Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There was, at least in part, a more emotive reason for large scale strategic bombing of civilians, at least by the RAF. While all sorts of justifications were drawn up by Bomber Command to explain "de-housing" even Churchill thought it was bombing "simply for the sake of increasing terror". In terms of sheer efficiency for military reasons, there'll always be a debate, but in terms of efficiently killing 20,000 people and ending the city of Dresden, ten (I think) Lancasters doesn't seem that much of a price to pay.

Harris made the psychological, if not strategic, justification clear:

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put that rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Vengeance. Whatever the strategic reason, that motivation was there.

Edit: there's a lesson here in not keeping tabs open for hours

lenoon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

This link from the wiki is pretty amazing - small cartoons with notes about the process.
http://kiuchi.jpn.org/en/nobindex.htm

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

bewbies posted:

The biggest issue with the B-36 delay was its engines...the rest of the thing (outside of the gun turrets) was actually pretty conventional, and while complex it wasn't anything much past the B-29. The engines though weren't really in a useable state until well into 1945, and I think the first B-36 prototypes didn't even use the Wasp Majors, this in 1947. I have no idea if that could have been accelerated had the mission the B-36 was designed for (bombing Europe from the US) actually materialized but the issues that both the B-29 and B-36 had with their engines doesn't lend itself to much optimism.

It is amazing when you look at the number of aircraft development projects that were either killed outright or had major issues and missed performance objectives because of engine troubles.

For every R-2800 success story there is a story of woe like the R-4360 or R-3350. The post war Westinghouse J40 is a great example of this in impacting a number of the USN's projects.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_prisoners_of_war_in_the_Soviet_Union
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/monitoring/63012.stm

The vast, vast majority of them were released by 1950, though. About 10% are presumed to have died in labor camps.

They ended up in the USSR because the Soviets declared war in August 1945 then disarmed the Japanese occupying Manchuria. Rather than being sent back to Japan like everyone else, though, they were sent into the gulags.

The GULag (Glavnoye Upravleniye Lagerei, Chief Directorate of Camps) was, you guessed it, in charge of all camps, including POW ones. There is no "everyone else" unless you're saying that some Japanese POWs were released directly by whatever Red Army unit was holding them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

cheerfullydrab posted:

That's an argument that never existed.

Uh, okay? I guess I'm mostly addressing what I read Nebakebezzer's post as suggesting here. That it's very surprising and unusual that the Soviets did this with Japanese POWs and that the West (?) would have been expected to protest it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 19, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

The GULag (Glavnoye Upravleniye Lagerei, Chief Directorate of Camps) was, you guessed it, in charge of all camps, including POW ones. There is no "everyone else" unless you're saying that some Japanese POWs were released directly by whatever Red Army unit was holding them.

By "everyone else" I meant the other allies, who simply kept POWs interred where they were until they were repatriated within a couple years of the end of the war.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fangz posted:

Uh, okay? I guess I'm mostly addressing what I read Nebakebezzer's post as suggesting here. That it's very surprising and unusual that the Soviets did this with Japanese POWs and that the West (?) would have been expected to protest it.

The fact that the Soviets didn't give up German POWs as fast as everyone wanted was A Thing politically in the late 40s and early 50s. This is in the context of the early Cold War, of course, so there was a lot of "go gently caress yourselves" involved. Still, there was pressure and it was something that people cared about. It wasn't just the fact that it was a lovely thing to do, once the ashes cooled on Tojo's Japan and Hitler's Germany everyone was scrambling to make sure those countries were in the West's camp for the Cold War. Cold War politics is a big part of why war crimes trials lost so much steam in that period as well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's a flintlock, i'd bet its an older version of the above wall gun.
nope, percussion cap

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

nope, percussion cap

pfft

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the Chinese wall guns were black powder cartridge guns firing .60 to .75 caliber bullets (there wasn't a lot of consistency in bore diameter, but the few who have them today start with 20 gauge slugs for rolling their own ammo). Punt guns were oversized shotguns.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

Isn't that a perfect example of an over designed military boondoggle? Like the f35 of the fifteenth century?
look
the dumbest thing the 17th century produced, which is saying a lot
https://leatherworkingreverendsmusings.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/the-double-armed-man/

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

haha, do you have other countries' for comparison

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Didn't the French pick up a crazy long one fighting in North Africa against light cavalry with quite long lances?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I should dig up the old panoramic shot I took of the SAC museum's big hangar, they've got a B-36 in there, snugged in with a B-52, a B-25, and a B-17 plus some other late-WWII/cold war planes. Also Curtis LeMay's desk in case you forgot what those planes were supposed to be carrying.

The B-36 is just looming back there and you don't get a sense of the scale of it until your eyes see the B-17, then the 52, then the wing and fuselage of the 36 behind it all.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HEY GAL posted:

look
the dumbest thing the 17th century produced, which is saying a lot
https://leatherworkingreverendsmusings.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/the-double-armed-man/

oh my loving god

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

haha, do you have other countries' for comparison

I wasn't kidding when I called it an arms race. Here are pictures of one of my m98/05 "butcher blade" bayos for the German G98. It's next to a set of stake knives and a pen to give you an idea of scale:

Why the steak knives? Because the company that made the bayo was a well known knife company and is still making stake knives. I had just gotten married when I took the photo and the knives were part of the wedding schwag. They still use the same little dudes on their maker's mark and everything.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Have you ever bayoneted a steak?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Have you ever bayoneted a steak?

I will admit that I cut a piece of pot roast off with the G98 bayo up there just because.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's cute. In similar vein, Fiskars is the world's leading scissors maker today but they've also made bayonets for Finnish army in the past.

FROM MOOMIN VALLEY'S HEART I STAB AT THEE!

edit: although I guess the other big Finnish knife maker Hackman has a more suitable name for these things... :ese:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 19, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I should dig up the old panoramic shot I took of the SAC museum's big hangar, they've got a B-36 in there, snugged in with a B-52, a B-25, and a B-17 plus some other late-WWII/cold war planes. Also Curtis LeMay's desk in case you forgot what those planes were supposed to be carrying.

The B-36 is just looming back there and you don't get a sense of the scale of it until your eyes see the B-17, then the 52, then the wing and fuselage of the 36 behind it all.

Wikipedia only have the one comparison picture, but I have another that's a B-17, B-47 and the Big Stick IIRC. (No access to imagehosts at work. :( )

There's also the aerial shot of a group of B-36s post-tornado. :aaa:

edit: finally fixed my spelling of that one word

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Wasn't that the alleged bayonet that if found was saw toothed on a German not lead to the happiest of consequences?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

That's cute. In similar vein, Fiskars is the world's leading scissors maker today but they've also made bayonets for Finnish army in the past.

FROM MOOMIN VALLEY'S HEART I STAB AT THEE!

edit: although I guess the other big Finnish knife maker Hackman has a more suitable name for these things... :ese:

I think that the started by making weapons in the 17th century. And iirc they've also made the shovels that the American Marines use.

xthetenth posted:

Didn't the French pick up a crazy long one fighting in North Africa against light cavalry with quite long lances?

I really want to see pics of these.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wasn't kidding when I called it an arms race. Here are pictures of one of my m98/05 "butcher blade" bayos for the German G98. It's next to a set of stake knives and a pen to give you an idea of scale:

Why the steak knives? Because the company that made the bayo was a well known knife company and is still making stake knives. I had just gotten married when I took the photo and the knives were part of the wedding schwag. They still use the same little dudes on their maker's mark and everything.

Nice!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wasn't that the alleged bayonet that if found was saw toothed on a German not lead to the happiest of consequences?

Everyone had variations on the saw toothed bayo. I'm sure there was a version of the 98/05 that was as well. I've always wondered how much truth there was to people getting killed if found with them. They weren't some kind of brutal hand to hand weapon, they were a multi-tool for engineers. Mostly they were used for hooking and raising barbed wire so it could be cleared.

I've always been skeptical of that line about people with them being killed on sight because you would think that most people involved in that war would be aware of the basic use of that kind of equipment. It just seems a lot like the sort of "hard core poo poo" story that someone comes up with after seeing one of those in a milsurp catalog in the 60s.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Everyone had variations on the saw toothed bayo. I'm sure there was a version of the 98/05 that was as well. I've always wondered how much truth there was to people getting killed if found with them. They weren't some kind of brutal hand to hand weapon, they were a multi-tool for engineers. Mostly they were used for hooking and raising barbed wire so it could be cleared.

I've always been skeptical of that line about people with them being killed on sight because you would think that most people involved in that war would be aware of the basic use of that kind of equipment. It just seems a lot like the sort of "hard core poo poo" story that someone comes up with after seeing one of those in a milsurp catalog in the 60s.

Kind of funny in the middle of a Trench Raid to suddenly grow a conscious on what is a humane killing weapon and what isn't too.

Also, I've seen Napoleonic era Sappers with blades like that. I imagine they were used for pretty much practical engineering rather that pig sticking dudes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wasn't the serrated bayonet thing in All Quiet on the Western Front? That's a pretty great starting place for a "rumor becomes truth" kind of deal.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

Wasn't the serrated bayonet thing in All Quiet on the Western Front? That's a pretty great starting place for a "rumor becomes truth" kind of deal.

It was.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

HEY GAL posted:

some english idiot thought of giving longbow archers pikes as well, is that dumb enough for you?

That sounds wonderfully stupid. Did anyone scan that text so we could see just how Ye Olde Englishman justified such idiocy?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

golden bubble posted:

That sounds wonderfully stupid. Did anyone scan that text so we could see just how Ye Olde Englishman justified such idiocy?

I'll guarantee it involves either a petty noble who thinks he's Alexander the Great or a businessman trying to sell something to the army.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll guarantee it involves either a petty noble who thinks he's Alexander the Great

I guess he really misunderstood what combined arms means :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I guess he really misunderstood what combined arms means :v:

Did you see how badass Alexander's pike dudes were? I mean, they conquered the loving world, and as I'm sure Heygal will chime in to remind everyone the pike is the best, most superior weapon ever devised. Now, imagine how much MORE effective Alexander could have been if his pike guys were also superior English longbowmen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Wikipedia only have the one comparison picture, but I have another that's a B-17, B-47 and the Big Stick IIRC. (No access to imagehosts at work. :( )

There's also the arial shot of a group of B-36s post-tornado. :aaa:

I really wish there was a way to correct the spherical distortion from the panorama function because it makes the 36 look tiny relative to how drat huge it actually is.

E: here's the tail from two angles, since it's big enough to seem like it's in the foreground -

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years and Five Days (Ish) Ago

It's the 14th of April: General Haig is in London. And he's having a very interesting chat with Colonel Swinton about many things to do with the deployment and procurement of tanks. Sadly, both men's memories concerning a few important details are, ahem, not exactly in accord. Someone's telling porkies. More to come on that score. The Russians begin their final march on Trebizond; some French pilots write harrowing and gory stories from the recent close-range air combat over Verdun; Edward Mousley can barely keep his food down; Flora Sandes has a comedy misunderstanding with one of her privates; and Bernard Adams has yet more relevant and pointed observations from the front about the nature of self-censorship.

By the way, longtime readers of 100 Years Ago will recall Louis Barthas's long-departed friend Father Galaup and his adventures in No Man's Land, trying to souvenir a saw-toothed bayonet for himself.

quote:

The abbé Galaup was haunted for some time by the desire to find a German rifle with a sawtoothed bayonet attached, to take home as a souvenir. The Germans had one of these in each squad, in case it was needed to cut a branch, saw up a wooden plank, etc. Of course they would occasionally put it on the end of a rifle, to cut through a thorax or a belly. It served double duty.
Father Galaup, in search of this combination weapon-tool, went out into the fog each morning, at the risk of intercepting a bullet along the way.
One day, he told me that if I wanted a revolver and a nice pair of binoculars, he would point them out to me. The next day, accepting this offer, I went to the place he indicated, where an enormous shell had exploded right in the middle of a group of French soldiers mounting an assault, decapitating and frightfully mutilating a dozen men, who were now nothing more than bloody scraps. I spotted the binoculars and the revolver on the ground, still in their leather cases. I quickly grabbed them and fled, appalled by the horrible scene.
With the help of these binoculars, the abbé Galaup ended up finding the object of his desire, a precious sawtoothed bayonet at the end of a rifle held by a dead German, a few paces from the trench, tangled up in a mass of barbed wire. You’d have to be crazy to want to go out, even at night, to look for a weapon like this, risking nine chances out of ten to be killed for a bayonet, even a sawtoothed one. Probably no man in the regiment would have attempted it.
Well, this priest tried it. The following night he crept out, succeeded in getting his fascinating bayonet, and came back without arousing the attention of the Germans. But while he was coming back he lost his way and stumbled upon a listening post of a neighboring company, where two sentinels fired on him but missed. At the very moment that he got away from this post, a 105mm shell fell right onto it, killing the two sentinels.

The abbé Galaup offered profound thanks to Providence, which favored him in this rash enterprise and kept him safe from such serious dangers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

I will admit that I cut a piece of pot roast off with the G98 bayo up there just because.

I've used my Mosin bayonet and Romanian AK bayonet to open packaging before because they were the only blades close at hand and I was too lazy to walk across the house for scissors.

My Mosin itself has only one casualty in my hands: a spider I smashed with the buttplate once. Considering that it's a 1938 made 91/30, it has a decent chance of having some human casualties far in its past.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll guarantee it involves either a petty noble who thinks he's Alexander the Great or a businessman trying to sell something to the army.

Would his surname bear any resemblance to "sparks" or "sparky" or something?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I give you: AIRPOWER

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

golden bubble posted:

here's an excerpt
https://books.google.com/books?id=-...d%20man&f=false

it's bad

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did you see how badass Alexander's pike dudes were? I mean, they conquered the loving world, and as I'm sure Heygal will chime in to remind everyone the pike is the best, most superior weapon ever devised.
it's true

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I give you: AIRPOWER

Nice, I like the Sabre Dog and Delta Dart action.

Which airframes are still in use from this picture:
B-52
C-130
(insert a letter)C-135

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

razak posted:

Nice, I like the Sabre Dog and Delta Dart action.

Which airframes are still in use from this picture:
B-52
C-130
(insert a letter)C-135

NASA still has a couple of B-57s heavily modified to do meteorological poo poo.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Regarding explosives on sticks.
The US Army's MOUT (Military Operations on Urbanised Terrain) manual has a diagram of strapping a Claymore mine on the end of a longish pole. Swing it around a corner, and blast those Warsaw Pact troops with your single use shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I've used my Mosin bayonet and Romanian AK bayonet to open packaging before because they were the only blades close at hand and I was too lazy to walk across the house for scissors.

My Mosin itself has only one casualty in my hands: a spider I smashed with the buttplate once. Considering that it's a 1938 made 91/30, it has a decent chance of having some human casualties far in its past.

The end of a Mosin bayo is also a really handy flathead screwdriver.

I'm pretty certain this is by design, as it is the perfect sized screwdriver for taking out the majority of the screws on the Mosin itself.

• Locked thread