Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also I mentally add 2% to Remain every time an EU referendum poll comes out to cover missing Northern Irish responses.

Maybe I'm optimistic but prove me wrong polling people :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Also I mentally add 2% to Remain every time an EU referendum poll comes out to cover missing Northern Irish responses.

Does Scotland's idea still hold if England, Wales, and Scotland all vote Remain but Northern Ireland votes Leave?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ICM polls Northern Ireland, I know because the auto-dialler would always give me Northern Irish people at 10 AM on a loving Sunday. Several hours of people telling me to gently caress off on the Lord's day.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

ICM polls Northern Ireland, I know because the auto-dialler would always give me Northern Irish people at 10 AM on a loving Sunday. Several hours of people telling me to gently caress off on the Lord's day.

The tables for that poll shows no Northern Ireland respondents though

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Dabir posted:

This is

Dumb.

The tables for that poll shows no Northern Ireland respondents though

NI are just a region in England that hasn't been found in the poll.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EvilGenius posted:

TBH, when was the last time you heard someone refer to a vagina as a 'oval office'?

I still use it when taking extra filthy in bed or when having phone sex, totally still has its place

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope for Tesseraction's sake you're on the do not call list.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I once interrupted a couple having sex. Awkward conversation followed as he said he couldn't really answer a survey there and then and I apologised for bothering him.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Who the gently caress answers the phone during sex?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

hahah beaten like that guy's climax was by the phone

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

I once interrupted a couple having sex. Awkward conversation followed as he said he couldn't really answer a survey there and then and I apologised for bothering him.

did he answer any questions at all?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Does Scotland's idea still hold if England, Wales, and Scotland all vote Remain but Northern Ireland votes Leave?

NI will vote remain by a good margin, some local polls have put it at 75/25 to remain with undecideds eliminated and somewhere in the high-50s for remain even with undecideds.

You'll have to try harder than that to get rid of us

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He answered the phone because our dialling system doesn't allow you to hang up on a ringing phone without permission, and he didn't have an answering machine, and presumeably he thought it was an emergency to do with his family.

The question he answered was me asking if he was okay with us calling back and he distractedly said "sure, whatever" before hanging up. The woman found the situation comically awkward judging by their interactions.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

He answered the phone because our dialling system doesn't allow you to hang up on a ringing phone without permission, and he didn't have an answering machine
So if he's been out you'd be listening to the phone ring for six hours?

Edit: Oh presumably permission from your manager, durr

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, they record our audio stream and computer actions, so if we hang up without waiting a 'sensible' amount of time we're in trouble.

And yes, they do listen to the audio streams - often to find out if someone introduced political bias (my classmate got fired for pro-Tory bias, something I wish would happen in more professions).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Because of the wonders of the House of Lords, the Lib Dems have won a parliamentary by-election, where Viscount John Sinclair of Thurso, former MP for (and current owner of half the land in) Caithness, Sutherland, and Easter Ross, has been unanimously voted by the three hereditary Lib Dem peers to replace the deceased Lord Avebury.

Our parliamentary system is working juuuuuuuuuust fine, ladies and gentlemen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

You'll have to try harder than that to get rid of us
Would guaranteeing marriage equality and abortion on demand at a national level do it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I do know some people that would answer the phone while having sex just because the only people who ever call are emergency related.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Taear posted:

I do know some people that would answer the phone while having sex just because the only people who ever call are emergency related.

Was it you who got routine pooing updates texted to you by a fellow goon?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Surely once a telephone call is answered it is no longer during sex?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Was it you who got routine pooing updates texted to you by a fellow goon?
What the hell kind of person would do that when PMs exist?

e:

Dead Goon posted:

Who's saying they stopped?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't pull out, which would have made him receiving bad news even weirder than some phone survey.

Guavanaut posted:

What the hell kind of person would do that when PMs exist?

a) the receiver didn't want these texts, it was purely to annoy him

b) and thus PMs are blockable, texts aren't

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tesseraction posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't pull out, which would have made him receiving bad news even weirder than some phone survey.

a) the receiver didn't want these texts, it was purely to annoy him

b) and thus PMs are blockable, texts aren't

Also I don't have plat. And yea, Char does it, the lovely man that he is.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Try it once. You get to play the game of "will the person on the other end of the call realise"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

Because of the wonders of the House of Lords, the Lib Dems have won a parliamentary by-election, where Viscount John Sinclair of Thurso, former MP for (and current owner of half the land in) Caithness, Sutherland, and Easter Ross, has been unanimously voted by the three hereditary Lib Dem peers to replace the deceased Lord Avebury.

Our parliamentary system is working juuuuuuuuuust fine, ladies and gentlemen.

Would've been nice if the 3 members of the electorate had taken a stand and boycotted the election. But what are principles worth?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lib Dem and principles lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Taear posted:

Also I don't have plat. And yea, Char does it, the lovely man that he is.

I seem to remember him detailing some hilariously angry response, but I'm not sure if they were via text or elsewhere. Always made me giggle, though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

Would've been nice if the 3 members of the electorate had taken a stand and boycotted the election. But what are principles worth?

The returning officer would have probably had to do a coin toss.

Hereditary replacement by-elections have to happen by law, so a party boycott would just give one of the 90 hereditary slots to the Tories to choose instead.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Would guaranteeing marriage equality and abortion on demand at a national level do it?

Too late for that suckers. The magic of devolution. You had your chance to change our abortion laws in 2008 and Gordon Brown killed it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McDragon posted:

Gove and Hunt should swap first names. That'd be good for a laugh or two.

I know a guy called Mike Hunter

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

did he answer any questions at all?

"In or out?" :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I'm confused, the last two polls show Labour at 31% then at 33% down by 3?

What?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ones online, the other phone.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

The returning officer would have probably had to do a coin toss.

Hereditary replacement by-elections have to happen by law, so a party boycott would just give one of the 90 hereditary slots to the Tories to choose instead.
Not sure that'd make much difference :p

But I'm fairly certain that in hereditary replacement by elections by law the only eligible candidates can be meme era of the same party as the deceased, not just a convention. So there's no mechanism by which the seat could go to the Tories.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm confused, the last two polls show Labour at 31% then at 33% down by 3?

What?
The second one is online and the last one is phone, I assume they're comparing like with like.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Ones online, the other phone.

TACD posted:

The second one is online and the last one is phone, I assume they're comparing like with like.

Knew there had to be something. Ta.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Junior doctors' strike: Jeremy Hunt rejects BMA offer to cancel walk-out if he halts contract imposition posted:

Jeremy Hunt has rejected the British Medical Association's (BMA) offer to cancel next week’s all-out junior doctor strike in exchange for him halting the imposition of the controversial new contract.

In a letter to the Health Secretary, the British Medical Association (BMA) said no junior doctors wanted to take further industrial action, but that medics would not accept a contract being forced on them.

Their appeal urged the Government to “get back around the table” and offer direct talks between the BMA’s junior doctor committee chair Dr Johann Malawana and Mr Hunt “at any time between now and the start of next week’s industrial action”.

But a Department of Health spokesperson said: "We have today written to the BMA to make clear that it is not credible to call for imposition to be lifted when they refused to negotiate on the one remaining issue of Saturday pay that separates the two sides.
“More than 500 doctors have already signed up to a new contract that was 90% agreed with the BMA, following 75 meetings and 73 concessions made by the Government.”

Next week’s strike will be the first to see junior doctors walk out from all types of care, including A&E departments and other emergency services. The escalation has prompted stark warnings over patient safety from senior doctors including the NHS medical director Professor Sir Bruce Keogh, the chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies.

Dr Malawana himself sought unsuccessfully to convince union colleagues before the announcement was made that paediatric emergency services should be excluded from the strike, according to internal emails seen by the Health Service Journal last week.

In his letter to Mr Hunt, Dr Malawana wrote: “With a week to go to the start of the first full walkout of doctors in this country, I am writing to make a clear offer in a bid to avert industrial action.
"Simply put, if the Government will lift the imposition, junior doctors will call off next week’s strike action on 26 and 27 April.
“The imposition of this contract is tremendously damaging to the morale of junior doctors and medical students and has resulted in a complete breakdown of trust between doctors and the Government. It is this decision which has led to the current, lamentable situation, the resolution to which is now squarely in your hands.
“As you know, no junior doctor wants to have to take industrial action, but they have been left without further recourse. Junior doctors who I meet up and down the country are saying they will not accept a contract being forced on them, a contract which the Government’s own equality impact assessment acknowledges to be discriminatory to women."

The decision to impose the contract came in February, after Mr Hunt was advised by his chief negotiator, NHS hospital chief executive Sir David Dalton, that there was “no realistic prospect of a negotiated outcome”. [...]
Source: Indy

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
But we had a negotiated outcome! We had it and that fucker vetoed it! What the fuuuuuck :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

But we had a negotiated outcome! We had it and that fucker vetoed it! What the fuuuuuck :bang:

He's a giant smeghead who is trying to demolish the NHS.

This is news to you?

• Locked thread