalty induced cognitive dissonance

• Locked thread