Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

Or maybe someone doesn't know the name of an app and is looking at icons or app names or whatever.

Who cares how someone uses their computer?

I just want to ~save~ people!

Next you're going to tell me that you actually use the keyboard lighting.

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is a good brightness to keep my Air at? I use Flux for nighttime auto settings but I usually keep it at half brightness and then if I'm playing a game or something go to full. is that ok?

Auto brightness is best brightness. Sometimes you have to turn it up or down and I heard that it learns somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What is a good brightness to keep my Air at? I use Flux for nighttime auto settings but I usually keep it at half brightness and then if I'm playing a game or something go to full. is that ok?

I always keep my Macs at full minus four bars. I might go down 2 more late at night.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've got a 2009 MBP that is still trucking and the only times it's been at less than full brightness was when I was watching a movie in bed and didn't want to bother my wife. 6.5 years and the display shows no signs of being hosed up.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

So, I've got a mid-2012 MBPro, 13". It's most recent install was a completely clean install of El Cap—reformatted the drive, installed off a USB. It's still, honestly, sluggish, especially when waking up from sleep—this can take a minute or more, much of which is waiting for it to accept keystrokes at the password screen. Loading the Finder environment can take a long time after a reboot, too.

So, I'm probably going to head down the SSD route. What is the current goon-approved choice? I had a look at the first few posts in this megathread, but they're a bit old...!

So, I posted this a bit ago. I was advised to change the HDD cable, which I did, to no avail.

I have run Disk Utlity (SMART all verified happily) and booted in single-user mode and fsck'd it (seemingly nothing untoward appearing). It would appear, then, that the HDD is maybe not dying? Starting up recently from sleep it did this lovely thing (apologies for over-exposure—what you're seeing is half the apple symbol, and then the loading bar at the bottom). It sat like this for nearly a minute, before fading into the log-in screen (where it took a further little while to register keystrokes).

Other stuff: it auto-connects to a NAS, but even with that turned off it makes no difference to wake up/start up times. Desktop icons take an age to load on wake/start. The first few applications to be opened bounce for a long time, and I'll often see the beachball. Spotlight search can be very slow.

Replacing with an SSD is an option, soon, but I'd rather make sure that it's the HDD that's the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
95% change your drive is hosed. See if you can borrow a (blank or wipeable) external drive from someone, boot into recovery mode, and install the OS to it. If it boots/runs fine from there you can be pretty drat sure.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just had to buy a new magsafe 2 power adaptor for my rMBP after the cord around the magnetic connector frayed.

I know this is a common problem, but I'd obviously like to avoid having to purchase any more $85 chargers. Are these things I found online actually worth anything?

http://thefrayfix.bigcartel.com/product/the-fray-fix-mini

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Thauros posted:

I just had to buy a new magsafe 2 power adaptor for my rMBP after the cord around the magnetic connector frayed.

I know this is a common problem, but I'd obviously like to avoid having to purchase any more $85 chargers. Are these things I found online actually worth anything?

http://thefrayfix.bigcartel.com/product/the-fray-fix-mini

Not really, a cord grip would do the same job and you can buy one at a hardware store for like a buck.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finally got a working MagSafe adapter for an old Blackbook I had sitting around: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-black-13-specs.html

It hasn't been turned on for 5, maybe 6 years, so it's running 10.5.8, but it seems to still work just fine. What the hell do I even do with this thing?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

Mine is at max brightness at all times because I've spent so long in front of a computer that my body adapted to draw energy from display backlights instead of the sun

Your body could once draw energy from the sun? :stare:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New 12" MacBooks out today ( Rose Gold !!!!!)

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hooray!

I'm staying with Gold, but gently caress, the Rose looks nice.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 19, 2016

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Pretty glad the update hasn't completely obsoleted my early adopter model like the first Air, seems a very minor spec bump all round.

Will be interesting to see some benchmarks once they're shipping to see how much difference the newer CPU architecture actually makes. Same base clock speeds and minor (0.1 - 0.2GHz) bumps on the max turbo speed.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Josh Lyman posted:

I finally got a working MagSafe adapter for an old Blackbook I had sitting around: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-black-13-specs.html

It hasn't been turned on for 5, maybe 6 years, so it's running 10.5.8, but it seems to still work just fine. What the hell do I even do with this thing?

This post just made me remember how much I loved my original Blackbook. Would love if they brought back that color for the rMBP refresh. Nice way to differentiate from the rMB colors and also look potentially badass.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Rev A Blackbook I still use for writing. It's running 10.6.8 and Firefox works great. I wanted to replace this with the new MB when it first came out but I thought it was under powered and had crap battery life. Despite the new one that came out today--I'm still sticking with the plan of buying a maxed out 15" rMBP once they release. Time to change things up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The MacBook Airs are getting a Ram boost from 4GB Default to 8GB Default.

The price of the 2015 MacBook Air on the refurb store also dropped by $100 today. Wouldn't t surprise me if the refreshed MacBook Air also drops by $100 since all they did was a Ram boost.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jealous Cow posted:

Your body could once draw energy from the sun? :stare:

I identify as a plant, so yes.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So skylake and more ram... enough to tempt me now? Or wait till the rMBP refresh?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Astro7x posted:

The price of the 2015 MacBook Air on the refurb store also dropped by $100 today. Wouldn't t surprise me if the refreshed MacBook Air also drops by $100 since all they did was a Ram boost.

The lack of Thunderbolt 3 concerns me, since I feel like it makes Thunderbolt 3 at WWDC a little less likely.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

So skylake and more ram... enough to tempt me now? Or wait till the rMBP refresh?

$1300 for the 1.3/512 model on the refurb store. At that price, I'd try the old model before jumping on this new one. Besides, this refresh skipped what I was looking for: 4K@60Hz, seemingly b/c they didn't update the USB-C port.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

The "more ram" idea is being confused with the 13" Air being bumped to 8GB today. The MacBook has no RAM options - it was 8GB in the original model and it's 8GB in today's, the only difference is that it's slightly faster now (1866MHz vs 1600MHz).

The differences in today's MacBook are:
  • Newer CPU architecture
  • Slightly faster turbo speeds
  • Faster graphics (~25%)
  • Faster RAM
  • Slightly increased battery capacity, leading to an extra hour of life
  • Apparently faster storage, but there's no specifics for that

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I like the part where we still can't order it. FFS.

[edit] N/M. Ordered finally. Wish it had 16gb ram honestly - I looked on iFixIt and the teardown shows like three different types they use between current models.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 19, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Astro7x posted:

Only the 13-inch is getting the bump. The 11-inch still ships with 4GB by default.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wait gently caress does that mean no rmbp this year?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Froist posted:

The "more ram" idea is being confused with the 13" Air being bumped to 8GB today. The MacBook has no RAM options - it was 8GB in the original model and it's 8GB in today's, the only difference is that it's slightly faster now (1866MHz vs 1600MHz).

The differences in today's MacBook are:
  • Newer CPU architecture
  • Slightly faster turbo speeds
  • Faster graphics (~25%)
  • Faster RAM
  • Slightly increased battery capacity, leading to an extra hour of life
  • Apparently faster storage, but there's no specifics for that

Hmm. Still a hard decision. May have to go play with one soon.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Why on earth would Apple's updating their low-end macbook with Core m CPUs have remotely any bearing on updating their workstation notebooks?? It's goddamned april. just freaking wait til wwdc like the rest of us.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

You... realize it's still April, right? Am I being trolled?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
No I'm sorry I'm just not that bright. I figured they would refresh all their laptops at once. Back in the day their releases seemed more cohesive. Thanks for the info I'll go back to waiting in my corner.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If anything it means it's more likely they'll get an update. Apple does the quiet launches ahead of time when they have a lot to show at the larger events.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also agree with some Mac news outlets and opinions here that the days are numbered for the MacBook Air.

But maybe it'll prove to be so continually popular that it'll become what the 13-inch MacBook Pro Mid-2012 (the one with the built-in SuperDrive) is now to the regular MacBook Pros; still sold but forever frozen at the Early 2015 configuration.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

wdarkk posted:

The lack of Thunderbolt 3 concerns me, since I feel like it makes Thunderbolt 3 at WWDC a little less likely.

Intel hasn't integrated Thunderbolt into the SoC version of Skylake AFAIK. That makes it a tough thing to add in the Macbook, what with its total lack of space for extra ICs on the motherboard.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Kaby Lake will have it on the chip

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

walropodes posted:

Kaby Lake will have it on the chip

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Mac Hardware megathread - waiting for the next chip to fix all our problems

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BobHoward posted:

Intel hasn't integrated Thunderbolt into the SoC version of Skylake AFAIK. That makes it a tough thing to add in the Macbook, what with its total lack of space for extra ICs on the motherboard.

Huh. So they kicked it out now, then at WWDC they could hypothetically say "All the Macs we're announcing today have Thunderbolt 3."

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Also agree with some Mac news outlets and opinions here that the days are numbered for the MacBook Air.

But maybe it'll prove to be so continually popular that it'll become what the 13-inch MacBook Pro Mid-2012 (the one with the built-in SuperDrive) is now to the regular MacBook Pros; still sold but forever frozen at the Early 2015 configuration.

I'm not sure why they would keep it around really - the 2012 MacBook Pro still exists because it's the only laptop in the lineup with a DVD drive, Firewire and network port built in, plus it includes user-upgradeable RAM and a standard 2.5" hard drive. It's age makes it stick out like a sore thumb in Apple's lineup (along with the non-retina screen), but I can see a business/educational market still existing for it.

The Air on the other hand is being encroached on from both sides: The MacBook is lighter, thinner and more portable, and the MacBook Pro is shrinking in size. Complete speculation but I can see this year's MacBook Pro taking on a more Air-like form factor, with thermal limits of processors decreasing while performance isn't hugely improving year-on-year. At that point you'd have a thin, powerful, port-complete retina laptop in the Pro market segment, and the retina MacBook for the ultra-portable market. Maybe the Air will drop down to a super-cheap, entry level point?

I really thought they'd leave the Air untouched and then quietly retire it down the line, but I don't see why they'd give it the RAM bump today if that was the case.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Mac Hardware megathread - waiting for the next chip to fix all our problems
lol pretty much. I will buy the next rMBP no matter what because this is getting ridiculous.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Housh posted:

I have a Rev A Blackbook I still use for writing. It's running 10.6.8 and Firefox works great. I wanted to replace this with the new MB when it first came out but I thought it was under powered and had crap battery life. Despite the new one that came out today--I'm still sticking with the plan of buying a maxed out 15" rMBP once they release. Time to change things up.
Spent the night with the Blackbook and I just don't see a use case for it since I have a newer Core i7 Thinkpad. Looks like I might get $150 on Ebay before fees, whereas Best Buy will give me enough to straight up pay for a 4TB HDD for my desktop, which I could actually use right now.

It just seems like such a waste for a perfectly fine, functioning machine, even if it was released in autumn 2006.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Spent the night with the Blackbook and I just don't see a use case for it since I have a newer Core i7 Thinkpad. Looks like I might get $150 on Ebay before fees, whereas Best Buy will give me enough to straight up pay for a 4TB HDD for my desktop, which I could actually use right now.

It just seems like such a waste for a perfectly fine, functioning machine, even if it was released in autumn 2006.

There's nothing wrong with just sticking an old laptop in a drawer for when you need something to write on or whatever that is basically disposable. I've got a first gen iPad that I use in the kitchen a lot because I really don't give a poo poo if I drop it in a pot of boiling water or whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Best Buy via SlickDeals

http://slickdeals.net/f/8677815-bestbuy-have-apple-macbook-pro-on-sales-from-850-1250

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" Laptop (MD101LL/A) $849.99 (500GB/4GB)

Apple MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display (MF839LL/A Latest Model) $1049.99 (128GB/8GB)

128GB on the low-end config is a loving joke especially when the 256GB model is $1249

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Froist posted:

I'm not sure why they would keep it around really - the 2012 MacBook Pro still exists because it's the only laptop in the lineup with a DVD drive, Firewire and network port built in, plus it includes user-upgradeable RAM and a standard 2.5" hard drive. It's age makes it stick out like a sore thumb in Apple's lineup (along with the non-retina screen), but I can see a business/educational market still existing for it.

The Air on the other hand is being encroached on from both sides: The MacBook is lighter, thinner and more portable, and the MacBook Pro is shrinking in size. Complete speculation but I can see this year's MacBook Pro taking on a more Air-like form factor, with thermal limits of processors decreasing while performance isn't hugely improving year-on-year. At that point you'd have a thin, powerful, port-complete retina laptop in the Pro market segment, and the retina MacBook for the ultra-portable market. Maybe the Air will drop down to a super-cheap, entry level point?

I really thought they'd leave the Air untouched and then quietly retire it down the line, but I don't see why they'd give it the RAM bump today if that was the case.

Nah, that's exactly how Apple usually phases out a product. They give it a few more incremental upgrades/price drops and then they retire it. My guess is that the MacBook Air will be around until Apple feels they can sell the MacBook for $999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm thinking the rMb with the M7 upgrade on the 256/8gb is going to be my new notebook.