Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Seriously though, all of these detachments and formations and datasheets are confusing as gently caress even for veteran players and it's just not the right way to build a ruleset. GW is out of their minds with this poo poo and I hope the next edition wipes the slate clean but the chances of that happening are approximately zero. There's like a 90% chance that it'll be Age of the Emperor. 10% chance that the convoluted bullshit stays the same or gets even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are people seriously defending the 'free rapid fire ID gun dude for only $30' ITT?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Anyone who rolls with a Knight list and thinks people should treat them like a 'normal' list and are unreasonable for differentiaring can gently caress right off as they're everything wrong with this hobby. Run Knights, but dont get mad if people don't want to play you.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like the formation and the flexibility, for one thing it's given us back 'Stealer Cults. But yeah, the implementation does resemble the product of a design strategy written on cardboard by a hobo in a bin.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Phyresis posted:

Seriously though, all of these detachments and formations and datasheets are confusing as gently caress even for veteran players and it's just not the right way to build a ruleset. GW is out of their minds with this poo poo and I hope the next edition wipes the slate clean but the chances of that happening are approximately zero. There's like a 90% chance that it'll be Age of the Emperor. 10% chance that the convoluted bullshit stays the same or gets even worse.

It totally needs a teardown and rewrite, but I don't trust GW to do it. They had their chance with AoS and blew it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Well let me put on my optimist/delusional/apologist hat real quick... maybe they just punted on Age of Sigmar so that they could focus on the game that actually makes them money? Maybe they wanted to discontinue Fantasy altogether but this compromise lets them extract value out of their remaining stock while trickling out new models that some people inexplicably purchase.

HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TKIY posted:

Are people seriously defending the 'free rapid fire ID gun dude for only $30' ITT?

It was a 30th anniversary model available in limited numbers for one day. I genuinely don't care. I would care about someone using the rules without the model.

Mine will arrive in the post tomorrow.

Lord Twisted posted:

Anyone who rolls with a Knight list and thinks people should treat them like a 'normal' list and are unreasonable for differentiaring can gently caress right off as they're everything wrong with this hobby. Run Knights, but dont get mad if people don't want to play you.

There's a slight difference between individuals preferring not to fight that army and saying "these are the new rules, you're excluded."

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 19, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Nice meltadown, everyone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You want to see a meltdown? You want a loving meltdown?

*leaves Finecast in a car*

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I peeked in the fantasy thread rq and it's pretty funny stuff.

Spearchukkas should be stronger the blacker they are, what do you mean that's racist???

Poor richyp:

richyp posted:

Serious-post:

Having not looked a Fantasy rulebook since the Island of Blood book, these warscrolls/rule things confuse me. Are there no points costs any more, if not how are you actually supposed to put together a force? I thought people were joking when they said bring whatever but I guess that's true.

Also why are there "Keywords" sections at the bottom of each page, it's like they've tagged a blogpost but forgot you can't actually click on paper.

pre:
Keywords: Confused, Fantasy, Warscrolls, WTF, Buy KoW

lilljonas posted:

Ok. Sit down, take a deep breath, and listen.

You and your opponent place models on the table. If you choose to stop placing models, your opponent can continue. If your opponent places far more models than you did, you get an alternative victory condition, where you can win by killing his general. Note that it's only the number of models that counts, nothing else.

There. That's how you put together your force in AoS. No points, no limits, just "lol enjoy trying to kill me general on a dragon standing in a corner, when my army of monsters that outnumber you 3-to-1 charges at your puny skaven".

Yeah man that's how we all felt. Like we thought something was missing. Nope, that's how it is. The mind boggles.

Elfface posted:

Don't forget that if you're massively outnumbered you can also choose to have a single unit survive until the end for victory. Like the ones that can bury themselves for most of the game.

Or for maximum air-bud 'There's no rule that says a terrain feature can't be my general. It's got a warscroll."

My friends who play tell me that you're not actually supposed to model-for-model it, or use the pitched battle rules which make up two of the four pages of rules. (These same friends tell me how amazing it is that the four pages can be printed in all the army books, to make it easier).

Instead of the pitched battle rules, you play a scenario. Easily available as an in-app purchase of £12.99 for eight Battleplans, 3 warscroll batallions and 3 Time of War rules.

Instead of headcount, you go by wound counts.

But don't worry, there's a fix for the whole 'Three goblins vs one of those orcs' thing.

If the unit size starts at 5, then it's 1:1 wounds. If it starts at 10 then you use a different ratio, same if the size starts at 15 or 20.

This is better than points, because points never really worked in the first place, because some things were always more effective than others but cost less points. Pay no attemtion to pretty much every other wargame in existence that playtests units and balances their points costs.

Holy loly, I forgot about the burrowing things. This whole quote is hilarious though.

Not making fun of you Fantasy guys at all, this whole situation is the essence of tragicomedy.

Are you guys excited to see GW's vision for the future of 40k? I know I am!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's already happening to 40k. That's what these masssive formation releases with free units attached are leading too.

Anyway, I broke on 40k back during NOVA when I realized I couldn't keep up with the ridiculous new releases and that in order to be competitive you MUST invest into constantly updating the army. That's what it takes to win tournaments, actual money investment. It's not about playing well anymore, it's about being the most up-to-date and finding the most ridiculous combination/loophole and dialing that to 11.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E: Inexplicable DP

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I do like that GW really embraced "Do whatever you want! Have fun! Bring your whole army to the table if that sounds like a cool thing! Ignore the rules if you want!" in the book, because I'm more about having fun and drinking beer than being super competitive, and if you're playing with a buddy then by all means you should invent your own scenarios and try out really wacky unbound army lists and stuff.

But they kinda tossed the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to balance, its like they really just threw their hands up and said "gently caress it, poo poo's too complicated"

Like, Fantasy getting rid of points isn't because lists without points are somehow more balanced, its just GW sucks at trying to find the appropriate points cost for balance and simply doesn't care anymore.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

You want to see a meltdown? You want a loving meltdown?

*leaves Finecast in a car*

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 19, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Boon posted:

It's already happening to 40k. That's what these masssive formation releases with free units attached are leading too.

Anyway, I broke on 40k back during NOVA when I realized I couldn't keep up with the ridiculous new releases and that in order to be competitive you MUST invest into constantly updating the army. That's what it takes to win tournaments, actual money investment. It's not about playing well anymore, it's about being the most up-to-date and finding the most ridiculous combination/loophole and dialing that to 11.

You realize the constant model churn had been going on since, I dunno, forever? Every time a new codex comes out regardless of Formations people find the best thing and buy for it for tournaments. It's a given that people with more money than sense do this, as they do it in every other game too. It's not that strategy and skill don't play into it--I spent exactly $0 on models for my GT this year and had a solid record at the end. Formations may have accelerated it a bit but it's always been there and likely will be in just about every game with army updates.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PierreTheMime posted:

You realize the constant model churn had been going on since, I dunno, forever? Every time a new codex comes out regardless of Formations people find the best thing and buy for it for tournaments. It's a given that people with more money than sense do this, as they do it in every other game too. It's not that strategy and skill don't play into it--I spent exactly $0 on models for my GT this year and had a solid record at the end. Formations may have accelerated it a bit but it's always been there and likely will be in just about every game with army updates.

nice meltadown

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I liked formations when it was the apoc ones and you bought the units and paid some points to make them their formation. That was cool.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

i bought a whole new army to best general a gt what now fight me

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Phyresis posted:

I peeked in the fantasy thread rq and it's pretty funny stuff.
Poor richyp:

richyp posted:

:words:
pre:
Buy KoW
Not making fun of you Fantasy guys at all, this whole situation is the essence of tragicomedy.

Never really played Fantasy just bought the box for some Elves to paint (it was cheaper than buying the separate models I think) a few years ago. I was seeing if anyone would come to defend AoS.

quote:

Are you guys excited to see GW's vision for the future of 40k? I know I am!

The future of 40k is 30k isn't it? i.e. remove all those pesky non-marines from the game.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Sure, you they CALL Imperial Knights their own faction, but we know the truth. They're a single unit. They treat different wargear options as if they were different unit types, then put them into a book. The new renegade knights showed you could do that entire book on one page.

So Oldhammer is just removing a few units rather than one whole faction if you ask me. :v:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Remove Nids imo. Put them out of their misery

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
7th is pretty great other than some missions being broken turds and the gobs and gobs of formations, detachments and other DLC detritus.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I realize that people who know all the latest rules and have the latest stuff will have a slight edge (if their opponent is unfamiliar). I also realize that it's always been like this and that 40k was never balanced. However, it's the scope of it now. The disparity is huge and the amount of time and money investment necessary is unprecedented if you want to be a top player. The meta, so to speak, is unlike it's ever been.

Let's look at this for example. Can an Ork army, even with a new and powerful codex, ever be expected to compete in a tournament setting where the 'Imperial faction' has and can do anything it wants with no real weaknesses to speak of simply because of the vast combinations it's capable of? The guy that won the Adepticon GT - he had what, 5 flavors of SM? Can Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, etc... ever be realistically expected to be able to combat that?

Honestly, if I had to pick out hte singular problem with 40k, it's the massive growth of the 'Imperial Faction'

I think it's more the idea of a special snowflake model with game changing ability that everyone and their brother will convert and use the rules for with no equivalent for other factions just because
VVV

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 19, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I like formations. Obviously you've got the stupid overpowered ones, but I really like the ones that let you do neat things (Retaliation Cadre for instance, paradropping Battlesuits is really appealing to me. Or weird thematic ones like the Electro-Priest formation in Cult Mech).

I just hope GW realises to tone it down a bit, go for the more thematic formations over the "lol free poo poo everywhere ones"

(Also, still don't see the fuss about the Anniversary Marine. It's one gun on a regular Marine. Maybe should have had a small points cost, still not the biggest threat in the world.)

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Such is the power of the Emperor of Mankind. Bask in His glory and repent, for His justice is swift and merciful.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Battle brothers means you fight next to each other against shared enemies. Genestealer cults don't convince space marines to fight along side 'nids, they just show up as a scouting party and create a psychic beacon to tell the rest of the fleet "there's food over here". Don't see how that would possibly count as battle brothers.

I could see Genestealer Cults being a unique faction which is battle brothers to both Imperium and Tyranids, as they could try to remain disguised among some Guard or whatever, but it should have to be one or the other. So you could take Tyranids + Genestealers or you could take Guard + Genestealers, I could see that. But Tyranids themselves should definitely not be battle brothers with any other faction. (Although even then, its not like the Primarch is gonna be hanging out in the trenches with Guard troopers, so that alone is a stretch)

The real Tyranids do not know the meaning of allies, they only know hunger.

Genestealer cults inject Tyranid DNA in people and make them work towards Tyranid ends. I've read books where they did it to humans, Tau and Space Marines, presumably they could do it to Orks and Eldar too.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wait 30k doesnt have Tau right?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Boon posted:

Let's look at this for example. Can an Ork army, even with a new and powerful codex, ever be expected to compete in a tournament setting where the 'Imperial faction' has and can do anything it wants with no real weaknesses to speak of simply because of the vast combinations it's capable of? The guy that won the Adepticon GT - he had what, 5 flavors of SM? Can Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, etc... ever be realistically expected to be able to combat that?

At the Flying Monkey GT this last weekend, there were only two Imperium armies in the top ten (9 and 10). Orks came in at #6.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/197uoIYJvSVb9Hv8RGzEy9NwwrhvLXWVA_XSpNNV1g4A/edit#gid=0

edit: Necrons at #5 and #8

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Phyresis posted:

Such is the power of the Emperor of Mankind. Bask in His glory and repent, for His justice is swift and merciful.

you seriously got some bug in your rear end huh?

Anyway, how are The Eldar Prism tanks? I like they way they look and wonder if they are useful.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Here's 500 more pictures from the Flying Monkey GT courtesy of our TO, Troy. From Friday Night's Beerhammer through Saturday Night's Painting Competitions.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wchi2Keyt2Um91aHF0REk5UUU&usp=sharing

Not sure where Sunday's pictures and awards are. I'll poke around.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Hihohe posted:

you seriously got some bug in your rear end huh?

Begone, foul heretic. Your words have no power here. My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. IN THE EMPEROR'S NAME, LET NONE SURVIVE.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Your sickness has but one cure, and I shall deliver it. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boom boom boom posted:

Genestealer cults inject Tyranid DNA in people and make them work towards Tyranid ends. I've read books where they did it to humans, Tau and Space Marines, presumably they could do it to Orks and Eldar too.

Sorta, but those people would then become part of the genestealer cult. Ghosar Quintus already has lots of first-generation mostly-human genestealers; those are what you're talking about.

No part of that means that a Hive Tyrant would fight alongside a Space Marine Captain, ever. Under any circumstance pretty much.

It'd be pretty sweet if they put out some Tau or Eldar genestealer models, but that's not the same thing as making them full battle brothers as factions. I wouldn't mind Genestealers getting their own full sub-codex even. And like I said, genestealers could be allied with the Imperium, that's cool. But Tyranids overall shouldn't be allied with anybody.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hihohe posted:

Anyway, how are The Eldar Prism tanks? I like they way they look and wonder if they are useful.

They're cool. Like the other good parts of the Eldar codex, they're fun to play without being egregiously overpowered or too weak to be worth while.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Jack posted:

At the Flying Monkey GT this last weekend, there were only two Imperium armies in the top ten (9 and 10). Orks came in at #6.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/197uoIYJvSVb9Hv8RGzEy9NwwrhvLXWVA_XSpNNV1g4A/edit#gid=0

edit: Necrons at #5 and #8

Wait, are you anecdotally disputing me on this one? Look at the results across the board - Adepticon, LVO, and NOVA, and whatever else you want to look at.

Dominated by SM of any flavor, then Eldar, then a couple of Daemon, Necron, Tyranids and Tau. Necrons are a powerful army, but they aren't very flexible in comparison to Imperial or Eldar armies. Tyranids have one build and one build only that's seen over and over (flying Hive Tyrant with that FW shrouded guy and some spores for non-troop troops).

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ACCEPT OUR DOMINION. REAP OUR MALEDICTION. WELCOME TO OBLIVION.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Boon posted:

Wait, are you anecdotally disputing me on this one? Look at the results across the board - Adepticon, LVO, and NOVA, and whatever else you want to look at.

Dominated by SM of any flavor, then Eldar, then a couple of Daemon, Necron, Tyranids and Tau. Necrons are a powerful army, but they aren't very flexible in comparison to Imperial or Eldar armies. Tyranids have one build and one build only that's seen over and over (flying Hive Tyrant with that FW shrouded guy and some spores for non-troop troops).

I'm saying not a lot of people brought Space Marines to this GT, and the meta was really weird. I'm saying that taking SM is not an auto-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
7th Edition is an incomprehensible mess that rewards unhealthy buying habits in pursuit of profit at the expense of the company's long-term health.

• Locked thread