Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The PCs put forward a motion which was amended by the government immediately thereafter before it could be debated in any way. The motion would have been planned in advance so government had a chance to draw up plans to amend it in advance which they did and had the speaker (also government) approve it and had amended motions printed and distributed in advance.

It's a dumb motion but it was pretty lovely of the government to do what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

The PCs put forward a motion which was amended by the government immediately thereafter before it could be debated in any way. The motion would have been planned in advance so government had a chance to draw up plans to amend it in advance which they did and had the speaker (also government) approve it and had amended motions printed and distributed in advance.

It's a dumb motion but it was pretty lovely of the government to do what they did.

It's an actively harmful motion, as it's about advancing the role of charter schools, private schools and home schooling, all of which are bad things, so I'm okay with some NDP trickery in this case. Also, reacting to it by throwing a tantrum would be ridiculous even considering his complaint may be valid.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's been fascinating watching extremely politically advanced masterminds scramble to be as anti-PT6A as possible that they're supporting a lenient punishment for a man who raped a little girl and then beat her unconscious to the point of brain damage and left her to freeze naked in the snow.

Ikantski posted:

Certainly gives an insight to the thousands of other missing and murdered indigenous women. The inquiry is definitely worth the millions if they can find some kind of solution to these regular tragedies.

Considering that many of the crimes against indigenous women are committed by indigenous men, it seems it would be extremely problematic and oppressive to investigate these crimes.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Brannock posted:

It's been fascinating watching extremely politically advanced masterminds scramble to be as anti-PT6A as possible that they're supporting a lenient punishment for a man who raped a little girl and then beat her unconscious to the point of brain damage and left her to freeze naked in the snow.
Function of the justice system is not to punish.

quote:

Canadian Criminal Code posted:
Purpose and Principles of Sentencing

Purpose

718 The fundamental purpose of sentencing is to protect society and to contribute, along with crime prevention initiatives, to respect for the law and the maintenance of a just, peaceful and safe society by imposing just sanctions that have one or more of the following objectives:

(a) to denounce unlawful conduct and the harm done to victims or to the community that is caused by unlawful conduct;

(b) to deter the offender and other persons from committing offences;

(c) to separate offenders from society, where necessary;

(d) to assist in rehabilitating offenders;

(e) to provide reparations for harm done to victims or to the community; and

(f) to promote a sense of responsibility in offenders, and acknowledgment of the harm done to victims or to the community.

Objectives — offences against children

718.01 When a court imposes a sentence for an offence that involved the abuse of a person under the age of eighteen years, it shall give primary consideration to the objectives of denunciation and deterrence of such conduct.

Marginal note:Fundamental principle

718.1 A sentence must be proportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree of responsibility of the offender.
Deterrence is not the same as punishment. Sentences are handed out to declare crimes as intolerable and such sentences are therefore used to deter the offender and others from committing such a crime again in the future.

Obviously deterrence doesn't work in my opinion in cases like this but that's the code.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 19, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

I'd actually go with none of the above. All along, he's appealed to dumb shortsighted people with his tactics as opposition leader and premiership candidate, and selling off a crown corp is easy even for dummies to figure out so he'll probably steer clear. I think instead he's going to gut education and healthcare instead, mostly in ways people won't understand because they'd have to do math and poo poo to figure it out. If he gets a second mandate, then he'll start pillaging crown corps.

I'm so disappointed in Selinger that next time around, I seriously doubt if I can vote for anybody in the MB NDP unless there isn't a single motherfucker running as candidate who ever sat with him running next time around (with the exceptions of the ones who rebelled or bailed out obviously).

I'm actually giddy with the idea that Drew Caldwell might lose his seat

Dude hosed up a cabinet position so bad they took it away from him, he's an idiot, an embarrassment to the party and the holder of what is essentially a dynastic NDP seat that's been there for 30 years.

E: meanwhile I'm watching to see if Pallister gives the other MLA a cabinet position, if he doesn't I'm guessing this government will be poo poo from the get-go (Minister of Agriculture please :D)

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 19, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Brannock posted:

Considering that many of the crimes against indigenous women are committed by indigenous men, it seems it would be extremely problematic and oppressive to investigate these crimes.

Holy poo poo, why would we even do an inquiry? You unlocked the mystery that has eluded us for years! Let's just shovel some more money into the system and let the indigenous people just figure it out themselves. *pats back*

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/722446182971154432

lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

The number seems alarming, but they likely went from investigating nothing to investigating a couple cases.

Now HERE is a real story

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-political-party-fundraising-largest-donors-1.3540674

IN DEPTH
Ontario's biggest political donors revealed
2 construction unions, landlord group have given parties more than $300K in past 3 years

Why the federal legislation that prevented such donations didn't 'trickle down' to encompass provincial politics is absolutely astonishing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Politics gets more corrupt the smaller scale it is. An MP gets a lot of attention, a treasurer in some bumfuck town gets none and can run a con for decades.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy poo poo, why would we even do an inquiry? You unlocked the mystery that has eluded us for years! Let's just shovel some more money into the system and let the indigenous people just figure it out themselves. *pats back*

I agree, the white Canadian devil should have absolutely nothing to do with the First Nations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

cowofwar posted:

Politics gets more corrupt the smaller scale it is. An MP gets a lot of attention, a treasurer in some bumfuck town gets none and can run a con for decades.

Yep!

The gold standard here is probably Rita Crundwell, who swindled the town in Illinois she worked for out of $54 million over 22 years. That's nearly five years' worth of their entire municipal budget (uncompensated for inflation). She spent the money on quarter horse breeding and, after pleading guilty, was sentenced to nearly 20 years in jail. For double irony, it was apparently Reagan's childhood home.

https://www.cpa2biz.com/Content/media/PRODUCER_CONTENT/Newsletters/Articles_2013/ForensicValuation/54-million-dollar-fraud.jsp

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Turns out that we do now have a case of Uber failing to defend one of its drivers using its much-touted automatic insurance policy:

http://stlawyers.ca/uber-insurance/

So, that's that I guess. Uber is a very lovely company after all, I don't think I'll be using them any more.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

David Corbett posted:

For double irony, it was apparently Reagan's childhood home.

Pffft ... surely some of that $54 million would trickle down anyway.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
maybe those natives just need some more education of some sort

maybe through some sort of government sponsored religious school

lol

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
In Montreal, there's been a newcomer in the taxi scene. Teo Taxi basically uses only electric vehicles, they have a smartphone app like Uber's, their drivers are paid a fair wage, wear a uniform and are courteous. No talking on the phone, no driving like a maniac for their next fare. The cars themselves have wi-fi, are always spotless and apparently they're planning to roll out touch screens for the passengers. And unlike Uber, they do have insurance and they comply to the local taxi license scheme (by renting them). Despite all of these horribly expensive measures that Uber just couldn't possibly afford, it turns out that they're actually breaking even!

You can compete and innovate without acting a bag of dicks, yeah.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jan posted:

You cannot however generate a growth story for VC investors that values you greater than the entire world-wide livery market, as Uber have done.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jan posted:

In Montreal, there's been a newcomer in the taxi scene. Teo Taxi basically uses only electric vehicles, they have a smartphone app like Uber's, their drivers are paid a fair wage, wear a uniform and are courteous. No talking on the phone, no driving like a maniac for their next fare. The cars themselves have wi-fi, are always spotless and apparently they're planning to roll out touch screens for the passengers. And unlike Uber, they do have insurance and they comply to the local taxi license scheme (by renting them). Despite all of these horribly expensive measures that Uber just couldn't possibly afford, it turns out that they're actually breaking even!

Nice, I'll have to check that out when I'm in Montreal in June.

Supposedly the opening of the market in Calgary is going to encourage more companies to come here, but so far no one's actually done so (EDIT: The existing companies have dropped their prices across the board, though, which is cool and good). We should get this taxi company to set up shop, because they wouldn't even have to lease taxi licenses any more. Does the app handle payment as well? That's the one thing that's missing from all the taxi company apps in Calgary.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Brannock posted:

Who actually cares though

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Brannock posted:

I agree, the white Canadian devil should have absolutely nothing to do with the First Nations.

The Canadian Government has always been fair and completely impartial with the indigenous community throughout history.

PT6A posted:

Turns out that we do now have a case of Uber failing to defend one of its drivers using its much-touted automatic insurance policy:

So, that's that I guess. Uber is a very lovely company after all, I don't think I'll be using them any more.

Uber drivers don't need Taxi insurance, Uber provides unlimited insurance for all!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PT6A posted:

I am in no way defending Uber, but according to the article, Uber ('s insurer) has had at most since March 22nd to respond, and they haven't actually rejected the claim. They just haven't provided any response to it yet (as of April 15).

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

I'm getting a bullshit vibe from that.

a) Ottawa taxi drivers are super salty after council voted to create dual licensing last week (http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/live-council-votes-on-bylaw-changes-that-would-make-uber-legal).
b) In January, his passenger's lawyer called him to tell him they'd be suing (do lawyers call people for that? I always get registered letters whenever people want to sue me.)
c) Now in April, "More specifically, we asked if they would defend Kirit if and when a lawsuit by his passenger is started." Of course Uber isn't responding because there is no lawsuit.

All this to say that Uber may be bad but my opinion of Ottawa cabbies is far lower.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 19, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

I am in no way defending Uber, but according to the article, Uber ('s insurer) has had at most since March 22nd to respond, and they haven't actually rejected the claim. They just haven't provided any response to it yet (as of April 15).

Would you expect anything less than a knee-jerk response from PT6A, even when it's the version of events as told by the defendant's legal counsel?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ikantski posted:

c) Now in April, "More specifically, we asked if they would defend Kirit if and when a lawsuit by his passenger is started." Of course Uber isn't responding because there is no lawsuit.
The insurer would be responding well in advance of a lawsuit being filed, they would want to appoint an adjuster ASAP and properly set reserves for the claim. That said, they would only do so if there's potential for a lawsuit, i.e. they have at least a duty to defend.

Expecting an answer in less than 30 days from an insurance company, especially for a claim where they will want to obtain a coverage opinion, is something any lawyer with any experience in that industry would know to be utter fantasy.

blah_blah posted:

Would you expect anything less than a knee-jerk response from PT6A, even when it's the version of events as told by the defendant's legal counsel?
In fairness is he knee-jerk responding to a lawyer who appears to be alarmist almost to the point of professional ethics violation(s).

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

Nice, I'll have to check that out when I'm in Montreal in June.

Supposedly the opening of the market in Calgary is going to encourage more companies to come here, but so far no one's actually done so (EDIT: The existing companies have dropped their prices across the board, though, which is cool and good). We should get this taxi company to set up shop, because they wouldn't even have to lease taxi licenses any more. Does the app handle payment as well? That's the one thing that's missing from all the taxi company apps in Calgary.

Checker Yellow and Mayfair will be getting in app payment soon.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

David Corbett posted:

Yep!

The gold standard here is probably Rita Crundwell, who swindled the town in Illinois she worked for out of $54 million over 22 years. That's nearly five years' worth of their entire municipal budget (uncompensated for inflation). She spent the money on quarter horse breeding and, after pleading guilty, was sentenced to nearly 20 years in jail. For double irony, it was apparently Reagan's childhood home.

https://www.cpa2biz.com/Content/media/PRODUCER_CONTENT/Newsletters/Articles_2013/ForensicValuation/54-million-dollar-fraud.jsp

Quarter horses?? Sweet animals, but over-hyped and look like bulldogs on hooves. Not the breed I'd choose to risk jail for.

All horse people are "special". I'm in awe of how much of an outlier this woman was.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Normy posted:

Checker Yellow and Mayfair will be getting in app payment soon.

Good. I like Checker. Associated can go eat a bag of assholes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

Doesn't Uber barely make profit?

If you're charging taxi rates you're not competing with Uber, you're competing with taxis.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
AFAIK Uber is, has been, and will continue to be unprofitable. Whether the UberX, UberBlack, and UberTaxi services are break-even themselves, fighting lawsuits on six contents isn't. Not to mention things like UberHop and UberWAV, which are competing with bus service, and have expensive accessibility requirements (At UberX fares) respectively are guaranteed money losers.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
yeah Uber is essentially trying to pull a wallmart and bust in with rates that they lose money on until they are the only game in town, then presumably pivot to driverless cars and higher fares. I'm glad that this is likely to fail, but has prompted updates like apps for taxi companies and loosening of some of the regulatory capture that had infested the industry. who knows how it'll all play out though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A private member's bill in Queen's Park to undo the dog breed ban is picking up steam

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-mpps-support-end-to-pit-bull-ban-1.1167153

Ontario's prohibition on pit bulls is unreasonable, unworkable and unfair, members of all parties in the legislature said Thursday as they passed a private member's bill urging the Liberals to lift the breed-specific ban.

Progressive Conservative Randy Hillier, who owns two dogs he said could be seized and destroyed under the Dog Owner's Liability Act, said the ban was introduced because of what he called a very few high profile dog attacks, mostly in the Toronto area. "It was clear to everyone that the government of the day felt significant pressure to be seen to be doing something regardless if it was doing the right thing," Hillier told the legislature.

"Good public policy is driven by the interests of our constituents, by science and by evidence, not by media hysteria, nor bold headlines and slogans."

There aren't t any new data or magical revelations that have inspired these proposed changes to the DOLA. Just the knowledge that it was a stupid idea then and that the nature of its stupid really hasn't changed in the last decade.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

yeah Uber is essentially trying to pull a wallmart and bust in with rates that they lose money on until they are the only game in town, then presumably pivot to driverless cars and higher fares. I'm glad that this is likely to fail, but has prompted updates like apps for taxi companies and loosening of some of the regulatory capture that had infested the industry. who knows how it'll all play out though

Yeah, although I'm skeptical of the city council's behavior in Calgary, the fact is we're getting looser restrictions on taxis, lower prices, and apps. This is a good direction, but it's unfortunate it had to take so long and require such a threat to the status quo before they moved on it.

Edit: I like my new title, thanks to whoever bought it. Notley Crue was getting a bit dated.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

flakeloaf posted:

A private member's bill in Queen's Park to undo the dog breed ban is picking up steam

Picking up steam... in 2012! :nallears:

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I'd be OK with more breed bans targeting the genetic dead end breeds that are born into a life of suffering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flakeloaf posted:

There aren't t any new data or magical revelations that have inspired these proposed changes to the DOLA. Just the knowledge that it was a stupid idea then and that the nature of its stupid really hasn't changed in the last decade.

Did anything happen in the four years since that article was published?

e:f;b

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

more like dICK posted:

I'd be OK with more breed bans targeting the genetic dead end breeds that are born into a life of suffering.

Same here, I'd ban huskies and beagles and basically everything that isn't a lab. And ferrets. Just to annoy the type of people who own ferrets.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

more like dICK posted:

So basically all purebreds? I'd be okay with that too actually.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ikantski posted:

Same here, I'd ban huskies and beagles and basically everything that isn't a lab. And ferrets. Just to annoy the type of people who own ferrets.

I know a guy with a husky/lab/golden mutt and she's such a great dog. Mutts are the best.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

PT6A posted:

So basically all purebreds? I'd be okay with that too actually.

Pretty much.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

Did anything happen in the four years since that article was published?

e:f;b

Oh gently caress me. It bubbled to the top of my newsfeed and I thought something useful was about to happen.

I like this.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
A ban on cats would actually be more beneficial than any dog breed as they kill so many native animals. And if you've ever been in a house of someone who owns a cat you know how disgusting their place smells because of cat piss.