Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

resurgam40 posted:

He was indeed pro-life... but he was also pro-food, pro-clothing, pro-health and pro-education for said infants, so his anti-abortion stances do not bother me as much as other people's do. That's what I mean by the variation on what being saved means; the compassionate evangelicals may have been drowned out by their counterparts

I think this is all due to the prosperity gospel. If you're poor, it's cause you don't believe enough or try hard enough to not be poor, so it's your fault you can't afford to have a baby. Therefore you must have said baby cause obviously that's the best solution to teach you your lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I hate Saved!, mainly because it feels limp and half hearted in its satire. As someone who grew up in some evangelical hotspots, I think it really goes so easy on the worst offenses and, because it's all PG-13 with its irreverence, never has much bite to its jokes.

I also really hate movies that are satires of religion, but then chicken out at the end and go "I guess I don't really know what's up there, but it all happens for a reason I suppose, so there probably is a man in the sky." Why have any kind of existential point when you could just end on a wet fart?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Last Buffalo posted:

I hate Saved!, mainly because it feels limp and half hearted in its satire. As someone who grew up in some evangelical hotspots, I think it really goes so easy on the worst offenses and, because it's all PG-13 with its irreverence, never has much bite to its jokes.

I also really hate movies that are satires of religion, but then chicken out at the end and go "I guess I don't really know what's up there, but it all happens for a reason I suppose, so there probably is a man in the sky." Why have any kind of existential point when you could just end on a wet fart?

Well, satires of religion aren't always done to attack religion or uphold atheism; you can be religious and still point out the inconsistencies and boneheaded elements of faith while still being respectful to it. The point of Saved!, to me, doesn't seem to be "There must be a God somewhere", but rather "We should not be judgmental, arrogant pricks, God or not." Existentialism has many answers, yo.

But I certainly agree that they could have taken a bit more piss out of the more unsavory aspects of faith-based community, so I'm interested: is there some other movie that you would recommend that tried to do what Saved! does, and is more successful at it?

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Well, satires of religion aren't always done to attack religion or uphold atheism; you can be religious and still point out the inconsistencies and boneheaded elements of faith while still being respectful to it. The point of Saved!, to me, doesn't seem to be "There must be a God somewhere", but rather "We should not be judgmental, arrogant pricks, God or not." Existentialism has many answers, yo.

Yeah, but the whole point of the movie is that she's a devout believe that then starts questioning her faith. Nothing really divine happens, she becomes aware of a bunch of bigotry and hypocrisy among her fellow christians, but in the end, she just goes "welp." It doesn't really present any thought on the subject of faith, other than vague, focus-tested platitudes. It's a film that pitches itself as a biting acidic satire of evangelical circles, but pulls a ton of punches so I don't think it's a very good movie on the subject. The film has a tone that makes me think the people making it are not really religious at all, or ever had much of a big religious conviction. As a result, all the questions of faith their characters have are pretty skin-deep and not really funny in a way. Existentialism can have a lot of answers, but for a movie that starts with someone mistaking a pool cleaner for Jesus divinely inspiring them to gently caress the gay out of their boy friend, it sure loses interest in any jokes or thoughts about the whole "is the bible real or why do people believe this poo poo?" and goes down the easy path of joke like "isn't the popular hypocrite a total bitch." It ends up not being a movie about religion and more a generic teen comedy about a formerly popular girl who learns to appreciate the rad outcasts at her high school.

I don't know of a comedy about evangelicals or faith I particularly like. Dogma is not really funny to me, and I think it hasn't aged well. That said, the film The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ and the novels Silence and The Samurai are stories about christianity I particularly enjoy. I'm a Jew who grew up religious but is now a comfortable atheist for more than a decade, and I still find those very interesting meditations on faith and the story of Jesus.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Apparently even Christian movies are getting in on the post-credit sequel bait stinger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaYbm7kQdQ

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Womp womp

Gods not Dead 2 is a flop

Dropped from 4th to 7th

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godsnotdead2.htm

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Womp womp

Gods not Dead 2 is a flop

Dropped from 4th to 7th

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godsnotdead2.htm

14 mil against a 5 mil budget after two weeks though still isn't chump change. Give it a few more weeks and it'll fund another 3-4 PureFlix pictures.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

14 mil against a 5 mil budget after two weeks though still isn't chump change. Give it a few more weeks and it'll fund another 3-4 PureFlix pictures.

This is how Cannon Films were able to go on for as long as they did. Pureflix will not be going away as easily as that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently even Christian movies are getting in on the post-credit sequel bait stinger:

Christian movies + sovereign citizen movie equals great movie

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

This is how Cannon Films were able to go on for as long as they did. Pureflix will not be going away as easily as that.

If Pureflix would start producing Cannon level shlock with vague Christian themes, I would go see every film they made.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Guy Mann posted:

I hope it turns out to be a shared universe with Left Behind and/or Tribulations.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

PassTheRemote posted:

Easily? Cannon Films held on with that formula for far longer than they should have (Not saying I hate Cannon Films, saying that that business model should not have worked in a sane universe). Granted, PureFlix will probably only have life until David AR White is caught touching little boys.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

SNL did a Pure Flix spoof and it rules

http://youtu.be/tDDAa1If-u4

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Holy poo poo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If God is a boob man then why is coveting your neighbor's rear end one of the ten commandments, hmm?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The only problem with this is they used fight song instead of something super Christian.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One of stars of Gods Not Dead 2 is really upset about that SNL bit

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pat-boone-accuses-snl-anti-885253

quote:

“God has a sense of humor. Why else would he invent the porcupine and the giraffe?” Boone told The Hollywood Reporter on Monday. “Something can be devilishly funny, but this skit is diabolical. God has only one real enemy — Satan. Satan ridicules faith, and they’re taking Satan’s side. They’re also ridiculing me and the film, telling impressionable young people not to see it because it's ridiculous. Then they throw in that the lawyer is Jewish to make the Christian look even worse, but it’s just anti-Semitic.”

“This skit was outright sacrilege. They know if they did this to Muslims they’d have to be put into the witness protection program,” he said. “There’s nothing sacred at SNL — except maybe the words ‘Mohammad’ or ‘Allah.’ They’d never take those names in vain, but when they called God a ‘boob man,’ they took his name in vain.”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Porcupines and giraffes don't deserve your mocking appreciation, you heartless bitch :mad:

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Uh, that dude does realize that God's name isn't... you know, God? Or am I missing something :confused:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I like the rhetoric they use in the last paragraph to imply that SNL is part of some Muslim hive-mind bent on taking over the media.

Or maybe they have something better to do than pick on 1% or so of the United States population that already gets nothing but poo poo from everyone else.

A lot of people talk about how sensitive outspoken/minority groups are but I love stuff like this because it shows that the most sensitive, easily-offended group of people in the US are white Christians by a longshot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Electric Lady posted:

I like the rhetoric they use in the last paragraph to imply that SNL is part of some Muslim hive-mind bent on taking over the media.

Or maybe they have something better to do than pick on 1% or so of the United States population that already gets nothing but poo poo from everyone else.

A lot of people talk about how sensitive outspoken/minority groups are but I love stuff like this because it shows that the most sensitive, easily-offended group of people in the US are white Christians by a longshot.

Also Saturday Night Live is anti Semitic as its well known that comedians hate Jewish people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr Jaunts posted:

Uh, that dude does realize that God's name isn't... you know, God? Or am I missing something :confused:

The third commandment has been interpreted differently by different sects of Christianity, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with God's literal name. Many protestants have interpreted that commandment to mean that the phrases "God drat it," and "gosh darn it" are equally in violation, because regardless of how the latter doesn't use the "real" name of God, it's still referring to Him. Some protestants even argue that "God drat it" is actually less sacrilegious, since it could be a honest appeal to God to bring down his judgement, while using "gosh" is inherently insincere.

One interpretation of the third commandment, and the one that I believe Pat Boone is using, is that you shouldn't claim God has said something that He hasn't, or use his name to give yourself authority. For example, if I told my boss that God said to give me a raise, I'd be taking His name in vain. A chain letter that promises that God would bless you if you sent copies to ten friends would also be an example. If SNL had actually claimed that God was a boob man, then they would have taken His name in vain (according to that interpretation).

There are two problems with that, though. For one, SNL was not claiming to speak for God, or trying to convince you that God was a boob man. SNL wasn't using God's name as a tool to push their "pro boobs" agenda. While they were arguable insufficiently reverent, they were not actually taking His name in vain. The second is that, by that interpretation, God's Not Dead actually does take His name in vain, since it did use God's name to lend authority to their agenda.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 19, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

One of stars of Gods Not Dead 2 is really upset about that SNL bit

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pat-boone-accuses-snl-anti-885253

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUUB96c6EpY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm impressed that this thread is still going strong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

David AR White's star continues to rise. And we haven't even touched the films he made as a teen evangelical heartthrob.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/GodsNotDeadFilm/status/722470412664336384?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

At this point almost a month has passed and GND2 is now in 10th place and topping off at around 18 million total by the time it stops running

GND grossed 60 million

Why didn't Christians flock to this one?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 20, 2016

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://mobile.twitter.com/GodsNotDeadFilm/status/722470412664336384?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

At this point almost a month has passed and GND2 is now in 10th place and topping off at around 18 million total by the time it stops running

GND grossed 60 million

My optimistic side likes to think that the people who saw the first movie remember how bad it was and have no desire to see the second one.

That and now the target audience has moved on from Duck Dynasty and has the upcoming election to occupy their time and attention and outrage instead of making a statement by buying a movie ticket.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pat Boone is famous entirely because he was the nice, clean white boy of rock and roll. He didn't understand Tutti Frutti, but since he was the safe alternative, his version ascended higher on the charts. He also wrote this fantastically cheesy book called Twist Twelve and Twenty that seems to show some obsession with spanking.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Pat Boone is famous entirely because he was the nice, clean white boy of rock and roll. He didn't understand Tutti Frutti, but since he was the safe alternative, his version ascended higher on the charts. He also wrote this fantastically cheesy book called Twist Twelve and Twenty that seems to show some obsession with spanking.

Wow, this is the whitest music ever. Like, if you were to distill whiteness into music, this is what you would get. This is the musical equivalent of the suburban dad who's idea of letting loose on a Saturday evening is cracking open a coke and watching a PG rated film where they might use some vulgarity and maybe some suggestive themes. There's a hint of wildness, but it's restrained and kept entirely in check.

It's just so tame, it's bizarre. I've never heard Pat Boone sing before this, and now, I can say I know why. I'm digging into some of his other catalogs, and yeah. It's like he's crossing rock with crooning, but he just saps every song of its energy, until what is left is this weird shriveled husk of a song that hints at rock but just sounds wrong.

Please, someone tell me that they burned the master tapes and buried the records. I don't want future civilizations hearing this.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wow, this is the whitest music ever.

Mmm, let's agree to disagree....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNVdlXhKcI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wow, this is the whitest music ever. Like, if you were to distill whiteness into music, this is what you would get. This is the musical equivalent of the suburban dad who's idea of letting loose on a Saturday evening is cracking open a coke and watching a PG rated film where they might use some vulgarity and maybe some suggestive themes. There's a hint of wildness, but it's restrained and kept entirely in check.

It's just so tame, it's bizarre. I've never heard Pat Boone sing before this, and now, I can say I know why. I'm digging into some of his other catalogs, and yeah. It's like he's crossing rock with crooning, but he just saps every song of its energy, until what is left is this weird shriveled husk of a song that hints at rock but just sounds wrong.

Please, someone tell me that they burned the master tapes and buried the records. I don't want future civilizations hearing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pUF0Yn7YpE

We've come so far.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RC and Moon Pie posted:

No one remembers this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlt6POm-lc

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Ah, I see, thanks for the info.

I'm completely serious when I say this might be the worst thing I've ever heard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr Jaunts posted:

I'm completely serious when I say this might be the worst thing I've ever heard.
No way, this owns.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Superman tried to save us from Pat Boone's music

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDw-Ebc244

It feels like it should be part of a PG version of predator.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

GND grossed 60 million

My understanding is that a majority of GND's earnings were from people "spreading the word" that holy gently caress this movie is batshit, you gotta go see it.

Jack Gladney posted:

David AR White's star continues to rise. And we haven't even touched the films he made as a teen evangelical heartthrob.

"Hey, Scotty!

Jesus man!"

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Guy Mann posted:

This was telecasted the whole movie. If they didn't put it in there everyone still would know that the third one is coming and that's the subject.

They're getting better with these movies... as an "Evangelical" by any standard I still have to roll my eyes at some points though. Blatant pandering with things like Huckabee in there and needless appearances by other people that non-Christians would have no clue who they are, like Lee Strobel. You can be obvious and not cliche with the plot points. Knowing the absurdity of the "Evangelical" culture sometimes I'd love to ask the directors what there intent is, because no non-believer is going to enjoy or accidentally stumble upon these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
The thing with these movies that drives me loving bonkers is how Christians are portrayed as some kind of oppressed minority because people want a clear separation of Church and State. Christians have not been an oppressed minority since the Roman Empire stopped feeding them to the lions.

Alternatively, they're being made as a result of atheists like Richard Dawkins screaming how dumb they are for having faith. I dunno.

• Locked thread