Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The worst part of The Evil Within, for me, was one meat locker room with these giant, nearly unkillable monsters. If you did kill one, then another would spawn, and I think it was possible to have two giant dudes in the cramped room chasing you around. The only escape was through a dumbwaiter that arrived after a certain amount of time and I went into the room without much in the way of ammo or healing items, and I had to scavenge items to make freezing crossbow bolts while avoiding death. It got pretty frustrating, but it was a lot of trial and error before I settled on the "freeze monster" method. Towards the end the game turns very much towards a third-person action game in the same way RE4 did, and I think the spooky stuff peters out right before then.

I'm really interested in getting Bravely Second, but I haven't beaten Bravely Default. I think I was at the last temple before the time loop fuckery, which I am now well aware of. Are there any important details about Default that I should know going into Second? I tried going back to Default but I couldn't get back into the groove and I couldn't find a save point so I kind of let it linger. Maybe I should just read a spoiler about the ending and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
fAIRY fLIES

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yo I thought this was both really funny and clever to do that sort of thing even if it is silly as hell

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Yo I thought this was both really funny and clever to do that sort of thing even if it is silly as hell

well yeah they did say it wasn't an FF game sooo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Every once in a while I remember the Gex games and how badly I wish they'd make another one. For some reason the level design in those games was always super endearing to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

Every once in a while I remember the Gex games and how badly I wish they'd make another one. For some reason the level design in those games was always super endearing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CksQPb-nYtQ

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

You're looking for the Jak and Daxter series.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Weren't all of those bad except the first one? I got about an hour into the second and it was a complete piece of poo poo, and it didn't really sound like the sequels improved on it much.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jak & Daxter wasn't that good.
Jak II was boring.
Jak III was pretty cool most of the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like them a lot, although 3 hits the vehicle missions a little hard, but I get why other people wouldn't.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're looking for the Jak and Daxter series.

you mean sly cooper ofc

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like all three Jak games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've never been able to keep ratchet and clank, sly cooper and jak and daxter straight in my head, and this conversation is not helping.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

you mean sly cooper ofc
Jak is more like Gex. A little "edgier," more badass antihero talking animals etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I've never been able to keep ratchet and clank, sly cooper and jak and daxter straight in my head, and this conversation is not helping.
Cat and robot, raccoon et al., dude and weasel.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I completely forgot about Star Fox Zero and turns out it's coming out this Friday!

It looks fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked the PS2 era a lot during because it was really cool to have three series of games being a spin off of the platformer genre with their own take on it in their own unique ways and they were all fun and cool

Seems Ratchet is the only one who did a good job moving forward tho

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baal posted:

I liked the PS2 era a lot during because it was really cool to have three series of games being a spin off of the platformer genre with their own take on it in their own unique ways and they were all fun and cool

Seems Ratchet is the only one who did a good job moving forward tho
It's like how Crash and Spyro didn't survive the PS2 era.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Was the latest Sly game good?

I heard nothing about it when it came out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Crash & Spyro

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

It was kinda bland. It didn't really do anything new and had some mini game sequences that weren't too stellar along with a playable montage that probably goes on a bit longer than it should and all of the other coopers are pretty uninspired.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like how Crash and Spyro didn't survive the PS2 era.

Spyro's still got his good looks...

sort of.

Here comes his good friend David Spade Sparx

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 19, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

average but not amazing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Spyro retired and is living lavishly in a mansion somewhere making mad bank off the Skylanders royalties

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
"Spyro & Crash" would be a neat game. I like asymmetrical player characters, and there are ways to make something like that good for couch co-op or solo play. Spyro's got his glides, Crash's got his slides. Spyro can breath fire, Crash can... spin like a tire? I don't know, whoever would be making the game would modern them up anyway so Crash would probably have some gadgety stuff like magnet gloves. I could design a couple levels based on that verb set.

Oh well.

e: I've always wanted to participate in a game jam, but my lack of programming experience made me not want to bother (game designer/writer seems like a very popular role), but maybe there's room in the next one for my hit new game "Pyro and Bash"

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crash and the Spyro's

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ballistic: jax versus spyro

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

'Crash & Gex' would be like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for kids

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

"Spyro & Crash" would be a neat game. I like asymmetrical player characters, and there are ways to make something like that good for couch co-op or solo play. Spyro's got his glides, Crash's got his slides. Spyro can breath fire, Crash can... spin like a tire? I don't know, whoever would be making the game would modern them up anyway so Crash would probably have some gadgety stuff like magnet gloves. I could design a couple levels based on that verb set.

Oh well.

e: I've always wanted to participate in a game jam, but my lack of programming experience made me not want to bother (game designer/writer seems like a very popular role), but maybe there's room in the next one for my hit new game "Pyro and Bash"

Weren't there two games for the GBA that involved crash and spyro going into each other's worlds?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember when Crash Bandicoot had a really lovely mario kart clone out on the DS, the Nintendo Power guys were really pumped to talk about how lovely it was. That's what you get for yelling at us in the parking lot you orange turd!!!!!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hey cool it's SuperGiant's next game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvxfmnrNj2U

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LawfulWaffle posted:

The worst part of The Evil Within, for me, was one meat locker room with these giant, nearly unkillable monsters. If you did kill one, then another would spawn, and I think it was possible to have two giant dudes in the cramped room chasing you around. The only escape was through a dumbwaiter that arrived after a certain amount of time and I went into the room without much in the way of ammo or healing items, and I had to scavenge items to make freezing crossbow bolts while avoiding death. It got pretty frustrating, but it was a lot of trial and error before I settled on the "freeze monster" method. Towards the end the game turns very much towards a third-person action game in the same way RE4 did, and I think the spooky stuff peters out right before then.

I'm really interested in getting Bravely Second, but I haven't beaten Bravely Default. I think I was at the last temple before the time loop fuckery, which I am now well aware of. Are there any important details about Default that I should know going into Second? I tried going back to Default but I couldn't get back into the groove and I couldn't find a save point so I kind of let it linger. Maybe I should just read a spoiler about the ending and move on.

The story gets really dumb after the point you're at and for some reason the characters go right along with it even though they seem totally aware of what they're doing, and I'd say to just youtube it, but there's an AR bit that ties into the sequel that I don't know would come through well on Youtube.

Adam Bowen posted:

Weren't all of those bad except the first one? I got about an hour into the second and it was a complete piece of poo poo, and it didn't really sound like the sequels improved on it much.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Which one was it when they turned it into a lovely Mario 64 clone?
edit: I thought this was referring to the Gex games, but it seems to apply just as well.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

raditts posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Which one was it when they turned it into a lovely Mario 64 clone?
edit: I thought this was referring to the Gex games, but it seems to apply just as well.

The first Jak game. After that they were sort of gta-ish?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Clevermuldoon posted:

Weren't there two games for the GBA that involved crash and spyro going into each other's worlds?

Son of a gun. That image might not make it clear, but the individual covers have a little "Guest staring X" thing on them. So I guess there's a precedent.

e: jesus that was big

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 19, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Uhhh is this like a multiplayer thing? Why...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Uhhh is this like a multiplayer thing? Why...

Sorta turn based RPG is what i'm reading.
http://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/first-look-at-our-third-game-pyre/

No multiplayer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That reminds me, I need to finish Transistor, I had to stop playing it when my one PC upgraded to Windows 10 after which the game wouldn't display any video, audio only.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Son of a gun. That image might not make it clear, but the individual covers have a little "Guest staring X" thing on them. So I guess there's a precedent.

Third party games for Nintendo systems should have warning labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

That reminds me, I need to finish Transistor, I had to stop playing it when my one PC upgraded to Windows 10 after which the game wouldn't display any video, audio only.

Transistor is more stylistically effective than Bastion but it really didn't grab me the same way.

• Locked thread